Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well you're pretty much over the hump so keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

radlum posted:

Regarding Injustice, which are the best parts if it? I only read the first volume (Gods Among Us) and didnt enjoy it, but from what I read online, it seems it got really good. Can I just read the good parts or should I read it all?

All would be ideal but once Taylor left midways Year 3 the series went downhill and never really recovered.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there any good fourth world/new gods stuff happening other than Mister Miracle right now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there any good fourth world/new gods stuff happening other than Mister Miracle right now?

A Female Furies comic by the Shade The Changing Girl writer was just announced.
Darkseid is on the Justice League Odyssey team.
Bug! was recent and good, but it was more that character touring other lesser known Kirby properties.

edit: Not New Gods, but today's Electric Warriors is based in the future of Jack Kirby's Great Disaster/Kamandi world (or something? Haven't got to it yet.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 14, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They announced a Female Furies spin-off recently, but otherwise not really.

Also, am I crazy or did they not always call them the Female Furies?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Roth posted:

Is it gonna star Barda?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it gonna star Barda?

She's right there on the cover.
https://twitter.com/NerdGerhl/status/1062049458815451141
"The series is set before the most famous of the Furies, Big Barda, escaped Apokolips."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 14, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

You crazy. They've always been the Female Furies.

Edit: At least since the 80's anyways.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 14, 2018

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

All would be ideal but once Taylor left midways Year 3 the series went downhill and never really recovered.

I'd say finish out Year Three, then read the Year Four Annual for a fantastic Plastic Man story, then hop over to and complete Injustice 2.

Injustice Years 4 and 5 are the dumb punch'ems everyone thought the comic would be. "Wonder Woman broke Superman's arm, holy poo poo!!" Taylor at least swung for the fences and wound up creating a DC continuity more compelling than their mainline universe or attempts to fix it (I still love you, Detective Comics Rebirth).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dang i thought taylor did the whole thing

at least now i know for when i start my readthrough

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Kirby called them the female furies.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
G. Willow Wilson's WW was a pretty interesting start. We're living in a brave new world right now where current WW writers will -- shock and gasps -- actually follow up on events and status quos established by previous WW writers, which is kind of a monumental achievement all on its own. Unresolved things from prior runs will...get mentioned? Even get resolved? What a concept. Now the next step is to get writers outside of WW books to acknowledge these things as well!

Oh and the art is.......fi....ne....?......
Eh, it will have to grow on me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Re: the MM ending:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

G. Willow Wilson's WW was a pretty interesting start. We're living in a brave new world right now where current WW writers will -- shock and gasps -- actually follow up on events and status quos established by previous WW writers, which is kind of a monumental achievement all on its own. Unresolved things from prior runs will...get mentioned? Even get resolved? What a concept. Now the next step is to get writers outside of WW books to acknowledge these things as well!

Oh and the art is.......fi....ne....?......
Eh, it will have to grow on me.

Do we really need to keep furthering the Darkseid War Grail stuff? It half makes me think she got orders on what to write.
Most of us sane people just dropped Robinson's run rather than hate-reading it ;)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 15, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...But it's not furthering the Darkseid War Grail stuff. Grail appears, in a few pages, because she with Ares in his prison the last we heard of them, but the story is actually about furthering the Ares plotline which is really the single biggest unresolved plotline since Rebirth began. (Which is saying a lot, because boy are there lots of other unresolved plotlines)

Wilson probably could've found a way to omit Grail entirely from the Ares prison scene but why would she? Then we're right back at every single WW writer ignoring what every single other WW writer has done. Instead, Wilson took the chance to show that she's actually been paying attention to what other writers had been doing, which is a good thing! I mean...it's bad for her 'cuz it means she's had to read the Robinson anal breaches just like I did, but it's a good thing overall. In the grand scheme.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Re: the MM ending:

That, but I’m crying, because father-son poo poo just destroys me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

hup posted:

That, but I’m crying, because father-son poo poo just destroys me.

See it's not for me, because... well... this is the Black Mercy basically. It's not real. Scott turned hell into heaven, but it's still... never going to be real. And it's unhealthy to live in delusions alone because it's more enticing than life. I see no difference between this and a drug addict choosing to isolate themselves from the world and OD. Scott knows nothing around him is reality, he knows that the real Barda isn't there with him. But he's content to live in fantasy rather than reality and frankly? gently caress that.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Onmi posted:

See it's not for me, because... well... this is the Black Mercy basically. It's not real. Scott turned hell into heaven, but it's still... never going to be real. And it's unhealthy to live in delusions alone because it's more enticing than life. I see no difference between this and a drug addict choosing to isolate themselves from the world and OD. Scott knows nothing around him is reality, he knows that the real Barda isn't there with him. But he's content to live in fantasy rather than reality and frankly? gently caress that.

