Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

Is buying horse a good way to store savings? If the value of the dollar gets cut in half I can buy twice as many horses then, right?

Sure! It can provide transportation, companionship, housing (ever seen Empire Strikes Back?) and eventually, glue! You'd have to be a foal to not invest in a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Is buying gold a good way to store savings

"What if the value of the US dollar gets cut in half?????????????????????????????????????????????????"

Why do all the apocalypse-weirdos think that gold is going to have any value if currency has none? I imagine that in the event of a worldwide disaster, toilet paper is going to be the new gold.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Gold will have value only because that's the first thing that'll have value again when society rebuilds.

If society never rebuilds, well...

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
As wacko as they are people who hoard things like food and bullets have a significant edge over people who hoard gold because those are things that may actually have value in an apocalypse.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

wilderthanmild posted:

As wacko as they are people who hoard things like food and bullets have a significant edge over people who hoard gold because those are things that may actually have value in an apocalypse.

Por que no los dos? tres?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Por que no los dos? tres?

True diversification is hoarding, food, water, bullets, guns, gold, and gasoline.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

April posted:

Why do all the apocalypse-weirdos think that gold is going to have any value if currency has none? I imagine that in the event of a worldwide disaster, toilet paper is going to be the new gold.

Because the US and Europe used gold for currency for a long time and these idiots think we'll revert right back to that once society collapses. Instead, we'll be trading bullets or some poo poo.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

sale on Banksy art posted:

$2000 a year to use someone's image is not outrageous

Ah yes, $2k a year for a photo of your kid seems reasonable to me, said the out of touch person.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

Ah yes, $2k a year for a photo of your kid seems reasonable to me, said the out of touch person.

Well, a good looking kid...maybe.

Your kid looks like a troll doll then the IRS is going to object unless you're selling actual troll dolls.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

April posted:

They all think that their world will turn into a libertarian fantasy pre feudal society instead of Mad Max. They'll be the yeoman farmer, living off the land and trading in town, not dead, enslaved, or press ganged into someone's militia. In such a world, where gold has use, having a lot of it means quite a bit!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Grandma borrowed money and paid back $18k to her friend. Now they come to me asking for $28k in interest. I don't know what to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9xa4nt/grandma_borrowed_money_and_paid_back_18k_to_her/

quote:

Hi all, TLDR at the bottom.

First off I (20yrs old) am not entirely sure whether this is legal or not. In 2003, my grandma had helped out this lady (calling her Karen) to go borrow some money from an owner of a jewellery store. So this is not a bank, no written contract, no nothing. Karen had borrowed $18,000, agreed to pay the interest, then fled the state once she had the money.

In this case, they told my grandma she had to pay off the 18k which my grandma agreed to. However, she said it would take a long time seeing that she is unemployed (71 yrs old at the time). My grandma had just paid off the money last week. So, the lender had just approached my family about this issue (which we literally had no idea about) and told us that because of interest- my grandma owes another $28,000. Her reasoning is "To let you borrow $18,000 back then, I sold gold bars. Now those gold bars are worth $2000 each, so I am not going to accept only the $18,000. The interest included over the years totals to $28,000 that you have to pay up." My grandma (extremely stubborn) gives no fkeroos and is totally against paying it since she was already generous enough to pay for Karen who ran off with the money.

My mother understands the situation and is willing to pay the interest money; as she doesn't want the family to have a bad name. However, my mum only works 1 day a week and I'm a full-time student so we don't have this kind of money to pay off.

TLDR; grandma brought her friend (A) to borrow money from another friend. Friend (A) ran off with the money, so my grandma agreed to pay it off. Now, 15 years later, my grandma had just managed to pay the $18k off, but now they said that she owes $28k in interest.

I honestly have no idea what to do legally & morally. I am willing to pay however, I would like some advice on whether I have to pay the total amount or come to a compromise. We're from Australia if that helps. Thank you for any advice!

This is quite the scam.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Inept posted:

How much could one banana cost, Michael. Ten dollars?

