Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
If anyone's a fan of Susan, this Eighth Doctor short trip is essential. It's a post-To the Death story and also involves the Time War.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/all-hands-on-deck-1365

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edward Mass posted:

Has there been any word about series 12? Because, uh, it took 10 months to film series 11.

Last rumor was it wasn't going to be until 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
“Kerblam!” looks very Mirrors Edge in the visual.

Also, Julie Hes. :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Edward Mass posted:

Has there been any word about series 12? Because, uh, it took 10 months to film series 11.

It's taking 2019 off, airing series 12 in 2020. This will be the new pattern going forward.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chiming in late, but god drat did I love that episode. That was really something. If there were any justice in this world, Bradley Walsh would win an Emmy for his scene where he talked about trying to be a good man. But that's not really the world we live in, so...

I also know next to nothing about the Partition, being an uneducated American, so this episode, and reading up on it after watching this, has been pretty gut wrenching. Which is exactly what this episode should do to me.

drat, this was a good episode.

So in the preview for next week, I saw Lee Mack for a moment there! Which is awesome.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How has the season been so far?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Grouchio posted:

Annoyingly exactly how you’d imagine a Chibnall season to be. Aggressively so so and middling. Jodie & co have been great, and I like the team dynamic, but the stories they’ve been in have been a real mixed bag. The ones not credited to him have been better so far.

For me personally, Jodie hasn’t made the transition to being the Doctor yet. She’s good at playing the Doctor, but I’ve not felt the ‘ah, this is the Doctor right here’ moment yet.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

The_Doctor posted:

For me personally, Jodie hasn't made the transition to being the Doctor yet. She's good at playing the Doctor, but I've not felt the 'ah, this is the Doctor right here' moment yet.

I felt exactly like that until the last episode, which cemented her as the Doctor for me. Not sure whether it's just the material she's been given up to this point or what, but it all completely clicked for me on Sunday. What a great episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Pretty good. The show's rediscovered its compassionate side and the characters are enjoyable presences who I look forward to having on screen.

I'm enjoying it far more than I ever did Moffat's seasons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sinepost posted:

I felt exactly like that until the last episode, which cemented her as the Doctor for me. Not sure whether it's just the material she's been given up to this point or what, but it all completely clicked for me on Sunday. What a great episode.

I’d definitely say the latest one has come closest. I’d love to see another story from Vinay Patel, for sure.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grouchio posted:

It’s been refreshingly...pleasant? Kinda unassuming, with no pretenses or puzzle boxes. Just some fun adventures with the Doctor and her gang. I think it’s a back-to-basics that was very much needed.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's taking 2019 off, airing series 12 in 2020. This will be the new pattern going forward.

Any more official word on this? All I can find are the October rumor articles. It'd really be terrible if it turns out this way- it'll kill any good momentum this series builds. The gap years led me to skip almost all of 12's run until the last few months just because it makes it impossible to care and follow the show. Is the BBC incapable of producing normal (british-sized) season runs every year now? Even the new production values shouldn't be so bad that it kills production so dramatically.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The_Doctor posted:

For me personally, Jodie hasn’t made the transition to being the Doctor yet. She’s good at playing the Doctor, but I’ve not felt the ‘ah, this is the Doctor right here’ moment yet.

This. Especially the 'she's good at playing the Doctor' part.

Like, I think Eccelsten nailed it right away, Tennant and Capaldi had to kind of grow into it, and Smith pretty much was the Doctor from his first scene and after Season 5 occasionally sort of lost that magic.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Finally caught up! This season's had a couple of kinda creaky episodes, and a couple pretty good ones, but Demons of the Punjab was the first legit Very Good Episode so far. I think I would have liked it that little bit more if they had just gone full-on straight historical, but at least the cenobite warthog aliens didn't really figure into the main plot itself. The whole TARDIS team is really gelling together and things are starting to click into place for me, and I'm feeling pretty confident about the second half of the season.

Also today I was supposed to find a birthday present for my sister at a local second-hand DVD shop, but instead picked up The Space Museum / The Chase box set for myself, which I'm pretty sure is the way she would have wanted it anyway

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty good. The show's rediscovered its compassionate side and the characters are enjoyable presences who I look forward to having on screen.

I'm enjoying it far more than I ever did Moffat's seasons.
Great to hear. I was withholding judgement on watching this season until I knew for a fact that with Whittaker they weren't going to go the Ghostbusters 2016 route.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Great to hear. I was withholding judgement on watching this season until I knew for a fact that with Whittaker they weren't going to go the Ghostbusters 2016 route.

