Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

In blaster master for the NES grenades continued to deal damage while the game was paused letting you skip some of the boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

Tearaway on the PS Vita is the first of those games and is very clever. It uses a lot of the features of the console to enhance the gameplay and definitely has a charming personality.
Trouble is no-one's got a Vita..

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I really can't believe how little love RDR2 is getting in this thread. I've played for about 15 hours now and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the mechanics. The way the various systems within the game interact seamlessly with one another is incredible.

That said, my favorite little interaction happened when I visited the first open town, Valentine. It was late at night and I started running through town like a madman. The first few hours of the game they keep you locked in slow paced environments where they restrict your movement speed, so Valentine is the first major area you can fully cut-loose as Arthur. As I'm running through the town yelling greetings at people, my rambunctiousness causes one of the local bluetick coonhound dogs to get excited and start running alongside me, tail a-wagging. It just felt so real how easily you can hype a dog up if you start acting wild near it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXYtgUpWQaM

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I made a big fuss of that dog the first time I went to Valentine and now every time I go back it gets really excited. Which probably means it has better memory than most people in town who don't seem to care the guy who shot up the town is back.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Kind of an odd post for this thread, but I'd like to solicit peoples' favorite game glitches or level design oversights, especially helpful ones.

In Metroid Prime, scanning something, then side strafing as you stop scanning causes you to jump much farther than usual. It's essentially a long jump from Mario, button inputs included. It lets you sequence break the game in unintended but fairly natural feeling ways, especially since you can use it in the very first room of the game to get the double jump early.

Also in Metroid Prime, when in a morphball you can set bombs to launch yourself up. You have a limit of three bombs, so you're only supposed to be able to do a double bomb jump, but if you set things up right you can recover your ammo fast enough to pull off a triple bomb jump instead. Again, it's unintentional but feels like a natural game mechanic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Didn't they patch one of the jumping related breaks out for the Wii port?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think even later printings of the gamecube one tried to patch some of that stuff out, sadly.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I made a big fuss of that dog the first time I went to Valentine and now every time I go back it gets really excited. Which probably means it has better memory than most people in town who don't seem to care the guy who shot up the town is back.

I haven’t been back to Valentine since I unlocked St Denis but last time I was there I was constantly accosted by citizens who screamed at me about how they’re keeping an eye on me, told me that they can’t believe I have the guts to come back, and asked if I haven’t caused them enough trouble, ever since my robbery of the doctor’s shady side business spilled out into the streets and I had to mow down their entire sheriff’s office and a few armed civilians that decided to join the fray. So the people definitely remember too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

I think even later printings of the gamecube one tried to patch some of that stuff out, sadly.

Yeah, Retro's approach to sequence breaks is really disappointing IMO. I can get patching out things that might interfere with someone's first playthrough of a game, especially if they lead to permastuck or softlock situations, but all of the sequence breaks I know about in the Prime series require not just strong awareness of the game mechanics but also a really detailed analysis of the map. I very much doubt that any players ever did Early Space Jump on their first playthrough unless they'd read about it online before getting the game. It's not a difficult sequence break, but it's not trivial and it's also not remotely obvious that it's possible.

Setting up a triple bomb jump is really clever though. You get all your bombs back a set amount of time after you lay your first bomb, so you can waste one, then start the bomb jump at the right time to get replenished in the middle of it.

That reminds me of another Metroid Prime trick: missile swapping. There's a cooldown after you fire each missile before you can fire again. That cooldown is longer than the amount of time it takes to swap your active gun. So missile -> swap -> missile -> swap is something like twice the DPS of missile -> missile -> missile once you get the timing down.

And for some reason, that reminded me of a completely unrelated trick in Devil May Cry 1. In that game, you can jump off of enemies, which is a pretty niche ability that's mostly just used in an optional challenge area. You also have a shotgun, which for some reason always propels enemies upwards...so you can jump off of an enemy, shotgun them, jump off them, shotgun them, etc. until you've flown a hundred feet into the air and the camera can no longer track you. It's (so far as I know) completely useless progression-wise, but is a stupidly fun little offshoot of DMC's style-centric combat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Got anything like that?

In Halo 2, one of the sword's attacks causes you to physically lunge at your target. The maximum range for this was supposed to only be a few feet, but someone discovered that if you lock onto at a distant target with the rocket launcher and then very quickly switch to the sword and do the lunge attack, it'll use the rocket launcher's effective range. This makes you go flying all the way across the map to stab the guy and led to much hilarity in PVP.

