Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

gonadic io posted:

She's been core for a few leagues, and doesn't really count as a master. I doubt she'll change at all, just keep hanging around in your hideout being all "no idea what happened to the other guys".

"I foresee a betrayal in the future."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cynic Jester posted:

"I foresee a betrayal in the future."

"A tool betrays"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

to run a syndicate, you need a tool...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gonadic io posted:

e: Just Zana, Niko, and Navali looking confused saying "they said something about Wraexit and all stormed out"

lmao.

I don't really understand the prophecy lady. I have 60 silver coins in my stash. :smith:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

e: Just Zana, Niko, and Navali looking confused saying "they said something about Wraexit and all stormed out"

holy moly

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Awesome! posted:

to run a syndicate, you need a tool...

Would you kindly

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A new league is an excuse to take a new character to the most efficient path to making the same exact necromancer build I always do, because I love having little dudes running around blowing poo poo up.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

gently caress Wraixet would have been a way better thread title

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gonadic io posted:

I doubt she'll change at all

she absolutely will change, A Gracious Master was one of the best early prophecies to get

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I ran bladefall traps and it was ok but I also didn't know what I was doing and brute force ssf'd it to 82

oh yeah this includes the 6L I did myself somehow for 6 fuses

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao.

I don't really understand the prophecy lady. I have 60 silver coins in my stash. :smith:

You give her a silver coin in exchange for a prophecy. The prophecies are all good (provided you can kill something like, on the scale of a rare with a ghost in it). Usually they're some flavour of extra mobs, but can be "this master will appear and give you extra reputation", "if you kill the unique dog in act 3 with the dog sword in your inventory it'll turn into the Super Dog Sword", "the next thing you hit with a jewellers orb will just six link", and other such goodies. If you pay her an additional bribe, she'll turn the prophecy into an item which you can buy/sell on the free market.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Can't wait to run GC Miner as my league starter before building that ridiculous 1 hp character that's just meant for exploring Delves invisibly.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Not all prophecies are good, but the ones that aren't can usually be cleared pretty quickly, or sealed for cheap. Some prophecies can be sealed and sold, some prophecies give you a sellable item when cleared. Doing prophecies is a good way to generate a small but pretty stable income, and there's always the chance you get a really good one.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah im doing GC/arc mines to start. Obliterate stuff while people figure out if the new skills are good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dance Officer posted:

Not all prophecies are good

I think he means good as in "give at least some kind of extremely marginal benefit as opposed to some kind of negative effect"

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm seriously considering doing some practice runs to reduce the time it takes me to clear the acts.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I think he means good as in "give at least some kind of extremely marginal benefit as opposed to some kind of negative effect"

Yeah, provided you're at least strong enough to kill like, a tough rare with a ghost inside it without any trouble, I don't think there's any that don't give at least a little bit extra loot.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

so much to unpack with Wraexit

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
At lower levels, do prophecies do anything actually noticeable when you complete them? Because I have done three and never really noticed much happen.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's low level prophecies that give ok upgrades to leveling uniques, and a few that make more rare mobs. Whispers of Doom is a really good low level one, because Doomfletch's Prism is an endgame weapon.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

ToastyPotato posted:

At lower levels, do prophecies do anything actually noticeable when you complete them? Because I have done three and never really noticed much happen.

They literally tell you what the prophecy does. Like sometimes it's just "a ghost pops out of the rare you kill" or "this one has some tornadoes" or "hey you're gonna fight a necromancer" so the "benefit" is just a thing that happens.

But sometimes you get a guy that explodes into currency, or a bloodline pack made out of fusing orbs, or a rogue exile that only wears rares. Just read what a prophecy does. Most of them are duds and any benefit they give is barely noticeable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

They literally tell you what the prophecy does. Like sometimes it's just "a ghost pops out of the rare you kill" or "this one has some tornadoes" or "hey you're gonna fight a necromancer" so the "benefit" is just a thing that happens.

But sometimes you get a guy that explodes into currency, or a bloodline pack made out of fusing orbs, or a rogue exile that only wears rares. Just read what a prophecy does. Most of them are duds and any benefit they give is barely noticeable.

