Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's no way the Tories would go into a new GE with her is there?

I was thinking maybe she thinks she can pull a Corbyn and run again, but I'm not really up to speed on the 1922 bollocks.
It would be great if she did then lost out to gove or someone....

e: more bollocks page snipe, 136 is the number of seats lost by the tories in the next GE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

She can’t run in the leadership after a 1922 motion, but nothing is stopping her crushing the saboteurs again and calling a GE.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

waffle posted:

I'd think a leadership challenge knowing that there are no appealing alternative candidates, but who knows, I didn't expect her to want the 2017 snap election so...

IIRC, at first she didn't either, but was eventually persuaded by her advisors that it would crush labour, and give her a mandate for Brexit, and "legitimise" her leadership - ignoring for the moment that we don't elect a leader, as such, but they were looking at Brown, and the reaction to him following after Blair and not calling an election.

I could have got that above all wrong, but vaguely recall reading it in one of the books about the election.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It was mostly the crush labour but also to get rid of the hard-brexiteers' ability to scupper her votes.

And look where that's gotten her lmao

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

From the Tory point of view - if you don't kick May out now, you're left with her till November 2019. Given this deal she just proposed is obviously going to fail... then what do you in say March 2019 when we've either No-Dealed or pulled back from the brink? Get stuck with a lame duck leader for 6 months? Might just be easier to kick her out now, and gamble the dice on getting a better leader in now.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Great news lads, 80% of the British Public back Theresa May's deal.

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1063053958971703296

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Hopefully someone's in her ear again this time about saboteur crushing

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Theresa May was blameless, everything that went wrong with the election was due to the two patsies who we just forced out

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I think this is pretty demonstrative of why Corbyns "strategic ambiguity" was absolutely necessary.

The moment he takes a strong position on it the media narrative would immediately switch to being about Corbyn rather than about Brexit. I can practically see the thoughtful Guardian opeds (Did Corbyn fatally undermine Brexit?) and fair-and-balanced Sun headlines (TRAITOR CORBYN STEALS BREXIT). It would be "Broon spent all the poonds" all over again.

Brexit has to be undeniable shitshow in its own right for there to be any chance of turning it around. I genuinely dont think the Tories would be imploding like this if Labour were vocally anti-Brexit cos theyd have someone to blame besides each other.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Don't Lol me posted:

I was thinking maybe she thinks she can pull a Corbyn and run again, but I'm not really up to speed on the 1922 bollocks.
It would be great if she did then lost out to gove or someone....

e: more bollocks page snipe, 136 is the number of seats lost by the tories in the next GE.

Labour didn't have a formal process for no-confidence on a leader, only for triggering a leadership contest. So the ambiguity was, did he still get to stand in the triggered contest if he wanted? And the answer was yes, since the no-confidence vote didn't mean anything.

Tory party rules are clearer. A certain % of Tory MPs can call a no-confidence vote via the 1922 committee, then it goes to the whole group of tory MPs, if the leader wins continue for a year, if they lose new leadership election, same rules as before.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Sign guy is back on sky news.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Okay I don't want to laugh at a foreign name but CHAMBOUS BARALAMBOUS sounds like a comedy character.
Don't have a tv near, was it Harry Enfield wearing a fake mustache and tanning cream?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Sky news reports chief whip meeting the head of the 1922 committee.

:bisonyes:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
God, I hope this doesn't end up as a trap for Corbs if a GE is called, Brexit is a radioactive hot potato at the moment. If anything it would be better to let Labour Brexiters bail May out just long enough to get it done.

Otherwise Corbyn is going to be blamed by the press for the whole thing because well they have no shame and everyone knows it.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ardennes posted:

God, I hope this doesn't end up as a trap for Corbs if a GE is called, Brexit is a radioactive hot potato at the moment. If anything it would be better to let Labour Brexiters bail May out just long enough to get it done.

Otherwise Corbyn is going to be blamed by the press for the whole thing because well they have no shame and everyone knows it.

Arzy parachute spotted

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Twitter post dump, first something lighthearted

https://twitter.com/AnnPettifor/status/1063059539858210816

Second, Mogg's letter of no confidence

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1063059437047431168

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
hey my local MP is on

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ardennes posted:

If Corbyn wins a GE you can be assured that he'll be pushing through the Leveson recommendations as a high priority.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Next pm just call a 2nd referendum and bask in the public applause even if your party and the daily maol rag on you about it. It’d all be forgotten in a few years once its cancelled.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Haha ERG are useless.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1063061297573646336

The fact they can't get the numbers yet, really shows even if they get over the limit its only going to be 'just' over it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yess walking corpse government until Christmas.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ukle posted:

Haha ERG are useless.

The fact they can't get the numbers yet, really shows even if they get over the limit its only going to be 'just' over it.

:flaccid:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I'm not in favour of the deal obviously, but among the many things I don't get how Brexiteers can state with a straight face can say this isn't a legitimate interpretation of the Leave vote.

Anyone who wanted this deal, or Norway, or Canada+++++ would have had to vote Leave to get it, as Remain meant stay the same. So this is a Leave outcome. If they splutter out that it doesn't meet what they personally wanted out of Brexit, it admits that the Leave vote is a wide array of options without a holding majority. If this can't be read as what Leave meant, why does No Deal mean it, when anyone who wanted this would have voted Leave.

