Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
protip: you can hold V (or whatever you have your third person switch bound to) for a second when you transition to go into a wider angle view rather than the over the shoulder view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I miss being able to change my POV with the mouse wheel, feels real janky without it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tei posted:

FNV is only the best Fallout for grognards and people that like storytelling and player agenda. At the time of release a lot of people loved Fallout 3 more. The community was divided between Fallout 3 and FNV fans.

New Vegas made me feel like I had major agency and the main quest wasn’t some obnoxious gatekeeper slog I had to get through just so I could have fun with the game.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Escobarbarian posted:

But I was someone who was very letdown by 4 compared to New Vegas

Fallout 76 is essentially a Fallout 4 expansion with multiplayer. If you enjoyed the mechanics and updated gunplay of 4 then you'll enjoy 76. I've played it strictly as a solo game and haven't been bothered with the multiplayer aspect at all.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Escobarbarian posted:

I was so comfortable with not getting this game but now it’s half price on cdkeys I’m actually quite tempted. But I was someone who was very letdown by 4 compared to New Vegas and am not sure I have people to play with - it feels like the discourse I read is split 50/50 on “this is better alone” vs “don’t even bother trying to play without others” - but honestly there’s enough there just with the idea of exploring a new Fallout map to get me interested, as there’s apparently still a lot of readable lore and such. But maybe I’m just being weirdly FOMO about it, I dunno. Would love to hear more thoughts from people, especially those who maybe aren’t loving it right now :)

Where is this game 30 bux?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Tei posted:

FNV is only the best Fallout for grognards and people that like storytelling and player agenda.

Also known as "Fallout fans" in the ancient days

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I loved Alpha Protocol, and the reviews of the game made me physically angry.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Tei posted:

I loved Alpha Protocol, and the reviews of the game made me physically angry.

That game kicked rear end

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

Where is this game 30 bux?

it's not, as far as i can tell

cdkeys says they have it for $45

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas has an immense amount of content and one of the largest arsenals I have seen in a video game.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

New Vegas made me feel like I had major agency and the main quest wasn’t some obnoxious gatekeeper slog I had to get through just so I could have fun with the game.
NV had a great story and characters that spoiled me for other games including Fallout 3, but 3 had much more satisfying random exploration combined with a better loot grind. (Referring to Vanilla FNV before the DLCs). There's a reason that the A World of Pain mod for FNV was very popular.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

boar guy posted:

it's not, as far as i can tell

cdkeys says they have it for $45

Ah, the guy is prob from Romania or somewhere that gets deep price cuts.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tei posted:

FNV is only the best Fallout for grognards and people that like storytelling and player agenda. At the time of release a lot of people loved Fallout 3 more. The community was divided between Fallout 3 and FNV fans.

Keep in mind this is Tei posting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-76-pc-cd-key EU version

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-76-pc-aus-nz-cd-key AUS/NZ

US I just checked and they’re sold out and it was only a third off anyway :( sorry folks

I’m a Brit btw so the top one is £28.99 down from £59.99

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Keep in mind this is Tei posting.

I am a huge Obsidian fan, but my bias is not showing. I think.

If somebody want to love Fallout 3 more than FNV, thats okay.

At least is not Oblivion vs Morrowind.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Roman posted:

NV had a great story and characters that spoiled me for other games including Fallout 3, but 3 had much more satisfying random exploration combined with a better loot grind. (Referring to Vanilla FNV before the DLCs). There's a reason that the A World of Pain mod for FNV was very popular.

People always say this and I have no idea how they can think this. Fallout 3 had the worst open world I've ever played in, every location was garbage with terrible scaled loot and enemies and every town was nothing but garbage writing.

