Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Your Taint posted:

Nothing Trump does is good, even accidentally, so please tell me why this criminal justice reform bill is bad.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1062825530091823105

legit the first time I see Trump surrounded by POC is when he's talking about this :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

suing to halt the vote count...when you're behind

interesting tactic, let's see how it'll work out for her

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

he wasn't involved with it at all, it's a bipartisan bill they've been trying to get him to approve once they agreed on it. kushner has wanted it for a while because he has empathy for people cruelly imprisoned for minor crimes.

like the main criticism i see from the left is that though it reduces a lot of sentences, it only makes some of those reductions (namely: the crack/cocaine disparity) retroactive, not all of them

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

I think she's mad at people that are celebrating her father's death OP

thank god that we have people willing to stand up for decorum, on behalf of the guy who brought you the modern-day How To Run For President On Race War To Own The Libs playbook

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

there's been a single successful discharge petition in my lifetime (mccain-feingold bill), they're never successful. tweaking the nonsense around them is a free gift to some idiots who want a talking point, because it doesn't do anything (the reason that discharge petitions never work is because they're considered basically treason to your caucus)

And the very, very rare times when a discharge petition looks like it might succeed, the speaker usually goes "ok fine you idiots, I'll put a watered-down amendment that sort of addresses your issue on the schedule". (which no one likes and will lose) And some nervous lawmakers, already scared about opposing their own speaker quickly acquiesce and go "ok, thank you, I'll take my name off the petition!"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1062827488248844289

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

suing to halt the vote count...when you're behind

interesting tactic, let's see how it'll work out for her

It'll get thrown out, I cannot imagine any judge, conservative or liberal, penning the opinion that all votes cast should not be counted.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1062829007635468293

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

It'll get thrown out, I cannot imagine any judge, conservative or liberal, penning the opinion that all votes cast should not be counted.

i have extremely bad news for you about Bush V. Gore 2000

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is fantastic

https://mobile.twitter.com/vicenews/status/1062789767408967680

59 Republican judges got wiped out

Now Democrats hold all 85 judge seats

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coming in on the wrong side of criminal, creep and all-around bastard Mark Warner is a heck of an accomplishment.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Yeah, but that didn't set any precedents.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The_Donald is melting down that Jim Jordan will not be the minority leader

Ahahahahaha, imagine believing loving Trump is for a blue collar conservative workers party :wtc:

These people are absolutely the most gullible stupid people alive, and it's not even close

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

eke out posted:

while this is definitely news, I feel like given the political environment, who the Steering Committee appoints as ranking members of HPSCI and Judiciary are more interesting prospects

Trump is, hilariously, trying to get them to appoint Jim Jordan for judiciary but apparently the steering committee is made of people who publicly hate him

fyi Jim Jordan also has a pretty big scandel from Ohio state that is itching to go national. Tons of college wrestlers are talking about how he never reported sexual assault that was occurring to them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Recount versus ongoing count of already cast votes, and as has been pointed out, not precedent setting.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Well I guess that solves everything then.

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1062830126185046016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1062821740722769922

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nice. wonder if his imaginary friends told him that was a good idea

i'm so glad this guy is in a leadership position for another 2 years

thank you chuck schumer!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

UCS Hellmaker posted:

fyi Jim Jordan also has a pretty big scandel from Ohio state that is itching to go national. Tons of college wrestlers are talking about how he never reported sexual assault that was occurring to them.

It kind of did go national, it was just buried when the GOP came out and shouted in one voice that rape no longer mattered, so he’s safe now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

At least Bush v. Gore made a lot more sense, to the extent that it made any sense at all, than what Mia Love seems to be arguing.

She wants the counting to stop until they can inspect signatures on absentee ballots, after which they can resume counting valid ballots.... which is silly. She'll have plenty of time to do that after the count, and if she miraculously finds a mythical pile of defective ballots for her opponent and retakes the lead, then she wins. So, what she essentially is arguing is that her "damages" if the court doesn't intervene is bad publicity (having a larger lead later reversed instead of the current smaller lead).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

no, it's not, and the version being supported today is the Senate's

ok, so its just empty bullshit. thats better then a poison pill i guess.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

She shoooooook

She is not yet outright yelling about VOTER FRAUD like the rest of the GOP but she is coming awfully close, expect it soon.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress Chuck

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1062817479053856768

quote:

In November 2014, a Miami Beach-based firm, World Patent Marketing, announced the “marketing launch” of a “MASCULINE TOILET,” which boasted a specially designed bowl to help “well-endowed men” avoid unwanted contact with porcelain or water. “The average male genitalia is between 5″ and 6″,” the firm’s press release said. “However, this invention is designed for those of us who measure longer than that.”

