Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Was riding around Lemoyne and got a random event up in the woods, one guy yelling at two other guys to put their backs into it or something. I go investigate and it’s two klansmen raising a cross for their meeting later that night with a guy in a black robe barking orders at them. I startled them and the cross fell on the two in white, and I chased the other guy down and hogtied him and put him on the horse. Then we went to the bayou with some predator bait.

Game owns indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Krinkle posted:

This is the upper right furthest corner of the map. These are the cougars I consistently found while looking for moose that don't exist. Just ride around until your horse gets scared or nap and try again.

Thanks a ton! I now have my Legend of the East purse!

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

After a brief bit of fishing, if you spam tapping down on L-stick while reeling in, you'll pretty much zoom whatever fish right to you. It's a bit obscene.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Santheb posted:

Was riding around Lemoyne and got a random event up in the woods, one guy yelling at two other guys to put their backs into it or something. I go investigate and it’s two klansmen raising a cross for their meeting later that night with a guy in a black robe barking orders at them. I startled them and the cross fell on the two in white, and I chased the other guy down and hogtied him and put him on the horse. Then we went to the bayou with some predator bait.

Game owns indeed.

I feel like such a dumb piece of poo poo. I saw the same thing and the guy in black is like "don't you dare let that cross touch the ground. Don't you do it! let that cross touch the ground, don't you dare!" just over and over and I just sniped the guy holding it so the cross would touch the ground I didn't think "scare them"

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Krinkle posted:

:words:
One of the faq's map says its a moose spawning ground too and it's a goddamn liar. There are no moose on the east -- only on the west glacier.

I saw a moose in front of the waterfall there once. It was majestic as gently caress, and by the time I called over my horse to pick up my rifle, it got away and was nowhere to be found :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pigs never spawn at my pig locations. Well they do sometimes but there's only ever one and it's rated one star.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Pigs never spawn at my pig locations. Well they do sometimes but there's only ever one and it's rated one star.
I learned to embrace the meaningless karma hit and that made me the proud owner of three "No stars, but perfect now that you've skinned them" pig hides by lasoing and killing the three at Gunslinger Pig farmer

I wonder if those just vanish into nothingness if people ignored them at the time?

What DOES worry me, is when I'm patting a good doggy and see pelt star ratings pop up :ohdear: Glad I'm not chasing 100% completion by a long shot.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Kalsco posted:

Trying to fish for legendary fish for the first time; yikes this feels bad.

Protip is to use eagle eye. It’ll actually show you pretty clearly where the legendary fish is, as I recall.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can you get to new Austin before the story takes you there?

I’m almost done with the satchel crafting. I just need panther, cougar, badger and iguana pelts.

Getting the panther one is testing my patience. I’ve killed three and none of them have been perfect.

Also, tips on finding badgers?

Googling for “Rdr2 hunt badger” has a few sites with explicit locations of the animals you need. I was able to craft the final satchel in Act 3. The key to the badger is to run around the oil derrick area at night with the varmint rifle and use eagle eye.

Also I had expected the panther to be a nightmare. I went to the area and got all prepared for frustration. I started to creep into the woods and a perfect panther appeared right in front of me.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Earlier people were talking about trying to reel with the right stick to keep big fish from taking out line while they struggle. Using the right stick for this will get you a lot of lost fish, use L2 to apply drag to the reel.

Nolgthorn posted:

and restarted the whole story a week ago. I'm never going to get to the end. I'm still in the second chapter.

same

Sioux posted:

Do you use a campsite for hunting? Why? I only use the campsite if I need to craft something or if I want to advance time/heal. I always destroy it right after. If you don't destroy it, do you lose access or need to 'pick it up' again later? Does it show up on your map then?

I leave it up on fishing trips because you're catching a bunch of fish and animals come down to the water a lot so pretty soon you've filled up your bag with small intact carcasses, broken-down carcasses, and game meat and you need to cook to make more space, or rest to repopulate the area. Setting up the camp and tent seems to take about an hour of in-game time and that's an extra hour for Arthur to sleep and digest the thirty slabs of red meat he ate today.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Also the delay with which it explains mechanics to you is really dumb, I got killed in a fist fight really early on because it didn't tell me the block button until way later.