NV every location was neat, the map was varied and could be landmark navigated, enemy variety was higher, gear was far more rewarding and every town had great writing.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

it's pretty fun destroying people's camps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Roman posted:

Which is sad because AWOP is terrible. Interiors Project is better and apart from the obnoxious scavenger hunts much less intrusive.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Weed Wolf posted:

drat this game visually looks like hot garbage

yeah iv been thinking that every time i see it

"how about we get rid of all the story and modding opportunities and just unleash the players in the worlds most powerful engine: gamebryo"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Escobarbarian posted:

I was so comfortable with not getting this game but now it’s half price on cdkeys I’m actually quite tempted. But I was someone who was very letdown by 4 compared to New Vegas and am not sure I have people to play with - it feels like the discourse I read is split 50/50 on “this is better alone” vs “don’t even bother trying to play without others” - but honestly there’s enough there just with the idea of exploring a new Fallout map to get me interested, as there’s apparently still a lot of readable lore and such. But maybe I’m just being weirdly FOMO about it, I dunno. Would love to hear more thoughts from people, especially those who maybe aren’t loving it right now :)

You can go solo, but the later bullet sponge enemies and the amount of damage they do make it so later game is a serious grind without a buddy or two.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

solo to fifty, then team up imho

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is sad because AWOP is terrible. Interiors Project is better and apart from the obnoxious scavenger hunts much less intrusive.

The fact that anyone can recommend awop or momod makes me wonder if we played the same grindy mess. Awop experience: enter a sewer and find a 10mm Handgun G thats like a regular 10mm but does triple the damage. Why

:shrug:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I didn't like my first 4 hours or so with FNV because of the Chief Hanlon quest. The payoff of that quest was great, but BEFORE that it was walking to 3 different boring places and not even encountering any enemies along the way except for a few giant mantises. Everything else was going into barren buildings and not finding any good loot or many enemies. I was used to Fallout 3 which throws a whole bunch of poo poo at you the moment you walk out of the vault, while FNV takes longer to get its hooks in.

Basically I didn't like FNV at first because it wasn't Fallout 3, and then I loved FNV because it wasn't Fallout 3

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

b0red posted:

it's pretty fun destroying people's camps.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

A Sometimes Food posted:

People always say this and I have no idea how they can think this. Fallout 3 had the worst open world I've ever played in, every location was garbage with terrible scaled loot and enemies and every town was nothing but garbage writing.

NV every location was neat, the map was varied and could be landmark navigated, enemy variety was higher, gear was far more rewarding and every town had great writing.

NV was terrible in this regard and had an awful and boring world. You played it for characters and story, nothing else.

I liked Fallout 3 simply because it was more atmospheric to delve into a dead subway and fight raiders who had set up camp in some hole somewhere. It got repetitive but it was great the first time around imo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have a sneaking suspicion that nobody actually played AWOP. They just kept putting it on mod lists because it was the only quest mod worth a poo poo, aside from the Bounties which also sucked but everyone kept downloading for some reason..

Collapsing Farts posted:

NV was terrible in this regard and had an awful and boring world. You played it for characters and story, nothing else.

I could not possibly disagree more. And the fact that you think Fallout 3 somehow has a leg up is just confusing as gently caress. When did everyone start remembering Fallout 3 fondly? In New Vegas, every named area has a piece of unique loot to be found in it. There are tons of areas that are unconnected to the main story.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 15, 2018

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

The fact that anyone can recommend awop or momod makes me wonder if we played the same grindy mess. Awop experience: enter a sewer and find a 10mm Handgun G thats like a regular 10mm but does triple the damage. Why
:shrug:
My issue with AWOP was that every individual enemy in it was carrying 3X the loot you would find in an entire vanilla dungeon. The mod creator was like "then don't pick it up lol" but eventually made a "light loot" version

But after some of the barren locations in vanilla FNV, it was silly fun going into a hotel chock full of super mutants like you're playing DOOM

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

*loads up FNV and looks at the barren desert scape. A gecko full on retard runs at you.*

FNV however, did have an excellent mod scene.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

i feel like the map is big enough to have 50-75 players. although it would probably lag to all hell if everyone came together. i really just want camp warfare.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
I usually just play solo but once and a while there will be some cool interactions with other players. Last night I was digging through some building looking for garbage and an event started. Kill three waves of those Chinese propeller drones. Got to the second wave before breaking every weapon I had. Used an unarmed bobblehead and was about to go down swinging until 2 guys with working weapons showed up and we barely lived through it. Actually used a stimpack on some guy I'll never see again and it felt good.