Also in Duke Nukem 3D you can equip the Mighty Boot as your current weapon but also use the quick kick shortcut key at the same time, letting you run around the map while also kicking with both feet.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
In RDR2 I killed a pig and the other pigs started eating him. Then I killed a rancher and threw him in the pen and they ate him too :stare:

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

haveblue posted:

In Halo 2, one of the sword's attacks causes you to physically lunge at your target. The maximum range for this was supposed to only be a few feet, but someone discovered that if you lock onto at a distant target with the rocket launcher and then very quickly switch to the sword and do the lunge attack, it'll use the rocket launcher's effective range. This makes you go flying all the way across the map to stab the guy and led to much hilarity in PVP.
It also made the lunging player's movement really easy to predict and it was pretty funny to headshot them and watch their ragdolling bodies and weapons zoom past.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

In RDR2 I killed a pig and the other pigs started eating him. Then I killed a rancher and threw him in the pen and they ate him too :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUynRdzzsM

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Easy there, Mason Verger.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

There's a side quest/stranger encounter having to do w/ this as well...

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Thought of another glitch in Goldeneye that was pretty hilarious. There were only a few weapons you could dual-wield but there was a way to dual-wield any weapon... with a different weapon. I think what you had to do was cycle back and forth between the weapons and maybe pause it at one point? But the game will eventually glitch and you could be dual wielding anything from a PP7 and a klobb to... a rocket launcher and golden gun.

I pulled it off once when I was young but I recall it being pretty difficult to make happen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not a weird glitch thing but the scarab gun in Halo 2. It was this insane process to get the thing and you only got it for ten or so minutes before the level ended

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

haveblue posted:

This reminds me of an old trick in Worms. You select the uzi or minigun and then just as you fire you press F1 to select the bazooka. This resulted in your gun firing full power bazooka shells instead of tiny bullets, and the effect was devastating.

Edit: found a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFzP6KQg2aA&t=317s

ubachung has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Nov 14, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In RDR2 I was going through some drawers in a hotel room and after searching decided to close them back up. When he got to the bottom drawer Arthur just closed it with his foot instead of bending over.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In Hitman 2, which spruces up the levels from Hitman 2016, they made a crucial change to one guy's model: he's the dude in the kitchen who is used for the "silently KO this dude and steal his uniform" tutorial.

... He now has a giant bandage on his head. Mostly padded in the area where 47 whacks him in the head with the wrench that's lying conveniently nearby.

...... I noticed this because I was doing an escalation and kept KOing him for his uniform and the free wrench and knife...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

the very first room of the game
You forgot the Frigate

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Der-Wreck posted:

Thought of another glitch in Goldeneye that was pretty hilarious. There were only a few weapons you could dual-wield but there was a way to dual-wield any weapon... with a different weapon. I think what you had to do was cycle back and forth between the weapons and maybe pause it at one point? But the game will eventually glitch and you could be dual wielding anything from a PP7 and a klobb to... a rocket launcher and golden gun.

I pulled it off once when I was young but I recall it being pretty difficult to make happen.

I managed to do this once with a cougar magnum and a golden gun, but I was by myself so my friends never believed me. Years later I found a video of it and minds were blown.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
In ready 2 rumble boxing 2 for the N64, you could choose from a list of stat-boosting items to buy to make your fighter stronger. If you went to the cheapest item and hit scroll left and then buy very quickly, you would scroll to the bottom of the list and buy the strongest, most expensive item for the cheapest items price. You could do this a couple times, make an ungodly powerful boxer and mow through the whole campaign in about 20 minutes.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

In Link's Awakening, if you save and quit immediately after buying something, you only lose the amount that your rupee counter ticked down to before you paused. You can get the 900+ rupee bow for like 100 if you're fast enough

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If we're still listing our favorite game oversights, I'd say the one from Street Fighter 2 that let you chain hits together.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

In Hitman 2, which spruces up the levels from Hitman 2016, they made a crucial change to one guy's model: he's the dude in the kitchen who is used for the "silently KO this dude and steal his uniform" tutorial.

... He now has a giant bandage on his head. Mostly padded in the area where 47 whacks him in the head with the wrench that's lying conveniently nearby.

