Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Barudak posted:

It is both. The recommendation is to level all characters to 75 at minimum (and look up optimal setups because of the next part) and have a few hours to spare since its a 10 boss fight rush no saves.

It's really only 60-90 minutes, though it's still pretty bad since if you lose to the final boss you have to repeat the boss rush again. As for levels, high 60's/Low 70's are fine if you have a decent strat, and you could probably get away with lower if you've got some good enough strats and gear. Main thing is all eight characters have to be prepared since it's a two-tier fight that uses two different parties.

That said, if you're looking for story resolution, the final boss has jack. The eight bosses before it has some great background lore that ties things together, but you can also just skip that and look that stuff up too. Really, the only reason to fight the final boss is for the fun of a really difficult boss, which again, is dampened by the mandatory boss rush before each attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If there wasnt an 8 boss refight no saves rush prior to tackling the final boss I think people would be fine recommending lower levels. Unfortunately because of how gosh darn long and punishing losing is, people are going to recommend wildly overleveling to help ensure you only ever do it once.

Its really bad design in a game that otherwise is relatively thoughtfully put together.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Starseer's kicking my poo poo in.

I had a bit of trouble with Sorcerer due to the blanket buff-proofing he'd do everynow and then but that move wouldn't take away your buffs. I was trying for a dancer+reflect strategy but Starseer can just get rid of them... If I were to reflect would transfer rune work with that? That way at least I can focus on other things with the other members while one pulls a Warmaster Tressa?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Just put Alfyn in and Concoct your way to victory.

This strategy works well for near everything until the final boss, because you can't put Concoct on both teams.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Transfer Rune only works on self-buffs, so the Runes, Sidestep, Rest, and Olberic's self-buffs.

Unfortunately, Starseer's the only one of the four you can't really cheese. I'd try to get the final Cleric passive on everyone you can and use Alfyn's Concoct to overheal those characters to 9999. When Alfyn isn't healing, he should be feeding everyone BP. I don't really remember too much about the fight sadly, so I don't really have better advice.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Folt The Bolt posted:

There's also kickass music, but that's par for the course.

The music of the final boss is worth the boss rush, imo. The story stuff also.

But one should expect to fight the final boss at least twice, because the mechanics of the fight don't click immidiately, imo. Or, to phrase that better, once they clicked for me, I realized I had the wrong guys with wrong jobs in the wrong group.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Beat Starseer and wrapped up my main Cyrus's story. Now to do the rest of them!

Except I heard that there's extra conversations one can get in taverns, how do you get those?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Beat Starseer and wrapped up my main Cyrus's story. Now to do the rest of them!

Except I heard that there's extra conversations one can get in taverns, how do you get those?

Go into any tavern with the right party once you've beat any of the Chapter 4s.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Go into any tavern with the right party once you've beat any of the Chapter 4s.

I did that and I got one conversation. I haven't been able to get any of the others to activate since.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I did that and I got one conversation. I haven't been able to get any of the others to activate since.

Just go around and fight some battles then.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Just go around and fight some battles then.

Ok cool. I'll be sure to get them all sooner or later in that case. Going to tackle H'annit's story next. She's the weakest of my bunch because I never use her (preferring to have a second hunter elsewhere for the Trap). I've made her a Warmaster in hopes that it makes her more useful to me.

Has anyone found a good source for info on her captures including their locations and stats (power, usage etc?)

That this game doesn't have a beastiary is mind-boggling. Same with Villagers, what's the point of guiding/alluring them if you don't have a go-to reference of what they can do? Scrutinize/Inquire could've filled that niche making it both more interesting to do it to people so as to fill up a little book divided by towns and telling you who lives there and what purpose they have, if any. I'm sure there won't be DLC or anything but that's what they need. It'd open up the game much in the way Hero's Path did BotW.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Capture Guide
Allure/Guide Guide

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

OMG. I'm almost finished with the game but this is exactly what I had in mind. :worship:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's a lot of good resources out there, but they're pretty spread out so it's kinda difficult to find them on Google or whatever.

