Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Hey I’m a big idiot playing through this game for the first time with an experienced friend. We’re on Hell now. I’m a Lightning Fury Amazon, but I use Plague Javelin on lightning immunes. Between the slow cast rate and the slow damage, it seems painfully bad. Am I missing something or should I respec? If so, to what?
Make an Infinity weapon for your merc. The aura will break immunities.

If you can't afford one, hit me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Laslow posted:

Make an Infinity weapon for your merc. The aura will break immunities.

If you can't afford one, hit me up.

We actually just got one, he basically makes Hell play like Nightmare again :v: I'm just curious whether Plague Javelin is really bad or whether I'm doing something wrong.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't think poison is a bad build, but Lightning Fury is just better in every way is the problem.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, and it's not like you can invest in synergies for it if you're lightning specced, so that I'm sure that drags it down a bit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Laslow posted:

Yeah, and it's not like you can invest in synergies for it if you're lightning specced, so that I'm sure that drags it down a bit.

That might be it. With 18 points in Plague Jav it feels like it can't even counter monster regen most of the time. I get that you're supposed to use it alongside physical attacks but it's still painfully ineffective. Maybe it needs synergies.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
And having 5 poison Rainbow Facets would probably go a long way, which you're not gonna have if you're mainly lightning. Maybe a 4 facet Jeweler's Monarch on weapon switch would work, but that's expensive enough to make in not worth it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Official ladder should be resetting soon as well

My self-found hardcore necro died to my own carelessness (not the servers, that was flawless the entire time) in the low 70s, so I'll be making another run once it does

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Star Man posted:

I know. Normally I would do cows at that point because the experience is good, but I can't for this run.

a2 tomb runs are the most efficient xp until 24. then do ancients to hit 25 and bye bye xp penalty

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Laslow posted:

Ok, so I sent you the mule info, let me know if you need help transferring.

I only had one Griff's and I'm saving it for my brother, who coincidentally is also a lite javazon, so I put in a Shako and Valk Wing instead.

The eth titan's on there are kind of(extremely) low, so I put in a bunch of mid runes for you to trade for better ones.

I made an Enigma because I had a spare 3 socket mage plate. Enjoy teleporting like an idiot!

I don't know what is the best boots for javazons, I just put in Waterwalks and Travs for you to choose from.

I threw in some random lower level stuff, in case you need it for leveling.

e: don't worry about mana, you'll get more than enough at base when you get higher. Just chug them potions for now!

yowzers, thank you!

Anyone able to help me transfer? I've read you can do it yourself by perming a game but I am really reluctant to lose this much stuff

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

yowzers, thank you!

Anyone able to help me transfer? I've read you can do it yourself by perming a game but I am really reluctant to lose this much stuff
I just made a normal game. Name and pass is in your PM's.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

feelix posted:

Official ladder should be resetting soon as well
With that said, I went ahead and traded a huge chunk of my wealth for a 10% XP Annihilus.

We got a month left and I'm just about to hit 98, so I'm gonna be down to the wire to 99.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Laslow posted:

I just made a normal game. Name and pass is in your PM's.

thanks for all your help laslow :)

edit: i don't know your account name to whisper reply to, sorry

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

thanks for all your help laslow :)

edit: i don't know your account name to whisper reply to, sorry
Yeah, there was some weirdness in battle.net.

I’m glad the cool stuff I found is getting some use. I basically have everything I need so it was all just piling up and gathering dust.

Now my guy actually has space so I don’t have to babysit the bot and can run it for days unattended again! I may make 99 in time!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Having messed around with Path of Diablo and Median XL this weekend, they're both really good in their own ways. PoD is like normal LoD with some quality of life improvements. It's 95% d2, 5% a different game or 90%/10%. You can even pick which game server you get put on despite being on one shared realm. So you can have good latency no matter where you are. And most of the changes seem legitimately positive for the game. It's not surprising they're one of the most active servers out there and that the lod private servers practically died out.