Volmarias posted:

They all think that their world will turn into a libertarian fantasy pre feudal society instead of Mad Max. They'll be the yeoman farmer, living off the land and trading in town, not dead, enslaved, or press ganged into someone's militia. In such a world, where gold has use, having a lot of it means quite a bit!
This is always my favorite assumption made by the doomsday types. It doesn't even line up with real history! Peasant farmers were getting conscripted into every war within a 10 mile radius and taxed to poo poo by whichever local lord or baron ended up on top.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 15, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hoodwinker posted:

This is always my favorite assumption made by the doomsday types. It doesn't even line up with real history! Peasant farmers were getting conscripted into every war within a 10 mile radius and taxed to poo poo by whichever local lord or baron ended up on top.

Lol that they think they'll be that one guy playing Skyrim like it's loving stardew valley

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

Anyone with a hoard of resources is also an immediate target to everyone else.

"HEY! That guy over there doesn't look starving. Let's go check it out." says literally everyone in the new Ohio Wastelands (different from the old Ohio Wastelands). You may have more bullets than they have bodies, but good luck delivering all those bullets into all those bodies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

People also think that gold is a good idea because it does have useful value when your country collapses. Like if you wanted to flee Somalia in 1991, you would do reasonably well to buy a bunch of gold (or silver, etc) with your local currency, and carry that when you make the run for the border. It's not a bad idea because no one outside the country is going to want your currency, you can carry precious metals fairly easily and discretely, and they can be exchanged basically anywhere in the world - or given directly to border guards/guides as payment and bribes, because they can convert them more easily than bundles of notes. You can also use gold to avoid things like a localized collapse of your banking system or devaluation in the currency and hope to ride it out until things recover with more of your wealth preserved.

The problem is that this only really works when you are experiencing a localized collapse and there is a stable, functional nation nearby for you to flee to. When your country is a world leader and it's currency is the world reserve currency, that gets a lot less reliable. Also, most of the people hoarding gold don't actually plan to flee to Canada in a refugee caravan, they have vague notion that they'll be able to use gold to trade or buy; they won't, it's only useful if the country rebounds and people actually want to start trading precious metals again. Until then it's dead weight.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Ashcans posted:

People also think that gold is a good idea because it does have useful value when your country collapses. Like if you wanted to flee Somalia in 1991, you would do reasonably well to buy a bunch of gold (or silver, etc) with your local currency, and carry that when you make the run for the border. It's not a bad idea because no one outside the country is going to want your currency, you can carry precious metals fairly easily and discretely, and they can be exchanged basically anywhere in the world - or given directly to border guards/guides as payment and bribes, because they can convert them more easily than bundles of notes. You can also use gold to avoid things like a localized collapse of your banking system or devaluation in the currency and hope to ride it out until things recover with more of your wealth preserved.

The problem is that this only really works when you are experiencing a localized collapse and there is a stable, functional nation nearby for you to flee to. When your country is a world leader and it's currency is the world reserve currency, that gets a lot less reliable. Also, most of the people hoarding gold don't actually plan to flee to Canada in a refugee caravan, they have vague notion that they'll be able to use gold to trade or buy; they won't, it's only useful if the country rebounds and people actually want to start trading precious metals again. Until then it's dead weight.

You know I hate to say it but BTC makes a vastly better vehicle for the first kind of case than does bullion in 2018. Not that I'm ever going to touch the poop again.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Lockback posted:

Grandma borrowed money and paid back $18k to her friend. Now they come to me asking for $28k in interest. I don't know what to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9xa4nt/grandma_borrowed_money_and_paid_back_18k_to_her/

This is quite the scam.

Why the gently caress would any of them be willing to pay money back when there was no contract and it was lent to someone else?? I am very confused

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

if society collapses you're going to need healthy social relationships more than material goods. independence is a modern luxury but for some reason it carries over into every prepper fantasy.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

FAUXTON posted:

Lol that they think they'll be that one guy playing Skyrim like it's loving stardew valley

link please

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CornHolio posted:

Sure! It can provide transportation, companionship, housing (ever seen Empire Strikes Back?) and eventually, glue! You'd have to be a foal to not invest in a horse.