...... I noticed this because I was doing an escalation and kept KOing him for his uniform and the free wrench and knife...

I watched a stream of it where the streamer knocked a chef out by throwing a fish at his head and five minutes later I was ordering a copy

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've been playing Yakuza Kiwami because it was free on PS Plus this month and I gotta say, I expected "quirky Japanese Grand Theft Auto." Instead I got hilarious, overblown melodrama mixed with insanity. Last night I spent an hour and a half racing small electric cars with children. And then I went to the karaoke bar, but stopped to turn some guys harassing a woman into paste.

:allears: Kiryu Kiwami is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

I want to get one of these newfangled consoles to play, specifically the PS4 because Horizon Zero Dawn is a game that I must own (even if it's not that great, see ME3). What order do the Yakuza games go in? I'm so damned confused with the numbering and release dates.

PYF games, just everything about the skinner box that is Slime Rancher for the first ten hours. Haven't felt that mesmerized by complete by-the-numbers garbage since 2009 and Minecraft. I'm done with Slime Rancher now, but man the $3 for it from SAMart was a great buy for a couple days' of podcast-listening mindless entertainment.

Yakuza 0, Kakuza Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 are all PS4. I've heard they are gonna redo the other ones as well. Bonus: Fist of the North Star.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

RoboRodent posted:

I've been playing Yakuza Kiwami because it was free on PS Plus this month and I gotta say, I expected "quirky Japanese Grand Theft Auto." Instead I got hilarious, overblown melodrama mixed with insanity. Last night I spent an hour and a half racing small electric cars with children. And then I went to the karaoke bar, but stopped to turn some guys harassing a woman into paste.

:allears: Kiryu Kiwami is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.

I started playing Yakuza 0 the other night, and yeah, agreed completely. Kiryu is so goddamn serious in everything he does, even when he's having an absolute blast, that it's hilarious.

It's deadpan, surreal sense of humor reminds me of Way of the Samurai in a wonderful way. The only thing it's missing is the ability to dress up Kiryu in all sorts of stupid costumes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

OutOfPrint posted:

I started playing Yakuza 0 the other night, and yeah, agreed completely. Kiryu is so goddamn serious in everything he does, even when he's having an absolute blast, that it's hilarious.

It's deadpan, surreal sense of humor reminds me of Way of the Samurai in a wonderful way. The only thing it's missing is the ability to dress up Kiryu in all sorts of stupid costumes.

You can only change clothes in post-game :eng99:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Samuringa posted:

You can only change clothes in post-game :eng99:

This is the greatest tragedy of gaming.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RoboRodent posted:

This is the greatest tragedy of gaming.

I’d feel worse about it if the gold suit from Kiwami 2 wasn’t the most glorious thing ever. Like, god drat.

Re: Glitches, does the jump/attack/land/attack thing from Symphony of the Night count? I never knew if it was intentional or not, but landing from a jump resets your attack cooldown so you can immediately take another swing. For some of the heavier hitting weapons it’s a huge damage boost.

I actually liked that so much that I did it intentionally when I was experimenting with platformer controls in GameMaker. :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Animation cancelling is a thing in a lot of games, but it's sometimes hard to tell when it's intentional vs. when it isn't. Like, it's very clearly intentional in the Devil May Cry series, where the Royal Guard combat style is just as much about being able to cancel slow animations into a (fast, short-duration) block as it is actually making use of that block. Attack-block-attack-block-attack can be a lot faster than just attack-attack-attack, depending on what weapon you're using.

Lots of games let you cancel anything, or almost anything, into a dodge roll as well, and sometimes that lets you attack faster than you're "supposed" to be able to. I remember in the XBox Ninja Gaiden, the fastest way to move was to roll, jump out of the roll, then roll again when you land, leading to Ryu basically doing a gymnastics floor routine across the landscape.

I would guess it wasn't exactly intentional in SotN, but it's honestly kind of hard to tell. SotN is the game where the fastest movement option available is to backdash, then raise your shield to cancel the dash, then backdash again.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The Spyro remaster released yesterday and I spent a solid five hours tearing through the first game of the Trilogy. As a massive Spyro fan I can’t say enough good things about the game, but there are a few that really stick out to me.

- You can toggle the music between the remastered and original score. As someone who has been listening to the Spyro soundtrack for over ten years this was huge to me.