Median XL is an entirely different game and kinda overwhelming at first but it has lots of neat stuff too. I avoided it for ages because I like plain ol d2, but having tried lots of ARPGs in the past 5 years I figured I'd give it a shot. It seems like you mostly level as you plow through the game, there is a ridiculous amount of item customization you can participate in, and they completely redid most things. It feels like 20% d2, 80% a different game.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a dumbass.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 12, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
get out

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Slashdiablo's realm resets on friday at 7pm est.

I might be playing classic for a bit after the reset. If anyone else wants to join in, we'll almost certainly have space because no one plays classic on slashdiablo. Which means you'll be in the top 10 ladder for sure! All season! Even if you quit after the first night!

This post goes over some cool things about classic, but in all honesty you'll probably just convert to expansion at some point during the night.

Setup guide for slashdiablo. Requires a fresh install. Note, you should always use garbage cdkeys and not your real ones for private servers. Slashd has been around for a while, has no monetization, and the guy who runs it is a big nerd who loves the game and plays resets himself so you're probably safe either way.

A lot of people will probably play the expansion reset, too. Resets are always kinda fun for a few days.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I was just browsing my LoD manual, and... Was there really no elite items in classic?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

I was just browsing my LoD manual, and... Was there really no elite items in classic?
No elite items. No 3 socket helms. No 4 socket armor. Gems were worse until some patch buffed them. No exceptional uniques. No set bonuses. No immunities. No cooldowns on anything, but damage was lower. No synergies. Lots of the utility abilities were weaker. Blessed Hammer working with conc was a "bug" that was fixed and then unfixed. Multishot lightning enchanted spit out infinite lightning bolts and murdered you instantly. Lots of other modifiers were super weak.

At release, uniques couldn't drop if they were already in the game. You could use this to force every unique ring to be an soj. Also, gambling odds were really, really good until they nerfed them due to multiplayer.

Classic as it stands in the current patch is very different because almost all expansion changes trickled down into it except for the new content of expansion (well, with hacks you can go to a5 in classic).

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 14, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I do remember being able to gamble for uniques, specifically those awful Hotspur boots from Alkor, which I'm not sure I've ever seen drop.

Is it even possible to roll for uniques in LoD? I don't recall ever being able to, instead burning all cash on coronets.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

I do remember being able to gamble for uniques, specifically those awful Hotspur boots from Alkor, which I'm not sure I've ever seen drop.

Is it even possible to roll for uniques in LoD? I don't recall ever being able to, instead burning all cash on coronets.
It's 0.05% (1/2000) for a unique. Definitely doable, and for a while the item selling sites used a gold dupe to just gamble uniques endlessly in expansion with bots.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 14, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Khorne posted:

It's 0.05% (1/2000) for a unique. Definitely doable, and for a while the item selling sites used a gold dupe to just gamble uniques endlessly in expansion with bots.

So all it did was hitting those who weren't exploiting the system, fantastic.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

There were legitish players who made goldfind barbs and cleared trav. Usually, as a real player you gamble for rings/amulets/circlets. Rares are 1/10 or so.

Gambling is one of those "best kept secret" things where it actually is useless for most builds and players besides burning off excess gold, but you could also do it legitimately and make a fortune if you focused on it hard enough. I've no idea how it compares to mfing or leveling, because I tended to just grind out chaos sanc and the areas where you slay stuff. I like playing the game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 14, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I have my bot gambling for Kite Shields to go for JMoX’s, might as well swing for the fences.

It’s found several Stormshields, it doesn’t even record steelclash’s or whatever, and zero JMoX’s. But I did find a JMoE on the ground once.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jeweler's Monarch of...?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

Jeweler's Monarch of...?
Equilibrium probably. Faster hit recovery. Charms and other items have this suffix.

Deflecting or Deflection (jmod) is block chance and recovery.

I don't know why I remember stuff from 10 years ago.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Those must be for dueling then. I'm a lame rear end softcore PvM kid.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

Those must be for dueling then. I'm a lame rear end softcore PvM kid.
They're good in pvm too when faceted but so drat expensive and hard to get that you usually just use something else or a 4os.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Khorne posted:

They're good in pvm too when faceted but so drat expensive and hard to get that you usually just use something else or a 4os.

