Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
these people's handwriting is poo poo, who is resigning here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Also you can't vote for the seas of Scotland to be teeming with fish again, you need to sink the fishing fleet and keep everyone else out for 50 years.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jBrereton posted:

these people's handwriting is poo poo, who is resigning here?

That's from all 13 Scottish Tory MPs

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

13 Tories Representing Scottish Seats you mean? Don't see Fox or Gove on there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jBrereton posted:

13 Tories Representing Scottish Seats you mean?

Yes

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

OK, this is a bit of a weird question, but I don’t really have anyone’s else to ask. Does anyone know about valuing jewellery? I’m sorting out my mum’s estate and I have to give a valuation for tax purposes. This is mainly sorted but I have a ring that my grandmother gave my mum that I’m kind of stumped by. I’m pretty sure it’s not worth anything significant, but I don’t know poo poo about jewellery so there is a possibility that it is actually very expensive.

Can I just take it to any jewellery shop and ask them to take a look and give a rough estimate, or do I have to pay some official valuator or something?

Fairly sure you can just go into a jewellers and get them to appraise it on headed paper. Not sure if you'd need to pay for that, but I can't imagine it'd cost much if you did.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Comrade Fakename posted:

OK, this is a bit of a weird question, but I don’t really have anyone’s else to ask. Does anyone know about valuing jewellery? I’m sorting out my mum’s estate and I have to give a valuation for tax purposes. This is mainly sorted but I have a ring that my grandmother gave my mum that I’m kind of stumped by. I’m pretty sure it’s not worth anything significant, but I don’t know poo poo about jewellery so there is a possibility that it is actually very expensive.

Can I just take it to any jewellery shop and ask them to take a look and give a rough estimate, or do I have to pay some official valuator or something?

There are places that will give a rough estimate, but without a proper examination the value could fluctuate wildly. If the ring is effectively costume jewelry they will be able too say there and then without further issue.

You can take it in for a proper examination which will cost a fee. The amount of the fee will usually depend on the assessed value of the item. The examiner will also be able to give you a full breakdown of the cut, clarity, colour and Carat of any gemstones in the ring along with the metal grade.

For this kind of a service you will probably pay around £50 for something around the £1,000 value.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
oh they're not even resigning they're just "warning" tess may, pfft

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Important graph in that thread, showing when Britain added the diagonal stripes to become the UK in 1988, and when Harold Macmillan abolished the Test Act 1672, allowing shellfish to be full citizens in 1957.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any idea how long this cabinet meeting is meant to take?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jBrereton posted:

oh they're not even resigning they're just "warning" tess may, pfft

The MPs file into May's office, one by one, each going "why i oughta :argh:" and then leaving.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Bardeh posted:

Any idea how long this cabinet meeting is meant to take?

Three hours.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the common fisheries policy arguing around brexit is absolutely the dumbest part of it. This NYT article from ealrier this year about grimsby is a good example. It used to be a fishing town but that died up and now its main industry is fish trading. Brexit, particularly no deal, is going to absolutely destroy the industry but it voted heavily leave so that they could fish all they wanted again

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/business/grimsby-brexit.html

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Aphex- posted:

I know the reason was political posturing and setting up for what they thought would be an easy election win, but I still cannot get over how they triggered article 50 before actually figuring out how it would all work in practice and having a plan. How the actual gently caress anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me, and it makes me so mad.

I know I should be used to the tories thinking it's all a game to them and playing with the lives of the whole country, but for the life of me I just don't understand why they can't just do what makes sense.

Someone's never had a "danger wank".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheRat posted:

including https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1062717453162110977

so a resignation forthcoming, mayhapp

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I demand a free unicorn https://twitter.com/RossThomson_MP/status/1062721691997167616

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The people of Peterhead voted for 350 million fish per week, how dare remoaners stab them in the back.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The War on Fish will continue until there are no fish left for anyone. Great plan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

We must debate this titan of ideology

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1062727005584744449

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tsietisin posted:

There are places that will give a rough estimate, but without a proper examination the value could fluctuate wildly. If the ring is effectively costume jewelry they will be able too say there and then without further issue.

You can take it in for a proper examination which will cost a fee. The amount of the fee will usually depend on the assessed value of the item. The examiner will also be able to give you a full breakdown of the cut, clarity, colour and Carat of any gemstones in the ring along with the metal grade.

For this kind of a service you will probably pay around £50 for something around the £1,000 value.

I think I looked into this when I bought my wife's engagement ring and think I was quoted £15 for a valuation. Just ring some local jewellers and they'll point you in the right direction - some can do it there and then and some have to send it away.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Honestly even though May has made an incredible cock-up of this whole process I won't be too sad if we "leave" the EU by essentially staying in it but removing all our political power. The status quo for the average person wouldn't really change. National pride would take a knock but the era of the UK being an imperial power is over anyway so it won't have a tangible effect.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Octolady posted:

Even if a GE was called and even if Corbyn did get elected I’m not 100% convinced he wouldn’t be immediately assassinated by some right wing nut.

I have no hope, is what I’m saying.

There's been several plots to assassinate him already, most famously the gammons who tried to ram raid a mosque in Corbyn's constituency. They switched plans because they're more worried about making him a martyr and empowering John McDonnell or a more authoritarian lefty instead of kindly old Jam Grandad.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I thought they changed plans because they simply couldn’t find him?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They changed plans because there were bollards, security, and a crowd. Which they didn't expect. lol

Jose posted:

We must debate this titan of ideology
https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1062729282982531074

That's a solid burn by Bannon against Macron.