The soundbite I want to catch on is the Bait and Switch Brexit. You promise you can get a Better than Norway deal, and then pretend that all along it was about cutting all ties. It's why they refuse to re-run the vote, because if you qualify that difference, Leave doesn't win.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Rakosi posted:

bask in the public applause

???

Edit: Seriously, have you slept through the last two years somehow?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ukle posted:

Haha ERG are useless.

It's almost like the 1922 Committee is just a carrot they love to wheel out to dumb journalists who love a bit of drama

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Absolutely no one wants to be Tory Leader right now and May refuses to resign or call a GE. Gonna be cool not having a government for a while.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ukle posted:

Haha ERG are useless.

Ah, give them time, if we're still in this situation come bedtime tonight then fair enough.

Rakosi posted:

Next pm just call a 2nd referendum and bask in the public applause even if your party and the daily maol rag on you about it. It’d all be forgotten in a few years once its cancelled.

Honestly at this point it's less likely to be the Mail than the Sun & Times & Telegraph that get mad. Mail has moderated noticeably since Dacre hosed off into the sunset.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
At least Prime Minister Gove might help secure some trade deals with BLUE HADES post-Brexit.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Random Integer posted:

I think this is pretty demonstrative of why Corbyns "strategic ambiguity" was absolutely necessary.

The moment he takes a strong position on it the media narrative would immediately switch to being about Corbyn rather than about Brexit. I can practically see the thoughtful Guardian opeds (Did Corbyn fatally undermine Brexit?) and fair-and-balanced Sun headlines (TRAITOR CORBYN STEALS BREXIT). It would be "Broon spent all the poonds" all over again.

Brexit has to be undeniable shitshow in its own right for there to be any chance of turning it around. I genuinely dont think the Tories would be imploding like this if Labour were vocally anti-Brexit cos theyd have someone to blame besides each other.

American here...

Is there any way for Corbyn to support a new referendum and not undermine himself? I get the impression that he never wanted the UK to be part of the European Union in the first place. How much of Labour is Remain?

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Brony Car posted:

American here...

Is there any way for Corbyn to support a new referendum and not undermine himself? I get the impression that he never wanted the UK to be part of the European Union in the first place. How much of Labour is Remain?

The labour membership is solidly remain but the labour voting block is marginally leave.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

ukle posted:

Haha ERG are useless.

They definitely have the numbers to trigger it but don't have the votes to force May out when she inevitably fights the challenge. If she survives, they can't challenge her again for another year and her position is strengthened. Has to make more sense from their perspective to have deal inevitably fail in Parliament and attempt to install a True Brexit Believer in the aftermath.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

madey posted:

The labour membership is solidly remain but the labour voting block is marginally leave.

No it isn't. Two thirds of Labour voters in 2017 backed Remain.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Potentially some good news

https://twitter.com/isaby/status/1063059121673588736

God, one of the most staggeringly incompetent Ministers this country has had, across a number of briefs, from Justice to Leader of the House & now at Transport. Somehow the bumbling oaf has been either a Minister or Shadow Minister since 2005, since Michael Howard was Tory leader. loving hell. And we could be rid of him at last.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1063044817184309248

And I guess this means May is doomed now, she's gotten the Dan Hodges seal of approval.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 15, 2018

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

madey posted:

That's sounds horrible. Under 35s are solidly Remain, right?

Is a Second Referendum just a pipe dream? Or do pro-Remain people still need more time to make the case for just forgetting this all happened?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

American here...

Most of Labour's membership voted to remain, many of its constituencies voted to leave, and a lot of time has been spent since the vote by the party leadership talking up all the cool investment they'd be able to do once we left (not necessarily with any eye on reality) and thusfar very little has been spent on saying what they would do to make postindustrial towns less poo poo if we stayed in because until just before summer actually leaving seemed very likely whereas now with a whole 4 1/2 months left until we leave it's up in their air again.

Unless Labour can put forward some kind of plausible sounding strategy that would make northern towns less desolate, the people there are still not going to want to hear it, and the leadership being a bunch of Londoners doesn't help with this.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's an... interesting political move by May/her people - if he turns it down and quits it gives them an instant attack line of "So you disagree but are unwilling to help make something better?". If he takes it there's not really an opportunity for him to quit until after the transition deal is done, and as that'll never match up to the unicorn poo poo he's been espousing he'll be completely neutered.

nah. he can turn it down on the grounds that the last 2 dexeu ministers have quit because May wouldn't let them actually do that job. no reason to assume the third would be given any more freedom.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Im starting to think i would be better at the job than these dumbos. How do i become a minister?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

jBrereton posted:

Most of Labour's membership voted to remain, many of its constituencies voted to leave, and a lot of time has been spent since the vote by the party leadership talking up all the cool investment they'd be able to do once we left (not necessarily with any eye on reality) and thusfar very little has been spent on saying what they would do to make postindustrial towns less poo poo if we stayed in because until just before summer actually leaving seemed very likely whereas now with a whole 4 1/2 months left until we leave it's up in their air again.

Unless Labour can put forward some kind of plausible sounding strategy that would make northern towns less desolate, the people there are still not going to want to hear it, and the leadership being a bunch of Londoners doesn't help with this.

So in places like Sunderland, Leave is still a popular idea?

I know Liverpool ended up going for Remain.

I don't know how Leave helps the north.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1063061390179614721

gove's staying put at defra, which i guess means he's out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Rakosi posted:

Im starting to think i would be better at the job than these dumbos. How do i become a minister?
join your clp and labour groups and entwine yourself with the party apparatus