Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Schools were closed in my godless blue state today :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Inspector_666 posted:

You ever seen the movie Thief? There's a great little monologue in there about loyalty and gratitude from James Caan.

If you haven't seen it, fix that immediately. Probably Michael Mann's best work?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just did this interview thing where, a website gives you a question prompt to look at for 20 seconds then immediately starts recording your webcam for three minutes.

I have to say that was really tough, and I hope more companies aren't gonna adopt this poo poo. Twenty seconds isn't long enough to read a prompt think of an answer and then articulate it well when you don't even have a human to play off of.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wasted opportunity to goatse a company for 3 mins

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ya'll want a printer to work on?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GreenNight posted:

At least the roller isn't gouged out by idiot workers cutting labels off with a box cutter.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Vargatron posted:

At least the roller isn't gouged out by idiot workers cutting labels off with a box cutter.

Rollers are consumable, and not too terrible to replace ask me how i know. :smith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh I'm there with you on that. I've had to make one functional printer out of three before.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

wasted opportunity to goatse a company for 3 mins

Hope springs eternal that I can make it to the next part, actually doing security work for a fortune 500 with other people and an actual budget instead of just being the guy that knows the most about computers would be real nice.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Defenestrategy posted:

Hope springs eternal that I can make it to the next part, actually doing security work for a fortune 500 with other people and an actual budget instead of just being the guy that knows the most about computers would be real nice.

You'll drown in procedures and processes instead! Case in point: It's been over 2 weeks and counting that I have been waiting to get a security token from an enterprise customer so I can actually do some more work for them. Getting an AD account was quick, but the arcane art of sticking hardware in an envelope is apparently highly critical and will take at least another week. Nevermind that I got their AD guy (who is of course somebody external) to add various SAML services to their AD after I basically cold-mailed him because I took over from a colleague who left. Corporate security, ahoy!

Unrelated: regarding the question about impostor syndrome, have a look at what people in academia, and especially in the humanities, write. Look for things written by PhD-students and early-career researchers, since it's rather present in discourse there.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Zebras own. These things get beat to absolute poo poo and keep on working while whatever lovely deskjet/laserjet they put out on a plant floor is dead almost instantly if it's not in a dust enclosure. That one's probably still good with a little TLC or a refurb.

I can say this because I haven't had to really fix a printer in years :smug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zebras own if you use the Bartender drivers

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We use Bartender label program and their drivers. We have a company that we pay a monthly fee ($8/mo per printer) and they are responsible for fixing and maintaining our entire line of Zebra printers. They come out once a month for PM and replacement parts are covered.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Giving somebody $8 to take on all your printer problems is almost theft

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Ok seriously are you in my office

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
2 weeks for RSA token? Hah! Try working for a fortune 50. I am projecting Q1 2019 to receive a server certificate...in our development lab.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have some good resources to read on Imposter Syndrome? I'm working with a ton of young and talented developers who are struggling a bit at realizing they're doing good work.

https://www.lollydaskal.com/leadership/5-easy-ways-to-escape-the-impostor-syndrome-trap/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Defenestrategy posted:

Just did this interview thing where, a website gives you a question prompt to look at for 20 seconds then immediately starts recording your webcam for three minutes.

I have to say that was really tough, and I hope more companies aren't gonna adopt this poo poo. Twenty seconds isn't long enough to read a prompt think of an answer and then articulate it well when you don't even have a human to play off of.

They are doing this even for quite a few jobs in retail now as well, it seems what ever company makes the software has gotten a lot of buy in. I always opted out of doing these odd interviews saying I didn't have a smartphone nor webcam.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Defenestrategy posted:

What?

There’s a question displayed on screen with text then your answer is recorded with audio and video?

I assume they feed it into some data analytics platform for “analysis” which is mostly bullshit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A) I know people are constantly asking this, but what's our Slack again?

B) There's a "test" involving development standards in dev environments and it's named after somebody but I forget what the name is. I know it's someone involved with GitHub, maybe from Fog Creek software or whatever the company's name is. I'm coming up blank with Google, can someone remind me?

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

B) There's a "test" involving development standards in dev environments and it's named after somebody but I forget what the name is. I know it's someone involved with GitHub, maybe from Fog Creek software or whatever the company's name is. I'm coming up blank with Google, can someone remind me?

The Joel Test? I’m sure I’ve seen a more recent one too https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/08/09/the-joel-test-12-steps-to-better-code/

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

What?

There’s a question displayed on screen with text then your answer is recorded with audio and video?

I assume they feed it into some data analytics platform for “analysis” which is mostly bullshit.

