Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Their complete refusal to just give the loving A-wing a 3 Attack value is really weird and dumb. They've done literally every other conceivable thing to try and make them viable and they just aren't. If I want a 2 attack dice ship i'll just take a Z-95. I dont need to blow 7 extra points for a slightly faster blocker. How often do they think I need to 5 forward to block someone every game? Were they also completely mystified by the Inquisitor being the only Tie Ad prototype to see play in 1.0 or how the reg Tie Adv needed Targeting Comp to not be trash and even then only Vader sees play? Just give the drat thing 3 attack, bump its shields down to 1 and you can still price the thing higher than the 15 other 3 attack ships the empire gets at 34 points if you want for *reasons*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Personally, I’m happy we’re not seeing die inflation two waves in.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Well I seriously doubt we'll get another 4 attack ship anytime soon so for the time being its 3 or bust. And cheap Zs and Ties aren't seeing play so why would a more expensive version?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I hope the mining guild ties aren’t poo poo.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The spoiled one has a pretty great ability so, maybe? Any word on the street for the release date for wave 2? With all these actual nazis on the rise, really wanna get my Poe on and dumpster some space nazis.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Well I seriously doubt we'll get another 4 attack ship anytime soon so for the time being its 3 or bust. And cheap Zs and Ties aren't seeing play so why would a more expensive version?

2 attack dice are fine, and do enough damage in 2e. 3 is great and 4 is amazing, but 2 gets poo poo done when you can get them for cheap. The number of times I saw a quadjumper wreck some ace with 2 hits on steam is absurd. Just don't expect to take a single 2 die potshot at things and always get damage through.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Gate posted:

2 attack dice are fine, and do enough damage in 2e. 3 is great and 4 is amazing, but 2 gets poo poo done when you can get them for cheap. The number of times I saw a quadjumper wreck some ace with 2 hits on steam is absurd. Just don't expect to take a single 2 die potshot at things and always get damage through.

Quadjumbers are cheaper, have an amazing ship ability, are most likely shooting at something with reduced agility and force your opponent to fly completely differently then howdy they'd like.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Quadjumbers are cheaper, have an amazing ship ability, are most likely shooting at something with reduced agility and force your opponent to fly completely differently then howdy they'd like.

The shots in question were mostly from before they were in range to engage. So while everything you said is true, it's not really relevant. 2 dice is fine. If you focus with 2 attack dice you will deal damage, unless that's the sum total of attacks in your list or you are facing Boba Fett with his rerolls.

See also: Drea and Howlrunner swarms are amazing, and neither list simply stops dealing damage once the reroll machine dies.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I stopped flying scum Fenn Rau because I kept taking random damage from 2-die potshots while jockeying for an approach or a disengage.

Three dice attacks are obviously better, but 2 dice aren't useless at all.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Miniature Market is having a black friday sale, which starts today. There's a second phase which includes Asmodee brands starting on 11/22, where they are able to sell at below minimum advertised price (20% off). So, expect at least 20% off on the following SKUs. Most are 1e, but I've bolded the 2e content (and of course, the models from the 1e stuff is usable too. Historically I've seen Miniature Market get as cheap as 50% off on X-Wing stuff during their sales.

Star Wars: X-Wing - Base & Peg Set (Blue)
Star Wars: X-Wing - Base & Peg Set (Red)
Star Wars: X-Wing - Base & Peg Set (Green)
Star Wars: X-Wing - Base & Peg Set (Purple)
Star Wars: X-Wing - Base & Peg Set (Orange)
Star Wars: X-Wing - Base & Peg Set (Clear)
Star Wars: X-Wing - Battle of Hoth Playmat
Star Wars: X-Wing - X-Wing Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Advanced Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Slave I Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Dice Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Rebel Transport Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - HWK-290 Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Lambda-class Shuttle Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - B-Wing Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Bomber Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Z-95 Headhunter Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - E-Wing Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Phantom Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Imperial Aces Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - YT-2400 Freighter Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - VT-49 Decimator Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - StarViper Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - M3-A Interceptor Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - IG-2000 Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Most Wanted Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Rebel Aces Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Imperial Raider Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Hound's Tooth Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Kihraxz Fighter Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Punisher Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - The Force Awakens
Star Wars: X-Wing - T-70 X-Wing Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE/fo Fighter Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Mist Hunter Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Shadow Caster Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Heroes of the Resistance Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - C-ROC Cruiser Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Upsilon-class Shuttle Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Quadjumper Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - U-wing Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Scurrg H-6 Bomber Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Resistance Bomber Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Silencer Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - M12-L Kimogila Fighter Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Phantom II Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - Saw's Renegades Expansion Pack
Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Reaper Expansion Pack
Star Wars X-Wing (2nd Edition): Core Set
Star Wars X-Wing (2nd Edition): Lando's Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
Star Wars X-Wing (2nd Edition): Dice Pack
Star Wars X-Wing (2nd Edition): Scum & Villainy Conversion Kit
Star Wars X-Wing (2nd Edition): Scum & Villainy Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kit
Star Wars X-Wing (2nd Edition): TIE/ln Fighter Expansion Pack
Star Wars X-Wing (2nd Edition): Slave I Expansion Pack

Star Wars: X-Wing - Starkiller Base Playmat

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

I stopped flying scum Fenn Rau because I kept taking random damage from 2-die potshots while jockeying for an approach or a disengage.

