Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sydin posted:

I have a reformed religion and I'm African Pope, but I can't GHW because "the age of pagan great holy wars has not begun." Is there a specific date they unlock, or can it be forced in some way?

Pagan GHWs unlock after either Crusades or Jihads unlock. According to the wiki, the earliest they can unlock is January 1, 900. Once that date passes, Crusades will unlock if non-Christians have expanded into core French, German, Byzantine, or Papal territory. Similarly, Jihads will unlock if non-Muslims have expanded into the core territory of major Muslim empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are there any tips/tricks to winning the inheritance game? I always have a ton of kids and marry them off to rulers/heirs but nobody in my dynasty ever winds up inheriting anything. is it just a roll of the dice or are there certain types of marriages I should be angling for

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

indigi posted:

are there any tips/tricks to winning the inheritance game? I always have a ton of kids and marry them off to rulers/heirs but nobody in my dynasty ever winds up inheriting anything. is it just a roll of the dice or are there certain types of marriages I should be angling for

The easiest way is to find pretenders/claimants to titles you want who are not themselves in positions of power, and thus are pliable to a marriage into your dynasty. Then press their claim once they have an heir of your dynasty. Then either wait for them to die or see to it that they have an unfortunate accident, so your dynasty member inherits.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
If all you're doing is marrying them off, then yeah it'll just become a roll of the dice because you're hoping at that point that people die in the order that you need them to in order to inherit. If you're going to try to inherit things you've got to follow up by murdering the right people at the right time.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dongattack posted:

So with the Warrior Lodge or THE WOLF WARRIORS as it's called for vikings, when i filled up the legend bar we went on a LEGENDARY JOURNEY to the Byzantine Empire, but ops everyone died on the way lol including my ruler and it said that the legend bar was disabled. Can it get enabled again and give me the chance to go on another legendary journey or was that a one time thing?

It's once per 100 years, usable as an intrigue decision for a huge amount of Renown by top level characters in the society. Once the decision is taken, the Legend bar starts, and is filled up by great deeds and fulfilling quests. Once the Legend bar fills, all the Heroes go off on a great quest and probably die. From what I can tell, that's how you get a Legendary Bloodline via Warrior Lodge. Not sure if you have to survive the whole thing or not, I wasn't invited since my character who triggered the decision died shortly after and my heir didn't make it up to Hero in time.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Woah, the Children's Crusade happened and they have 230 thousand troops. Of course, they're all light infantry and archers and attrition will probably wipe most of them out pretty quick but still. :stonklol:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Elective Monarchy seems to be bugged, and it's driving me crazy.

I am king of Italy. My firstborn is Duke of Apulia (independent), and my other son is duke of Ferrara (my vassal). Neither is available to be nominated as heir. It's Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, I can only nominate my cousin (also a duke under me), all other dukes (except my son above) and 2 unlanded cousin women.

Think I figured it out. My first born is duke of Apulia under the papacy. My second born is my vassal and heir to Apulia. The HRE (my liege) myself and the papacy are under high authority. Which means that Apulia couldn't get out of Papacy and under Italy and HRE due to inheritance. And as both my sons are owner and first in line to inherit Apulia, they are disqualified.

Did I get this right? Also, how do I solve it? I guess I need to press the claim on Apulia for my second son in order to bring Apulia under me?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Probably posted a few pages back but I haven’t seen it. Has anyone noticed some crashing? I set a rule for AI to get ridiculous events and decisions (there’s two new rules for this) and I had my game get stuck at the sh if maybe the second year before the crashing started. Reloading the game would always crash after a couple of months.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well I thought I’d hop on to test out a few things and now I’m the immortal hedgehog empress of Mali, locked in an endless war with miaphysite dragon Abyssinia and constantly raiding the Sunni dogs (literally) for sacrifices to fuel my armies.

Expansion better than could have imagined 11/10

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Well, I let a random map game run for 100 years to generate proper history, hit random and it's a tough start. I'm a count in a pretty strong Kingdom in eastern Spain. I took over my neighbour within 2 years, no sweat. Now my back is to the Pyrenees and I only have borders with the King and my Liege's demenses, both are very strong.

I guess now is the time to build my demense up, marry off relatives, join some societies and wait for something bad to happen to my bosses? I've tried starting a faction to empower the council but no joy so far. 185 hours and I've never played a vassal.

e: Also it shows how far the game has come that I'm loving my save even without any obvious roads to expand at the moment. Waiting for claims to fire got real old before Way of Life etc.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 15, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Why honey, he... has your eyes...!

Funky Valentine posted:

The amount of references the animal name lists have is awesome.

The dragons have "Rathalos" and "Rathian".

One of the cat names is "Talking".

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1559282479

CK2 shitheads still being classy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like heir candidates in merchant republics can contribute their own campaign funds now. Sweet! No more having to scavenge 1000 gold to try and get a guy with 3000 gold elected. He can just pay his own way.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dongattack posted:

So with the Warrior Lodge or THE WOLF WARRIORS as it's called for vikings, when i filled up the legend bar we went on a LEGENDARY JOURNEY to the Byzantine Empire, but ops everyone died on the way lol including my ruler and it said that the legend bar was disabled. Can it get enabled again and give me the chance to go on another legendary journey or was that a one time thing?