There's another good general-purpose spreadsheet with (:siren: SPOILERS :siren:) equipment locations and a list of every Side Story if you somehow feel compelled to 100% the game. A lot of the post-game side stories are kinda neat because they serve as mini-epilogues for most of the NPCs from the main quests, but they're not essential to do.

e: As for Tavern Chats, this post has a list of required characters to trigger them. I think what you have to do is fast travel between towns, and after ten or so towns a new one will trigger. I believe that's what worked for me, at least, but it might be a bit finicky.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

There's a lot of good resources out there, but they're pretty spread out so it's kinda difficult to find them on Google or whatever.

There's another good general-purpose spreadsheet with (:siren: SPOILERS :siren:) equipment locations and a list of every Side Story if you somehow feel compelled to 100% the game. A lot of the post-game side stories are kinda neat because they serve as mini-epilogues for most of the NPCs from the main quests, but they're not essential to do.

e: As for Tavern Chats, this post has a list of required characters to trigger them. I think what you have to do is fast travel between towns, and after ten or so towns a new one will trigger. I believe that's what worked for me, at least, but it might be a bit finicky.

Sounds good. I'll get them all eventually. I'm still on the fence about the end-game end-game. I'll try it once or twice most likely, but if it's a slog it's a slog. I almost didn't do the Darker Side in Odyssey because I just hated having to do the whole gauntlet, it's mercifully not that long, but until you get some of the earlier bits down it's just a pain.

I definitely plan on finishing the side-quests, I hardly remember most of the characters at this point, my playing has been so sporadic, but the game has enough charm that I do enjoy reading the text offered. However playing it still wavers between fun and an obligation I'm fulfilling. I'm not letting myself get a new game until I beat this one because I'll never go back to it again, but there are things I obviously want to buy. Still it's not like anything will get pulled off the market anytime soon, and the longer I wait the cheaper things'll become so really it's not that big of a deal.

Finally beating Star-seer and Cyrus's story was a lot of fun, the dungeon crawling getting to those bosses less so. Unimpressive as they may be I do really appreciate the short length of the dungeons in the game. That some common mobs are HP sponges though (thinking about those golems). Less cool.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I thought Starseer was cheesable in about the same way that Sorceror was, and that after you beat Sorceror, you can just setup auspices + sorc spells to break her and loop her.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yukari posted:

I thought Starseer was cheesable in about the same way that Sorceror was, and that after you beat Sorceror, you can just setup auspices + sorc spells to break her and loop her.

It pretty much is. She just requires a touch more planning since she can debuff anyone at will and you need to think about Confusion. But once that was taken care of way simpler.

Also breaking her is far more efficient than other bosses, even if it's a pointless break (not doing major attacks in that cycle). I really like planning for hard hitting breaks, using side-step, reflect, or just ample healing to buff my heavy hitter/debuff the boss and get everyone ready with max boost. I'll hover the boss with 1 or 2 SP up until then and then unleash it all for a single turn that hits for 50k or so.

Maybe it's better to break more often and hit for far less? I just like the planning that goes into the former, it's far more fun, than just scrambling out breaks as soon as possible.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I just got the four advanced jobs this weekend after "unlocking" all the Chapter 4 towns, but before having started any Chapter 4s. My three "main" characters were all around level 65 and I didn't have to do any cheese strategies. Starseer was the first and I needed to use one Energizing Pomegranate and one soulstone--which is the only time I've had to use items in a boss fight. For the rest I could just use BP Boost.

I guess I'm way overleveled, but I haven't been grinding. Just doing everything in order of danger levels and completing most of the quests as I can along the way.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I beat the four advanced jobs and all the Chapter 4s between 45 and 50. You’re way overleveled.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of, any particularly recommended order and party setups for taking on the bonus bosses? I tried Warmaster with Alchemist Tressa, Warrior Ophelia, Scholar Primrose, and Hunter Therion, with all around 50, and did alright right up until I hit the halfway point and found out that the Dancer divine skill doesn’t let Tressa give dodge to the whole party. And the one guide I found on gamefaqs apparently omits them entirely.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of, any particularly recommended order and party setups for taking on the bonus bosses? I tried Warmaster with Alchemist Tressa, Warrior Ophelia, Scholar Primrose, and Hunter Therion, with all around 50, and did alright right up until I hit the halfway point and found out that the Dancer divine skill doesn’t let Tressa give dodge to the whole party. And the one guide I found on gamefaqs apparently omits them entirely.

