Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Pauper rules. I don't play your deck, but always rooting for you hellsau!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If they are going to take Pauper seriously, do you think they will ban Tron and Delver?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Boco_T posted:

If they are going to take Pauper seriously, do you think they will ban Tron and Delver?

Depends on how much scrutiny the format gets. If any real focus gets put on the format, there's no way Probe and Gush survive because they're both broken cards, Delver is next on the chopping block, and then Tron if they have any sense. There isn't even anything they can ban other than the Tron lands, since there's so many different, totally nonsense builds of Tron, that they can't just ban something to weaken the archetype as a whole.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellsau posted:

Depends on how much scrutiny the format gets. If any real focus gets put on the format, there's no way Probe and Gush survive because they're both broken cards, Delver is next on the chopping block, and then Tron if they have any sense. There isn't even anything they can ban other than the Tron lands, since there's so many different, totally nonsense builds of Tron, that they can't just ban something to weaken the archetype as a whole.

downshift crumble to dust

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

evilweasel posted:

downshift crumble to dust

Still runs into the problem of just getting countered or owned by Ghostly Flicker, and also makes the mirror into a disaster.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

having gotten an earth rift fizzled by ghostly flicker, and then the flashback on earth rift also ghostly flickered, it really does make you want to die

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

There's no reason Ghostly Flicker should be legal when Displace exists for the same job without targeting artifacts and lands.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellsau posted:

Still runs into the problem of just getting countered or owned by Ghostly Flicker, and also makes the mirror into a disaster.

but it would be funny as all hell to land it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Went 4-1 in my first Comp league, gaining 60 play points profit over a 5-0 in the Friendly. Decent. Matches played:
  • Izzet Delver (2-0) - They didn't have a chance either game due to my draws.
  • Dimir Delver (2-0) - They didn't have a chance either game due to Tron's inherant archetype advantage.
  • Tribe (0-2) - Game 1 went very, very long, to the point where my opponent cast three Gushes, Dizzy Spelled for a Tribe, tried to go off and failed, played a second Tribe, Gigadrowsed me down to one colored mana source, played another Shadow Rift and Inside Out, used their last Gush and countered my Moment's Peace on their turn 11. I had played 8 spells. Game 2 they killed me turn 3 with counter backup after going Ponder into Tribe. Welp
  • Izzet Delver (2-1) - Game 1 they had specifically Dispel to stop me from turn 6 evoking Mulldrifter and Flickering it and my Dignitary, plus removal for my two creatures and two counterspells for my last ditch Moment's Peace. Both sideboarded games, I had an early Circle of Protection: Blue and lands. They had Echoing Truth to bounce CoP game 3 but it was far, far too late by that point, because their draw was super slow.
  • Elves (2-0) - They conceded game 1 to Capsize on my Wall with mana to recast and get back Moment's Peace, so I think they didn't have Longbow in their maindeck. Game 2 they conceded to me casting Mystical Teachings with Mnemonic Wall in play, having never seen a Stonehorn, so I think they didn't have Longbow in their side.

Stonehorn Tron still is great due its good Delver matchups, but I'm not sure how popular its walkover matches will be in the Comp leagues. Dunno if Mono-White Heroic, Stompy, and other assorted dorky aggro decks are gonna be. Cutting some anti-combat cards for more maindeck counterspells might be wise, if I can fiddle with the sideboard slots a bit. This is my current list, testing out 25 lands 2 Maps no Crop Rotation to fit all 8 anti-combat cards in the main to open up space for 2 CoP:Blue and 2 CoP:Red in the board alongside the full 8 Blasts and the necessary Grudge/Gut Shot/Arrows:

Finding games was just as quick as it was in the Friendlies with only one league, and took about two and a half hours to play out. Good times ahead for Pauper grinding.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

Agreed 100%.

WotC should just ban Urza's Mine, but leave the other two legal :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You'll never take my Urza's Mine, you hear me? It's Mine! Mine!

Ban Tower because it adds 3 instead of 2.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau is back! Awesome.

