Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As a back tattoo that should match the ink that dude already has, sure, it's not ideal. But that phoenix looks dope and you can't convince me otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yusuke is a loving moron, as are the #Millenials.

It's not an actual person asking you to make tattoos for him, dumbass! It's someone's cognition of that person! You might as well have been hired by an imaginary friend! Just say "sure" and you get the "letter" without the "boss fight"!!!!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arist posted:

As a back tattoo that should match the ink that dude already has, sure, it's not ideal. But that phoenix looks dope and you can't convince me otherwise.

It doesn't really fit with the traditional Yakuza tattoo aesthetic, but it's still a sweet design that would make for an impressive tattoo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Whoops, I didn't mean to say that it looked bad or anything, just that it's not what I imagine for a yakuza tattoo after seeing 3 games worth of Yakuza now and that being what I expect. I agree that the picture looks good.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

ApeHawk posted:

Yusuke is a loving moron, as are the #Millenials.

It's not an actual person asking you to make tattoos for him, dumbass! It's someone's cognition of that person! You might as well have been hired by an imaginary friend! Just say "sure" and you get the "letter" without the "boss fight"!!!!

The biggest thing I noticed was how jarring the whole conversation felt; they talk more like new acquaintances than Best Friends Who Solve Crime. I know it's often mentioned that main story content has to move independently from Confidant progress, but at base the #Millenials should act and talk like the group of friends we're told they are. Everyone seems unnecessarily confrontational to everyone for no good reason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lightrook posted:

The biggest thing I noticed was how jarring the whole conversation felt; they talk more like new acquaintances than Best Friends Who Solve Crime. I know it's often mentioned that main story content has to move independently from Confidant progress, but at base the #Millenials should act and talk like the group of friends we're told they are. Everyone seems unnecessarily confrontational to everyone for no good reason.

Most friends groups bicker all the time.

Though I don't think Futaba and Yusuke consider each other friends. Their relationship seems a bit more hostile.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Futaba and Yusuke would definitely have murdered each other by now if it wasn't for a common goal. Same for Ryuji and Morgana.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

lightrook posted:

It's been said before, but the writing is seriously uneven; you can kind of see a central arc to things, but the picaresque nature of the plot and the unwillingness (perhaps inability) of the writers to indicate how close the team is getting to each other due to the SL system- as well as the series weird predilection to not deal with anything not directly related to the MC, at least in the cutscenes- these all prevent that arc from applying themselves to the group. P4 was better about this, in that you actually saw the group hanging out sometimes, but again, it was all related to the central mystery of the story, and interrupted for... let us be charitable and call them "humorous moments." (Which could have been team building as well, if handled appropriately. They were not.) I never really finished P1 and P2, somebody stole my PSP :argh:, so I don't know that they were better, and I've only read a couple of the SMT LPs, but in general... this franchise doesn't really seem as committed to character and relationship building as it does to thematic resonance. The RPGs that do care about that (and here I mostly refer to the Tales of... series, as well as the better class of FF) either slip it into the plot, make team building part of the struggle being faces, or else take a dip in the plot momentum to build some relationships. Tales have their skits, while Grandia has the really interesting idea of the "dinner" system, in which your characters talk about things other than the main plot if you so choose.

tl,dr: Character and team building actually takes some effort and thought, and should at least have one person attached to the development throughout the game- ideally, the same one managing the plot, but not always.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Futaba and Yusuke would definitely have murdered each other by now if it wasn't for a common goal. Same for Ryuji and Morgana.

Truly, without the threat of Makoto cracking their skulls together would the Phantom Thieves fall apart.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, the Thieves don't feel like friends in the same way the Inaba Mystery Inc. or even SEES do in the main plot - even with Mitsuru intentionally trying to keep a professional distance with the rest of SEES feel closer to them than Yusuke, Haru, and Futaba does with the rest of the thieves despite them not trying to be distance.