Guess white nats can smell their own.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/1062665642829078528

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/lucianaberger/status/1062730132857724930

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

the common fisheries policy arguing around brexit is absolutely the dumbest part of it. This NYT article from ealrier this year about grimsby is a good example. It used to be a fishing town but that died up and now its main industry is fish trading. Brexit, particularly no deal, is going to absolutely destroy the industry but it voted heavily leave so that they could fish all they wanted again

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/business/grimsby-brexit.html

I enjoyed the skipper who's mystified as to why teens would rather snapchat at each other than die at sea for grimsby's fish profits.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Probate value has to be 'open market value' - what you would get if you tried to sell it as it is whereas 'insurance value' is to replace it as is (perhaps have it hand made for example if it is special so that could be a lot higher). IMHO that makes a high st jeweller's valuation perfectly adequate but as has been suggested, you might ask HMRC.

You may find the discussion on this link informative:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5588919

Edit: HMRC "Then estimate the value of each on the date the person died. Use the asset’s realistic selling price on the open market."
https://www.gov.uk/valuing-estate-of-someone-who-died/estimate-estate-value

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 14, 2018

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

They can sit until 7 if they can make the adjournment debate last that long. Today's debate "Changes to police employee pension contributions". NB speeches have to be on topic, so good luck!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Blair says May's Brexit deal 'a capitulation'
And here is a quote from the Tony Blair speech this afternoon. He described the deal, on the basis of what has been reported about it, as a “capitulation”. He said:

Nothing can disguise the nature of the deal [Theresa May] has chosen, if reports of it are true. This deal isn’t a compromise, it’s a capitulation.

The withdrawal agreement will keep us tied to EU trade policy until there is an end established by ‘joint consent’ - in other words, the EU has a veto.

It is coated in heavy fudge, but that is the inedible biscuit beneath the coating.

Blair also said that the proposals had united him and Boris Johnson in “unholy alliance”, adding:

We agree this is a pointless Brexit in name only which is not the best of a bad job but the worst of both worlds. In the cause of ‘taking back control’ we lose the control we had.

https://twitter.com/clickhole/status/960568745298223104?lang=en

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Once the US pol megathread changes its title, can we have it instead.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

It is coated in heavy fudge, but that is the inedible biscuit beneath the coating.

What

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I just skived off work early because I got in at 8am. On my way to the train station I get offered a big issue. I respond (truthfully) that I'm sorry but I have no cash, and the seller responded with a roll of her eyes and called me what I can only presume to be a oval office in a language I don't know.
Thing is I'm now sat at the station waiting for my train and I know that in about 10 minutes this woman will come and get the same train as me to the same destination 40-odd miles away, because I see her do this 2 or 3 times a month.
I don't buy into bullshit about beggars living lives of luxury off handouts from a gullible but well-meaning public, but I gotta wonder why she's presumably spending 15 quid a throw to sell the big issue in a town 40 miles away from where she lives.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Oxford Union has form for this kind of thing.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The fudge is the nice words about a deal covering the biscuit which is actually a loving terrible deal for both remainers and leavers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they get 'recommended' to go certain places outside of cities on a rota or something. There's a lady that sells it on odd days around here, outside the shop in a small village in Leicestershire. She's from Leicester. Due to the crowding of sellers in the city and lack of ones in the county something something efficient marketization.

I hope they get expenses, but I seem to recall the person whose brainson it was is a big libertarian or something.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I think they get 'recommended' to go certain places outside of cities on a rota or something. There's a lady that sells it on odd days around here, outside the shop in a small village in Leicestershire. She's from Leicester. Due to the crowding of sellers in the city and lack of ones in the county something something efficient marketization.

I hope they get expenses, but I seem to recall the person whose brainson it was is a big libertarian or something.

Well I find the whole idea of training the impoverished to be pathetic imitations of capitalist entrepreneurs, by selling a magazine on street corners, to be pretty disgusting to begin with.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

communism bitch posted:

I just skived off work early because I got in at 8am. On my way to the train station I get offered a big issue. I respond (truthfully) that I'm sorry but I have no cash, and the seller responded with a roll of her eyes and called me what I can only presume to be a oval office in a language I don't know.
Thing is I'm now sat at the station waiting for my train and I know that in about 10 minutes this woman will come and get the same train as me to the same destination 40-odd miles away, because I see her do this 2 or 3 times a month.
I don't buy into bullshit about beggars living lives of luxury off handouts from a gullible but well-meaning public, but I gotta wonder why she's presumably spending 15 quid a throw to sell the big issue in a town 40 miles away from where she lives.

Must admit, I've asked a couple of the BI sellers in my town where they're from and it's about 20 miles away and costs £8 return on the bus. I've also seen things which make me suspect they (these particular sellers) are being run by some kind of gang-master (though they have the legit vest etc). Mine's a small town and they really can't be making enough to cover much more than the bus fare. Heck I can't even afford to take a job in that town because it would take me 2-3 hours to get there by bus and use up the first hour's pay at NMW (approx what is available there for most jobs).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Flayer posted:

The fudge is the nice words about a deal covering the biscuit which is actually a loving terrible deal for both remainers and leavers.

So it's a polished turd, but altered to not be so disgusting? (A polished turd, if you will)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Must admit, I've asked a couple of the BI sellers in my town where they're from and it's about 20 miles away and costs £8 return on the bus. I've also seen things which make me suspect they (these particular sellers) are being run by some kind of gang-master (though they have the legit vest etc).

This is exactly what I wondered. I don't have a single shred of evidence to support it.