Yeah I looked up the prophecies on the wiki and I guess I just haven't gotten any cool ones. I do have one that does have a noticeable outcome (modifying normal boots will guarantee movement speed) but I haven't done it yet. The other ones I did involved reading a book at a library, killing 2 dudes at a bridge, and some other special mob. But after they died it wasn't like I got some kind of crazy loot.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

The other ones I did involved reading a book at a library

Thank you for supporting your local community.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

she absolutely will change, A Gracious Master was one of the best early prophecies to get

Oh gently caress it didn't click at first, there goes my money maker :smith:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wonder if the player classes are getting new voiced lines as part of the 19 VAs and 40k spoken lines of dialogue.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the most solid starter build?
Overall great
fast-ish
doesn't require respeccing at level 65 or something
budget, at least to get to a decent level

Not looking to do shaper, just like t12s with ease kind of thing. Gonna be moving to ps4 to get some other people into it and i might have to carry some people.

Is aurabot horrible to level?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't level an aurabot.

Anything traps, mines, or totems will fit that bill quite easily.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Arc totem heiro, especially on PS4, don't have to aim.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So in my brief time playing so far and looking around at what people have to say about builds, when people speak to the quality of a build, is safe to assume that most conversations are themselves assuming you are aiming for absolute top level, total endgame performance? I've seen tons of advice against winging it, and how certain builds can't do X content, but seeing as I have no context or knowledge for the endgame in general, it's kind of hard to parse sometimes. Like, I know myself as a player, am incredibly unlikely to ever actually make it to the absolute endgame, highest possible tier content. In Diablo 3, for example, yeah I could get max level every season, and get the full set of gear for my build, but I never really got far enough to min-max the gear out with the best possible modifiers, or get primal ancients, or push Greater Rifts past like the mid 60s, while these builds were typically designed to push 110+. So, how does the endgame really break down from a more casual perspective? I assume there are multiple "tiers" of "things to do" that require increasing amounts of min-maxed gear.

So assuming somewhat casual play, how concerned should I be with build selection if I am just trying to get all my levels in and maybe dabble in some endgame stuff (maps right?) Or do most build guides also include the ability to just get to the endgame period? Basically another way of putting it is, how much of the build advice that floats around actually applies to someone who will never probably reach a point where they are pushing the highest most difficult content in the game?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ButtWolf posted:

What is the most solid starter build?
Overall great
fast-ish
doesn't require respeccing at level 65 or something
budget, at least to get to a decent level

Not looking to do shaper, just like t12s with ease kind of thing. Gonna be moving to ps4 to get some other people into it and i might have to carry some people.

Is aurabot horrible to level?

I ran arc hiero with trash golds until T12. It's pretty straightforward

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

So in my brief time playing so far and looking around at what people have to say about builds, when people speak to the quality of a build, is safe to assume that most conversations are themselves assuming you are aiming for absolute top level, total endgame performance? I've seen tons of advice against winging it, and how certain builds can't do X content, but seeing as I have no context or knowledge for the endgame in general, it's kind of hard to parse sometimes. Like, I know myself as a player, am incredibly unlikely to ever actually make it to the absolute endgame, highest possible tier content. In Diablo 3, for example, yeah I could get max level every season, and get the full set of gear for my build, but I never really got far enough to min-max the gear out with the best possible modifiers, or get primal ancients, or push Greater Rifts past like the mid 60s, while these builds were typically designed to push 110+. So, how does the endgame really break down from a more casual perspective? I assume there are multiple "tiers" of "things to do" that require increasing amounts of min-maxed gear.

So assuming somewhat casual play, how concerned should I be with build selection if I am just trying to get all my levels in and maybe dabble in some endgame stuff (maps right?) Or do most build guides also include the ability to just get to the endgame period? Basically another way of putting it is, how much of the build advice that floats around actually applies to someone who will never probably reach a point where they are pushing the highest most difficult content in the game?