- The devs really went above and beyond in regards to making the world feel more alive and lived in. Rooms that were featureless in the PS1 version now contain really nice visual upgrades such as books or other items.

- The colors are all turned up to 11 which makes the game just look gorgeous. Levels that I despised as a child due to their haunting and dreary nature (I’m looking at you the entirety of Beast Makers) are now some of my favorite because they just look so good now.

- Each of the dragons you can rescue now have their own unique designs and each looks at home in their respective worlds.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Animation cancelling is a thing in a lot of games, but it's sometimes hard to tell when it's intentional vs. when it isn't. Like, it's very clearly intentional in the Devil May Cry series, where the Royal Guard combat style is just as much about being able to cancel slow animations into a (fast, short-duration) block as it is actually making use of that block. Attack-block-attack-block-attack can be a lot faster than just attack-attack-attack, depending on what weapon you're using.

Lots of games let you cancel anything, or almost anything, into a dodge roll as well, and sometimes that lets you attack faster than you're "supposed" to be able to. I remember in the XBox Ninja Gaiden, the fastest way to move was to roll, jump out of the roll, then roll again when you land, leading to Ryu basically doing a gymnastics floor routine across the landscape.

Reminds me of another MM glitch, in X5 Zero has his basic sword combo, which only triggers a boss' invincibility period on the last hit. So by repeatedly resetting the combo with a tiny dash or something he can kill many bosses much quicker than intended, which I hear is really nice in the refights where the bosses have waaaaay too much health.

Also in X6 Zero could deal a lot of damage quickly to bosses using some weird glitch with one of the boss weapons? The reflect shield thing.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

"RoboRodent" posted:

Kiryu Kiwami

Shameful

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Animation cancelling is required for the newer versions of Earth Defense Force if you want to play the Fencer (a walking artillery unit with massive melee weapons).

Their role is to pepper the battlefield with missiles well before the other soldiers get into engagement range. They then slam bugs with hammers the size of cars for the few that make it past.

It's all very fun BUUUUUT you have to run around the battlefield to pick up armor and weapons boxes that land where the enemies die. So you're the slowest unit with the longest range and no reasonable way to get around. You can't even ride in vehicles.

So you have to equip a certain class of shield with a dash function and cancel the last part of the animation to chain dashes... that cost ammo. Ammo in infinite, just based on a reloading timer, BUT STILL.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another spyro thing is ther is a trophy/achievement for every level and so far nothing is particularly hard but the majority are just doing one relativey neat thing the original set up but had no way to reward you for other than the one off fun of it.

Honestly so far the biggest issue is you cant change the inversion in flight/swimming controls and underwaters new shade makes the bottles and gems pop less than the old games

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm sticking with Red Dead Redemption 2 despite its many flaws and there are so many neat little touches that make it feel so alive.

I was riding about on my horse to no particular destination when I saw lights glowing in the woods some distance away from me. When I got closer it became clearer that there were lots of people all holding torches. I got off my horse near the edge of the woods and walked towards the group, and realised it was a Klan meeting. One of them turned to me and whispered "the ceremony's about to start. You can watch if you like but please keep quiet". There were 10 of them in total.

I went back to my horse, got my pump-action shotgun and casually sauntered back into the woods. None of them escaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm sticking with Red Dead Redemption 2 despite its many flaws and there are so many neat little touches that make it feel so alive.

I was riding about on my horse to no particular destination when I saw lights glowing in the woods some distance away from me. When I got closer it became clearer that there were lots of people all holding torches. I got off my horse near the edge of the woods and walked towards the group, and realised it was a Klan meeting. One of them turned to me and whispered "the ceremony's about to start. You can watch if you like but please keep quiet". There were 10 of them in total.

I went back to my horse, got my pump-action shotgun and casually sauntered back into the woods. None of them escaped.

You really, really should have waited.

You'll eventually come up to three of them trying to raise a giant cross. Wait then too.

e: Spoiler for what happens

Group with the torches one of them eventually fucks up and they all get caught on fire and burn to death, except for the grand master or whatever he is. Him you can shoot in the face

Group with the giant cross If you wait long enough they gently caress up and drop the cross, crushing two of them to death. The grand master says "why does this keep happening" so maybe same guy from earlier? shoot him in the face

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Nov 15, 2018