Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Atomizer posted:

I didn't take the Red Robin reference as intentional product placement, I thought it was pretty clear they needed to use it to set up the Red [Robin] Wedding subplot. What other restaurant name could they have used instead?

That's not the only time they used Red Robin. Prior to that, when they did the 1% episode, they not only used Red Robin, but even had someone saying, "I like their bottomless fries" in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

They also did a lot of product placement for Chipotle.

http://www.southparkstudios.co.uk/clips/251865/billy-mays-here

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or the episode where Cartman implores Congress to legalize stem cell research by singing “heat of the moment” just so he can use it to clone his OWN Shakey’s Pizza franchise.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
No new episode tonight?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

according to both schedule sites for south park and comedy central: nope

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

according to both schedule sites for south park and comedy central: nope

https://mobile.twitter.com/SouthPark/status/1062850163222503424?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

:confused:

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Flatscan posted:

They also did a lot of product placement for Chipotle.

http://www.southparkstudios.co.uk/clips/251865/billy-mays-here

That's.. not really the same. The whole thing about Chipolte in that episode was that it makes people (most at least) poo poo blood.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

In the off-chance I find myself in the US, I for one am keen to find out how good Chipotle can be that making GBS threads blood is a fair deal.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

In the off-chance I find myself in the US, I for one am keen to find out how good Chipotle can be that making GBS threads blood is a fair deal.

It's not good at all. It's the Burger King of fast food burritos.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It looks like Satan is here. Should I start to worry?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Manbearbig vs Satan is the kaiju battle I never knew I needed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, yay, they're continuing the Red Dead Redemption jokes in the 2nd part.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I assume all the food-related cameos in the episodes aren't intentional product placement, they're just places they like to eat at (or in the case of Chipotle, are notorious.) I've never been to a Red Robin, Shakey's, Shoney's, etc., because they're not in my area (last time I checked) but it wouldn't surprise me if they're found out West where Trey & Matt grew up (the Shoney's is a Rick & Morty reference though.)

Chipotle is such trash compared to actual Mexican food, it's not even funny. You could get, you know, actual tacos, with fresh tortillas, homemade salsa, cilantro & cebolla, and say lengua de res, or you could just go to Chipotle and overpay for whatever the gently caress a "burrito bowl" is supposed to be.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Knee posted:

That's.. not really the same. The whole thing about Chipolte in that episode was that it makes people (most at least) poo poo blood.

Really? You don't say? Wow.

You know, if I'd have noticed that it could almost be as if I interrupted boring product-placement chat with a joke.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
you know i never understood the poo poo blood thing. Is it because im texan?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
oh wow what a payoff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Atomizer posted:

I assume all the food-related cameos in the episodes aren't intentional product placement, they're just places they like to eat at (or in the case of Chipotle, are notorious.) I've never been to a Red Robin, Shakey's, Shoney's, etc., because they're not in my area (last time I checked) but it wouldn't surprise me if they're found out West where Trey & Matt grew up (the Shoney's is a Rick & Morty reference though.)

Chipotle is such trash compared to actual Mexican food, it's not even funny. You could get, you know, actual tacos, with fresh tortillas, homemade salsa, cilantro & cebolla, and say lengua de res, or you could just go to Chipotle and overpay for whatever the gently caress a "burrito bowl" is supposed to be.

The whole joke is that Cartman has a terrible and childish palate and is constantly gorging himself on lovely fast food. Hell, they had a whole episode about him being a KFC addict. Also one joke where he gets incredibly pissed at someone (probably Kyle, maybe Stan) because he's actually not making GBS threads diarrhoea for once.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That was a pretty good episode but I'll admit the Red Dead Redemption gag was played out and should've stayed in the first episode. It also felt slightly more like product placement in this episode due to showing actual footage of the game. But overall it was one of the better two-parter conclusions they've done.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was cool with the RDR2 continuation because it let to the punchline at the end. The 'should I start to worry' gag was pretty good too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All things considered that wasn't the most subtle pivot.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
whee trey and matt self-insert ep ahoy

but hey they killed off satan whom promptly ascended to heaven as an angel (which was pretty funny)
the soy sauce thing was a :thunk: tho

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Not a bad episode but you know what I don't want more of on this show? A sideplot about the marital problems of Harrison Yates.

I thought the Al Gore Ghost had made a movie of himself, though, which would've been hilarious and I was slightly disappointed to see it was an actual movie. Still, "...credits?" made me laugh.

I laughed at Kenny's muffled "No..." after ManBearPig "annihilated him like a bitch" (itself a great line). They also missed out on a chance to have Satan see the Mormons in Heaven again.

Qdoba is infinitely better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Getting kinda annoyed with them getting rid of all the old characters. The show is struggling enough already; dropping a bunch of characters for no real reason seems unwise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chipotle is more or less literally overpriced Taco Bell. I mean maybe the guacamole at Chipotle is better but probably not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Satan ascending to Heaven, there's some real meta there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Waltzing Along posted:

Getting kinda annoyed with them getting rid of all the old characters. The show is struggling enough already; dropping a bunch of characters for no real reason seems unwise.