Uh, and what route is that?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grouchio posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure they have gone the route of being hated by manchildren

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rap sheet.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Bad Paul Feig jokes mixed with Russell T Davies with anvilicious passive-aggressive overtones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Terrible comedy and dismissing any and all criticism with "you just hate women don't you", I guess?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The movie wasn't funny but there are plenty of internet shitters that didn't even get as far as watching it, a similar thing those same shitters are doing with regards to the new Doctor, so it's hardly a leap to assume that phrasing was that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
please god I thought the internet was done arguing about Ghostbusters

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

Don't call me the internet. As long as those lovely tropes remain in popular culture I have a right to be weary.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Have you met the internet

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Bad Paul Feig jokes mixed with Russell T Davies with anvilicious passive-aggressive overtones.

Well, I doubt Paul Feig would be involved with Doctor Who, so I don’t think you had anything to worry about there?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ghostbusters was a perfectly fine Paul Feig movie. Semi-improvised Apatow-esque stuff isn't for everyone, it's fine some people don't like it, but all the "it was aggressively unfunny and you're wrong if you think otherwise" crap that people throw out about it is garbage. It was enjoyable just to watch Kate McKinnon do her thing.

Whatever the case, there is no reason to compare the Ghostbusters reboot to a Chibnall-penned season of Doctor Who. At no point has Chibnall's writing resembled Paul Feig's, nor has the season hired any comedy writers in Feig's genre (or, indeed, any comedy writers, at all). There are no production comparisons to make between the Ghostbusters film and season 11 of Doctor Who. The only possible comparison to draw here is that both are franchises that recast with female leads. There is literally no reason to mention the Paul Feig Ghostbusters film in the context of this thread besides sexism.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

^^^^
Yeah, this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

Whatever the case, there is no reason to compare the Ghostbusters reboot to a Chibnall-penned season of Doctor Who. At no point has Chibnall's writing resembled Paul Feig's, nor has the season hired any comedy writers in Feig's genre (or, indeed, any comedy writers, at all).
Well I had no way of knowing that when the director and cast got announced. He wrote the Cyberwoman. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Well I had no way of knowing that when the director and cast got announced. He wrote the Cyberwoman. :colbert:

I didn't realise that Cyberwoman was a semi-improvised comedy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Don't call me the internet. As long as those lovely tropes remain in popular culture I have a right to be weary.

There are no tropes common to Paul Feig and Chris Chibnall; they write for completely different genres (Feig writes semi-scripted comedies and Chibnall writes drama). They work in different media (one works largely in film and the other works mostly in television). They come from different countries and have entirely different backgrounds. There is nothing in particular about the cinematographers they employ that warrants comparison. They are not the same age (Chibnall is eight years younger). There was literally no reason to mention Ghostbusters as it relates to Doctor Who besides that they both have female leads. Your post was sexist and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I didn't realise that Cyberwoman was a semi-improvised comedy.

That would explain a few things though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway, yeah, new season's good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

There are no tropes common to Paul Feig and Chris Chibnall; they write for completely different genres (Feig writes semi-scripted comedies and Chibnall writes drama). They work in different media (one works largely in film and the other works mostly in television). They come from different countries and have entirely different backgrounds. There is nothing in particular about the cinematographers they employ that warrants comparison. They are not the same age (Chibnall is eight years younger). There was literally no reason to mention Ghostbusters as it relates to Doctor Who besides that they both have female leads. Your post was sexist and you should be ashamed of yourself.
I have a hard time wrapping my head around 'Because I feared that Chibnall would be another RTD hack who would write bad scripts resembling SNL skits (in the process writing the new doctor like a cliche), I must be sexist.' :psyduck:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 14, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RTD didn't write scripts resembling SNL skits, so uh maybe examine your own reasons to be worried if you don't think "reboot with a LADY" had anything to do with it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

RTD didn't write scripts resembling SNL skits, so uh maybe examine your own reasons to be worried if you don't think "reboot with a LADY" had anything to do with it
I understand now. My paranoia about a new season's writing and thus performance were overblown and overthought then.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

David S. Pumpkins, standing in the rain: I'm the last of the Halloween mascots, Nick. Jack Skellington, the Great Pumpkin... they died, all of them. I watched them burn. Paper ghosts were torn up in front of our eyes in front of the AllHallow. They stomped jack-o-lanterns into dust in the Grinch's Fateful Hour. There were ninety-nine floors of frights, and they, all of them, were part of it. Now it's just me. No treats and all tricks. So when you create your December holiday, you remember my face. You look upon the shock of white in my hair, and you make this the foundation of your decorating: peace among men! You wreathe all twenty-four hours in cheer and goodwill, and you be merry gentlemen! Peace among men, or so help me, I'll be back to scare the hell out of all of you!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

.......any questions?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Confirmed in Doctor Who magazine that theres no Christmas special in Whoville.

Just the new years day special instead!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I prefer that, there's a lot less chance of getting lost in the holiday and being schmaltzy crap with a new years special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I might actually be able to watch a special on New Year's Day and I never can on Christmas.