I typically just use a Spirit monarch.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

I typically just use a Spirit monarch.
Same, I know for pvm javzon and lit sorcs the socketed shields are great though. Not sure if the use jewelers monarchs or a different one in pvm.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Kind of a weird thing to say since exploits are by nature used to gain an advantage. You could say this about any mechanic in any game that has an exploit.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Khorne posted:

Equilibrium probably. Faster hit recovery. Charms and other items have this suffix.

Deflecting or Deflection (jmod) is block chance and recovery.

I don't know why I remember stuff from 10 years ago.
It was actually Ease. Lower strength requirement. Basically any Jeweler's Monarch is mega valuable, but Deflection is top dog for sure. Likely the most expensive piece of equipment, period. Even more than a perfect Crown of Ages or Griffon's Eye, even.

Khorne posted:

Yep. My brother goes Uber hunting with me as a lightning javazon. He uses the JMoE with 4 5/-5 lightning facets. Also facets a Griff's. Javazons are expensive.

e: BTW I found another Griff's. Molybdenum, if you're interested let me know and I'll drop it on the mule.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 15, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Exile isn't cheap, but I just settle with a Smiter for Ubers. Nice and easy.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Star Man posted:

Exile isn't cheap, but I just settle with a Smiter for Ubers. Nice and easy.
Yeah, you can get away with an Up'd HoZ and Drac's gloves, not too bad. I use a Smiter too, with an ED Exile. My brother just likes zapping things. Like melting down a whole cow level in thirty seconds, which is is pretty fun.

Speaking of which, I found a 197% enhanced def HoZ on East Ladder if anyone is interested.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

BattleHamster posted:

Kind of a weird thing to say since exploits are by nature used to gain an advantage. You could say this about any mechanic in any game that has an exploit.

Spending gold on a better than 1/2000 chance at getting a unique isn't an exploit. If it's too cheap, increase the cost instead of making it virtually impossible unless you cheat with bots.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My auradin had a grief/exile weapon swap setup to do ubers. Didn't have to worry about uber Meph's Conviction aura since mine was higher level.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Khorne posted:

Slashdiablo's realm resets on friday at 7pm est.

I might be playing classic for a bit after the reset. If anyone else wants to join in, we'll almost certainly have space because no one plays classic on slashdiablo. Which means you'll be in the top 10 ladder for sure! All season! Even if you quit after the first night!

This post goes over some cool things about classic, but in all honesty you'll probably just convert to expansion at some point during the night.

Setup guide for slashdiablo. Requires a fresh install. Note, you should always use garbage cdkeys and not your real ones for private servers. Slashd has been around for a while, has no monetization, and the guy who runs it is a big nerd who loves the game and plays resets himself so you're probably safe either way.

A lot of people will probably play the expansion reset, too. Resets are always kinda fun for a few days.

I'm in for classic. Ill either go bowazon or hammerdin

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Laslow posted:

It was actually Ease. Lower strength requirement. Basically any Jeweler's Monarch is mega valuable, but Deflection is top dog for sure. Likely the most expensive piece of equipment, period. Even more than a perfect Crown of Ages or Griffon's Eye, even.

Yep. My brother goes Uber hunting with me as a lightning javazon. He uses the JMoE with 4 5/-5 lightning facets. Also facets a Griff's. Javazons are expensive.

e: BTW I found another Griff's. Molybdenum, if you're interested let me know and I'll drop it on the mule.

Sure! Been focused on completing hell quests. Izual is annoying as all get out.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

manpurse posted:

I'm in for classic. Ill either go bowazon or hammerdin
Reset is in 5 minutes, you can whisper me on that server at: *gglok

edit: drat what a disaster. Server keeps crashing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Sure! Been focused on completing hell quests. Izual is annoying as all get out.
Aw crap. I’m away from home til Sunday night. I’ll hit you up then.