Probably does not help in Yusuke and Futaba's case they don't go to the same school as the rest so they get less hang out scenes, and Haru's introduced so late.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

resurgam40 posted:

It's been said before, but the writing is seriously uneven; you can kind of see a central arc to things, but the picaresque nature of the plot and the unwillingness (perhaps inability) of the writers to indicate how close the team is getting to each other due to the SL system- as well as the series weird predilection to not deal with anything not directly related to the MC, at least in the cutscenes- these all prevent that arc from applying themselves to the group. P4 was better about this, in that you actually saw the group hanging out sometimes, but again, it was all related to the central mystery of the story, and interrupted for... let us be charitable and call them "humorous moments." (Which could have been team building as well, if handled appropriately. They were not.) I never really finished P1 and P2, somebody stole my PSP :argh:, so I don't know that they were better, and I've only read a couple of the SMT LPs, but in general... this franchise doesn't really seem as committed to character and relationship building as it does to thematic resonance. The RPGs that do care about that (and here I mostly refer to the Tales of... series, as well as the better class of FF) either slip it into the plot, make team building part of the struggle being faces, or else take a dip in the plot momentum to build some relationships. Tales have their skits, while Grandia has the really interesting idea of the "dinner" system, in which your characters talk about things other than the main plot if you so choose.

tl,dr: Character and team building actually takes some effort and thought, and should at least have one person attached to the development throughout the game- ideally, the same one managing the plot, but not always.

My favorite game in the series is SMT IV, which is much more stripped down in terms of party dynamics than the Persona games. You only travel with three people, who only exist as far as the main quest is concerned. It's definitely more a thematic game than a character-focused one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: I forgot the characters keep calling out how dumb their elaborate attempts to obtain letters are because it just always ends up in a fight anyway.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I always felt the Persona 5 crew did come across as a group of friends who are only such because of the circumstance. They’re eclectic and can argue but a lot of the incendental dialogue and how they interact feels friendly enough.

Mementos dialogue is really good for this.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Mementos conversations alone should avert this entire problem but the design for Mementos is so unproductive and the clips are so easily/often skipped that they're kind of useless.

It's surprising to see how important incidental dialogue can be in the long run.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Haru's entire character is hidden in Mementos conversations!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe if you stay in Mementos long enough, Haru will tell you where she hid the bodies. :ohdear:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reminds me of Bioware RPG's (DA:O in particular comes to mind) where a lot of character flavor is hidden in random party banter you can only get by having certain characters together at certain times in certain places. There's legit work put in, but it's pointless if most never see it.

The game would have picked up a solid 1-2 points on the rating scale by delaying and pouring a couple additional months into polishing Mementos.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Probably does not help in Yusuke and Futaba's case they don't go to the same school as the rest so they get less hang out scenes, and Haru's introduced so late.

It does feel like close to half the cast is made up of Ken Amadas sometimes. Maybe they'll improve things in the fighting game!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I want P5 Arena if only to see where the Scoobies are nowadays. The post-saved-the-world lives of the P3 crew were, for me, the best part of the P4A games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hope they're doing jack poo poo, I love the P4 cast but aside from fun stuff like Yukari being on Featherman I didn't love where they went with the P3 cast post-game, and not just because I'm not a huge fan of that cast. Part of it though is just that I don't like the Shadow Operatives at all, either in execution or even conceptually.

e: Labrys is cool though, I hate the idea of robots in this series but she's neat.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Arist posted:

I hope they're doing jack poo poo, I love the P4 cast but aside from fun stuff like Yukari being on Featherman I didn't love where they went with the P3 cast post-game, and not just because I'm not a huge fan of that cast. Part of it though is just that I don't like the Shadow Operatives at all, either in execution or even conceptually.

e: Labrys is cool though, I hate the idea of robots in this series but she's neat.

I think one of the points Vinny and Jeff at Giant Bomb made at the end of the P4 endurance run was that they didn’t necessarily want another Persona game, they wanted another game with those characters in Inaba. I’ve only watched play throughs of P4 and 5 but I’m kind of in the same boat. Change is good but you get to like characters and get invested in their stories after the plot wraps up. The fighting games don’t seem to have delivered that in the way that a full sequel or follow-up story-focused thing would, though.