Three dice attacks are obviously better, but 2 dice aren't useless at all.

Fenn and Soontir are just SO drat FRAGILE now. I hated trip aces in 1e and that really hasn't changed. Even range 3 engagements frequently end with him exploding ignominiously.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Fenn and Soontir are just SO drat FRAGILE now. I hated trip aces in 1e and that really hasn't changed. Even range 3 engagements frequently end with him exploding ignominiously.

I have a much better time with Soontir than Fenn, nowadays. The ship ability that lets you link a reposition off ANY action is solid as hell. Lets me dodge a lot more arcs. Plus Soontir's ability itself. If you're stuck in someone's arc might as well Evade + reposition to get that bullseye arc to get a focus. And I use that blue 4-straight at least once in every game.

Fenn can't really do all that. I find I have a really hard time approaching with Fenn Rau. I can't do the thing where I dance around the edges of the fight until its time to dive in safely.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Tie Advanced:
Advanced Targeting Computer: While you perform a primary attack against a defender you have locked, roll 1 additional attack die and change 1 (hit) result to a (crit) result.

So, say you're taking a range 2 shot at somebody you have target locked. Your roll is 'blank, blank, eyeball.' You choose to spend the target lock to reroll all the dice. Do you reroll all three dice, or are you now only rolling two dice, because you no longer have the target locked? I'm fairly sure you get to reroll all three dice, because you've already made the attack.

Also, my understanding is that in the above scenario, because you rolled no hits on the original roll, if you then reroll three hits, you've already missed the point that you'd convert a hit to a crit, right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You reroll all three, and can no longer do the hit to crit.

Or you equip FCS, reroll one, spend your force, change 1 to a crit, and keep the lock for later.

You do have a force right?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
If Fenn could equip Afterburners he'd be viable, as it is now, he's too prone to being picked off by a torp. He's far too expensive compared to Soontir (who could probably go up 3-5 points) for not much extra punch given the lack of action economy.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Kavil with R3 astromech, proton torpedos, Han Solo gunner, trick shot and dorsal turret is as good as Redline. Fight me.

(if you throw in a cheap coordinate (and use genius) you can turn him into a budget trajectory simulator, focus him up, turn arc to rear then 4k and drop a proton followed by 4 dice range 1.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My preferred Kabul is

Trick shot
R4
Veteran turret gunner
Dorsal turret
Seismic charges

Shove him down someone’s throat. Blow up rocks if he lives.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

Kavil with R3 astromech, proton torpedos, Han Solo gunner, trick shot and dorsal turret is as good as Redline. Fight me.

(if you throw in a cheap coordinate (and use genius) you can turn him into a budget trajectory simulator, focus him up, turn arc to rear then 4k and drop a proton followed by 4 dice range 1.)

I'll give you that it's good, but it's 2 points more than AS/Torp Redline and mostly worse than him (other than the turret which is very good), because you can actually catch Kavil. AS Redline is nearly impossible to pin down and murder, like you'd expect with a 1 agility ship.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I like just

Kavil
- Ion Turret
- Seismic Charges

It's just 51 points and you can throw trick shot on there as well if you have a spare point. You only plink through 1 damage with the Ion turret which is fine against aces but if you do manage to Ion people it really makes things a lot easier. Never got great mileage out of Veteran Turret gunner, not enough to justify the 8 points at least.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Not sure if this is legit or not:

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/9x291p/is_wave_2_out_this_week_with_no_notice/

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

A couple of years ago I was a fairly casual X-wing player, mainly playing a couple times a month at the local game store nights and a couple game store tournaments. I then had a kid and decided to pair back gaming to a little netrunner now and then and ended up giving my (not very large) collection of x-wing supplies to a younger kid who played at the local shop.

Fast forward to now where I ran into some of the old x-wing gamers and decided to jump back into it. I bought the core set last night hanging out at the game shop watching a couple games, but wanted to see if there is any advice for a couple good additional purchases to get a new list going. I used to fly Imperial so I thought I might try Rebels this time around (and maybe jump to a new faction once they show up). I'd prefer to stick to only Core 2.0 stuff rather than go back and buy old ships and a conversion kit, and I don't really care about having a Tier-1 list or anything like that, but if anyone has any advice on a decent Rebel list or two that I could put together with a couple expansions I'm all ears (I'm also not opposed to a decent Imperial list or two if that works as well).

