Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tercio posted:

If it succeeds then it creates a Crusader State with a massive number of event troops. 80k in my case. It made them the strongest state in the world and they immediately went about conquering their neighbors, and even some far flung places like Abyssinia.

Here's another case. Well over 100k event troops. It's silly but I mean who cares ultimately. But make something like this one of the "wacky" supernatural events.

Edit: Beatification also seems too easy to achieve. Having a long reign basically guarantees it just based on the amount of piety you can generate through the passage of time.

Does it ever succeed without the player aiding them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Eldership is like a massively worse version of Tanistry, how exciting!

Also, man is it annoying making empires in Africa. Tribals make no money to speak of, and there's not much raiding in the Sahara. And in my particular case it doesn't help that the Sultanate of Africa is snowballing hard. I've got 13k troops in Songhai and I'm barely keeping pace. Getting that last 600 gold is gonna be slooow

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Got holy fury tonight and started a Zoroastrian campaign. 10 years in I became a crazy cat lord, my kitty got hurt in battle and I challenged the commander to a duel in a rage. I was immediately killed and game over'd.

I love this patch :allears:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Does it ever succeed without the player aiding them?

I didn't aid it in my case.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Azhais posted:

That's not true. If you keep your elders happy, they will vote for whoever you choose, even your firstborn genius son. If they don't like you, they will vote for who they consider the worst heir. Tanistry is less extreme. They will never vote for your children (unless they're the only family members), but they don't go out of their way to elect a shithead, either.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
My White Hun run was going swell, but within the span of 10 years after a century had passed the Seljuks appeared, the Mongols invaded, and the Aztecs appeared. The Seljuks, Abbasids and China were quickly owned by the Horde, and the Aztecs had painted all of Europe but Sicily orange and reformed in no time flat. It's going to be a looong way to the achievement :saddowns:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Torrannor posted:

That's not true. If you keep your elders happy, they will vote for whoever you choose, even your firstborn genius son. If they don't like you, they will vote for who they consider the worst heir. Tanistry is less extreme. They will never vote for your children (unless they're the only family members), but they don't go out of their way to elect a shithead, either.

this, plus if they're not voting correctly, deport the fucker.

tanistry was never this good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I want to reform Norse, and I have all the requirements to do so fulfilled except moral authority (47 currently). What can I do to get some aside from conquering the last holy site? I see something about "Great Pillars" but I don't know how to build those. The patch notes mention them briefly, saying they added an intrigue decision to create them, but it's not in my decision list.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I started on the charlamagne bookmark and I was pretty sad that none of the Norse rulers have a bloodline. But it turns out as the petty king of Sweden, my firstborn son got the hero bloodline anyway when he turned 14 and got a free brawny trait. Kid is 19 and is already a better dueller than his dad just off his base stats. When he inherits Mjolnir poo poo is going to get crazy.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So my sub-Saharan Africa game has turned into a pattern of young leader gets assassinated, new leader takes over and everyone hates her, gets assassinated within a few years, new leader takes over, everyone hates her, gets assassinated within a few years. Every new character starts with even lower approval than the previous one and every vassal has an automatic -20 opinion due to being a title claimant. Not a fan of this whole elective gavelkind eldership thing but everyone hates me so much that I can't change any laws. Amazingly I've still managed to conquer a decent amount of territory and hold on to it

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I want to reform Norse, and I have all the requirements to do so fulfilled except moral authority (47 currently). What can I do to get some aside from conquering the last holy site? I see something about "Great Pillars" but I don't know how to build those. The patch notes mention them briefly, saying they added an intrigue decision to create them, but it's not in my decision list.

When you get together 350 gold you'll be able to build one as a county decision (ie: right-click the county's flag). Should be an icon at the top will appear once you're able to build one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demiurge4 posted:

So I started on the charlamagne bookmark and I was pretty sad that none of the Norse rulers have a bloodline. But it turns out as the petty king of Sweden, my firstborn son got the hero bloodline anyway when he turned 14 and got a free brawny trait. Kid is 19 and is already a better dueller than his dad just off his base stats. When he inherits Mjolnir poo poo is going to get crazy.

The kid of the Swedish king is Ragnar Lodbrok himself, whose descendants in the Old Gods start date do have a legendary bloodline - Ragnar's bloodline. He always gets the brawny trait through an event in childhood, and I guess he automatically founds his bloodline in Holy Fury now.

