Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

In Training posted:

My GOTY is probably Hitman 2 and ive only played t for 80 minutes

I'm trying to cut down on expenses so I'm holding off on Hitman 2 for the moment but I am very jealous of those who are currently enjoying murder-sim 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

chumbler posted:

I tried melatonin once and it worked, but it left me feeling basically hung over the next morning so I haven't tried it again.

A much better alternative if you really just can't take a plain old sleeping pill is valerian root. 2 or 3 capsules of that will get you sleepy without screwing with your hormonal balance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Drink More Water

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chop off your feet!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes That Too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Remember to take a 15 minute break every hour of gaming!

Does literally anyone do that

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jump in a lake!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Remember to take a 15 minute break every hour of gaming!

Does literally anyone do that

I take a lot of breaks for drinkin, pissin, whatever but its not every hour

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe VR people do it to stop their eyes melting or w/e

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

glue your hand to a doorknob!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I stop every hour or so to load a bowl but that rarely takes 15 full minutes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe VR people do it to stop their eyes melting or w/e

Has anyone made a Virtual Boy emulator for VR yet

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

$10 says next gen Nintendo will release the Virtual Boy Mk II: More Than One Color And Genuine 3D Edition

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah but it doesn't make the virtual boy any better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my goty is rule of rose

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

yeah but it doesn't make the virtual boy any better

can it manage to make vb wario land gooder

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's an incredibly good nes emulator for VR, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRajsyLaEI

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
you know what knocks me right the gently caress out if I'm having trouble sleeping? a couple puffs off this grand daddy purple pre roll i bought

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Weed has never made me sleepy unless I drink a beer or two with it. Otherwise it actually makes me more alert, even indica

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Weed just knocked me out so hard it didn't feel restful, and after too much over the last few years all it does it give me horrifying anxiety and pain and zero high, so that's out of my life for a few years, pure CBD is the only thing that really helps in that regard now

I just cut out coffee and try to mitigate other factors

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Now that it’s all Backwards compatible, I’m thinking about the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. I like,e the idea of a costume change based combat system and I don’t particularly like the idea of running down a corridor. Can I just skip to Lightning Returns?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

Now that it’s all Backwards compatible, I’m thinking about the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. I like,e the idea of a costume change based combat system and I don’t particularly like the idea of running down a corridor. Can I just skip to Lightning Returns?

Yes, but 13-1 is good if only for Sazh. 13-2 you can skip or maybe just watch the cutscenes. Caius' scenery chewing and time cop Snow are good but the rest is unremarkable.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Just skip back to X-2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

doingitwrong posted:

if you watch this video you'll know everything you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFmP4fVBqA

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

if you watch this video you'll know everything you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFmP4fVBqA

I had forgotten about this, and the scene it contains that is the greatest thing in all of FF. Thank you.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Black August posted:

Yeah. I'm not cool with that and turned off as many options as I could. But right now, getting healthy sleep so I don't die when I'm 40 is more important for the short term use.

dying when I’m 40 sounds loving great to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trying to like the missing but the controls and animations make it feel lovely and while the theme is interesting (what if the limbo kid was supposed to get turned into gibs constantly) i know swery is gonna blue balls me and the end won't pay off.

i think im almost done so i'll stick it out i guess. im at a diner level

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The OoT randomizer seed I've been using has been great all game, until just recently. For a while the gameplay loop was me trying to think of what I can do with the items I have, and then exploring the world trying to eke every item I could out of it, 90% of which are junk like rupees or pieces of heart, but then getting that one item that keeps me going

But it turns out the reason why most of the world was so sparse is because every loving item was in gerudo valley. Between the horse archery minigame and the gerudo trials, I got the longshot, bottle with ruto's letter, iron boots, hover boots, and nocturne of shadow. Instead of worrying about how I'm going to find anything I can now basically play the game vanilla, since the only items I need to beat the game that I don't have are the mirror shield and light arrows. I guess the game has to hit the point where you're playing vanilla eventually but I with the items were a bit more scattered so I could have unlocked them one at a time.

Of course the only reason I was even having to eke out every last item is because I forgot about an easily-reachable chest in goron city, which had the bow, which let me get epona's song in the forest temple, which let me go to gerudo valley. But still! Once I polish this run off I'll probably start a second one with some more wild randomization options which should keep things feeling fresh (by default, small keys are only randomized within their own dungeon but there's an option to let them be anywhere).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im already pretty much dead

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is that madjinn or something

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Don't know how you all be picking a GOTY yet when we still got over 6 weeks of gaming action to go

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I really need to re-up my Giant Bomb sub.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smash is probably the only other new game I'll try this year and it's not gonna crack my top 5 most likely

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Local arcade is getting an entire lounge room devoted to Smash so I'm just gonna drop money to play that on lunch breaks to start

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only game coming out the rest of this year that I plan to get is a port so I feel fairly confident naming my goty for games that debuted this year

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well, I've finished Darksiders 2 and boy that sure ended abruptly.The last dungeon is about 3 rooms long and then 2 boss fights that are challenging more due to the combat system's flaws and their damage than any mechanical puzzle aspect, then a 2 minute long cutscene. I don't mind it not getting a bit too long in the tooth, but I guess this is a pretty good example of what happens when your studio dies mid game.

On the whole I don't think it's a bad game, just unfocused and the previously mentioned combat system problems. The dungeons themselves are pretty well paced internally and I'm okay with them not being particularly obtuse. Death and the other characters are also fairly fun. Pretty much everybody telling him he ain't poo poo and he's not as hard as he wants people to think was a good choice. Don't think I'll be revisiting the game to finish side quests unless the extra dungeons in DEATHINITIVE edition are particularly good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 15, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

Don't know how you all be picking a GOTY yet when we still got over 6 weeks of gaming action to go

There's not really anything else coming out this year I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

this poo poo was fuckin weird

• Locked thread