Yea, they give you like twenty seconds to read the question then they immediately start recording giving you five minutes to say what ever. You can take as much as you want between questions, but you cant review what your previous answer looks like or quit out in the middle.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am glad I don't have to do weird interviews like that. Pretty much every interview I ever plan to give or be a participant in will be to judge the character and personality of the applicant.

edit: probably just a little bit of testing tech knowledge, but mostly just a BS test level.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yep, that's the one. Thanks. Currently going through a stupid long apprenticeship application and that was bugging me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Stupid question: Is there an equivalent to `efibootmgr`? Post installing an OS Windows (and Ubuntu) set themselves as the first boot device. I want to set it back to be a specific NIC PXE booting first. In Ubuntu I can just use efibootmgr to set this option. This is to control what happens before the Windows bootloader is executed.

I've found various threads on the subject, none of them have any advice, and most of them misunderstand that the user wants BCDEdit or whatever it's called. Unless that can set a different device to boot before Windows Boot Manager I'm not interested.

(Hello coworkers.)

Edit: Oooooo $200 https://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 14, 2018

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel like this is probably something your server vendor can provide? Like Dell racadm

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This documentation talks about using bootcfg to edit the EFI boot order, but it is not something that I've tried myself.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I feel like this is probably something your server vendor can provide? Like Dell racadm

Fun fact! The servers support redfish but it hasn't exposed the correct variable in the schema: "UefiTargetBootSourceOverride"

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Definitely try and get something that presents a nice compatible share for the MFP and then backs it off onto good storage, because there will be a day when you fancy using some new file server features and you'll find out that your five-week old printers won't do anything newer than SMB 1.

Yeah we have patched those out of the environment finally (To my knowledge...).

I'm trying to convince the org to take this work load off of our NetApp Filers and replace it with a crappy windows file server, with a share per scanning path, so they can have some form of auditing as to how many / whos connected where without digging through NetApp's CLI to find it all.

I hate scanning.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Slack Link: https://join.slack.com/t/somethinga...ZDU5NjM2OGZhZGY

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kzersatz posted:

Yeah we have patched those out of the environment finally (To my knowledge...).

I'm trying to convince the org to take this work load off of our NetApp Filers and replace it with a crappy windows file server, with a share per scanning path, so they can have some form of auditing as to how many / whos connected where without digging through NetApp's CLI to find it all.

I hate scanning.

There's a lot better solutions out there for how many / who's then watching what is hitting a file server. You guys have enough units that you really should be using some sort of middleware.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
I completely agree on the middleware, but I don't know that our MFP guys either agree, or know whats available.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

Ok seriously are you in my office

Let's just say I spent 7 years in Automotive and it fractured what little sanity I had.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sepist posted:

2 weeks for RSA token? Hah! Try working for a fortune 50. I am projecting Q1 2019 to receive a server certificate...in our development lab.

This is how you end up with shadow IT

H110Hawk posted:

Stupid question: Is there an equivalent to `efibootmgr`? Post installing an OS Windows (and Ubuntu) set themselves as the first boot device. I want to set it back to be a specific NIC PXE booting first. In Ubuntu I can just use efibootmgr to set this option. This is to control what happens before the Windows bootloader is executed.

I've found various threads on the subject, none of them have any advice, and most of them misunderstand that the user wants BCDEdit or whatever it's called. Unless that can set a different device to boot before Windows Boot Manager I'm not interested.

(Hello coworkers.)

Edit: Oooooo $200 https://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html

If you have a dell server you can use DCCU to change many BIOS options including boot order.

I'm not sure why you would need to change the boot order to install windows though

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Our Cisco AS engineer asked me to send him 3 bullet points for his manager as to his performance this past half year. Hes honestly sucked so I didnt send him anything and deflect when he asks about it. Is that passive aggressive enough ?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

Our Cisco AS engineer asked me to send him 3 bullet points for his manager as to his performance this past half year. Hes honestly sucked so I didnt send him anything and deflect when he asks about it. Is that passive aggressive enough ?

What, he's asking for an endorsement for his performance review?

Is this a common thing now? I have never heard of it before.

E: Actually, I have now that I think about it. Peer review for performance is kind of a crap situation to put co-workers in.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I've never heard of asking one of your external accounts for a peer review. My last encounter with AS didnt have this.

The FTEs have to peer review each other in this company though. Each person has to find 6 people to give them a review.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'd be generic enough as possible. Anyone that's smart would be able to read in between the lines.

Or flat out decline but that's me and I don't even recommend my own approach.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

I've never heard of asking one of your external accounts for a peer review. My last encounter with AS didnt have this.

The FTEs have to peer review each other in this company though. Each person has to find 6 people to give them a review.

Oh wait. This is for someone actually at Cisco (who you don't work for) asking for this?

What the what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
AS is a consulting organization, so the Cisco engineer works for OP's org (through a Cisco contract) but is still managed and paid by Cisco. Typically an AS engineer's performance will be judged by their management in large part based on how well they serve the needs of the client they are working for, since if they're not doing that why would the client renew the contract?