I'm playing in a bunch of pauper at GP Melbourne, I have Tribe, Monarch and Stonehorn Tron in paper. Slightly more experience with Boros, then Tron, then Tribe trails a way back. I should just play Tron right? Concerned about finishing matches in time, but I guess I only have to win game one...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I can't imagine playing Stonehorn Tron in paper and actually finishing matches. You'd basically need to call a judge to watch for slowplay every game and also hope they actually do anything about slow play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I am displeased with this distribution of lands and spells.

extremely displeased

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

I can't imagine playing Stonehorn Tron in paper and actually finishing matches. You'd basically need to call a judge to watch for slowplay every game and also hope they actually do anything about slow play.

Went 2-0-1 today, deck felt great as usual, beat UG Turbofog and Boros Monarch easily then drew against UR Delver after I landed a turn 3 COP:Blue but fetched a Tron land instead of a green source in game 3. I then drew a lot of Tron lands instead of coloured sources. I eventually drew out of it but was two turns short of bouncing all his blockers and finishing him with Mulldrifters. Will run it back twice tomorrow and see how I go.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

UG Turbofog will have its revenge you monster

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is that just tron, but with less mana

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

Elyv posted:

Is that just tron, but with less mana

More or less, but the kill condition is usually decking your opponent with Jace's Erasure rather than bouncing all their permanents with Capsize.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Did u play today hellsau?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

always be closing posted:

Did u play today hellsau?

5-2, waiting on last match for breakers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

welp two 5-2s made it in, I bubbled out in 10th. Bummer. Both my losses were to Tribe getting turn 2 or 3 kills in 4 out of 6 games. I recorded and will be uploading after Thanksgiving once I'm back on hardwire internet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Okay, this is amazing. So some UB Delver dude has lost to me three times in the Comp queues, and this third time around, dude was a huge jerk in chat, including clocking down the last 6 minutes of their clock:

So apparently he was streaming when he took his second loss, and holy moley this dude is the very definition of salty. This is the good poo poo that I miss from World of Tanks.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/336607646?t=11h51m06s

"Relic of Progenitus beats Tron" is lol. Like if you're gonna play UB Control you're gonna lose against Tron. Also, game 1 he targeted me with Thought Scour, didn't mention why, and he milled a Teachings. That play demonstrably lost him the game and he never figured it out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This motherfucker gets you down to 1, you play teachings, he says he has lost.

20 minutes later, he's still playing and whining and moaning about how bored he is, talking about how Tron is cancer and a big brain deck when he could have just conceded like someone who isn't an idiot

(I stopped watching after the stream went silent for copyright reasons, and the fact I couldn't stand listening to him anymore)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Can anyone join these events? What time do they start on Sunday?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ultimate Masters spoilers tomorrow but I dunno if they'll spoil any sweet commons, maybe if they do the draft archetypes?

GoutPatrol posted:

Can anyone join these events? What time do they start on Sunday?

What, the Challenges? The Pauper one starts at 1PM Eastern and costs 250 Play Points or 25 Tickets to enter. If you mean the things in which I soundly beat that raging dude, those are Competitive Pauper Leagues, 120 Play Points or 12 Tickets to enter, and you play your matches whenever any time any day.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah I was talking about the challenges. Sounds like ever participating in them would be hard for me because that's 2 AM sunday night where I am.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cards that need to be banned, in my Super Expert Totally Legit Opinion:

Daze
Gush
Foil (ban it before it even hits the format)
Urza's Tower/Mine/Power Plant
Pulse of Murasa
Ghostly Flicker

thank you for your attention

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pulse is fine in the GB durdly garbage decks. It's only really stupid in decks where it's inevitability plus protection, like Tron or sometimes Familiars. Yeah a blue deck splashing green can play that instead of Crypt Incursion + Grim Harvest/Death Denied/whatever recursion to save slots, but those other cards are much more powerful assuming you don't need both halves at the same time.

Foil is only playable in totally broken nonsense with WAY too much card advantage, so banning it is fine. If Tron gets banned I'm going straight to Familiars with a Mystical Teachings package that includes Foils, because when you're going off you can afford to spew off some card advantage to stop your opponent from doing anything. If they ban Flicker and Familiars is forced to use Displace then at least you could target it with land destruction, assuming you have an actual game plan to go alongside the LD plan.