Probably will make a new char since I picked a lot of skills that aren't that great. Got lvl 2 in lead belly and while its great that eating and drinking barely moves the rad meter, but I have so many radaways on hand now that it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Roman posted:

I didn't like my first 4 hours or so with FNV because of the Chief Hanlon quest. The payoff of that quest was great, but BEFORE that it was walking to 3 different boring places and not even encountering any enemies along the way except for a few giant mantises. Everything else was going into barren buildings and not finding any good loot or many enemies. I was used to Fallout 3 which throws a whole bunch of poo poo at you the moment you walk out of the vault, while FNV takes longer to get its hooks in.

Basically I didn't like FNV at first because it wasn't Fallout 3, and then I loved FNV because it wasn't Fallout 3

If you found the chief Hanlon quest and subsequently completed it in only your first 4 hours of NV then you skipped a LOT of poo poo along the way

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
i have not had a lot of fun playing with or without friends. i've had some fun, but more not fun than fun.

Fun:
- questing
- barbed wire bats being more powerful than shotguns
- base building

Not fun:
- load times
- event time/event rewards
- stupid holo tape quest stuff
- requiring each team member to activate the terminal to do a thing to progress to the next part of a quest
- barbed wire bats being more powerful than shotguns
- paying to fast travel, yes i am aware of CAMPing
- everything to do with pvp and the damage reduction and potential nuisance interactions

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

A Sometimes Food posted:

The Republic of Dave, the old wise tree, cave of children, NV locations outside of the story were garbage in comparison.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the way New Vegas's map was laid out but it did have some deficiencies that you can't discount. Gamebryo is loving awful with draw distances and the Mojave has a lot of flat desert terrain so it sticks out like a sore thumb. It wasn't much better in fallout 3 but there were more hills to hide distant terrain, something which Bethesda only improved on with Skyrim and all the different elevations on that map to hide the lovely distant lod models.

FlimFlam Imam posted:

The Republic of Dave, the old wise tree, cave of children, NV locations outside of the story were garbage in comparison.

Good thing most of the areas were related to the story then, huh?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlimFlam Imam posted:

None of that made any god drat sense lol. Buncha nonsequitor npcs that really really stretch your suspension of disbelief if you have a pulse.

Im glad the current fallout, the 76th, moved away from trash like 'gary vault'

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

None of that made any god drat sense lol. Buncha nonsequitor npcs that really really stretch your suspension of disbelief if you have a pulse.

Fallout 2 was that way honestly as well. Fallout 1 was pretty serious but with many jokes, fallout 2 and 3 were silly silly silly all the time then NV hit back to the tone of 1 and four hit the tone of "we are a serious plot" but with like, remnants of wanting to have silly things too?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fallout 2 was that way honestly as well. Fallout 1 was pretty serious but with many jokes, fallout 2 and 3 were silly silly silly all the time then NV hit back to the tone of 1 and four hit the tone of "we are a serious plot" but with like, remnants of wanting to have silly things too?

Noted non silly thing, FISTO

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

To be fair, FISTO is an aftermarket sex bot cooked up by some guy running a flea market. Also Wild Wasteland let you have the best of both worlds with things like Hell's Grannies after you get your sexbot oiled up and ready.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 15, 2018

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
After playing it a few hours last night: It’s a full game of the part of Fallout 4 where you’d go into a ruined town, get rushed by a group of ghouls, and scrounge around for guns and anything and everything that might let you upgrade those guns.

Which was the part I liked, so I’m having fun, minus the parts where the game engine shits itself and everything looks like I’m looking at it through intensely smudged up glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wife and I made our first humble abode last night

And one of our friends found a heated pitchfork in a supply drop! Looks badass at night.

edit: Is there somewhere I can read about camp destruction? Like can someone straight-up destroy the buildings that we create?