In the same release, World Patent Marketing also touted the recent appointment of “Matthew G. Whitaker, former Iowa US Attorney and Republican candidate for United States Senate to the company’s advisory board.”

The special toilet was not the firm’s only notable offering. It marketed a slew of oddball inventions, including a “theoretical time travel commodity tied directly to price of Bitcoin.” Called Time Travel X and marketed as “a technology, an investment vehicle and a community of users,” the cryptocurrency never materialized. The firm also pitched Sasquatch dolls, promoting them with a video claiming that “DNA evidence collected in 2013 proves that Bigfoot does exist.”

Federal authorities say World Patent Marketing was scam. A federal judge shut down the company last year and fined it $26 million after the Federal Trade Commission found it had “bilked thousands of consumers out of millions of dollars” in fees it charged clients based on phony promises of lucrative patent deals. The company is under investigation by the FBI, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The company’s advisory board, which included a former presidential candidate in the Central Africa Republic and an Israeli-born mixed martial artist, gave it a patina of legitimacy. And between 2014 and 2016, as World Patent Marketing was hawking an array of dubious products and allegedly fleecing aspiring inventors, the company paid Whitaker at least $9,375.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Apply for day passes every day and then instantly file a lawsuit if a pass is refused? Sounds like it would be a grand bit of judicial curb stomping

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

It kind of did go national, it was just buried when the GOP came out and shouted in one voice that rape no longer mattered, so he’s safe now.

it's also that 95% of people have no idea who he is, but if he's officially in republican leadership that will be a good way to explain to people who he is

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

When your dick is so big you don’t just need a John, you need a Johnson :v:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its still idiotic to make any part of the process easier with the keystone klan in office

the only thing close to this is that they put in some fast track or special consideration if you get 290 sponsors on a bill or for an amendment if you can get 20 Democrats and 20 Republicans to sign off on it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 14, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok, so its just empty bullshit. thats better then a poison pill i guess.

i feel like you're actively not reading those of us saying it's a pretty good bill for sentencing reform

it could obviously be better, but it's a start

i mean, i quoted the Brennan Center there who supports it and they are the farthest thing from a right wing group. and being able to get your sentence reduced to what you would've gotten if crack and cocaine were treated equally is extremely important

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 14, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Apply for day passes every day and then instantly file a lawsuit if a pass is refused? Sounds like it would be a grand bit of judicial curb stomping

The suit states he filed for a day pass on Nov 8th and was denied.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Retro42 posted:

The suit states he filed for a day pass on Nov 8th and was denied.

"Sorry, we have limited space and CNN has over 50 passes. We're giving this day pass to Infowars."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

i feel like you're actively not reading those of us saying it's a pretty good bill for sentencing reform

it could obviously be better, but it's a start

i mean, i quoted the Brennan Center there who supports it and they are the farthest thing from a right wing group. and being able to get your sentence reduced to what you would've gotten if crack and cocaine were treated equally is extremely important

well. i hope your right. i just don't trust trump.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

remember those far-off, halcyon days of zuckerberg 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

remember those far-off, halcyon days of zuckerberg 2020

I'm sure we'll have to swat away 4 or 5 more loving billionaires before the primary.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

"The hard pass is more than just the press conference, you loving dumbass. He needs to interview other people in the white house"

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1062833727863226368

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

17 Democrats have signed a letter saying they will vote against Pelosi on the floor even if the caucus selects her. If she can't buy them off, she is toast.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1062833414875820032

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Going to guess that Schumer stays minority leader without a fight.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chuck Schumer is complicit in all of Zuckerbergs crimes against the American people.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

Going to guess that Schumer stays minority leader without a fight.

Oh that was decided much, much earlier today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

17 Democrats have signed a letter saying they will vote against Pelosi on the floor even if the caucus selects her. If she can't buy them off, she is toast.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1062833414875820032

quote:

- Tim Ryan (D-Ohio)

- Seth Moulton (D-Mass.)

- Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.)

- Ed Perlmutter (D-Colo.)

- Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.)

- Filemon Vela Jr. (D-Texas)

- Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio)

- Bill Foster (D-Ill.)

- Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.)

- Stephen Lynch (D-Mass.)