Absolutely! The easiest ones are probably Runemaster and Archmagus.

Runemaster: Warrior Tressa with Incite and Sidestep will totally cheese his first phase(s) and you can poison him to keep the damage going. Eventually he'll start using multitarget attacks, but that's pretty late in the fight.

Archmagus: Wait out the five turns for the initial debuff to wear off and break him. While he's broken, set up the Dancer Divine Skill on your Cleric, which will let you put Reflective Veil on your whole team. At that point, you basically just have to wait him out, because he'll keep breaking himself on your shields.

Warmaster: If you've beaten Runemaster, this fight is free, because Runelord Tressa can put Sidestep on the whole party and she can't touch you.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Thanks, looking forward to giving them a spin later on, then.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I did it with Olberic, but yeah same idea.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I did it with Olberic, but yeah same idea.

Sure, either Warrior/Merchant combination can work. Tressa was my main.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
If you can't survive the first 5 turns against the Archmagus put the cleric overhealing passive on everyone and then drop a big heal at the beginning of the fight

This helps against basically everything as well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Licarn posted:

If you can't survive the first 5 turns against the Archmagus put the cleric overhealing passive on everyone and then drop a big heal at the beginning of the fight

This helps against basically everything as well.

That overheal passive is bonkers when you use the best Olive of Life reviving for 9999hp, a number I'm so far from ever achieving and never even reach with a big heal.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That overheal passive is bonkers when you use the best Olive of Life reviving for 9999hp, a number I'm so far from ever achieving and never even reach with a big heal.

You can also pull that with a Purifying Seed plus Essence of Grape.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Trasson posted:

You can also pull that with a Purifying Seed plus Essence of Grape.

And throw Dohter's Charity on top of that...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, Sorcerer and Starseer were a total joke compared to the other two.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So I've played most of the game (chapters 2-3) with two Scholars which was pretty great since they AoE nuke everything. But it takes a bit of setup and effort to get them to pull decent single-hit damage on bosses.

After getting Runelord I tried the Runes on a whim followed by an unboosted Forbidden Spear attack. 9,999 damage. WTF? Then I tried Transfer Rune on a rune, and my Starseer/Sorcerer are now hitting at least 10,000. This poo poo is totally broken. How does the scaling even work here? I know it's EA of the weapon used, which I have a few 300+ ones but it must be some crazy multiplier.

Also, is there any point to boosting a rune other than multiple physical hits? Right now it's actually a really great inversion to be able to hold onto BP while doing damage attacks so I can use them for buffs or Steorra's Prophecy, which is now hitting 25,000. This seems bonkers though as I was expecting the Sorcerer class to be the high DPS hitter, but now it really seems more useful for breaks and relying on Starseer or Runelord.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Assuming applying the rune itself, I think it just extends the duration.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I found it better to boost transfer rune instead of you plan to do that. It gives you more flexibility for less mp efficiency. But at that point you can probably heal your mp pretty easily if you need to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

H’alright, so, I’m just finishing up with all of the sidequests now, and then I’m going to look into finally doing the final dungeon.

All of my characters (except H’aanit) are in their mid-60s to low 70s, and have assloads of JP with most Jobs at least leveled up to unlock the associated divine skill.

1. Any particular recommendations for party compositions beyond “have a Cleric in both groups” and having a Runelord Tressa for Sidestep shenanigans?

2. Ditto for Skills beyond the one that ups the damage cap for all of my offensive party members.

3. Any other things I should do for preparation, like specific beasts I should try to tame with H’aanit?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Regalingualius posted:

H’alright, so, I’m just finishing up with all of the sidequests now, and then I’m going to look into finally doing the final dungeon.