You guys update your cultural references, cuz they used actual horses for heat in The Revenant.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Inept posted:

$166 a month to hire a model for a series of rotating photos.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm just saying that if TEOTWAWKI turns out to be graboids a lot of you are gonna wish you had a stash of guns and dynamite in a mountain fortress surrounded by bare granite.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Gold has retained it's value in every societal collapse I can think of, it's a pretty good bet that it will in the next one too imo. That said I'm not stockpiling any because I don't think the world is about to end.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Gold has retained it's value in every societal collapse I can think of, it's a pretty good bet that it will in the next one too imo. That said I'm not stockpiling any because I don't think the world is about to end.
If by "retained it's[sic] value" you mean it has tracked worse than inflation, then, yes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't have to appreciate or retain it's value, it just has to not collapse at the same rate as everything else.

Kind of like how Greeks were buying used Mercedes cars during their financial crisis. They needed a place to park Euros in case Greece suddenly exited the shared currency. Those cars were terrible investments, but they were superior to anything else available. Gold is similar in a time of crisis.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Hoodwinker posted:

If by "retained it's[sic] value" you mean it has tracked worse than inflation, then, yes.

I'm pretty sure gold beat inflation in, say, Weimar Germany or in the CSA in 1864. You're basically complaining that a fire extinguisher won't appreciate in value as fast as VOO though, that's not the point.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fair points. As a hedge against the American Dollar collapsing though it seems like kind of a poo poo move. We're proper hosed if it comes to that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

Fair points. As a hedge against the American Dollar collapsing though it seems like kind of a poo poo move. We're proper hosed if it comes to that.

If our economy collapses to that point, guns, ammo, clean water, and canned food are going to be way more valuable than gold.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Excuse me, I have seen The Postman, so I believe that my breeding horses will be in very high demand!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Excuse me, I have seen The Postman, so I believe that my breeding horses will be in very high demand!

Should have breed more Tom Pettys instead of more horses.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Nocheez posted:

If our economy collapses to that point, guns, ammo, clean water, and canned food are going to be way more valuable than gold.

Water and food are difficult to store in large amounts. Gold is rare, easily concealable and compact which is why it has been used as a store of value by almost every civilization that had access to it. It's not at all unreasonable to think that gold would still be worth something since it has worked that way in almost every economic collapse so far.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to get a horse. It's the best investment because when we revert to an exact copy of the middle ages I can be in my fuedal Lord's cavalry instead of the infantry.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Water and food are difficult to store in large amounts. Gold is rare, easily concealable and compact which is why it has been used as a store of value by almost every civilization that had access to it. It's not at all unreasonable to think that gold would still be worth something since it has worked that way in almost every economic collapse so far.

It's the BWM thread, go right on ahead and put all your savings into gold bars. We won't be around to point and laugh after the collapse of society, so I guess we'll have to do it now :shrug:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I think the only potential argument I could make for gold is that it's a physical asset that's slightly harder to destroy than dollar bills. Even if it melts you can still recover a lot of it! :v:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

I think the only potential argument I could make for gold is that it's a physical asset that's slightly harder to destroy than dollar bills. Even if it melts you can still recover a lot of it! :v:

its also harder to completely invalidate, you gotta find huge new deposits

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Stockpiling gold is bwm because society probably won't collapse, not because gold would be useless if it did. I don't own any gold.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My old boss used to say "My neighbor is a prepper. He's storing all the food and supplies, so why do I have to? I've got the guns. First thing I'm doing is going next door and taking everything I need." GWDoomsday

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you are going to stockpile things for the end times, antibiotics, aspirin, things that are essential but difficult to produce without infrastructure. I don't know if the shelf life is good on those things though.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Prepper stockpiles are GWL because you can show your friends your cool stuff without having your wife and kids around to distract from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm under the impression that most medication has a really long shelf life. A quick Google search turns up results claiming they are good for decades, but may begin to lose potency after the expiration date.

The currency of the future is headache medicine. Invest now!