Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mega64 posted:

A reminder that FF9 had no palette swaps besides the crystal versions of the four fiends.

Do a lot of the PSX games have them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Last Celebration posted:

Do a lot of the PSX games have them?

Tbh I cant remember a single swapped enemy in FFVIII either.

Like, the Triple Triad card game is based on those monsters and theres a lot of cards.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
8 didn't have palette swaps because all the monsters scaled in level based on Squall/the party's levels.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

A few of the bosses in Ultimecia's Castle were palette swaps, but that's about all I can think of.

Also propagators :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like palette swaps but then again I have a particular liking for color schemes. I like to see how much you can do just with colors and taking a single model and changing its colors is something that gives my lizard brain a lot of joy in studying. What works? What doesn't? Why? And so on.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Pallete swaps really aren't a big deal since I understand wanting to save on development time and costs but 10 was a bit egregious

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The next FF should only have one enemy that’s just a palette swapped rotating cube with what we should imagine it to be written on it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The next FF should only have one enemy that’s just a palette swapped rotating cube with what we should imagine it to be written on it

They already did that with the music cubes in Lost Odyssee

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The next Final Fantasy should have 16 enemies, since it will be FF16. The game is entirely about finding and killing these 16 enemies.

One of them will be repeated twice though, for some reason.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Raxivace posted:

The next Final Fantasy should have 16 enemies, since it will be FF16. The game is entirely about finding and killing these 16 enemies.

Shadow of the colossus but with summons

....or Weapons

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ainsley McTree posted:

....or Weapons

Shadow of the Eidolon

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Raxivace posted:

I legit think this could be an amazing idea and game if done right, by outsourcing the game to the Ico guys, if they are even still around.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

FF16 should have 16 playable characters. Beat FF6's record. And one of them should be a talking chocobo!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
16 playable characters and 16 bosses. Your party is composed of summons and the enemies are all (PREFIX) WEAPONS.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also it will be 16 years in development

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Also it will be directed by a literal 16 year old, instead of men who act like 16 year olds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rebought FFXIII, playing it a fourth time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

16 planned DLCs, canceled after 16 months

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

But why?!

Only kinda joking, I bought it a couple times and played it twice. It was okay.

Also does X-enhanced just mean it's 4K now or something? Who gives a poo poo? I mean, b being backwards compatible is all fine and good but it was the "X enhanced" stuff that interested me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

But why?!

Only kinda joking, I bought it a couple times and played it twice. It was okay.

Also does X-enhanced just mean it's 4K now or something? Who gives a poo poo? I mean, b being backwards compatible is all fine and good but it was the "X enhanced" stuff that interested me.

Its 4k, including cutscenes because SE re-rendered them apparently for this, and the controller works 100% of the time meaning its like the one game* you can point to where it is unambiguously better on console than pc.

*Original Resident Evil 4 port has a better option now

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

What happened to you that made you this way.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I like FFXIII but realize that this is an objectively wrong opinion to hold and stems from some sort of horrible problem with me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, I got the feeling this thread's general view of XIII had softened. Not loved but not hated.

People love the battle system, even though that's literally all there is to do in the game which kinda ruins it as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is good in excess.

Why I prefer XIII-2. I don't care if it's simplified and easier, I have things I can do besides fight and go to the next cutscene.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 15, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
With enough time, FF3 DS will be considered the Dark Souls of FF, and be looked upon fondly as a test of a True Gamer's 1337 Skillz

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lightning Returns is the best game in the entire series

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

cock hero flux posted:

I like FFXIII but realize that this is an objectively wrong opinion to hold and stems from some sort of horrible problem with me.

Actually FF13 is cool so it's all good, dude.

And yeah it's mostly battle system for me. I think the story isn't as terrible as some people say either, though it does have clear flaws.