Yup. Just feels like another step towards "we're tired of this show, but we're not going to call it quits because gently caress hopping off the gravy train". It's a shame because the pot episode and scooter were both pretty solid late season fare.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kinda weird to see a South Park 2-parter about how capitalism is bad. I did like Grandpa out in the hall going "everyone is greedy" and getting told to shut up immediately.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So, what was the old folks and manbearpigs deal over?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

punk rebel ecks posted:

So, what was the old folks and manbearpigs deal over?

Cars and ice-cream.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We didn't see Ned die, they've left their options open. Also side characters in South Park have died repeatedly and been brought back without incident.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Flatscan posted:

Cars and ice-cream.

Boutique ice cream.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

precision posted:

Chipotle is more or less literally overpriced Taco Bell. I mean maybe the guacamole at Chipotle is better but probably not.

Taco Bell is superior to Chipotle.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We didn't see Ned die, they've left their options open. Also side characters in South Park have died repeatedly and been brought back without incident.

Ned is a super-soldier, after all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Flatscan posted:

Cars and ice-cream.

So the old folks met with Manbearpig and asked of they could have cars and ice cream and he said "Sure, as long as I get to kill everyone in fifty years" and they agreed?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just plain rice?!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

punk rebel ecks posted:

So the old folks met with Manbearpig and asked of they could have cars and ice cream and he said "Sure, as long as I get to kill everyone in fifty years" and they agreed?

No. They made a deal to stave off manbearpig for X number of years because they didn't want to give up their cars and ice cream. Just as manbearpig wanted them to give up RDR2 and soy sauce in the present.

To really spell it out, people have to give things up in order to stem the tide of global climate change. Scientists have been talking about it for around 50 years now. Cars were viewed as a major cause and ice cream is a joke. But in the land of the free people can't give up their cars and ride trains with the riff raff. And anyway, it wasn't effecting them. It's the future generations that will suffer.

So yeah, you can't do much. But one thing you can do is stop eating beef. The cattle industry is the #1 thing that is pushing climate change. Can you give up your precious steaks and burgers? Even if your neighbor won't?

This is why the planet is hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0uZ9mfOUI

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 16, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole joke is that Cartman has a terrible and childish palate and is constantly gorging himself on lovely fast food. Hell, they had a whole episode about him being a KFC addict. Also one joke where he gets incredibly pissed at someone (probably Kyle, maybe Stan) because he's actually not making GBS threads diarrhoea for once.

Eh, I don't think all the food references are related to Cartman being a fatass. The "only eats the chicken skins" part was great though.

Sir Lemming posted:

That was a pretty good episode but I'll admit the Red Dead Redemption gag was played out and should've stayed in the first episode. It also felt slightly more like product placement in this episode due to showing actual footage of the game. But overall it was one of the better two-parter conclusions they've done.

Yeah by the end it definitely felt like intentional product placement. I haven't played the game but they were really obviously pushing features and plot points on the audience (even if it was really just a long gag.)

SHVPS4DETH posted:

whee trey and matt self-insert ep ahoy

but hey they killed off satan whom promptly ascended to heaven as an angel (which was pretty funny)
the soy sauce thing was a :thunk: tho

The soy sauce was the random counterpart to the ice cream from the original "deal."

Waltzing Along posted:

That's going to be their excuse to "Cancel South Park," because all their characters are dead! :haw:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

They didn't get rid of satan though. He's gonna go to heaven, then get sent back to hell because he's not a Mormon just like everyone did in the movie and the 2 episode sequel to the movie.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Waltzing Along posted:

So yeah, you can't do much. But one thing you can do is stop eating beef. The cattle industry is the #1 thing that is pushing climate change. Can you give up your precious steaks and burgers? Even if your neighbor won't?

My plan was to start eating MORE beef while I can because it's gonna cost like $25 for a hamburger in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

No. They made a deal to stave off manbearpig for X number of years because they didn't want to give up their cars and ice cream. Just as manbearpig wanted them to give up RDR2 and soy sauce in the present.

To really spell it out, people have to give things up in order to stem the tide of global climate change. Scientists have been talking about it for around 50 years now. Cars were viewed as a major cause and ice cream is a joke. But in the land of the free people can't give up their cars and ride trains with the riff raff. And anyway, it wasn't effecting them. It's the future generations that will suffer.

It's not just cars. It's endless consumption in general, hence the ice cream.

I imagine Trey and Matt read the same synopses of that IPCC report that everyone else did, and one of the findings of it was "we need massive social upheaval to even have a chance." Basically, capitalism can't fix this problem, but we're all too mollified by the spoils of capitalism (RDR2 for example) to actually make these changes.

The deal Stan signs isn't for X years. It's FIVE, and he's coming back 1,000-fold after five. We are going to ignore this problem until it kills us -- soon.