Why the gently caress were all the most powerful downshifts Blue? Moan of the Unhallowed is cool and the weird Pieces of the Puzzle decks will probably swap to UB, but lol come on WotC.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Which deck is Tribe? Is it just any deck that's tribal or a specific tribe?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Star Man posted:

Which deck is Tribe? Is it just any deck that's tribal or a specific tribe?

https://scryfall.com/card/ody/56/tireless-tribe
https://scryfall.com/card/eve/103/inside-out

It's a Gush fueled combo deck based on those two cards.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Its also why I've been putting a singleton CoP: Shadow in all of my W/x sideboards, because Tribe uses shadow rift to make Tireless Tribe unblockable :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Finally got my first trophy in the Competitive Pauper Leagues. Since the new leagues went up, my records have been:

1 5-0
6 4-1
2 3-2
1 2-3

so one whiffed record, two break evens plus a chest, then a bunch of substantially more profitable leagues. I'm up 2.5 entry fees and 66 chests, plus whatever QPs are worth. There's a Standard MOCS event in...seven hours and I've never played this format, so that's out, but apparently next Sunday there's a sealed one if I can scrounge up 4 more QPs. It starts 3 hours before the Pauper Challenge so I can see if I have a sweet deck and drop out if it's bad!

37 wins out of 50 matches is 74% winrate which is ridiculous. Ban Tron, Delver, Gush, Probe, Flicker, Rancor and Foil.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

^all that, plus Snap, Pulse and Fireblast can gently caress off too.

poo poo, I wouldn't be averse to just banning everything with Phyrexian mana in the cost.

edit: these feelings come from playing like 30 games today and ~26 of them being against one of the three Delver variants (U, U/R and U/B) or the exact same loving Burn deck played by like 4 different people (i swear if I see Lava Spike into Needle Drop one more goddamn time, i'll set my laptop on fire). I got wrecked by Stonehorn Lock, and I enjoyed every second of it because it wasn't just loving Delver or Burn again.

Not a single Tron matchup, though. Which was nice.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 24, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol UB Delver players are such mad bad babies. Check to see if you can see the mistake between these two screenshots:

That's right, my opponent kept a 1 land hand, Brainstormed at the end of my turn, and then either forgot to set a stop on their upkeep or just didn't think to Thought Scour away both cards they put back with Brainstorm, and then milled the Island that they would have drawn had they played correctly. If you Thought Scour upkeep, even if you ditch a good card that you want to keep, you get two looks at a second land which is vastly more important than keeping 7 of the 8 cards that you've seen. Beautiful. Now, I would have posted this as a cautionary tale, except this guy was actually a bad person, not just a bad player. Giant chat log wherein my opponent complains about losing to their worst matchup and tells me to kill myself over a video game:

I managed to beat Mezzel twice in a row, and then I got this doofus, so my League is going great!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/playing-pauper-life-pauper-magic-online

This deck looks hilarious and I want to play it

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hellsau what’s your current tron list?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Hellsau what’s your current tron list?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1488547#paper

Horror should be swapped to a third Map, a 25th land, or move a Moment's Peace in from the board if you want to make room in the board for something. Or just play Horror because it makes your better matchups even better and is also great in the mirror.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey I just wanna let you all know I thought that Foil's alternate cost was "Discard an Island and another blue card" but no, it's just discard Island and any other card. Jesus loving christ WotC.

Gonna play Familiars with 6 Island 4 Ash Barrens, 4 Deep Analysis and a Mystical Teachings package with 4 Foil between the main and side.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hellsau posted:

Hey I just wanna let you all know I thought that Foil's alternate cost was "Discard an Island and another blue card" but no, it's just discard Island and any other card. Jesus loving christ WotC.

Gonna play Familiars with 6 Island 4 Ash Barrens, 4 Deep Analysis and a Mystical Teachings package with 4 Foil between the main and side.

I too thought it was "a blue card," but yeah, it's way better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I too thought it was "a blue card," but yeah, it's way better than that.

The new art is also sweet, and I want to point out that it works thematically with the Best Island, also by the same artist: