Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Wow this is all a really weird look back through a portal to 2004 when this game was actual trash for people who hated themselves but none of us knew any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Male of the Century posted:

Wow this is all a really weird look back through a portal to 2004 when this game was actual trash for people who hated themselves but none of us knew any better.

Lol if you don't hate yourself in a deeply sincere way, just lol

Anyway, a famous streamer has apparently been streaming Nasomi all week again, and last night he had like 30k viewers for hours at a time. The admin keeps making cryptic posts about how Nasomi isn't going anywhere but like with that kind of high profile and the server hosted in the US I feel confident he's going to get a C&D letter fairly soon. Just like Nostalrius

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Male of the Century posted:

Im trash.

Also If any players need help getting a job or unlocking subjob I can usually help just ask in the Discord.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
WoW had a vested interested in killing private servers because they were all "vanilla" style and they were making their own they are charging for, FFXI has a vested interest in leveraging what other people are doing to keep the audience playing this dead game for as long as they can because there's no resources being allocated to anything other than life support for their retail product.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Speaking of private servers, I just joined Nightbrood and I was hoping I could get some help creating my lvl75 character since I barely remember what 75 gear was good. You can pick any job and subjob except rune and geo along with 10 items of your choice with some caveats:

NO RELIC/Mythic
No Kraken Club, Maat’s Cap, Defending Ring, Sea Gorgets, Sea Obi’s
No items from Absolute Virtue, nor Salvage gear of any kind.

I was thinking about going thf/dnc since that's what I was playing when retail was still capped at 75, but I'm open to other jobs, especially if there's a broken job you could build with 10 free items @75.

So, you guys have any suggestions?

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 16, 2018

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
no idea what layer of hell you're stuck in on that server, but a monkey necklace for TP gen before combat might be a decent investment. movespeed of some kind would also probably be a good idea, ninja shoes or something.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
It seems ok so far. There's a bunch of quality of life improvements implemented like movement speed, xp gain, skill gain, gil gain, hp teleport, all outpost warps, explorer warps, lvl 75 and 5mil gil to start, etc... I Haven't interacted with the community yet so we'll see how that goes, but it seems like a good deal for casual FFXI nostalgia without the massive timesink.

But yeah I really can't decide how I'm going to build out my 75. It can be literally any gear except some broken poo poo like Kraken. I seem to remember Ridil RDMs being OP as all get out, but it's really hard to remember what all was really good back in the day, and I really don't want to pick out some subpar gear on a subpar job then be like "poo poo, I had such better options and am a dumbass"

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 16, 2018

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rape Stink posted:

It seems ok so far. There's a bunch of quality of life improvements implemented like movement speed, xp gain, skill gain, gil gain, hp teleport, all outpost warps, explorer warps, lvl 75 and 5mil gil to start, etc... I Haven't interacted with the community yet so we'll see how that goes, but it seems like a good deal for casual FFXI nostalgia without the massive timesink.

But yeah I really can't decide how I'm going to build out my 75. It can be literally any gear except some broken poo poo like Kraken. I seem to remember Ridil RDMs being OP as all get out, but it's really hard to remember what all was really good back in the day, and I really don't want to pick out some subpar gear on a subpar job then be like "poo poo, I had such better options and am a dumbass"

What do you want to do? If you want to kill hms and wyrms and he useful go bard or pld and load up with Koenig. Ridill was good on warrior/nin. For cp farms. Look at what the kings/wyrms drop and grab those items imo.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hit BRD 25 and unlocked BST, I think I should probably get WHM/BLM to 20 for subbing too. This game has that inertia thing, where one thing keeps implying a bunch of other things - for BRD I need NIN, for NIN I need gil, for gil I need to farm, for farming I need BST, and so on until eight months from now I might have a monster signa

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hit 15 BST last night, gonna go back to Qufim and try to get BRD to 30. My plan for BST is to level it behind my main class for farming purposes - I went from 1-10 in the mines and got like 2k worth of nonsense, then 10-15 in the fumaroles for like 10k in landcrab meat and beehive chip.

What I'm wondering is where would y'all recommend farming as a solo BST in particular? Anywhere I can make a decent amount in like, a not mind bending amount of time? Otherwise I was told I could do fishing and get close to 90 in "five or six hours a day for a week or so"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Nasomi sounds awful, why would you do that to yourself

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kazy posted:

Nasomi sounds awful, why would you do that to yourself

Its cheaper than paying someone to beat me up and give me noogies once a week

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
One of those big twitch dudes was playing on Nasomi last night. Ninja.

