Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is the deal all that bad or just politically unpalatable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Maybe a combination of the two and also this is a prime opportunity to try and put yourself forward for the Tory leadership.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zeroisanumber posted:

Both really. A lot of the Brexit support relied on never saying what Brexit actually was. We’ve just reached a point where it was no longer possible to do that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Esther McVey has gone now too.

Good riddance.

e: and two more junior ministers.

Kick the lot of them out and start again imo

it dont matter has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Nov 15, 2018

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zeroisanumber posted:

the deal is bad if you’re a Brexiter because it’s not brexitty enough and bad if you’re a Remainer because it’s still Brexit

if you accept that Brexit has to happen it’s about as soft a Brexit as you can get and therefore a good deal

so both sides want to face the deal down for their own reasons - but one side is going to lose badly when we get either hard Brexit, or no Brexit at all

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is there a pdf or some key points you guys have found?

Being a UK citizen living in an EU country, I'd like to know how hosed I'll be come March

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Captain Splendid posted:

Being a UK citizen living in an EU country, I'd like to know how hosed I'll be come March

If you've 5 years residence you'll be alright I think.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Captain Splendid posted:

one of the earliest agreements was that Eu/uk citizens should have their current rights preserved I expect you to be fine in any circumstance

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Pissflaps posted:

the deal is bad if you’re a Brexiter because it’s not brexitty enough and bad if you’re a Remainer because it’s still Brexit

if you accept that Brexit has to happen it’s about as soft a Brexit as you can get and therefore a good deal

so both sides want to face the deal down for their own reasons - but one side is going to lose badly when we get either hard Brexit, or no Brexit at all

under the current deal is UK still in the single market with freedom of movement and all that? I cba reading the thing

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Some dude just phoned up James O'Brien crying about what a horrible mistake he'd made by voting leave.

Good for him for waking up, but it's a couple years late.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Martout posted:

under the current deal is UK still in the single market with freedom of movement and all that? I cba reading the thing

this deal is only the exit deal - it covers how things would work while we negotiate any trade deal with the Eu, so anything in it is temporary

the uk wouldn’t be in *the* single market, but in *a* single market with the Eu, abiding by the same rules, but not in a position to influence them - which is the problem with it. it’s also essentially open ended.

tbh I don’t know how freedom of movement has been affected. I cba reading it either.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

alphabettitouretti posted:

Some dude just phoned up James O'Brien crying about what a horrible mistake he'd made by voting leave.

my hope is it isn’t

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

alphabettitouretti posted:

Hope that makes its way onto Twitter, I need some fuel.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/1062773934192553984

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/PaulJSweeney/st...ingawful.com%2F

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1063031031081648128?s=19

:yeshaha:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1063036634189447168

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to the bloodshed after this deal is rejected.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

can't bog the mogg

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm the guy in the orange tie

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

daddy jezza

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't know all that much about how uk politics works, but could this result in another snap election?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
May is getting absolutely pounded in the parliament, but I don't usually watch this stuff so maybe that's just the norm. Crazy stuff though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I honestly think May will hold on, but that the vote on the plan will fail.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't know all that much about how uk politics works, but could this result in another snap election?

Ehhhhh

If the DUP stops supporting the government, then probably yes. If they're sated with ditching May for another leader, then there's nothing stopping them trucking on til 2022

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it could but not directly

a new Tory leader would mean a new prime minister, but that doesn’t necessitate an election

however a new leader - or May - might see it as a risky way to break the Brexit impasse

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

May is getting absolutely pounded in the parliament, but I don't usually watch this stuff so maybe that's just the norm. Crazy stuff though.
This is an abnormal level of bollocking.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Nurge posted:

Not normally like this at all. This is a can thats been kicked as far down the road as possible finally reaching deadline.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

It's my understanding that if May gets no-confidence'd, the issue will come down to whether the Tories will be able to select a new leader among themselves. If they can't, then the UK gets another election.

I believe the Tories that dislike May are being careful about this, because they're more afraid of a Labour government should another election happen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/1062684649749708800

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's my understanding that if May gets no-confidence'd, the issue will come down to whether the Tories will be able to select a new leader among themselves.
Given they have quite a robust leadership election system I assume they could select a new leader. The problem is more that they would face the same parliamentary complexities.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A change of leadership is just more can-kicking. Whoever ends up in charge still has to face up to the fact that there is no deal that everyone will agree on, and a no deal Brexit would be a complete disaster.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/Damian_Barr/status/1063009559969755136

lol

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
at this point what sane person would even want to take over?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Martout posted:

I was about to say Boris but then noticed you wrote sane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trying to find the celebrated :spill: image from auspol in solidarity

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/robertpopper/status/1063051511721349120

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Martout posted:

You might get Jo Johnson making a run as a remain Tory

The Tory governing and voting coalition relies on being able to deliver Brexit though. The fact that they can't means they are pretty hosed

Basically the only hope for the Tories is that the ERG are more scared of a GE and possible Labour government than no brexit

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Trying to find the celebrated :spill: image from auspol in solidarity
:auspol:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I loving wish we just abandoned :decorum:here in the states and just had burn fests like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is the Tory party going to split itself over this?