An interesting thing Super Sentai (Featherman’s not very subtle inspiration) does is they’ll occasionally do ‘10 years after’ one-off movies for older shows, where they get the original cast back together and they all suit up for one last ride because [plot reasons]. Something like that would work really well for Persona games if you could get the original voice cast back. Maybe put out a short piece of DLC for Persona 5 or 6 that’s just a standalone short game set in Inaba. I’d love that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like close to half the cast is made up of Ken Amadas sometimes. Maybe they'll improve things in the fighting game!

I'm doubtful given how the spin off games really flatten a lot of characters - Akihiko and Chie got reduced to 'meat and punch/kick guys' and Kanji gets even more homophobic jokes directed at him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I never got why Kanji got bullied for homophobic reasons. Wasn't the whole point of his TV Palace thing that people thought he was gay because he had hobbies people didn't see as masculine?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, but Yosuke is a lovely Insecure Teenager and he says and does things that lovely Insecure Teenagers do.

It's realistic, but not particularly likable.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Tone deafness in this franchise clearly didn't start in P5.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

I'm doubtful given how the spin off games really flatten a lot of characters - Akihiko and Chie got reduced to 'meat and punch/kick guys' and Kanji gets even more homophobic jokes directed at him.

I was mostly joking, but without getting too into the weeds of the other Persona games, it did seem like P4 Golden did add a bunch of stuff that I thought helped flesh out the characters even more and I'm not ashamed to admit I would probably buy a P5 Golden equivalent if it came out on the PS4.

That said I would also totally buy a game about Akihiko and Chie punching all the things and eating all the steaks.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 16, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DanielCross posted:

Yeah, but Yosuke is a lovely Insecure Teenager and he says and does things that lovely Insecure Teenagers do.

It's realistic, but not particularly likable.

the anime triples on it and makes Yu join in on it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Robindaybird posted:

Part of the reason I never loved the anime!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, the anime was always kind of handicapping itself. Hard to cram the game into a series without relying on shtick. Or at lest they didn't try very hard not to.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never got why Kanji got bullied for homophobic reasons. Wasn't the whole point of his TV Palace thing that people thought he was gay because he had hobbies people didn't see as masculine?

Yes, but there's also a fairly heavy implication that he actually is gay, or at least bisexual. It's just that those two things really have nothing to do with each other.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Stroth posted:

Yes, but there's also a fairly heavy implication that he actually is gay, or at least bisexual. It's just that those two things really have nothing to do with each other.

Isn't he just Naoto-sexual?

But yeah, his stereotypically non-masculine hobbies getting him bullied by classmates and him lashing out and going hypermasculine and delinquent because of it has nothing to do with his actual sexuality.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GhostStalker posted:

Isn't he just Naoto-sexual?

I mean if having a blatant crush on a cross dresser that you originally believed to be male isn't a decent indicator of bisexuality then I don't know what is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 169: 12/7: Resume Pleasantries

Music: Desire

When last we left our heroes, Akechi returned, seemingly having figured out from Shido’s paranoia that we were loving around in his head. But the game does a terrible job of emphasizing that, so there was much confusion about it (mainly from me)! Anyway, I wonder what he could possibly want.

Why’s he here…!?
Hmph… I’m impressed that you managed to deceive me. It seems I underestimated your abilities.

Under different circumstances, we could have been great rivals… or perhaps even friends.

Nah, miss me with that poo poo, bro.

You don’t allow yourself to be enslaved by such things as human relations or past selves… And so, your heart is always free. The exact opposite of mine. To be honest, I’m envious… I wonder why we couldn’t have met a few years earlier, Maaku…

Does he? Does he truly regret this turn of events? Well tough poo poo, he’s a murderer. I didn’t see him regretting that turn of events.

Oh, for gently caress’s sake

But… it’s no use talking in hypotheticals. That didn’t happen in reality…
Akechi! Why are you cooperating with someone like Shido!? Don’t you see what this Palace looks like!? His true nature is--

What are you talking about? I don’t care for Shido, or this country.

GASP! What a twist!

Shido is your father…!?
Remember I said before, how my mother had been in a relationship with some good-for-nothing man?

Futaba and Maaku were the only ones there for that, so most of us don’t, actually.

So I’m his bastard child. My very existence is nothing but a scandal… My mother’s life turned for the worse after she had me… and died. I was a cursed child for her too.
That’s horrible…
I resented him, but he was already a high-ranking official by then. A kid like me could do nothing.

Music: Blood of Villain

Who cares? My targets were all doing the same drat thing in this eat or be eaten world. All I did was remove their evil from society. How is that any different from the Phantom Thieves?
We’re not murderers!

I guess he’s right. There isn’t really a huge difference between murdering people and not murdering people. I can see where he’s coming from.

And that’s when I—an utter disgrace to the world—will rule over him. I will prevail!

In just a few weeks, my plan would have come to fruition…! But no, you just had to interfere…! I can still take it back though. I’ll just need to kill you all.
Hmph, we won’t get killed for something like that. You talk big, but you’re really nothing more than a little kid throwing a temper tantrum!

Oh poo poo, burned by the cat!!!

Don’t lecture me, you piece of poo poo…

Weak response, though. Point goes to Morgana.

I am going to personally thrust Masayoshi Shido into a living hell. So, Joker… rest easy and die.

I agree. There is no need to speak any longer.
You sure sound confident, but don’t go pressin’ your luck. We already know all your tricks from back when you were workin’ with us.

I’m actually with Haru. Common misconception, there. Ryuji’s more a “bro” than a “partner.”

Huh1? Quit bluffin’!
It’s no bluff. If he truly is behind the mental shutdowns, he’s likely only shown us a fraction of his strength.

Ahhhh poo poo.

Boss: Goro Akechi

Music: Blooming Villain

Akechi doesn’t even get his own boss music. How lame.

I won’t let you stop me!

Those cannot be explained unless the true culprit has the power to make people’s hearts psychotic… *snicker* That’s right! It’s my power—one that you don’t have!

Oh hey, finally some resolution on that. Cool.

Allow me to show you!

That wasn’t Robin Hood… Could it have been a different Persona?

He can use two Personas too!?

Even the feeblest existence can gain tremendous power once the chains on its heart are broken.

Akechi then loving backflips offscreen.

What did Akechi do!? The enemies are way stronger now!

The battle starts with both enemies using Desperation to raise their Attack and lower their defense just like Leviathan did. Once this wears off in three turns or so, they will automatically reuse it.

I’ve taken pains to simulate the experience of a first-time player going into this fight, so I’m low on HP and SP because this fight is a “surprise”!

Worth noting: under the effect of Desperation, these guys can and will gently caress you up! Still, you should easily be able to take them down in just a few turns, even with their massively inflated health pools.

This guy’s out of his mind…!

You have deceived me and escaped death, after all.

He’s coming… Brace yourselves!

This fight is simply a continuation of the last fight, so buffs, debuffs, and turn order will all carry over. A note to make here is that it seems like in this phase, Akechi will only attack Maaku. Also sometimes when he calls his Persona he shouts out "PERSONAAAAAAARGH" and it's really funny.

Akechi is capable of using almost all of his skills from his time as a party member. Here, he uses Kougaon. He can also use Eigaon.

I didn’t have it equipped at the time, so I got knocked down, but Melchizedek is a great choice for this fight due to its resistances. It drains Bless and Blocks Curse, so Akechi can’t do much to it.

Akechi doesn’t actually have an awful lot of health for a boss, so a round of Matarukaja’d attacks courtesy of Ryuji will get him pretty near critical HP.

*chuckle* So… neither of us had shown our true strengths, huh…?

You should really watch the video for this fight, because this is certainly some loving voice acting right here.

Kinda disappointed in Megidolaon after that huge animation.

Finally, Akechi can Charge up, but it just sets up another Megaton Raid from him. We guard through it.

And then, he’s down.

Music: Desire

So he’s able to turn people psychotic… I thought it was some special thing like the Nav, but it seems to be his own Persona’s power.

That’s the weakest Stand Persona I’ve ever seen, then.

I can’t believe that the ability to control and drive others mad was born from within his heart…

Will you please stop!? You’re fighting the wrong people! We both hate the same guy! Why do we have to go against each other!?
Killing us won’t make you happy.
But… I…!
This ain’t about what Shido says! You’re your own person! You gotta know that!

Uhhh, what’s going on? Are we trying to redeem the mass murderer here?

drat it…!
You know… sometimes I think about that fake Medjed that you guys made up… That was the worst trap… but if not for that, I don’t think I’d be here right now. Uhhh, basically… it doesn’t matter where you start over!