Look for builds with the keywords like "league-starter" "beginner friendly" etc. This usually denotes a build that isn't required to have multiple exalts of gear to function. Most builds can be taken to the extremes and push all content, but for your purposes there are a lot of "cheap" builds that are effective.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Vasudus posted:

I wonder if the player classes are getting new voiced lines as part of the 19 VAs and 40k spoken lines of dialogue.

that'd be a nice surprise but i think they'd have made a bigger deal of that. my bet is PC dialogue gets redone with new player characters (which i assume is coming for 4.0)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jinnigan posted:

that'd be a nice surprise but i think they'd have made a bigger deal of that. my bet is PC dialogue gets redone with new player characters (which i assume is coming for 4.0)

I wonder if there's any chance we get more character classes. It would be cool if there was like, a fourth "faith" stat and healing skills a la Dark Souls, but that would be a huge sea change in the way the game is balanced.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

ToastyPotato posted:

The easiest way to rank end-game builds is what map tier they can breeze through while mostly one-shotting everything. For top-tier builds that's tier 16 maps (at the very end-game you can make any map a tier 16 map, but most players won't get to that point). Most decent builds will be able to breeze through tier 10-11 maps once their unique gear requirements have been met and the rest of their gear slots are filled with ~5c rares from poe.trade to fill holes. These builds can probably complete tier 16 maps but without end game gear it won't necessarily be efficient. A build created by a total newbie without following a guide will probably start to fall apart around tier 6, potentially earlier. "Falling apart" generally means lots of dying which really starts to suck because of the 10% xp loss. They might be dying because they didn't build with enough EHP, they're missing status ailment immunities, they're missing sustain (leech or regen), or they're simply not killing stuff fast enough. Good builds take care of all of those problems.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Still waiting on more info, but this is what I want to try first:

Deadeye
Winter orb / ice spear (cwc or separate links)
Tailwind, pierce, +1 proj/aoe notables
MoM+Acro for defenses, CI if feeling spicy
Scale with crit.

Clear with WO, ice spear for single target. Zoom zoom.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Certainly anything that has a build guide which doesn’t explicitly state “don’t do this if you aren’t rich/don’t know what you’re doing” should allow you to get at least the equivalent of gr 60-70 if you know the basics of your skills and how they’re supposed to work and you know your stat priorities for picking up and enchanting gear. Most of this game is just about not dying. The rest is killing faster to the point of absurdity.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I did my first A10 clear this league with a Freestyle Cyclone build. I just took what I had when I got to level 60, compared it to a build, it was somewhat comprable (except I did not get enough life). I fizzled out on that character after doing some mapping, but I was hooked so I did another lap with a build guide to do mapping much easier.

An unoptimized freestyle build will be able to clear act 10. An optimized build will break the 10 acts over its knee. I wouldnt worry too much.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I wonder if there's any chance we get more character classes. It would be cool if there was like, a fourth "faith" stat and healing skills a la Dark Souls, but that would be a huge sea change in the way the game is balanced.

I wouldn't count on it. You would have to do an absolutely massive rework of the skill tree to place them and it would screw around with a shitload of balance/design themes.

Though maybe, in the distant future, there might be additional ascendancies. That I could see them doing for like a 4.0 deal, adding one per to each base class (for a total of four per) though no idea how they would handle Scion differently, if they bothered.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ToastyPotato posted:

The end game can be several different things these days but once you get to maps I think you'll see the general routine. There are 16 tiers of maps, broken into three categories based on difficulty, white/yellow/red. The goal of end game is run maps of increasing difficulty eventually culminating in a series of boss fights (four guardians and shaper). A distinction that many builds have is whether they are good at mapping (kill and move fast) or bossing (lots of damage/sustain). This isn't a binary distinction but builds usually lean one way or the other.

For a casual player I would say that being able to run yellow maps quickly and safely is a good goal to shoot for with your build. From there you can get money, decent xp and take your time learning the various map mods, doing unique maps when those drop, maybe checking out the side boss content like atziri or elder and just generally working on your gear and refining your character to prepare to take on harder content. This can be a good point to reroll characters too, transitioning from "league-starter" to something that wants a little more currency invested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vasudus posted:

I wouldn't count on it. You would have to do an absolutely massive rework of the skill tree to place them and it would screw around with a shitload of balance/design themes.

Though maybe, in the distant future, there might be additional ascendancies. That I could see them doing for like a 4.0 deal, adding one per to each base class (for a total of four per) though no idea how they would handle Scion differently, if they bothered.

Yeah it's not something I expect, I just think it would be fun.

I'm currently in love with minion builds so the idea of playing like, a holy healer minion class sounds super fun. I know that's sort of a thing now with SHR and Smite and whatnot that they added but alas, it just doesn't scratch that itch the same.