Every temple holding of another faith you siege down while raiding gives your religion +1% MA. Sail to Ireland with their weak tribal holdings and just burn down three churches, problem solved.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You have to do some hmatrilineal shenanigans to get multiple bloodlines into your family. I've got a granddaughter that has both Brian Boru and Charles Martel blood, now comes the "wrangle her onto the throne with a boytoy that has Ragnarr's blood" part.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm extremely excited to reform Germanic with Ragnar once he takes over, I'm planning to do an Enatic faith tenant and make everyone warrior queens.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Considering the animal portraits exist, I wonder how long until someone eventually decides to make Redwall Kings a thing.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I was pretty excited in the dev diaries where they showed new battle events where you could avoid death by sacrificing items or whatnot but unfortunately there's still plenty of chance of running into events with no options presented, you just die. I get it, it's war and sometimes poo poo happens but it still feels like the best option is to never personally lead armies. It's especially bad for the Byzantines with their new succession mechanics because an untimely death means you've probably just lost the throne.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Been playing a game trying to reform slavic and their holy sites are so far apart. With forced gavelkind and the new exclave rules, I don't see how there's any way to achieve this. Every time my leader dies my territory gets split up into kingdoms and it doesn't seem possible to avoid expanding into other kingdoms while getting 3 holy sites. Anyone got any tips?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Chalks posted:

Been playing a game trying to reform slavic and their holy sites are so far apart. With forced gavelkind and the new exclave rules, I don't see how there's any way to achieve this. Every time my leader dies my territory gets split up into kingdoms and it doesn't seem possible to avoid expanding into other kingdoms while getting 3 holy sites. Anyone got any tips?

Yeah I was really hoping reforming pagan faiths would have other options than 'control 3 holy sites'.

I want a mighty warrior with high piety to get a vision from god and go on a quest for revelation. The requirements for reforming a faith is basically blobbing and I really dislike blobbing in general, I much prefer releasing strong vassals to go their own way and hang on to my kingdom and play protector of the faith.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A lovely floral smell huh? Uhhh, if you say so guys.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Funky Valentine posted:

You have to do some hmatrilineal shenanigans to get multiple bloodlines into your family. I've got a granddaughter that has both Brian Boru and Charles Martel blood, now comes the "wrangle her onto the throne with a boytoy that has Ragnarr's blood" part.

Wait, so the Kwisatz Haderach breeding program is back as a game mechanic? :dance:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
According to the Paradox forums, if you do the "forge bloodline" ambition and go with one of the builder paths (build 10 castles, cities or temples, respectively), you unlock unique building chains for castles, cities or temples. That's really cool.

Edit: If you take Warmongering and Enatic Clans on reformation, you get a special CB to force other realms to empower women :aaa:

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 15, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The Bold Kobold posted:

Considering the animal portraits exist, I wonder how long until someone eventually decides to make Redwall Kings a thing.

I'm still surprised that no one has already made it. Redwall is prime CKII material.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also, RIP to my first ruler of this game.

Though not always through pious means, you united Wales and protected it against outside forces and Fraticelli Heretics within. You lived far longer than I expected you to, and accomplished so much. When the pope announced the call of God to retake Sicily, you went even knowing you'd probably never see the land you fought so hard to rebuild again and died in the Lord's name defending Rome against the most foul European mercenaries being paid by moslem coin. And while you didn't do it for him, you'd be pleased to know your sponsored kinsman now sits as King of Sicily. Also, Cadwallon your last living son, that horrible womanizer you were so worried about, shaped up real fast in the fires of that Crusade after he took over for you. He's a good King.

You earned every ounce of that Beatification. Whoever is Pope in another decade and a half or so had better bump that up to full Sainthood. You deserve it buddy. :unsmith:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

I was pretty excited in the dev diaries where they showed new battle events where you could avoid death by sacrificing items or whatnot but unfortunately there's still plenty of chance of running into events with no options presented, you just die. I get it, it's war and sometimes poo poo happens but it still feels like the best option is to never personally lead armies. It's especially bad for the Byzantines with their new succession mechanics because an untimely death means you've probably just lost the throne.

If you join a warrior society then at a certain point you get additional choices where you pick up a temporary injury (sprained wrist for example, instead of losing a hand) instead of being maimed in battle. Added to that if your personal combat is high enough then you seem virtually immune to death or maiming in battle and instead tend to reap enemy commanders either dead or captured along with rapidly accumulating hundreds of prestige.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Every temple holding of another faith you siege down while raiding gives your religion +1% MA. Sail to Ireland with their weak tribal holdings and just burn down three churches, problem solved.

I don't have boats yet. The age of vikings has yet to start (even though my character has the viking trait).

