Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

As a fan of the comic, they did a time jump after the war with the Saviors there too, of a couple years. It worked there though because they only did one jump and it was a logical story progression to have a few prosperous (IE boring) years after eliminating/co-opting the biggest threat in the area.

The show really had zero reason to do two time jumps. None of the things that happened in the first five episodes needed to take place anywhere but in the immediate aftermath of the war. And like the poster above said, they were totally pointless.

What they could have done is have each of those 5 episodes set a year apart from the previous. Make them all a “day in the life of” the survivors and use them to introduce new characters, let other characters go, and change the scene / dynamic of the communities. It lets Judith grow over time. It lets Negan’s craziness brew. It lets Maggie hate of another year with Negan alive warp her leading. It lets Daryl become more and more isolated.

But to have two time jumps and still have no noticeable changes in the communities, people, or the world in general is loving absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Acacia REI posted:

Nah, Gimple had actually told him that he would have at least 3 more years on the show so he bought a house in Georgia and delayed his plans for college to accommodate the filming schedule. Gimple then changed his mind and killed him off just a few months later lol. Chandler Riggs was bummed, but professional about it. His dad was furious though and put both Gimple and AMC on blast for it.

Welp, lol @ this show.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Do you think the producers and writers etc. are surrounded by people who think this is a great show and are crying their eyes out when watching scenes like Dumpster Glenn or Rick teleporting to a river bench, and that's why they also think the show is good?

"So what did you think about this episode I wrote? Pretty good, huh?

"Oh, Archibald, your episode really was the bomb diggity. I will never forgive you for playing with my feelings like that, lol."

"Heh, I've still got it... *cracks knuckles*"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gortarius posted:

Do you think the producers and writers etc. are surrounded by people who think this is a great show and are crying their eyes out when watching scenes like Dumpster Glenn or Rick teleporting to a river bench, and that's why they also think the show is good?

Absolutely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No, Rick Ascended into the clouds.

:perfect:

Acacia REI posted:

Nah, Gimple had actually told him that he would have at least 3 more years on the show so he bought a house in Georgia and delayed his plans for college to accommodate the filming schedule. Gimple then changed his mind and killed him off just a few months later lol. Chandler Riggs was bummed, but professional about it. His dad was furious though and put both Gimple and AMC on blast for it.

Wow that’s super lovely: I’m glad the guy was finally able to get a haircut, but he didn’t deserve to get Wil Wheatoned.
:smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hadn't heard that about Chandler Riggs and yeah it's real poo poo to fire someone after they bought a house in Georgia. Outside of Americus and (if we're being generous) Athens, GA is a complete shithole even by the standards of the South.

Atlanta is legit the worst city I've ever lived or worked in and that list includes Los Angeles because at least LA has a ton of cool stuff to do

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

precision posted:

I hadn't heard that about Chandler Riggs and yeah it's real poo poo to fire someone after they bought a house in Georgia. Outside of Americus and (if we're being generous) Athens, GA is a complete shithole even by the standards of the South.

Atlanta is legit the worst city I've ever lived or worked in and that list includes Los Angeles because at least LA has a ton of cool stuff to do

I went to the aquarium there once, that was cool!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No, Rick Ascended into the clouds.

you guys are gonna make me start watching this heap again poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Walrus posted:

you guys are gonna make me start watching this heap again poo poo

Rick is dying but trash lady poochies him away in a helicopter and then there's a six year timeskip with no explanation of the helicopter or trash lady's motives or where rick is, also the helicopter is like a full-on functional medevac chopper and rick gets intubated and IV'd and poo poo

Don't watch.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 14, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm watching as soon as I get home and there's nothing that will stop me

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went to the aquarium there once, that was cool!

yeah the atlanta aquarium's pretty great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The show should go back to Atlanta so we can have zombie sharks

I mean at this point why the hell not. I guarantee you that "animal zombies" is on the AMC whiteboard

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rick is dying but trash lady poochies him away in a helicopter

where did the verb poochy come from?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

where did the verb poochy come from?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

The show should go back to Atlanta so we can have zombie sharks

I mean at this point why the hell not. I guarantee you that "animal zombies" is on the AMC whiteboard

they've already stolen plenty of other z nation ideas, what's one more

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

motherfucker i KNEW it was something familiar! haha.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol Darryl's tent is pathetic

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm so glad blonde savior is still around

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Lmao I would have yelled So?!? When Michonne brought up the prison tattoo

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Why did all the zombies in the final scene have perfect shiny black hair? wtf

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Unlimited supply of horses but not a bicycle in sight

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol Carol is such a great serial killer

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:allears:
I was going to ask you to livepost your watch...

