Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Kevin McCarthy is now the House minority leader.

He's notable for being possibly the dumbest man in DC.

He's the last of this trio

I was going to say, isn't he on record as like one of the most stupid men in Congress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1062781457758871554

One of the few remaining California Republicans will be in charge of herding Republicans for the next few years

Gerrymander CA-23 into a 52 D / 48R, slight uphill battle for him. If he panders to his base by rallying house republicans too hard and getting in the news, he shoots himself in the foot.

Honestly, Ca probably needs a little redistricting. Republicans won maybe 20% of the house seats but got 35% of the popular house vote. They should realistically get a few more house members.

not joseph stalin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 14, 2018

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

:matters: except the political television personality I hate most not being selected as the person who schedules votes for the things Mitchell Turtlecloak will not schedule votes for.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

not joseph stalin posted:

Gerrymander CA-23 into a 52 D / 48R, slight uphill battle for him. If he panders to his base by rallying house republicans too hard and getting in the news, he shoots himself in the foot. Cripple their ability to resist.

CA has a non-nonpartisan districting commission

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I honestly think they're just lazy as gently caress. Remember the donors had to crack the whip hard to get them off their rear end to actually write the bills required to do poo poo like repeal the ACA and cut taxes. Then because they rushed it they had to go back because they're so loving stupid they actually raised taxes on some businesses by accident.

I gotta hand it to em, that's actually pretty clever compared to "fake news"

there's a timeline where Donnie bashes a Ms. Lydia

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gerrymander CA-23 into a 52 D / 48R, slight uphill battle for him. If he panders to his base by rallying house republicans too hard and getting in the news, he shoots himself in the foot. Cripple their ability to resist.

We destroyed gerrymandering here (mostly) and that is good

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Maxine Waters for speaker.

Comedy Option AOC.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1062700821966712837

https://mobile.twitter.com/NRO/status/1062754567044194304

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Rigel posted:

She wouldn't be against Pelosi in this hypothetical. I don't think the "not Pelosi" crowd is trying to get someone else to beat her on the floor. They are probably wanting to prove she can't win with a few failed floor votes, then when Pelosi steps aside, its a free for all as every ambitious Dem leader starts talking to everyone else and locking in commitments.

Thats probably happening now. "Look, you and I both support Pelosi, but if she steps aside for any reason, I hope I can count on your vote."

That's the problem I have with all the supposed "leftists" supporting the idea of replacing Pelosi, they seem to be operating under the delusion that doing so would result in some super progressive taking her place, which is dumb because most of the calls to replace her are coming from her right which means that by supporting those calls they are in fact advocating for the exact opposite result than they claim to be.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

I think given the profound anti-incumbency mood of the nation, having a changing of the guard and some fresh leadership is good for the party in general. Of course they'll find a way to demonize someone new, but that still takes time to get running, and I think the party needs new faces in the spotlight.

I'll accept all these points as a good reason to move on from Pelosi, but can we at least keep her in some position where she keeps people in line behind the scenes? If the party drops her for someone else for the sake of publicity and then accomplishes nothing in 2 years what's the drat point.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Jaxyon posted:

Maxine Waters for speaker.

Comedy Option AOC.

Anyone who unironically thinks that a freshman representative should be Speaker of the House and 3rd in line for the Presidency is a massive idiot.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 14, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone who unironically thinks that a freshman representative should be Speaker of the House and 3rd in line for the Presidency is a massive idiot.

also we should probably make sure the Speaker is constitutionally eligible to serve as President you know, just in case

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Edmund Lava posted:

God bless this hell world where I forgot this guy claimed you needed to show ID to buy cereal.

Is that what he is implying? I assumed he was saying you could use a cereal box as an ID. Like you go up to vote, hand the poll worker a cutout from the box, and the poll worker responds "here's your ballot Mr. Charms."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Womp womp

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The race was already assumed but now it's official:
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1062793756313837575

He defeated Tom MacArthur.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"A good caning" :laffo:

Remember, the Southern Strategy didn't happen.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Oh, spez means edit. And here I thought SA was insular and weird. Two years and they have this whole language unique to their broken brains.

Spez is one of the admins of Reddit and protects the_donald from consequences even though they break the rules all the time. For some reason they started attacking him personally so he edited one user's comment, and it pissed them off.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 14, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The fact that they're struggling to get 13 names to commit to signing a letter saying they'll vote no on the floor isn't great. And I feel like a lot of representatives like Lamb would love to vote against Pelosi, but would hate to actually replace her. I mean, reading the room here locally (i'm in Lambs district) I'm pretty sure people would be upset if a Republican ended up as speaker.