What the gently caress!? He killed your mom, Futaba!

And… you don’t really hate Joker, do you?

You’re thinking about how much you want to **** Joker, aren’t you?

That smile before we fought… Isn’t that how you really feel?
……!?
Follow your true feelings…! Even if you think people hate you or don’t want you around, that’s--

You’re right, they don’t! Because you’re a murderer!

Why am I inferior to you…!?

Oh boy, it’s time for the not-at-all clichéd “The real difference between Maaku and Akechi is that Maaku has friends” bullshit. I was cringing at this crap as an eight-year-old playing loving Kingdom Hearts.

I was extremely particular about my life, m y grades, my public image, so someone would want me around! I am an ace detective… a celebrity!

How does someone like you have things I don’t!?

This really is a tantrum, wow.

This argument is meaningless…!

Music: Blood of Villain

A black mask…!

Wait, who’s he talking about…?
It can’t be… There was another intruder besides us within this Palace…!?

I’ll let you in on a little something… There’s a criminal using other people’s Palaces to accomplish whatever they drat well please. They don’t care about consequences. Psychotic breakdowns, mental shutdowns… anything goes.

fuckin’ what

makoto

come on

you’re supposed to be smarter than this

I’m surprised… This is actually a first for me. I might even have to try my hardest against you. You know… I just came up with a fun little idea… I wonder how far I can go with this…
Fun…?
You wanted to see my powers, didn’t you? Fine… I’ll show them to you!

All I care about now is killing all of you…

Akechi’s “Awakening” (I left in a segment before this scene because Daymond really goes for it. I’m not sure it’s a great performance, but he really, really tries)

Music: Awakening

He can use two separate powers…!?

No way…!

Boss: The Black Mask

Music: Will Power

You are the trash of society…!

Teammates are nothing but trash!

Well, we’ve got another fight in front of us here. And it’s one with a lot more health. To prepare, I’ve slightly cheated by using Mystery Stews at the end of the previous fight to restore 30% of Makoto and Ryuji’s SP at the cost of a temporary debuff to all their battle parameters (which Makoto can just dispel anyway with Dekunda), as is visible in the corresponding video for that fight. If you don’t feel good doing that, just do it at the start of this fight or use carrots or whatever, god knows we have plenty.

Akechi is the sinner of Emptiness, not represented by any demon, but let’s just say it’s Loki, how about that?

Speaking of Loki, here’s some concept art for him!

Akechi starts by casting Tetrakarn on himself, forcing us to break it by throwing ourselves at it. Annoying.

Now that he’s turned himself psychotic, he gets two turns! How fun! He’ll also use Brave Blade to inflict a lot of Physical damage.

He can use Negative Pile as well, which deals less damage but can inflict Despair.

Getting him down to 60% or so gives us this message.

Anything goes… if you say you’re teammates…!

Now he can use Makarakarn, which is much easier to deal with because most of the party blocks their chosen element.

He can also still use Eigaon and Kougaon, so watch out. Also the lower-level Maeigaon and Maragion, for some reason.

I don’t need… teammates… I don’t…

Let’s have Maaku guard, just in case.

This fight still isn’t very difficult.

*screaming in pain*

And Akechi’s down for the count. What a loser.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 19, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Loki just cant catch a break this year.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is very appropriate that he has Loki as his awakened persona.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Here lies Akechi Goro

He Never Scored

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

It is very appropriate that he has Loki as his awakened persona.
Haha, yeah, the people who only know a bit about the gods and maybe only from the Marvel movies are often quite surprised to hear about how his story ends

Still, RIP Sergeants Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band persona dude

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

I love this dumbass screenshot because you see how the subtitles say "Here comes," thinking it's an error, and then you realize Morgana's VA just straight-up says it too :downs:

Also, the script for this scene is pretty bad but Robbie Daymond is having the time of his loving life as insane Akechi and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
IIRC, Akechi will only attack Joker for at least one of his phases, making it pretty easy/amusing to just keep up Tetrakarn/Makarakarn on him. This is similar to how the big robot in the Okumura fight will only target Haru.