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus gently caress this show is bad. It's really really bad.

Who thought Judith was a good idea even as a suggestion in a meeting? Like if I was in that meeting I would have been like "uh, no we're not casting a loving 8 year old to play an 8 year old sharpshooter and general badass, you're fired Steve"

Sending Rick off in a helicopter with trash lady? So he's like alive somewhere but they're going to keep him gone for a couple seasons? I know the actor said he's gone for good, but they always say that. He's coming back and it's going to be so loving lame.

6 years pass and those dumb gently caress saviors are still out and about?

gently caress all that though, Judith... just write her out of the show. Don't even come up with an explanation, just don't have her in it anymore. I guarantee you'll get better ratings, AMC.

I will be loving amazed if this show isn't cancelled in the mid season break.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bring back this character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCuR-GUlJzM

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm gonna guess that Michonne's scar is because she got knocked off her horse and onto rebar

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm gonna guess that Michonne's scar is because she got knocked off her horse and onto rebar

the last thing Michonne noticed on the horse was a prison tattoo...

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dolphin posted:

Sending Rick off in a helicopter with trash lady? So he's like alive somewhere but they're going to keep him gone for a couple seasons? I know the actor said he's gone for good, but they always say that. He's coming back and it's going to be so loving lame.
Andrew lincoln all but told the show runners to go gently caress themselves, citing pretty much the major gripes ITT.

He might/will re-appear in spin-off movies, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna bet that there will be an episode where all the adult badasses are off doing something and Judith or Eugene lets Negan out

I would honestly be impressed if they do something surprising for once and have Negan actually change instead of what we all now is coming which is

NEXT WEEK ON AMC'S THE WALKING DEAD:

Negan: Hey there girl. I missed you...
LIGHTNING FLASH ILLUMINATES LUCILLE

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I try to remember it's the same basic cable audience that have watched 16 seasons of NCIS.
Perhaps we're the idiots here for expecting more.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khablam posted:

Andrew lincoln all but told the show runners to go gently caress themselves, citing pretty much the major gripes ITT.

He might/will re-appear in spin-off movies, though.
And if he actually is gone, enigmatically sending him away in a helicopter is the single worst writing decision I've ever witnessed in any medium, ever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dolphin posted:

And if he actually is gone, enigmatically sending him away in a helicopter is the single worst writing decision I've ever witnessed in any medium, ever.

Pretty much every Pirates movie after the first one, in ascending orders of madness?

The movie ending of The Mist?

Midichlorians?

The way the last season of The Walking Dead ended?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Pirates movies aren't pretending to be super cereal dramas tho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Darabont movie? That ending rocks, even King has said he prefers it to the book ending.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I agree the mist ending owned

the whole movie was Campy Good

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Darabont movie? That ending rocks, even King has said he prefers it to the book ending.

King thinks The Shining sucks though

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/gpWruSw.gifv

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
The writers & producers of this show are like home chefs trying to duplicate the work of the chefs they see on TV, but aren't skilled enough to pull it off. They have the ingredients, and the basic tools, but not the skill, so ultimately it ends up a pile of goo.

Imagine if someone like Vince Gilligan, Cary Fukunaga, or Matthew Weiner, etc., were show runners, what a fantastic series we could have had. Gimple & company are definitely third stringers.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
You know, that scene with Michonne and Judith talking about remembering those they've lost and trying not to forget their voices (or however it went, I forgot the exact dialogue) might have held more weight, if the absent father hadn't secretly survived so he could star in three spin-off movies without ever contacting his family. Especially if it turns out he survived for years during the timeskip. For all we know he could still be alive right now, all while people have been mourning him for six years.

I hope all three movies actually do get made so that we can see that last one end with Rick getting ambushed by a teleporting zombie three miles away from Alexandria, one day before this episode begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Pretty much every Pirates movie after the first one, in ascending orders of madness?

Midichlorians?

The way the last season of The Walking Dead ended?

What the gently caress is The Mist doing in there?