It'll be available again in 100 years.

Kaza42 posted:

It's once per 100 years, usable as an intrigue decision for a huge amount of Renown by top level characters in the society. Once the decision is taken, the Legend bar starts, and is filled up by great deeds and fulfilling quests. Once the Legend bar fills, all the Heroes go off on a great quest and probably die. From what I can tell, that's how you get a Legendary Bloodline via Warrior Lodge. Not sure if you have to survive the whole thing or not, I wasn't invited since my character who triggered the decision died shortly after and my heir didn't make it up to Hero in time.

At the end of it 2 people got different bloodlines, but not everyone who went got a bloodline. I got one for being the "greatest soldier" and another guy got one for being the "greatest strategist", and they gave different effects. I assume I got greatest soldier because I killed a giant and a bear in single combat, and he got strategist because he did something smart while the rest of us were cracking heads. There was at least one guy who definitely went on the journey but didn't get a bloodline out of it.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 15, 2018

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there any in depth guide into how bloodlines work, and what triggers their creation?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I never play nomads and never play in north Asia. I have Jade Dragon. Is there any real benefit at all to getting Horse Lords, since I have Jade Dragon and that also includes silk road mechanics?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Also, is shattered world basically cheating/easy mode in single player? It seems like the player would be at an enormous advantage over the AI, to the point that it would be trivially easy?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Diogines posted:

Also, is shattered world basically cheating/easy mode in single player? It seems like the player would be at an enormous advantage over the AI, to the point that it would be trivially easy?

Haven't seen too much of it myself but I feel like Shattered World will be challenging if you play Catholic or someone else who doesn't have good CBs, since pagans/tribals/nomads will be able to expand very quickly.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Diogines posted:

The mode has one sort of balancing feature in that it creates a set number of "great conquerors," from 4-12, that you can set. These individuals are talented, more aggressive, have a special bloodline, and are generally meant to blob up a bit so its not a permanent world of OPM's and Dukes.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I had a fabulous daughter just now.

So she's poo poo as a child. Craven, shy, diligent, weak, almost no martial skill, negative dueling skill. But the warrior lodge said to recruit her anyway, so I did.

And you know what? She stuck with it. She didn't back down. She got her name, The Word-Slayer, from owning the poo poo out of a guy in flyting. The guy then challenged her to a duel and she killed him in her first of MANY successful duels. She worked her way the gently caress up through the ranks, losing an eye and gaining a bajillion scars and black eyes in the process. She was also the best marshal I ever had and a master duelist. We hunted down the monster wolf together, father and daughter. It's too bad I had heirs before her and no meritocracy, because she would have been a bitchin heir.

This is a good DLC.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cock hero flux posted:

Haven't seen too much of it myself but I feel like Shattered World will be challenging if you play Catholic or someone else who doesn't have good CBs, since pagans/tribals/nomads will be able to expand very quickly.

Depends on the tribal. The African tribals don't seem to have that "can claim border counties without a reason" cb, so I pretty much have the once a lifetime subjugation, the border dispute which has a massive opinion malus, and force vassalization which costs massive amounts of prestige

e: nevermind, now that I border a muslim the claim cb showed up

Azhais fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 15, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

My Court Physician is a Hedgehog named Groogy, Goty all years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
getting some big glitching with the high priest after reformation. every person i give any title or land to becomes a theocracy.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Cool thing I didn’t know: if you form the kingdom of Lithuania as a Prussian it turns it into the kingdom of Prussia.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For the Legendary Raid etc. Does the inverse happen if you are Emperor of Byzantium, because it would be kinda cool event to have from the flip perspective.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ok so I’m reforming Romuva. Probably gonna go proselytizing, defenders of dievas, and hierocratic. If I go sea bound, will I still be able to raid?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Diogines posted:

I never play nomads and never play in north Asia. I have Jade Dragon. Is there any real benefit at all to getting Horse Lords, since I have Jade Dragon and that also includes silk road mechanics?

If you don't plan to play any nomads (or play against any nomads, having them clean out the tribal holdings of the step periodically) I think the only features you're missing out on are adventurers and tributaries and some stuff about mercenaries I don't really understand.

I wonder if silk road on but nomads off will lead to some bizarrely rich states in the middle of the steppe.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Holy poo poo Crusades. I backed a Crusade to Jerusalem, we managed to win and so my beneficiary is the Queen of Jerusalem now. Great.

I also got *8000* gold.

It's obviously very different not getting the big stack of provinces like you used to but they're definitely still attractive. Plus the new events seem pretty fun.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone seen the new holy order stuff yet? Interested to hear about that.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 15, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

evenworse username posted:

Holy poo poo Crusades. I backed a Crusade to Jerusalem, we managed to win and so my beneficiary is the Queen of Jerusalem now. Great.

I also got *8000* gold.

It's obviously very different not getting the big stack of provinces like you used to but they're definitely still attractive. Plus the new events seem pretty fun.