And just poo poo like having to mash X like an Adderall addict to run at any kind of decent speed

I think that if you spent a lot of time with GTAV and RDR1 then the controls feel much more natural because they are basically a hybrid of the controls from both games. Fistfighting is exactly the same as it is in GTAV except that it works a little better.

For running, try switching your control scheme to standard fps. It pretty much just swaps the crouch and sprint buttons so that you can toggle sprint by clicking the stick.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I gotta say, I’m still astonished that the bank robbery mission in Valentine after you move camp worked out exactly as expected. I chose to crack the safes rather than blow them open, and when I saw that I’d be getting like $25,000 dollars, with Arthur’s cut being around $3000 I spent the entire rest of the mission being certain, absolutely certain, that something would go wrong. The money would get stolen on the way back to camp, or someone would get locked up and the only way to get them out would be to pay a massive bribe, something, anything?! But sure enough, you get back to camp after a protracted fight and suddenly you’ve got probably more money than you’ll see for the next 10 hours of gameplay. Surprisingly generous, Rockstar.

If I were a game designer, standard edition buyers would get their money stolen while special edition buyers get the full take.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Lambert posted:

If I were a game designer, standard edition buyers would get their money stolen while special edition buyers get the full take.

Oh, was that the special edition bonus mission? I had no idea.
But yeah, I also found it weird that I suddenly had like 3k.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

shut up blegum posted:

Oh, was that the special edition bonus mission? I had no idea.
But yeah, I also found it weird that I suddenly had like 3k.

No no, just a bad joke. Pretty sure you get the special edition bonus cash right at the beginning of the game. And the bonus mission unlocks some time in Chapter 4.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m thoroughly impressed with the dynamic lighting effects in this game.

titties
May 10, 2012

Lambert posted:

No no, just a bad joke. Pretty sure you get the special edition bonus cash right at the beginning of the game. And the bonus mission unlocks some time in Chapter 4.

I never got my cash and still haven't received the GTA double-action and I'm sad

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Lambert posted:

Oh okay. Yeah, but iirc the bonus cash was only like 200 dollar or something like that?
Anyway, so far the only people I've looted that had more than 20 dollar on them were yeah (small early chapter 4 mission spoiler) grave robbers.
Everybody else has like 1-2 dollar top on them. Makes it extra weird that I'm running around with 3k but whatever

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I don't know how to play this game anymore other than to kill and rob everything I see.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

titties posted:

For running, try switching your control scheme to standard fps. It pretty much just swaps the crouch and sprint buttons so that you can toggle sprint by clicking the stick.

Does this require you to spam click the L3?
Conversely, do you have to hold X(or A if xbone) to crouch or is it toggled?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I am now hoping to find another person attacked by a cougar situation just so I can have the opportunity to scope them with my binoculars and doodle them in my book. They always seem to smell and hunt you before you even realise it, even if you have sent masker.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Cover scent lotion works really well with cougars and panthers in my experience, to the point that I've snuck up on cougars lapping water at a river.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I avoided this thread until I had Arthur's story finished. Don't think I've ever been emotionally moved by a videogame before, I had to charge through the story to find out his fate.

Reading the thread I realise how much I missed on my way through (although I felt I was being pretty thorough). About to start playthrough 2.

I can't get enough of the random encounters and how they play out, and that there are always options and different ways for things to end.

I just found some O'Driscolls who had killed two lawmen, in order to try and free their captive friend in the cage on the stagecoach.

They couldn't open the lock and were making a lot of noise, so throwing knifed them.

The caged prisoner started antagonising me, I shot the lock off the door and he ran off. I chased but he was fast, took a few minutes of running to lasso him, then back to the valentine jail house, where they let me lock him up and paid me.

Nothing in the game told me I could do this, and it wasn't a bounty mission, I wouldn't have even seen them in the dark if they hadn't been shouting.

