Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That is exceptionally good behaviour for wrestlers.

e: I mean the lack of bad behaviour is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

As others see it :
https://twitter.com/ChadTKoch1/status/1062521999354785792

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The new narrative seems to be that evil SJWs are insulting Stan Lee and that's driving people towards cgate again.

I assume what's actually happening is people just making the usual statements about Lee having a very contentious and mixed history in comics witj Kirby etc and it's being blown up by the usual reprobates?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think what's actually happening is that they're just using any old excuse to go back to Comicsgate because they were planning to anyway.

Stan Lee's death is just convenient for these people.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I mean, it's the Internet and there's a fair bit of "Stan Lee was a greedy corporate hack leeching off of Jack Kirby's creativity gently caress that guy he never did a single thing good other than dying" style hot takes, but those have existed at least since the 1980s. Some of them were performatively extreme, my favorite one being pulling this quote out as a great encapsulation of Stan Lee's career, and not even the worst thing he did:

This story is pretty unflattering to Stan Lee, he was racist and drove away a black comic artist!

Except:

I think this is the only 'novel' anti-Lee thing I've seen cropped up since his passing.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Pierson posted:

The new narrative seems to be that evil SJWs are insulting Stan Lee and that's driving people towards cgate again.

I assume what's actually happening is people just making the usual statements about Lee having a very contentious and mixed history in comics witj Kirby etc and it's being blown up by the usual reprobates?

Some of it comes from a few people linking to the false stories of Stan Lee sexually harassing his nurses that came out during some of the worst of the time when everybody was trying to take all his money. Also, because he apparently once said he thought Peter Parker should continue to be straight and white in the movies, so therefore he's homophobic and racist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure comicsgate people are gonna try to reopen this poo poo whenever they can because a lot of them seem to have their financial success tied to it. Because no matter the medium the right wing grift machine is strong.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also they''re all terrible people and this is one of the only things they have going for them. When you're a piece of poo poo you tend to keep doing piece of poo poo things.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
As Rian Johnson put it recently:

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1020552165683691520?s=20

Now, Rian is a white cishet male so he's talking from privelage, but I share it to remind us that groups like comicsgate are small in number. They're aren't a wave or army, they're the same small group of jerks. They're jerks who make money on being jerks. So, of course they'll use any excuse to come back, but they're numbers are exagerrated. I doubt any of these guys who claim they left actually left. This is an excuse to get attention and intimdate.

Make no mistake, CG is dying without leadership. We should be vigiliant and continue telling Nazis to fuckoff, but we shouldn't view this as some resurgence. This is like giving advil to a corpse: it ain't fixing poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bringing Lee into the conversation does add a weird dimension to CG. They talk about going back to the comics were when they were younger, and the misplaced belief that comics were non-political back in the good old days, but if you look at Lee (and others) output during their peak you see that Lee and Kirby created Black Panther, X-Men comics were a stand in for minorities, Spiderman was just a regular shlub trying to do the right thing for others etc. The stories being pumped out by Marvel during Lee's tenure were about acceptance and tolerance.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And punching Nazis. Let's not forget that.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah, but give credit where it is due. That was Kriby's contribution.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Bringing Lee into the conversation does add a weird dimension to CG. They talk about going back to the comics were when they were younger, and the misplaced belief that comics were non-political back in the good old days, but if you look at Lee (and others) output during their peak you see that Lee and Kirby created Black Panther, X-Men comics were a stand in for minorities, Spiderman was just a regular shlub trying to do the right thing for others etc. The stories being pumped out by Marvel during Lee's tenure were about acceptance and tolerance.

Obligatory

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/PPVSRB/status/1062793823775047680?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That's good news actually, increases the likelihood of Perlmutter getting shot during a home invasion.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

You either autoban a hero, or live to see yourself written off as a talentless fag

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I am just shocked that NY's permit system was exploited to only let the rich and connected get guns.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Internet Wizard posted:

I am just shocked that NY's permit system was exploited to only let the rich and connected get guns.

You forgot the /sarcasm.

Also, to be honest, it is actually pretty easy to get a gun in New York. You just have to go to your local municipality and fill out some paperwork and pay a small fee. Sometimes they require you to take a safety course, but if you have a clean criminal record they don't scrutnize you too much. They probably should though. It's simply too easy to get one and that means a lot of people who shouldn't are getting them.

Covok fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 17, 2018

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Was Hitler B. Natural a Death Ray alt?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah just some FYAD idiot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, Bill Maher said "only in a nation where adults read comics could Trump be elected" as response to Stan Lee's death.

This summaries my feelings:
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/1063823975434866688?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1063871261808476160

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've always thought Maher was an unfunny hack, and lost even most respect for him when he made his talk show into a forum for people like Milo Y. and Steve Bannon, but that really pissed me off. I have a scholarly article coming out next year about comics, so on top of dissing Stan Lee and all comic book fans, I got so steamed when he said that kind of writing isn't even real scholarship. I'm sure he has plenty of advanced degrees to know the difference.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Maher’s outspoken and public bigotry and racism go back a long time. He’s a real piece of poo poo.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

hadji murad posted:

Maher’s outspoken and public bigotry and racism go back a long time. He’s a real piece of poo poo.

Yes but he like weed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The dude is the most liberal liberal. He is against bad stuff in the abstract but he is more than willing to pal around with lovely people and go with their views when more convenient

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

The dude is the most liberal liberal. He is against bad stuff in the abstract but he is more than willing to pal around with lovely people and go with their views when more convenient

Please don't mix up definitions here. He's a neoliberal. Or my theory, which is he's a full on Trump loving conservative (see everything he's ever said about Muslims and trans people) who's bullshitting for money. A smarter Roseanne.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In the 90's, in the middle of the AIDS crisis, Bill Maher said giving clean needles to junkies was the same as giving condoms to rapists. He's always been a poo poo head.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

Please don't mix up definitions here. He's a neoliberal. Or my theory, which is he's a full on Trump loving conservative (see everything he's ever said about Muslims and trans people) who's bullshitting for money. A smarter Roseanne.
I ain’t mixing up definitions, I can’t call him a neoliberal as I only know his social positions not his economic ones.

His social position is the most liberal version.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He's to the left as Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh is to the right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Isnt he a libertarian

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

site posted:

Isnt he a libertarian

He used to say he was but he's pulled back on it recently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't get idiot centrist Democrats to watch your show if you're a libertarian.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

mallratcal posted:

He used to say he was but he's pulled back on it recently.

with how much the democrats have moved to the right he’s probably had to adjust definitions

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's fuckin' weird to see Snyder post something like that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remember after Roseanne got taken off the air and conservatives were threatening to get Bill Maher taken off the air in revenge and everyone was like "two for one deal, yes please."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kai Tave posted:

Remember after Roseanne got taken off the air and conservatives were threatening to get Bill Maher taken off the air in revenge and everyone was like "two for one deal, yes please."

That was the best.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's kind of sad in a pathetic way to see Mahr troll the comics community to achieve any amount of relevance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kai Tave posted:

If only they managed to actually do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

site posted:

If only they managed to actually do it

Well we live in the worst timeline so you can't expect too many good things to happen, but it was still nice of them to offer.