Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

My prediction:

- May allows amendments to the deal, and they all fail as Brexiter and Remainder votes cancel each other out. This is used as evidence that no other deal could pass the commons.

- At the last second she declares failure of the deal to pass would constitute a confidence vote leading to a general election. All Tory rebellion evaporates.

- The DUP vote against, but only after checking there are enough Labour rebels for the deal to pass. It does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Why in gently caress do the FBPE people want a second referendum anyway? They haven't shown any nuance or introspection about the result, there's no new arguments, they haven't shown even a hint of addressing the economic reasons everyone is so hosed off, what are they playing at? It's just a load of rich cunts that, for the first time in their 'Thatcher/Blair/Coalition' lives have suffered a vote that will hurt them some. loving grow up, every government in my lifetime has actively made my life worse to make the rich richer, I don't disregard democracy over it.

If there's a second referendum I'm voting Leave, not because leaving won't be poo poo but because we had a loving vote and these FBPErs haven't got a principle or moral bone between them. I hate them more than I hate Farage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is kind of surreal watching people tell corbyn that he needs to back a #peoplesvote if he doesn't like the deal.

As opposed to, like, I dunno, voting it down in parliament or winning a GE.

No no, another referendum will solve the problem and is obvously more doable than either of the other options.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's a fair number of people who don't want a GE but do want Brexit to stop.

Unfortunately for them they don't really vote Labour so Corbyn isn't exactly going to go to bat for them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Why in gently caress do the FBPE people want a second referendum anyway? They haven't shown any nuance or introspection about the result, there's no new arguments, they haven't shown even a hint of addressing the economic reasons everyone is so hosed off, what are they playing at? It's just a load of rich cunts that, for the first time in their 'Thatcher/Blair/Coalition' lives have suffered a vote that will hurt them some. loving grow up, every government in my lifetime has actively made my life worse to make the rich richer, I don't disregard democracy over it.

It's because liberal petty bourg people absolutely cannot handle not getting their way.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Whenever the people's vote thing comes up, I'm going to think of that estate agent who saw one branch lose £140,000 in fees in one month through sales falling through due to Brexit uncertainty who then wanted the hardest possible Brexit and think that maybe this decision shouldn't be put in the hands of the people

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jabby posted:

- At the last second she declares failure of the deal to pass would constitute a confidence vote leading to a general election. All Tory rebellion evaporates.

- The DUP vote against, but only after checking there are enough Labour rebels for the deal to pass. It does.

Yep, and one thing to keep in mind is that there's probably going to be like a month between now and the actual vote, that might make May's hand stronger as well w.r.t. rebellion-crushing. Well, probably, just guessing here

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jabby posted:

My prediction:

- May allows amendments to the deal, and they all fail as Brexiter and Remainder votes cancel each other out. This is used as evidence that no other deal could pass the commons.

This seems depressingly plausible.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Whenever the people's vote thing comes up, I'm going to think of that estate agent who saw one branch lose £140,000 in fees in one month through sales falling through due to Brexit uncertainty who then wanted the hardest possible Brexit and think that maybe this decision shouldn't be put in the hands of the people

In London, isn't that like one sale?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In London, isn't that like one sale?

if it was London, yeah but this wasn't London

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
what if we just cancel brexit and dont tell anyone

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Brexit, canceled? Oh no no, the negotiations are merely prolonged. What? For how long? Oh, let's say, fifty or sixty years, at minimum.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Vitamin P posted:

If there's a second referendum I'm voting Leave, not because leaving won't be poo poo but because we had a loving vote and these FBPErs haven't got a principle or moral bone between them. I hate them more than I hate Farage.

Steady on now, let’s not say anything we don’t mean.

Also, voting against your own interests out of spite is what the Tories are counting on to stay in power. So good job enabling that I guess?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I've maintained this whole time that the wisest possible option is "don't and say we did". It's in everyone involved's best interests. The EU get to hold us up as an example, we get to #takebackcontrol, Big Dave on the street gets to live and die in Free Britane, and we don't need to organize ourselves into tribes for scavenging the dustlands.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've maintained this whole time that the wisest possible option is "don't and say we did". It's in everyone involved's best interests. The EU get to hold us up as an example, we get to #takebackcontrol, Big Dave on the street gets to live and die in Free Britane, and we don't need to organize ourselves into tribes for scavenging the dustlands.

I'm definitely in for the Quantum Brexit Superposition.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

minema posted:

The secretary for the local Labour branch came round today to ask if I'd be attending the voting for our new councillor and seemed mildly disapproving that I'd missed the shortlisting meeting. I didn't know joining Labour would lead to these sorts of interruptions in my dinner or I might not have bothered!

Wait - you get competition for local councillor selections? We have a press gang.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Voting leave to own the lib (dems)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Steady on now, let’s not say anything we don’t mean.

Also, voting against your own interests out of spite is what the Tories are counting on to stay in power. So good job enabling that I guess?

Guardian Soul Mates incarnate weighs in. Since I don't believe in violent revolution my best interests require democratic votes for policies which liberals will whinge about. A society that priorities liberals whinging over democracy is literally incapable of supporting my best interest. This is basic and obvious stuff.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i hope there's a leadership contest, it'll be fun to watch with all the enmity going down

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I'm holding out hope for a GE and a 2nd referendum personally. It'll effectively be a public vote on this deal. I think the turnout for remain will be a lot higher now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Guardian Soul Mates incarnate weighs in. Since I don't believe in violent revolution my best interests require democratic votes for policies which liberals will whinge about. A society that priorities liberals whinging over democracy is literally incapable of supporting my best interest. This is basic and obvious stuff.

Accelerationism doesn't work and only harms the people at the bottom of the stack.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Accelerationism doesn't work and only harms the people at the bottom of the stack.

Agreed but respecting a referendum result isn't accelerationism so what's your point?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Agreed but respecting a referendum result isn't accelerationism so what's your point?

My point is voting for policy in line with fascists because there's some people on twitter you don't like feels a bit like you're not considering a bigger picture.

To use the tortured busdriver metaphor that comes up with Brexit a lot, you're demanding the bus be driven over the cliff because the person saying it's a bad idea has bad breath.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think the solution that will prevent itself in 20 years to policy hacks who spend all their time moaning about why people didn't see their ideas through is going to be really annoying,

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Nice to see UKIP is taking this well
https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/1062866528943702016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Is that....Chamberlain?

E: It is, from his "Peace In Our Time" speech. Did they really think this through?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

My point is voting for policy in line with fascists because there's some people on twitter you don't like feels a bit like you're not considering a bigger picture.

To use the tortured busdriver metaphor that comes up with Brexit a lot, you're demanding the bus be driven over the cliff because the person saying it's a bad idea has bad breath.

So you actually weren't talking about accelerationalism then, fine and grand, I got confused because you talked about accelerationalism.

TBH if you want to overturn a peoples vote because of the musings and implied superior acumen of an intellectual overclass then I'd be hesitant about calling other people fascists. And that metaphor is absolute dogshit.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Um......

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Love voting to crash the country to own the libs.

Anyway, maybe a way this could pan out is that May passes the deal by getting votes from Labour MPs with the price being a guaranteed second referendum with a straight yes/no on the deal, with no being staying in the EU.

This would mean that no deal would definitely not happen, and we would probably end up staying in the EU since no one likes this awful deal.

Well, it’s a nice thought, at any rate.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 15, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Apraxin posted:

Um......

Its because earlier in the day all the people actually involved in the business of making people not die dragged him into a room and pinned his eyes open to the fact that all the medicines would run out and the ones that don't would cost 2 billion more.

Like any idiot could have figured out. Whats surprising to me here is that I thought these guys were well aware and treating this as a feature not a bug so I dunno.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

jBrereton posted:

They would claim literally anything was either a betrayal or the best possible, most vital deal for their constituents depending on what they thought would give them the most power and potential leverage in the future. Currently that is grandstanding, we'll see if it's changed by tomorrow.

Nope, the DUP will burn down literally any and everything else needed to maintain what is, in their view, The Union. Like yeah in normal times they'd want to just carry on milking the government for cash for Norn Iron (And it's not the worse pork ever, given how much poverty the place still has to overcome) but Brexit is a far bigger deal than any money short of making Arlene the world's first multi-trillionaire so she can just buy everything on these islands and unify them under the Red Hand and Orange Sash.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Bella Caledonia did a good piece on Andrew Neil

https://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2018/11/14/brillos-brexit-and-the-museum-of-communist-terror/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you're in the position to start a new life in Australia I don't think you're doing too bad.

Want a house? gently caress off, mate.
Want a car? gently caress off, mate.
Want stable employment and livable hours? gently caress off, mate.
Want a contract that isn't total bullshit? gently caress off, mate.
Want a stable healthcare system that isn't going to be sold off in order to privatise it? gently caress off, mate.
Want childcare? gently caress off, mate.
Want a future? gently caress off, mate.

I haven't actually looked that closely at australia.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
THIS IS ARE DEPENDENCE DAY

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Maybe it's all a plan to solve the planet's energy issues by hooking Big Ian's body up to a dynamo and then doing... this

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ms Adequate posted:

Nope, the DUP will burn down literally any and everything else needed to maintain what is, in their view, The Union. Like yeah in normal times they'd want to just carry on milking the government for cash for Norn Iron (And it's not the worse pork ever, given how much poverty the place still has to overcome) but Brexit is a far bigger deal than any money short of making Arlene the world's first multi-trillionaire so she can just buy everything on these islands and unify them under the Red Hand and Orange Sash.

I would take twenty years of fleg chat over Brexit

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So I became an officer of my CLP last night and then immediately regretted it as we engaged in a very woolly discussion on social care.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Vitamin P posted:

:ironicat:

conveniently, the ukips might just agree with your sentiment there!

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 15, 2018

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/ShaileshVara/status/1062971538977234944?s=19

Here we go?

c0burn fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 15, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Junior minister. They're expendable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

*looks fondly at photos of precious memories on desk*
*presses ejector seat button as Arlene kicks the door in*