The free elements like this make this game immensely enjoyable for me.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's not just stuff like that... I found some like random stranger dude who I agreed to help and on the way to walking him to his town I took out my bow to hunt an elk that was nearby and he immediately turned away in fear and just started running and being an incomprehensible terrified mess and I followed him trying to apologise but that was that

In the mission where you have to stop Mary's brother from killing himself I failed like 20 times because the tip that explains duelling is on screen in tiny font for like two seconds, and because the mechanic itself is clunky as hell

Also the delay with which it explains mechanics to you is really dumb, I got killed in a fist fight really early on because it didn't tell me the block button until way later.

And just poo poo like having to mash X like an Adderall addict to run at any kind of decent speed, how slow and clunky picking up items, Arthur himself just feels like he's underwater constantly. In gun fights it's like, sometimes you can jump, sometimes you can't, sometimes you can jump to cover, sometimes you can't, the aiming just goes insane and often I find it hard to lock onto poo poo that's right in front of you...

And yeah I figured out the horse thing but also what the gently caress a few not totally authentic things I'd be okay with to trade for some convenience

Also when do you unlock The Fence I did the gold bar glitch and I just have 30 sitting in my inventory... I'm running through story missions just trying to unlock the ability to sell stuff

:qq:

titties
May 10, 2012

Spiteski posted:

Does this require you to spam click the L3?
Conversely, do you have to hold X(or A if xbone) to crouch or is it toggled?

They are both toggle

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Krinkle posted:

I feel like such a dumb piece of poo poo. I saw the same thing and the guy in black is like "don't you dare let that cross touch the ground. Don't you do it! let that cross touch the ground, don't you dare!" just over and over and I just sniped the guy holding it so the cross would touch the ground I didn't think "scare them"

you don't even need to do anything, they'll gently caress up whether you startle them or not

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ICMB posted:

Also I had expected the panther to be a nightmare. I went to the area and got all prepared for frustration. I started to creep into the woods and a perfect panther appeared right in front of me.

God damnit. Maybe I’ll get lucky today.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This is anecdotal but for poster looking for moose i found one up near fort wallace. Was trying to figure out why my horse was freaking the gently caress out since there were no enemies marked on the map and as i turned to look the big bastard wandered by in the trees.

It was a bit south and east of the fort. No mark there on my map though as best i can tell. But it was a three star so i got a perfect out of it with the rolling block

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Something weird in Rhodes—there’s a question mark on the map right next to the gun store, and when I went there to look at it, there was a guy standing there staring at another guy sticking his arms out of a barred basement window in the side of the gun store. Basement guy was gesticulating his arms wildly but not making any sounds. It won’t let me talk to basement guy, and when I talk to the guy looking at him all I can say is the standard “Howdy! Hope you have a nice day!” or whatever. Apparently that’s all I can do here, and the question mark doesn’t seem to indicate anything else of interest. Is this a bug? Do I just need to come back later?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sheen Sheen posted:

Something weird in Rhodes—there’s a question mark on the map right next to the gun store, and when I went there to look at it, there was a guy standing there staring at another guy sticking his arms out of a barred basement window in the side of the gun store. Basement guy was gesticulating his arms wildly but not making any sounds. It won’t let me talk to basement guy, and when I talk to the guy looking at him all I can say is the standard “Howdy! Hope you have a nice day!” or whatever. Apparently that’s all I can do here, and the question mark doesn’t seem to indicate anything else of interest. Is this a bug? Do I just need to come back later?

Definitely a bug, come back later and something else should happen, assuming the game hasn't screwed you out of it forever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sheen Sheen posted:

You might have found a bug, but that dude in the basement begged for help when I was walking past, rob the gunstore.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sheen Sheen posted:

Go back inside and shove a gun in the gunsmith’s face. He’ll comply.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sheen Sheen posted:

Yeah it bugged out. Come back later and you should have the guy implore at you and you can proceed as normal

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I saw it during the part in Chapter 3 where it keeps telling me that Dutch doesn’t want me to use weapons in Rhodes, and basement guy’s ? overlapped with the search area for one of Strauss’s debt collector missions, I wonder if those caused it to bug out for some reason. Now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure I got a robbery tip for the Rhodes gun store at some point

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I wanted to make sure I had all the special fishing lures, wasn't sure if the ones I don't have are at that bait shop in the swamp so I was on my way there and I stop to look at this dead body hanging from a tree. These two psycho swamp people come rushing at me and I wasn't interested, I just wanted my drat lures, so I scooted off. I get to the bait shop which is a decent distance away, certainly far enough that bounty hunters or anyone else who gets angry and turns to a red dot in the game would give up, and these idiots are still following me. The lady at the shop is like I don't want any trouble and stop fighting and won't let me in, so I just had to sit there and wait for these idiots to run on foot all the way there just to shoot them, which of course the shop closed once I'm out there murdering folk.