Edit: also I feel like this conversation happens every two years. It's not really Christmas season until someone mentions that the Speaker doesn't have to be an elected official.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 14, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The New Dems are the ruling coalition of this Congress and they are going to pick Pelosi again or some other awful neolib, unfortunately.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Retro42 posted:

I'll accept all these points as a good reason to move on from Pelosi, but can we at least keep her in some position where she keeps people in line behind the scenes? If the party drops her for someone else for the sake of publicity and then accomplishes nothing in 2 years what's the drat point.

That's what I'm thinking. Anyway, the 2020 presidential candidate will be the public face of the party, not Pelosi or her hypothetical replacement. I'd much rather have a vote-whipping badass in that position than someone I agreed with more politically but didn't have the connections or stones to stop blue dog dems from defecting on key votes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

eke out posted:

also we should probably make sure the Speaker is constitutionally eligible to serve as President you know, just in case

Is that actually how it works? If someone in the line of succession is too young to run they just get passed over even if the people above them get nuked? Seems counterproductive tbh.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Retro42 posted:

Every speaker I'm aware of who fails a floor vote has taken their ball and angrily gone home. (By resigning and becoming a political pundit)

If Pelosi wants to stay in the house, then sure, she can be the majority whip. What you are describing is the whip's job, more or less.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Oh, spez means edit. And here I thought SA was insular and weird. Two years and they have this whole language unique to their broken brains.

If you're wondering, spez is the name of the reddit admin who got caught loving with T_D members by editing their posts

e:f,b

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She wouldn't be 3rd in line for the Presidency because ineligible officers are skipped in the line of succession

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If people are seriously against Pelosi because they’re worried that she’s easy red meat for the Republicans to constantly complain about and get their base reved up then what the gently caress do you think is happening with Cortez because the entire right-wing media is flipping the gently caress out and setting the groundwork to do that with her. They will do that to literally every single high profile Dem, especially if they’re a woman.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is that actually how it works? If someone in the line of succession is too young to run they just get passed over even if the people above them get nuked? Seems counterproductive tbh.

Yep, this is part of the law governing the line of succession. If you couldn't have become president via the normal means, too bad, move on to the next person.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. You see this occasionally with cabinet secretaries that are naturalized citizens, like Madeline Albright. If they're constitutionally ineligible, they're skipped over for the next person on the list.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Being at least 35 isn't a requirement to run, it's a requirement to hold the office, full stop. AOC could not be named as VP, and if she were Speaker she would not be in the line of succession until she turned 35.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yep. So, anyone who is not old enough to be president should not be considered at all.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

By definition anyone who beat Pelosi and whipped up the votes to become speaker is qualified to be the Speaker, so I wouldn't worry about a dullard getting the job.

An rear end in a top hat regressive, on the other hand...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes, although the more usual situation is someone in the line of succession isn't a natural born citizen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tibalt posted:

By definition anyone who beat Pelosi and whipped up the votes to become speaker is qualified to be the Speaker, so I wouldn't worry about a dullard getting the job.

Literally the only other person who has thrown their name into the ring for the job is far to the right of Pelosi and laments how the Democratic Party has focused too much on social progressivism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

Yep. So, anyone who is not old enough to be president should not be considered at all.

Eh the House can replace the Speaker at any time if it comes up, also it has never come up.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Honestly, Ca probably needs a little redistricting. Republicans won maybe 20% of the house seats but got 35% of the popular house vote. They should realistically get a few more house members.

I am continually amazed that this hybrid thread somehow manages to incorporate “Dems bad” with “Maybe Republicans need a break” chat.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tibalt posted:

I'm pretty sure people would be upset if a Republican ended up as speaker.

We don't have to worry about that. A plurality is not good enough, you must have a majority to become speaker. If no one gets a majority, the house votes again. And again. And again, forever, until someone gets a majority.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Tibalt posted:

I think the problem is that-- since Speaker is elected by the whole house, including republicans-- there might be just enough rebels to vote for somebody else where Pelosi wouldn't get the 218 votes she needs, but nowhere near enough for whoever the rebels pick to get there.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Eh the House can replace the Speaker at any time if it comes up, also it has never come up.

If the President and VP both dropped dead, then Orrin Hatch will race to Justice Roberts house, drag him out of bed, and get sworn in before the bodies are cold.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Obama for Speaker

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
LOL

https://twitter.com/aaronwiener/status/1062773541043605505

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

So is this the Republican checkmate strategy, wherein the Dems never get a speaker because nobody can get enough votes?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Rigel posted:

If the President and VP both dropped dead, then Orrin Hatch will race to Justice Roberts house, drag him out of bed, and get sworn in before the bodies are cold.

It won't be Orrin Hatch, it'll be Chuck Fuckin' Grassley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Just lol forever if a loving Blue Dog ends up as speaker because the leftist wing of the Dem caucus cant figure out a candidate who would be better than Pelosi and Republicans decide to vote for him in a bit of realpolitik.