Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Wait, so it's like if the Italian line had a 3-shot autoloader with 8/10/12 seconds of reload on each shot, but instead of reloading at 8 seconds when you have 2 in the tank, it reloads at 12s, and when it's empty it's just a regular tank with an 8s reload?

Except it's got 1170 clip damage with 3s per shot. That's clearly not even close to a balanceable mechanic. You get to instantly kill all tier 6s and most tier 7s, and you get to instantly kill any half-health tanks outside some tier 10 heavies. Of course, they're not even trying to balance it given that it's literally just an IS-3 if it'd out of shots, and then it gets to stack two shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Bet it has better armor than the IS-3 as well. Wouldn't give very long odds against it having better everything than the IS-3. Except for maybe one largely inconsequential thing like 5m less view range so they can go "see? is balans komrade"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It literally trades half a second of reload time and 'slightly worse turret traverse and dispersion' for 1100 clip damage if people leave you alone for 45 seconds. You can yolo an IS-3 and kill it in under 20 seconds with average rolls.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Armor is exactly the same as the IS-3 but the IS-3A has 50 more hp. The only real negative to the IS-3A is .43 accuracy vs .38 for the IS-3. In a brawling situation it's not relevant. Completely powercreeps the IS-3.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That's pretty bad accuracy but if that's the only downside lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

it could have .6 accuracy and the mechanic still isn't balanceable.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

If you're brawling and have less than 1100 hp, I'm coming around the corner and killing you and there's nothing you can do.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

saintonan posted:

If you're brawling and have less than 1100 hp, I'm coming around the corner and killing you and there's nothing you can do.

Hi I'm a Caernarvon I do 280 alpha pew pew here take 600 damage while you delete me.

It also has HEAT not APCR as its premium round so lmao sorry just sorry German tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tier 8 tournaments are already a clusterfuck of OP premiums, but lol what the gently caress do you do to beat X IS-3As and a scout?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

Tier 8 tournaments are already a clusterfuck of OP premiums, but lol what the gently caress do you do to beat X IS-3As and a scout?

An M41 GF scout too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

An M41 GF scout too.

Well that's the only viable tier 8 scout so...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'd like to think theres absolutely no loving way they put that thing in the game as it is but given the blowup about it already everyone will buy one so....

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I'd like to think theres absolutely no loving way they put that thing in the game as it is but given the blowup about it already everyone will buy one so....

Did you play when they put the Waffentrager E100 into the game? Every single person who was good who played in the test server said, "oh well this is just insanely overpowered, it can clip out a Maus, they'll shelve this tank for now." and everyone who was poo poo at the game, which is the vast majority of the playerbase, said, "lol even a tier 1 can pen it, what a weak piece of poo poo." It was released with buffs.

someone post "CamadorOwnsEnemyMausOnHimmelsdorf.gif"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hellsau posted:

Tier 8 Clan war poo poo has been Progettos, patriots, IS-3s, a scout and a t32 with binocs and stuff like that, so now you could probably replace all of the patriots with IS-3s except for maps that call for Ridgeline fighting.

Though I guess you'd always keep the progettos for mobility

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

Did you play when they put the Waffentrager E100 into the game? Every single person who was good who played in the test server said, "oh well this is just insanely overpowered, it can clip out a Maus, they'll shelve this tank for now." and everyone who was poo poo at the game, which is the vast majority of the playerbase, said, "lol even a tier 1 can pen it, what a weak piece of poo poo." It was released with buffs.

No I completely missed the Waff E100. It came into the game after I'd stopped playing and was dead for nearly a year before I came back.

I have been wrong about tanks before, for instance I thought the replacement French TD would be the next murder bus what the gently caress are they thinking and it was just not that, but this is very silly. I don't think its Waffle levels of silly but it will fundamentally break the game for a good 2 months after its out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A huge portion of the playerbase thought the WT100 was a bad tank.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

Well that's the only viable tier 8 scout so...