All of my characters (except H’aanit) are in their mid-60s to low 70s, and have assloads of JP with most Jobs at least leveled up to unlock the associated divine skill.

1. Any particular recommendations for party compositions beyond “have a Cleric in both groups” and having a Runelord Tressa for Sidestep shenanigans?

2. Ditto for Skills beyond the one that ups the damage cap for all of my offensive party members.

3. Any other things I should do for preparation, like specific beasts I should try to tame with H’aanit?

Both groups need a cleric, dancer, and apoth. First round heavily benefits from a sorcerer. Save your warmaster, and runelord for second round.

This setup is pretty good if you want specific suggestions:

Part 1:
* Primrose as Cleric
* Olberic as Apothecary
* Therion as Merchant
* Cyrus as Sorceror
Part 2:
* Tressa as Runelord
* Ophilia as Dancer
* Alfyn as Starseer
* Haanit as Warmaster

Skills wise, the tier-4 cleric skill (overheal) is mando for everyone, and surpassing power for runelord and warmaster. If you seriously have JP flowing out of your ears, consider getting the tier-4 runelord and warmaster buffs for everyone — having permanent pdef/mdef buffs that can’t be dispelled is super handy.

Load up everyone with the best armor you can get; you want everyone to have at least 650 mdef.

H’aanit beasts don’t matter; they don’t scale anywhere near what she can put out with personal weapons or skills, esp if she’s getting transfer rune.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 25, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ullerrm posted:

Both groups need a cleric, dancer, and apoth. First round heavily benefits from a sorcerer. Save your starseer, warmaster, and runelord for second round.

Skills wise, the tier-4 cleric skill (overheal) is mando for everyone. If you seriously have JP flowing out of your ears, consider getting the tier-4 runelord and warmaster buffs for everyone — having permanent pdef/mdef buffs that can’t be dispelled is super handy.

Load up everyone with the best armor you can get; you want everyone to have at least 650 mdef.

H’aanit beasts don’t matter; they don’t scale anywhere near what she can put out with personal weapons or skills, esp if she’s getting transfer rune.

I'm getting close to the same place. Is there a good guide in general to follow? It may be a bit cowardly but I'd like to get it right in one go. Also why an apothecary? As a class I don't find it that useful, it's concoct that breaks the game.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm getting close to the same place. Is there a good guide in general to follow? It may be a bit cowardly but I'd like to get it right in one go. Also why an apothecary? As a class I don't find it that useful, it's concoct that breaks the game.

Google “Galdera guide” and you’ll find plenty of guides. Expect to take a few tries even with help — its a brutal fight with multiple potential one-hit party wipes.

Apoth is mandatory for its divine, Dohter’s Charity, which makes one person’s items affect all. Whoever gets it can full-heal and full-BP the entire party with a single Revitalizing Jam in one round.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh right that makes sense.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Huh, I got through it without Dohter’s Charity on anyone.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ullerrm posted:

Both groups need a cleric, dancer, and apoth. First round heavily benefits from a sorcerer. Save your warmaster, and runelord for second round.

This setup is pretty good if you want specific suggestions:

Part 1:
* Primrose as Cleric
* Olberic as Apothecary
* Therion as Merchant
* Cyrus as Sorceror
Part 2:
* Tressa as Runelord
* Ophilia as Dancer
* Alfyn as Starseer
* Haanit as Warmaster

Skills wise, the tier-4 cleric skill (overheal) is mando for everyone, and surpassing power for runelord and warmaster. If you seriously have JP flowing out of your ears, consider getting the tier-4 runelord and warmaster buffs for everyone — having permanent pdef/mdef buffs that can’t be dispelled is super handy.

Thanks for all of this, really. Gonna spend some time grinding H’aanit today, then on to the final boss rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I made Cyrus a Starseer myself. Seemed wasteful to give him all the magic because he'd never actually use his Scholar skills at that point. Having Alfyn be something as useful as Starseer seems silly since I just have him Concoct 24/7, and the other skills would just go to waste. But that's just me. I have yet to get to that point in the game so I'll see how I do when I do.