Crusade changes are excellent. I like that runners up in contribution still get rewarded. My beneficiary got the duchy of Oultrejourdain while I got 4k gold and some nice artifacts. It makes a much nicer dynamic than just getting a pile of land and then a little later vassalizing the Templars and Hospitallers.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The african trade route is really cool. It's not the same generic holdings as silk road trade posts. In the far southwest, there's two counties who's trade post buildings are gold fields, which you can build as long as you don't have the county modifier "depleted gold field." As you head further north, you get into salt mining territory. There's two counties with those available. On the northern coast and further east, you don't get any of these developmental type buildings, but instead you get a bigger focus on saharan trade posts, although timbuktu also has a cloth market. It adds a lot of flavor. You can actually see where the goods are coming from, and where they are being sold. Another cool aspect of them is that they rely on different techs to be upgraded. In the silk road, you basically just have the silk road market or w/e that can be upgraded to a level corresponding to that counties trade practices level. But in Africa, the salt mines are tied to construction tech, the gold fields don't seem tied to anything (at least at level 1), and the Saharan trade posts of course rely on trade practices like all trade posts. It's pretty sweet. Right now I've got all the trade posts in the interior of Africa in my hands, and I'm personally holding every one of those counties for a while, despite the negative modifier for having tribal holdings. Their tech will develop much quicker that way. Eventually, those counties will be rich and well developed, which will boost the value of the trans-saharan trade route. That will provide bigger income bonuses to every city, temple, barony, etc etc in the route, which will allow Africa to have more available to invest in itself, and hopefully get itself on par with Europe, or surpass it.

Unfortunately, building this network up from the ground up is gonna be a nightmare for feudal characters. The best bet would probably be to conquer all of the interior, then adopt feudalism or republican government when the most amount of counties will be able to make the swap with you. Otherwise I could see Africa still lagging way behind the rest of the world when it comes to tech and cash, despite the trade route potential that is there, simply because the poo poo never gets utilized.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 15, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So I was just flipping through the Artifacts page and discovered there are two items that give the highest possible personal combat skill, +25. One is a handgun. The other is a prosthetic leg. That means in CK2, a one-legged man has a major advantage in an rear end-kicking contest.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Piell posted:

So I was just flipping through the Artifacts page and discovered there are two items that give the highest possible personal combat skill, +25. One is a handgun. The other is a prosthetic leg. That means in CK2, a one-legged man has a major advantage in an rear end-kicking contest.

The prosthetic leg is meant to make up for a negative combat skill from losing the leg, though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Gobblecoque posted:

Crusade changes are excellent. I like that runners up in contribution still get rewarded. My beneficiary got the duchy of Oultrejourdain while I got 4k gold and some nice artifacts. It makes a much nicer dynamic than just getting a pile of land and then a little later vassalizing the Templars and Hospitallers.

Yeah that's a nice touch. There's definitely now a good reason to participate beyond 'get Crusader trait' even if you don't expect to be the lead contributor, whereas before if you weren't going to get the land at the end it was really only worth a minimal involvement.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
A couple duel events even recognize that you're using a handgun. I got one that mentioned "firing my last bullet" into the guy's forehead.

Also, anyone else find that their queens didn't get coronations?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Decided to stick out a Kanem game that went sour for a bit. After several instances of male Mais getting done in by either excessive dueling, sudden illness, or Chess with Death, I eventually got a woman - Amina - who took the approach of "stay at home, focus on my family, and keep my vassals happy at any cost."

This actually worked out really well; while I was forced to pay tribute to the Aghlabids early into her reign, this kind of worked out in my favor as they helped with a couple of wars and refrained from starting any real trouble. On the other hand, the elders of Hausaland were complete assholes from the jump, constantly threatening to fracture the realm on succession if I didn't dole out the gold.

So eventually, after going into debt a couple times to fund wars of conquest, feasts, and a shiny new temple, I manage to scrounge up enough moral authority to reform the religion... despite my co-religionists' incompetence dragging it down. At this point I decide to go into full-on RP territory, so after declaring herself Empress, Amina decides "gently caress kings and gently caress the Elders." Enatic Clans take over, succession switches over to the (relatively) stable and predictable Open method the Sultan and his weird friends use, and all is well.

A+ 10/10 DLC, would recommend

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't like all this animal admixing in my CK2 talk. Medieval intrigue is supposed to be a pure, human endeavor of our disgusting nature. This is not your furry slashfic people!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't like all this animal admixing in my CK2 talk. Medieval intrigue is supposed to be a pure, human endeavor of our disgusting nature. This is not your furry slashfic people!

On an unrelated note can someone point me to the furry slashfic thread because I got some spicy Undertale headcanons to post

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Now that I've tried out a regular old Catholic with the new expansion, I'm going for a Byzantine run. Are cataphract retinue worth anything or would it be better stick to the reliable defense ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Asproigerosis posted:

yea but the animals mean you can say the cats went on a hellmarch to genocide the dogs in the name of their dark malevolent gods

with humans tho that's kinda phew