Guess I'll have to save up some gold or something. Seems like it's either that, or wait for my current character to croak, subjugate saxony, and use that to springboard into christian europe.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Patrat posted:

If you join a warrior society then at a certain point you get additional choices where you pick up a temporary injury (sprained wrist for example, instead of losing a hand) instead of being maimed in battle. Added to that if your personal combat is high enough then you seem virtually immune to death or maiming in battle and instead tend to reap enemy commanders either dead or captured along with rapidly accumulating hundreds of prestige.

Yeah even as a Catholic, having high personal combat and getting to decapitate enemy commanders and rulers is great

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patrat posted:

I played around for a bit and ended up with a warrior dragon high chieftainess who was an unmitigated badass. She was in her late fifties but had a personal combat skill of 101.

She killed the commander of the enemy center in a huge battle, then her pet cat was killed by archers, so she killed the commander of their left flank, that was ludicrous enough that the battle went from being outnumbered to the enemy suffering over 60% casualties.

Crusader Kings 2: Enemy killed pet cat. Went berserk. Still counting coup, full AAR follows

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm kind of torn on the new portraits. The French and Arabic ones look decent but out of place with the style of the other portraits, which bothers me, at least the new clothes are pretty good. The Italian ones are awful. Hoping the CPR mod, or whatever it was called, doesn't take too long to update and that they do try to go for a more unified portrait style overall while incorporating some of the new stuff as appropriate.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I miss the old Italian portraits when all the men looked like moldy potatoes

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
am I a coward if I take off shattered retreat? It's absolutely miserable crushing a stack only for them to lose maybe 20% and having to chase them around instead of sieging.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have boats yet. The age of vikings has yet to start (even though my character has the viking trait).

Guess I'll have to save up some gold or something. Seems like it's either that, or wait for my current character to croak, subjugate saxony, and use that to springboard into christian europe.
Burn other pagans or just piss off everyone on the way to the Christians and just burn your way over to them

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Asproigerosis posted:

am I a coward if I take off shattered retreat? It's absolutely miserable crushing a stack only for them to lose maybe 20% and having to chase them around instead of sieging.

Turn defensive pacts off too.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Turn off everything that annoys you. It's your game.

I like defensive pacts. It's fun when you decide to de jure claim some county and it kicks off world war one. If you want to paint the map, turn it off I guess.

I always turn off AI seduction, Aztecs and devil worshippers, but occasionally I turn them all on and watch the world flood with possessed syphilitic bastards.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Asproigerosis posted:

If you make the wrong call and lose that first battle you'll risk getting ping-ponged to death. I turn shattered retreat off, but you are playing with fire if you do so.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Is there any way to access your vassals boats as a tribal Norse ruler? Gavelkind screwed me and left my demesne landlocked, now I can't raid apparently?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

this game is great

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pidan posted:

Turn off everything that annoys you. It's your game.

I like defensive pacts. It's fun when you decide to de jure claim some county and it kicks off world war one. If you want to paint the map, turn it off I guess.

I always turn off AI seduction, Aztecs and devil worshippers, but occasionally I turn them all on and watch the world flood with possessed syphilitic bastards.

What's annoying about AI seduction?

Can you turn off shattered retreat in the middle of a game?

I started a new game and the only thing I remembered to change was disabling the sunset invasion. I see people complaining about shattered retreat etc. so I might just start again and look at the options more carefully.

The animal stuff isn't on by default is it?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Azhais posted:

Also, man is it annoying making empires in Africa. Tribals make no money to speak of, and there's not much raiding in the Sahara. And in my particular case it doesn't help that the Sultanate of Africa is snowballing hard. I've got 13k troops in Songhai and I'm barely keeping pace. Getting that last 600 gold is gonna be slooow

if you rank up in the warrior lodge to the point where you get extra captives from raiding, you can get more money from razing/capturing/ransoming than you do from the actual raiding mechanic

which also means you're free to just trundle along to abyssinia or wherever since you dont need to worry about connectivity

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

fuf posted:

What's annoying about AI seduction?

Can you turn off shattered retreat in the middle of a game?

AI seduction always makes a couple of my vassals get into a race who can seduce the most of my courtiers and daughters. Bastards everywhere, and every woman has "lover's pox".

Afaik you can't change these settings after the game starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can change the rules by modding the save if you really don't want to abandon the game. Turning it off doesn't seem to be as effective as it used to be though. You can have 3 times the army of another stack and it'll still take like 8 fights to wipe them out.