LT-432, blyat

e: seriously just look at this poo poo https://tanks.gg/tank/lt-432/model

Barry fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 14, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Barry posted:

LT-432, blyat

e: seriously just look at this poo poo https://tanks.gg/tank/lt-432/model

drat that is a sexy tank! Unfortunately it has 380m view range to the M41 90's 400m and also has a tremendously worse gun.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah it's probably not nearly as good as a pure scout (not that the GF is that great either, with pretty bad camo and sluggish acceleration) but it is overall a better tank.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hellsau posted:

found it:

It was an E100 that Camador owned but he had a shell left so he could have theoretically finished a Maus in that situation.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Thanks for the advice on T7 TDs.

Khablam posted:

Don't buy a premium T6+ anything if it's like your first week playing.

I was wanting to get my hands on a T7 premium so I can switch back and forth from my T6 and T7 to grind XP and credits. I honestly do not have any plans to start settling in anything higher at that point without games under my belt.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Do *not* buy the loving Scorpion. WG literally gives the thing away periodically because no one buys it due to its being terrible.

T7 premium TD = wait for them to do another E-25 sale, or if he's impatient, the SU-122-44. The Soviet TDs are pretty broken as well if he likes that gameplay.

Awesome, I might go ahead and skip out on the scorpion and go ahead and wait for that black friday sale I keep hearing about. Might pick up the SU-122-44 then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Katamari Democracy posted:

Awesome, I might go ahead and skip out on the scorpion and go ahead and wait for that black friday sale I keep hearing about. Might pick up the SU-122-44 then.

A note on the -122-44 - it's not really a TD, even though it's classified as one. You can't reliably snipe with the D-25 variant they've got on it, so it's really more of an 'assault gun.' Your job is to stay on the cusp of a flank and be the guy who gets the 'bonus shot' on some prick who's on tilt after getting clipped by a Progetto, or the tank that rolls in with the heavies and is capable of dishing out 3000dpm.

Another T7 premium TD to avoid like the plague is the Krupp-Steyr WT.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 14, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hellsau posted:

found it:

It was an E100 that Camador owned but he had a shell left so he could have theoretically finished a Maus in that situation.

Wargaming made so much money from people Free XPing to that loving thing.
They'll do it again fro this IS-3A. :homebrew:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A note on the -122-44 - it's not really a TD, even though it's classified as one. You can't reliably snipe with the D-25 variant they've got on it, so it's really more of an 'assault gun.' Your job is to stay on the cusp of a flank and be the guy who gets the 'bonus shot' on some prick who's on tilt after getting clipped by a Progetto, or the tank that rolls in with the heavies and is capable of dishing out 3000dpm.

Another T7 premium TD to avoid like the plague is the Krupp-Steyr WT.

Also...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The SU-122-44 is one of the few tanks that would actively get me hate messages after a game. The other is the E-25.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Have a replay where I hold a flank all by myself.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Wait, so it's like if the Italian line had a 3-shot autoloader with 8/10/12 seconds of reload on each shot, but instead of reloading at 8 seconds when you have 2 in the tank, it reloads at 12s, and when it's empty it's just a regular tank with an 8s reload?

Except it's got 1170 clip damage with 3s per shot. That's clearly not even close to a balanceable mechanic. You get to instantly kill all tier 6s and most tier 7s, and you get to instantly kill any half-health tanks outside some tier 10 heavies. Of course, they're not even trying to balance it given that it's literally just an IS-3 if it'd out of shots, and then it gets to stack two shots.

Originally I thought they were just testing a new mechanic, and it happened to be on the IS-3A because why not, it's a forgotten tank anyway. Then I realized that they were actively trying to find a gimmick specifically for that tank, because it's supposed to be an autoloader but isn't. To be honest, I don't blame them there. The options are basically: traditional autoloader (French/Swedish style,) Italian-style autoreloader, or this new reverse autoreloader. I could see them not wanting to use the other nationalities' mechanics. The proposed Soviet-style one is, however, just a better single-shot system (with that bonus initial burst.) They can't really balance it by making the single-shot reloads worse because that turns it into the Italian system. The bottom line is that they really should do something for this tank, because as it stands it's an "autoloader" without an autoloader (and a missing crew member because why make it easier to train your crews?)