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 14, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Voodoofly posted:

A couple of years ago I was a fairly casual X-wing player, mainly playing a couple times a month at the local game store nights and a couple game store tournaments. I then had a kid and decided to pair back gaming to a little netrunner now and then and ended up giving my (not very large) collection of x-wing supplies to a younger kid who played at the local shop.

Fast forward to now where I ran into some of the old x-wing gamers and decided to jump back into it. I bought the core set last night hanging out at the game shop watching a couple games, but wanted to see if there is any advice for a couple good additional purchases to get a new list going. I used to fly Imperial so I thought I might try Rebels this time around (and maybe jump to a new faction once they show up). I'd prefer to stick to only Core 2.0 stuff rather than go back and buy old ships and a conversion kit, and I don't really care about having a Tier-1 list or anything like that, but if anyone has any advice on a decent Rebel list or two that I could put together with a couple expansions I'm all ears (I'm also not opposed to a decent Imperial list or two if that works as well).

Triple X (Luke, Wedge, Thane) or XXY (Luke, Wedge, Dutch), all with proton torps, is solid as hell. It's a bit of a one-trick pony, so it doesn't win big tournaments as people who know how to deal with that trick can outfly it.

X-Wings are also just fun to fly now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Triple X (Luke, Wedge, Thane) or XXY (Luke, Wedge, Dutch), all with proton torps, is solid as hell. It's a bit of a one-trick pony, so it doesn't win big tournaments as people who know how to deal with that trick can outfly it.

X-Wings are also just fun to fly now.

I'm partial to three Red Squad Vets and Wedge. Fly the three RSVs in a pack, and let Wedge flank and range around. Wedge alone can't be ignored, cuz he'll gently caress you up, but the wolfpack will also gently caress you up, so keep them wide apart and make the opponent choose, or split up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

I'm partial to three Red Squad Vets and Wedge. Fly the three RSVs in a pack, and let Wedge flank and range around. Wedge alone can't be ignored, cuz he'll gently caress you up, but the wolfpack will also gently caress you up, so keep them wide apart and make the opponent choose, or split up.

That's also fine, but it's a completely different kind of list.

4-Ship Good Stuff Rebels is probably the most well-rounded archetype for the faction right now. Just fly four good ships of your choice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

That's also fine, but it's a completely different kind of list.

4-Ship Good Stuff Rebels is probably the most well-rounded archetype for the faction right now. Just fly four good ships of your choice.

Andreas Karlssons list that won Nordics is real good. Jan/Sabine/Torp Y Norra and Wedge

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I kinda am sad Thane is often considered the third best x-wing, because he's only thrid because the other two are top tier.

Like, jesus, he does help with the sting of Wes being gone.

I love x-wings are essentially back on the menu.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love x-wings are essentially back on the menu.

:yeah:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Thanks all, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Probably go triple X to start as I'm sure someone will let me borrow a third so I can buy one less expansion to start.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Don't fly rebels, wait a couple of weeks and play Resistance. They're gonna be dope.

Poe is a beast, the bomber is a chunky fortress, the Rey Falcon is actually good (points notwithstanding), T-70s are better X-wings, Poe. And all the colourful ships that look like they're from Crimson Skies from the Resistance series to come.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

But resistance bombers are ugly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Floppychop posted:

They're rad actually

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I think they fit the rebel/resistance aesthetic perfectly.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Is there anything like List Juggler that has lists people have been running? Trying to find new ideas on stuff I haven't tried yet.

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006

Slandible posted:

Is there anything like List Juggler that has lists people have been running? Trying to find new ideas on stuff I haven't tried yet.

http://listfortress.com/

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I think they fit the rebel/resistance aesthetic perfectly.

They're so perfectly Star Wars, right down to the nonsensical use of WW2 aerial combat aesthetics in space.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
WHO WANTS SOME HOMEBREW

Laffo at the point costs on some of these.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

WHO WANTS SOME HOMEBREW

I'll take 7 Y-Ties please. Like why would you make it 4 points cheaper than a y-wing?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want to go back in time and destroy whatever stupid EU poo poo came up with the uglies concept

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

I want to go back in time and destroy whatever stupid EU poo poo came up with the uglies concept

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person here who thinks they belong on the trashheap of really dumb EU ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

WHO WANTS SOME HOMEBREW

3/2/5/2 for TWENTY loving EIGHT POINTS holy balls