Server will probably get flooded by a million fortnite children.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah there seem to be a lot of confused people who are younger than the game itself running aimlessly around North Gustaberg, and Valkurm Dunes has been consecutively setting server records. Overall population has grown too, typically around 800 at off times and 1300 at peak, give or take a hundred

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
All this private server talk is giving me PTSD flashbacks why would you do this to yourself? In the time it's taking you to get BRD to level 30 you could have gotten it to 99 with all subs leveled and soloed Zilart and CoP with your wacky gang of Trusts.

I know because I did just this. BRD/DNC fo lyfe.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

WarMECH posted:

All this private server talk is giving me PTSD flashbacks why would you do this to yourself? In the time it's taking you to get BRD to level 30 you could have gotten it to 99 with all subs leveled and soloed Zilart and CoP with your wacky gang of Trusts.

That sounds awful.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

WarMECH posted:

Honestly I'm having fun with the community and the feeling of accomplishment that comes from finishing some self-set goal within the enormous body of content in FFXI. It's cool to relive a vibrant server from this era with lots of other players for me personally, despite changes in general game design over the years.

I don't find the retail game very appealing from what I've seen about the emphasis on gear collection, missions, etc. it seems fine for what it is and the logical evolution of the game but I have the free time right now, and there aren't any other MMOs that replicate the group dynamic or gear system that FFXI had in this period.

I get the whole lol it's dumb and masochistic thing but it's no worse than project 1999. I'd almost argue it's less punishing, leveling on Nasomi has been a lot faster and easier than leveling my Shaman on P1999 was. I'm sure I'll burn out eventually but until then I'm honestly having fun fulfilling some boyhood goals

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

WarMECH posted:

I mean, the point of playing games isn't to have some numbers go up in a database.

The point theoretically is to enjoy yourself or feel some sort of emotion. I've never played retail, but just because it's faster doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

PriNGLeS posted:

One of those big twitch dudes was playing on Nasomi last night. Ninja.

Server will probably get flooded by a million fortnite children.

This has been drawing a lot of attention to Nasomi. I've seen his stream over 30,000 viewers.

Given SE's latest FFXI marketing push, I wouldn't be shocked if this spurred SE into shutting Nasomi down.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

keep it down up there! posted:

This has been drawing a lot of attention to Nasomi. I've seen his stream over 30,000 viewers.

Given SE's latest FFXI marketing push, I wouldn't be shocked if this spurred SE into shutting Nasomi down.

I would say SE has to shut it down out of an obligation to prevent self harm.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I've been concerned about Nasomi getting shut down, everyone on here is dismissive and the admin insists he has some system that absolutely means it won't get a C&D, but I can't imagine what that could possibly be since the server is on the East Coast of the US. That and the capricious bans / regular private server nonsense are both slightly worrying.

I'm probably gonna grab retail while its on sale for $10 as a contingency plan, since they managed to retrieve my POL account from 2004.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
The Nightbrood server has a bunch of big quality of life improvements like hp teles, higher xp and skill up rates, much better gil drops, 2.5x walking speed, full Ah and Ah buyback, starting with one job at 75, starting with 5mil gil, starting with one set of good gear, and a bunch of other stuff with the exception of trusts and mounts. This way you can just jump right into fighting Gods and doing sea/sky/dynamis runs like it's 2007 again. There's usually 30-50 people on at any given time, and everyone on the server is in one big linkshell. It's the full nostalgic feeling of ffxi without having to grind up from nothing, or having to go back to retail only to be forced to gear up for months because no one wants anyone who isn't REMA in their N ambuscade. Not to mention the fact that the community is much smaller, and as a result much less toxic than current retail.

But yeah, it'll probably get shut down

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I was into that but I never actually got a character to 75, so I really want to experience the zones as they were with other people while I have the time and there are players. Also, holy heck, I need a third account for a store in order to buy the seekers edition, which needed my password which I forgot cus it was saved, which requires a security question even with the link, which I forgot. So I couldn't buy it and had to email square support again

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Isn't FFXI mobile version a thing that should be coming out within the next year or so? Would perhaps give them enough reason to crack down on private servers if so.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, but it is almost 100% likely FFXI mobile will be basically a completely different game with a tenuous at best relationship to the existing PC servers. It definitely will not allow people to play retail as it is from their phones, most people think its going to be some kind of weird spin off.

But it could still convince square a C&D is worth it, calculating the awareness of the retail game via nasomi might not be worth it anymore

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SerCypher posted:

I mean, the point of playing games isn't to have some numbers go up in a database.