A good game.

Edit: I have a feeling it doesn't have the special lure I need anyway because every time I'm near a legendary fish it tells me someone around Flat Iron Lake likes fishing HINT HINT WINK WINK!

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 15, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up some wireless headphones for use with the game on my xbone. They support the microsoft surround stuff, so I have selected that in the xbox settings. What should I select in the game settings, headphones or surround?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

davebo posted:

I wanted to make sure I had all the special fishing lures, wasn't sure if the ones I don't have are at that bait shop in the swamp so I was on my way there and I stop to look at this dead body hanging from a tree. These two psycho swamp people come rushing at me and I wasn't interested, I just wanted my drat lures, so I scooted off. I get to the bait shop which is a decent distance away, certainly far enough that bounty hunters or anyone else who gets angry and turns to a red dot in the game would give up, and these idiots are still following me. The lady at the shop is like I don't want any trouble and stop fighting and won't let me in, so I just had to sit there and wait for these idiots to run on foot all the way there just to shoot them, which of course the shop closed once I'm out there murdering folk.

A good game.

Edit: I have a feeling it doesn't have the special lure I need anyway because every time I'm near a legendary fish it tells me someone around Flat Iron Lake likes fishing HINT HINT WINK WINK!

There's only 3 special lures, I think. Swamp, river and lake.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I picked up some wireless headphones for use with the game on my xbone. They support the microsoft surround stuff, so I have selected that in the xbox settings. What should I select in the game settings, headphones or surround?

Surround.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There's only 3 special lures, I think. Swamp, river and lake.

I have swamp, river and lake lures, are there separate ones that say special?

Also where's this body hanging from a tree that people keep mentioning? I helped save someone's house from night folk, these the same people?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have swamp, river and lake lures, are there separate ones that say special?

Also where's this body hanging from a tree that people keep mentioning? I helped save someone's house from night folk, these the same people?

There's a town near Saint Denis named Lagras, there's a bait shop there that sells the special lures for like $20 each

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I usually play a good guy in any game. I have trouble being bad and evil.
yesterday tho... holy poo poo i don't know what came over me.

Some jackass tried to steal my horse and I decided the best way to make him pay would be to shove him in front of an incoming train. Sounds easy enough, right? HA!

I rope the guy, shove it on the back of my horse and starts riding. Not far behind me is a coach I hadn't seen, so they witness my crime. I tried to rope the driver and hogtie him so he would not report me, but in the meantime other riders come by and see me in action. gently caress it, i'm just gonna shoot them. It works and i think i'm all good.

I start looking for a train and eventually find one but i caught the end of the train. Running along side it with a guy on my horse obviously triggers the guards who start shooting me. I kill them one by one as I move alongside the train, not really paying attention to where we're headed. When I finally managed to pass the train, we come up to a small town and people start freaking out because of the dude on my horse, leaving me no choice but to go on a killing spree.

Why oh why cant we just murder 1 person without going on a murder spree?

In the end i just reloaded :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Had a weird bit of dissonance in Chapter 5/6 with the stranger mission "Do Not Seek Absolution"

Once Arthur came down with TB at the butt end of ch.5 I got it in my head to start finishing off stranger missions, and saw one with Edith Downes was available in Annesburg, so I go do those and set her and her son up with money and they leave town. HOWEVER, the game expects you to do the first mission with Dutch immediately (the one where to change camps and chapters), and this is the mission where you're supposed to notice Edith is in Annesburg. If you're like me and you did her misisons before going to Dutch, you get treated to a cutscene where she's whoring again - presumably the game expects you to see that and then do her quest, not the other way around. So I just kind of ended up with a sour end to that storyline. :/