Gologle posted:

With enough time, FF3 DS will be considered the Dark Souls of FF, and be looked upon fondly as a test of a True Gamer's 1337 Skillz

This I strongly doubt, at least for anyone who's played both versions of FF3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Combat in FFXIII is upper tier for the franchise, and its difficulty pacing is the best in the franchise, while everything else is basically bottom tier. How this nets out for you as an overall package is going to determine how you feel about the game. As a person who skips any cutscene offered and hates playing "find the NPC you need to talk to to progress the game" 13 was basically perfection for me as far as JRPGs go, but if you're here for like "A sensible story" and "explorable towns" you're not gonna have a good time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

ff3-ds has no skill involved, it's just grinding and luck. in which case nis games have it beaten by a country mile

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

ff3-ds has no skill involved, it's just grinding and luck. in which case nis games have it beaten by a country mile

Knowing to turn the game off and stop playing is a skill, and one that I lacked.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

corn in the bible posted:

Lightning Returns is the best game in the entire series

It's the only one worth speedrunning.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ventana posted:

think the story isn't as terrible as some people say either, though it does have clear flaws.

I enjoyed FFXIII's story a lot because it was bad but in a funny way. Like you could tell that lots of effort had been put into making this very dumb story and I was able to appreciate it in that light.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love 13 but the story is trash and i cant defend anything in it that isnt lightning punching snow

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What's the general opinion on Original vs. Arranged OST for FFX?

I like most of the classic tracks more I think but admittedly some nostalgia in that. For instance, I think the new version of the boss theme is wholly inferior to the original.

But then again, I've heard the whole regular FFX OST many times but this would be my first time going through FFX with the new OST. I might hear new songs I like more. I haven't listened to the whole remastered soundtrack.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ainsley McTree posted:

....or Weapons

Blood of Bahamut could have been neat

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The new OST is mostly agreed to be terrible

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love 13 but the story is trash and i cant defend anything in it that isnt lightning punching snow

honestly I can think of several moments which, while very very stupid, I enjoyed immensely:

lightning apologizing to a door
lightning punching snow
snow's confusion as to what guns are for resulting in him casually throwing them away, handing them to children or firing them wildly into the air to make noise
vanille's instant understanding of what guns are for when she picks one up and immediately starts gunning people down with it
hope's increasingly furious facial expressions when snow talks to him while he has a giant blood grudge against him

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

NikkolasKing posted:

What's the general opinion on Original vs. Arranged OST for FFX?

I like most of the classic tracks more I think but admittedly some nostalgia in that. For instance, I think the new version of the boss theme is wholly inferior to the original.

But then again, I've heard the whole regular FFX OST many times but this would be my first time going through FFX with the new OST. I might hear new songs I like more. I haven't listened to the whole remastered soundtrack.

It's kinda mix & match on what versions of songs are better personally.

Seymour Battle is just way better in the HD Remaster and sounds amazing while keeping the original feel. Conversely Challenge sounds awful and loses a lot of the punch the original had.

Related Fun Fact: Challenge only plays for 2 entire fights in all of FFX, those being Seymour Flux (Mt. Gagazet) and Yunalesca. It's how that song still gives me some degree of anxiety because it only ever played for two of the hardest fights in the game, not counting optional content.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

cock hero flux posted:

A lot of these are pretty good, but I think people need to highlight this one more cause it's sorta treated like a big deal but it makes no sense at all. It looks like Lightning is apologizing to Serah but....Serah would have no connection to the doors or locks of the Vestige. It's just funny timing with Snow unlocking parts of the Vestige, but that makes the apology worth even less.

Though in looking back in the cutscenes, I noticed something I never really thought about. When Sahz was trying to talk to Lightning about Serah, Lightning told him "It's people like you that started the purge in the first place" when she accuses him of not caring about l'cie. To Sahz of all people. :smith:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

honestly I can think of several moments which, while very very stupid, I enjoyed immensely:

lightning punching snow
snow's confusion as to what guns are for resulting in him casually throwing them away, handing them to children or firing them wildly into the air to make noise
vanille's instant understanding of what guns are for when she picks one up and immediately starts gunning people down with it
hope's increasingly furious facial expressions when snow talks to him while he has a giant blood grudge against him

For the first 2 hours of the game I assumed it was a story about women punching Snow in the face. Also Hope's grudge is great because its just Hope giving death glares while Snow just smiles back blissfully unaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I see the sale on the PSN shop. Thinking of picking up 9 and X/x2 for my PS4 Pro. Never played a final fantasy other than tactics... which should I start with? Are these good buys if I want a break from current games like red dead and fortnite?