I think this is a misreading. The DC universe world he was shown and rejected is as real as the one he chose.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Kirby called them the female furies.

Furies are all female though, I think is the problem.

quote:

THE ERINYES (Furies) were three goddesses of vengeance and retribution who punished men for crimes against the natural order. They were particularly concerned with homicide, unfilial conduct, offenses against the gods, and perjury.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why is it a problem? It's derived from mythology.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Why is it a problem? It's derived from mythology.

You misread the post. It's saying Female Furies is a redundant title since the mythological Furies they're derived from are already female.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

You misread the post. It's saying Female Furies is a redundant title since the mythological Furies they're derived from are already female.

They're a male-hating women only club so it's fine.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Has the DC Nuclear Winter Special dropped yet? If it has, can anyone say if it's worth picking up?

Also, I finally got around to reading the other two Hannah Barbara crossovers. Magilla Gorilla/Nightwing is a surprisingly fun read! Top Cat/Superman is kind of eh, but it at least doesn't wear out it's novelty like Yogi Bear/Deathstroke did. I still have no idea who the Secret Squirrel four part story is for.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Danger posted:

I think this is a misreading. The DC universe world he was shown and rejected is as real as the one he chose.

I read it more like a variation of the whole "if it feels real to you it's reality" trope sci fi loves to use. I think the ghosts at the end were just him still being unsure of what was real or not. Even the reading of baby Jacob as being the Lump could've been PTSD from his experiences during the war and his life on Apokolips since this takes place after all the Kirby stories. But since he's going to be showing up in the DCU proper along with Barda I'm pretty sure they're going to use this to put them back to his JLI status quo for whenever they're ready. Jacob possibly being the Lump will probably never be referenced again.

That said, being in the middle of a divorce and trying to sort out my new life as a single dad I wholly sympathize with Scott's decision to continue living in the illusion of suburban bliss than having to venture into the unknown, if that is indeed the case.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

Has the DC Nuclear Winter Special dropped yet? If it has, can anyone say if it's worth picking up?

ON SALE 11.28.18

I guess it's not impossible that these characters are just taken up as the regular Scott and Bard of the DCU cause they're well received, but the world they were shown by Metron's gotta be the one we're currently reading, which already has it's own Mister Miracle and Big Barda (edit: and, you know, living versions of all of MM's dead New Gods and Apokoliptians.) If they want it to follow logic, they'd have to change their minds and jump over like pre-Flashpoint Superman and be doubles.
But again, they could not worry about all that and just give the DCU versions a baby named Jake.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2018

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Teenage Fansub posted:

ON SALE 11.28.18

I guess it's not impossible that these characters are just taken up as the regular Scott and Bard of the DCU cause they're well received, but the world they were shown by Metron's gotta be the one we're currently reading, which already has it's own Mister Miracle and Big Barda (edit: and, you know, living versions of all of MM's dead New Gods and Apokoliptians.) If they want it to follow logic, they'd have to change their minds and jump over like pre-Flashpoint Superman and be doubles.
But again, they could not worry about all that and just give the DCU versions a baby named Jake.

They're probably going to be reintroduced and be informed by this run but this run will exist as its own thing. I just remember that Tom King was quoted as saying the series was in continuity but was cagey as to when and when they were teasing Heroes in Crisis and Scott and Barda were front and center as patients in Sanctuary, but seeing how this ended and how HiC is going I'm not so sure any of that applies anymore.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Detective Comics 1000 plans: https://www.newsarama.com/42739-dc-s-big-detective-comics-1000-plans-unveiled.html?utm_source=notification

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Peter J. Tomasi and Doug Mahnke are scheduled to write and draw #1000's lead story, with additional stories by Geoff Johns, Brian Michael Bendis, Paul Dini, Christopher Priest, Denny O’Neil, Neal Adams, Kelley Jones, Dustin Nguyen, Alex Maleev and more"

I sure hope there's a woman or two in the "and more."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Danger posted:

No. He's stuck in the Omega Sanction, but since he killed the Sanction's version of Darkseid, Darkseid himself can no longer influence the world. But it's STILL the Omega Sanction he's stuck in. The only difference is he's aware of how he's trapped and doesn't care because he'd have to leave his new fake-life behind to return to reality. He is living a lie, it's the Black Mercy but Superman was both aware and then shrugged and just let it happen because it was more painful to live in reality than to exist in a happy life.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Onmi posted:

No. He's stuck in the Omega Sanction, but since he killed the Sanction's version of Darkseid, Darkseid himself can no longer influence the world. But it's STILL the Omega Sanction he's stuck in. The only difference is he's aware of how he's trapped and doesn't care because he'd have to leave his new fake-life behind to return to reality. He is living a lie, it's the Black Mercy but Superman was both aware and then shrugged and just let it happen because it was more painful to live in reality than to exist in a happy life.

I mean, I have no idea what any of that means but it sort of underscores the point in the issue: of Oberon’s rebuke of the whole idea of a fathomable or resolvable continuity, which Scott embraced. It’s all nonsense.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Danger posted:

I mean, I have no idea what any of that means but it sort of underscores the point in the issue: of Oberon’s rebuke of the whole idea of a fathomable or resolvable continuity, which Scott embraced. It’s all nonsense.

Sure, as a meta-commentary that works, but it's literally the same as someone living in virtual reality because it makes them happy. Yes they might be happy, but it isn't real, no amount of delusion will make it any more real, and being so broken in the brain that you'd rather live in fantasy than reality just makes you pathetic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1063174783511289858

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Onmi posted:

Sure, as a meta-commentary that works, but it's literally the same as someone living in virtual reality because it makes them happy. Yes they might be happy, but it isn't real, no amount of delusion will make it any more real, and being so broken in the brain that you'd rather live in fantasy than reality just makes you pathetic.

It's a comic; none of it is real.

Which sounds reductive and snarky, I know, but honestly I think to miss it is to miss the point; it's hard to say "well I'm trying to focus on this narrative universe" when the whole idea is that different narrative universes are equally valid.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Tom King's seeming complete lack of ego is one of the few -- but important -- reasons why I would never actually say that I dislike him.

Slam Bradley
Mar 31, 2010

Onmi posted:

I took it as he's a super escape artist and he chose escapism. Beyond that, isn't escape really about the freedom to choose, being unrestrained by the conditions that surround you? The man can literally escape from anything, including death. Having been able to escape and choosing not to because it's expected is escaping from expectations; it's all about free will. Which, I think, is why traditionally the anti-life equation hasn't affected him/can't control him.

Slam Bradley fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 16, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Electric Warriors is off to a great start. Check it out if you enjoyed Omega Men or the type of sci-fi that comes out of Image Comics, like Low.
It totally fits Travel Foreman's style and the colouring actually works for him which has rarely happened since Animal Man.

edit: I'm a bit worried that it'll take half of the six issue run to even get to meet all of the characters on the cover. We only have two in the first comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't catch much about it, is it at all connected to the original?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Reading the synopsis in it's wiki page, I don't think so. There's a dystopian future with a fractured society, but no robot cops.
It's in the future of Kamandi's world (and the DCU's? Creatures revere the trinity and Supe's cape is some legendary relic.) A human and an octopus creature from the animal tribes undergo some sort of all-spark superpowering (becoming Electric Warriors) and fly off to represent Earth in some sorta very important intergalactic combat tournament.

I thought it was way more compelling than Orlando's last original thing, The Unexpected.

edit: The main dude's face gear is probably a nod to the original.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 16, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There was an issue of Kamandi where there were ape-men trying to do various ritual demonstrations to become like The Mighty One and it turned out that The Mighty One was Superman. Myth and legend indicated that The Mighty One attempted to stop all the bullshit that created the Kamandi setting, but failed, and is prophecied to return. His outfit, of course, was intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

"Peter J. Tomasi and Doug Mahnke are scheduled to write and draw #1000's lead story, with additional stories by Geoff Johns, Brian Michael Bendis, Paul Dini, Christopher Priest, Denny O’Neil, Neal Adams, Kelley Jones, Dustin Nguyen, Alex Maleev and more"

I sure hope there's a woman or two in the "and more."

I agree. When was the last time a woman wrote a Batman comic?

Also, kind of weird not to see Scott Snyder or James Tynion IV in that lineup, specially Tynion, since he had the better run with the title in recent years