The point theoretically is to enjoy yourself or feel some sort of emotion. I've never played retail, but just because it's faster doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
Mindlessly grinding to the level cap sounds completely awful and lacking in emotion. Think retail has it right, there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Frog Act posted:

and the admin insists he has some system that absolutely means it won't get a C&D

Haha

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Frog Act posted:

the admin insists he has some system that absolutely means it won't get a C&D

They're not just doomed, they're a new form of doomed, some kind of ascended doomed.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Resubbing after nearly 2.5 years because I've got some IRL friends who are getting into XI after being sort of meh on XIV until Shadowbringers. I'm assuming Ambuscade is something I can run relatively painlessly to start getting back up to speed, or should I go back to refocusing on Escha NMs for stuff?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

Resubbing after nearly 2.5 years because I've got some IRL friends who are getting into XI after being sort of meh on XIV until Shadowbringers. I'm assuming Ambuscade is something I can run relatively painlessly to start getting back up to speed, or should I go back to refocusing on Escha NMs for stuff?

VE/E shouldn't be too bad if you're at least 119. lovely grind though but it does let you get gear thats okay.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've been playing retail on and off with a friend who's max level and a couple friends who just wanted to kill some time in between big game releases. On my own time I realized that I can finally level Blue Mage and nab spells without bothering other people to come help with monsters, so I've been grabbing everything, even the ones people say are useless. It's been a neat experience, both seeing my friends react to the game while also pursuing old content at my own pace.

Just did my first VE ambuscade with my level capped friend last night, and I'm wondering if I should spend the Rem's Tales on BLU AF or save them for another job.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

You will absolutely want to 109 the relic boots and really the rest of the AF stuff doesn't really matter for BLU.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

LiquidFriend posted:

You will absolutely want to 109 the relic boots and really the rest of the AF stuff doesn't really matter for BLU.

AF hands are useful if you're still learning spells but lose their neat outside of that

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

AF hands are useful if you're still learning spells but lose their neat outside of that
No reason to upgrade them at all. But yes, AF hands are cool for learning.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Just bought the ultimate collection on steam, world passes are still a thing right?

Any goons got a world pass for Asura? Thanks.

e: Also, trying to plan out what would be the best starting job. Maybe thief? I'm debating starting Warrior then getting to Andoulin to experience the Rune Fencer stuff, too.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Kevlar Beard posted:

e: Also, trying to plan out what would be the best starting job. Maybe thief? I'm debating starting Warrior then getting to Andoulin to experience the Rune Fencer stuff, too.

I absolutely hate playing Red Mage end game but if I had to do it all over again I would still start with it and take it to 99 before any other job. I've only played since August of last year though so I'm not much an expert. I've only played the game solo this entire time but I've managed to get 12 jobs to 99 and finished every expansion except Wings of the Goddess. I was able to pull this off a lot more easily with Red Mage thanks to Sneak, Deodorize, and Invisible and the level 50 ability called Composure that makes those spells last like 3 times longer. Being almost completely undetectable for well over 10 minutes at a time is very helpful when surrounded by tons of aggressive enemies (which way too often you can't possibly beat) especially when you're lost and need to read a guide slowly and carefully.

The most useful advice I have is don't be like me and try to solo Siren in The Lost Avatar mission. I was like 50ish at the point and rather than ask for help from a max level player I wasted a ton of time grinding to 70something without all the Rhapsody key items that increase exp and give you a 5th trust.

Also for general leveling the Shantotto II trust is insane so use it if you got it. had it for like 4 months before I found out how good it was. Slightly related, if you want a Trust to Tank, check to make sure it actually has Provoke.

Rune Fencer and Warrior are ridiculously fun all the way to 99. They just don't have very interesting JP/Gifts imo. I'd probably play them more if it wasn't for the madness that is Blue Mage. And to a lesser extent Ninja and Summoner. But mostly it's Blue's fault.

Edit: I should note that part of my problem with Warrior and Rune Fencer is that I am under the impression they are pathetic Tanks compared to a Paladin with the Aegis shield. Which is sort of fair since Paladins seem to do poo poo for damage compared to them, but after I got mine to 99 I discovered two things. 1. Getting that shield is a huge pain in the rear end ordeal I don't have the patience for. 2. I suck at keeping aggro on me so I end up using a Tank Trust all the time anyway.

Doctor Discomfort fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 9, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Gotta agree on RDM being basically the perfect starter class for breaking into the game with. It has a useful toolkit all the way from start to finish that will serve you well working through story content.

Also, when you are using Shantotto II, keep an eye out for King of Hearts during Trust events, he makes it easier for her to close Light and Darkness skillchains, giving her more time to Magic Burst. (Of course, Chant du Cygne also works.)

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Ah cool, so world passes arent really a thing anymore? Maybe Asura is just exempt or something?

Now for the dumbest problem. Do I make my Elvaan male large or medium sized? :ohdear:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

A gold world pass will still get you some items. Notably an exp ring with infinite charges. Then more items if you sub for a certain time. They aren't all that useful though.
It's worth trying to get one for the ring if you can.

I'm not subbed currently or I'd help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

You get the exp ring automatically when you make an account right now, so I wouldn't worry about a gold pass unless you really want some novelty poo poo items.