What they should probably do is have some kind of intermediate system, where there's a "ready-rack" (although that's a different concept, just bear with me,) of a few shells that reload faster than average, and then each of those shells takes longer than average to reload. So say the regular IS3 reloads in 12 seconds; the IS3A would have 3, 4, 5, whatever, shells that have a 10-second reload between shells, but then each of those racked shells takes 14 seconds to reload because they have to be transferred manually from storage throughout the tank. Obviously tweak the numbers as appropriate, but you end up with a tank that has a meaningful new mechanic and a downside (with nerfs to other stats like accuracy or aim time as appropriate, perhaps to reflect one fewer crew member,) and although it's closer to the Italian autoreloader style (and my preferred way for autoloaders in general to work,) it's still a little different enough to make it unique.

serious gaylord posted:

As above, I think they're going to do something with the IS3A to make it a meaningful tank, and that's a step in the right direction.

Hellsau posted:

A huge portion of the playerbase thought the WT100 was a is bad tank.

FTFY

Thanks for the advice on T7 TDs.

I was wanting to get my hands on a T7 premium so I can switch back and forth from my T6 and T7 to grind XP and credits. I honestly do not have any plans to start settling in anything higher at that point without games under my belt.

That kind of thing is what I wanted you to hear/read before making a purchase (oh, also, while I remember it, whatever you do, wait for a sale before buying tanks, there's no reason to pay full price.) There are other premium tank options (and you shouldn't be set on buying a tier 7 specifically.) While you can certainly buy any premium tank just for the credits and free xp (which requires gold to convert, keep in mind,) crew training is an important bonus and is not something you should disregard, especially long-term. A cheap tier 8 may be a better option, but you should not buy a premium tank of a tier higher than you've ground in the tech tree, because you won't be ready for the higher-tier tanks that you'll face. If anything, if you want to grind credits specifically a premium account and 2-3 of the tier 5 premium tanks rotated back and forth will probably be a cheaper, easier alternative.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

the WT100 is dead and will never come back, no matter what the console and/or blitz players say

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

the WT100 is dead and will never come back, no matter what the console and/or blitz players say

That was a general statement about the playerbase.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I like the Swedish tier 6 medium prem myself. It makes a poo poo load of credits and is super cheap to repair.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

That was a general statement about the playerbase.

Yeah but I can't say any soothing words, consoling the young goons of the thread as if the horrible playerbase isn't out to deliberately sabotage their games.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

serious gaylord posted:

I like the Swedish tier 6 medium prem myself. It makes a poo poo load of credits and is super cheap to repair.

yeah this is a good tank, also the tech tree tier 6 owns with it's crazy gun depression. New Guy should buy one, why play stupid TD's anyway? Go forth and get shot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I wouldn't suggest a brand-new player jump to a tier 6 autoloader. He's still working on his Hellcat gameplay, i.e., not driving out and getting nuked as soon as he's spotted.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Being able to clip an enemy tank is just a stupid game mechanic. It's part of the reason 7/5/3 is so loving stupid. Those goddamn T10 autoloaders can delete an enemy tank while taking a single hit.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Burst damage isn't fun for the receiver, but it's really good for Wargaming's wallet.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Atomizer posted:

I wouldn't suggest a brand-new player jump to a tier 6 autoloader. He's still working on his Hellcat gameplay, i.e., not driving out and getting nuked as soon as he's spotted.

pish posh don't mollycoddle the boy, if he wants to play TD's he should totally buy a Skorpion G since it's not like he'll be worse than the average clown that drives one.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I don't think there's a bigger performance difference in any tank between good and bad players than the Skorp. In good hands, it's an unstoppable carry machine. In bad hands, it's an xp pinata.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I finally have 5000 bonds. Whoopee.

I will probably never use them as long as you have to pay additional bonds to remove improved equipment.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Fat Jesus posted:

pish posh don't mollycoddle the boy, if he wants to play TD's he should totally buy a Skorpion G since it's not like he'll be worse than the average clown that drives one.

Conveniently, the Skorp G is for sale. Get out there and be the shitter you know you want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

To be fair I have gotten better. Trying to grasp the whole "Figure out where to go next before you get to your destination."

Arty on the other hand I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say gently caress that poo poo. Most of the time I have zero clue where they come from before I'm looking back at the garage