Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Yes, that is literally what Donald Tusk has been saying all afternoon.

He, and Barnier, really have been playing 3 dimensional chess, compared to the Conservatives, who have just been playing snap with their own poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

If labour were to win an election couldn't they just say: brexit has caused the collapse of one government, we are not about to continue exploring such a disruptive policy, and then just withdraw their art. 50 letter (which the EU seems keen on)? What is the ramifications of doing that? So long as they keep backbench support they should be safe, though I guess you could argue it's abandoning the principle of responsible government as it is currently understood.

Edit: beaten sort of, but I guess I am asking is there a statuatory requirement for government to keep pushing the issue. My understanding is..maybe. but I haven't kept up on my parliamentary knowledge as much as I should.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I don't think the EU will accept it though? Or they will make them jump through so many hoops it will be humiliating

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
looking at this from a US perspective it seems to match our problem in that a rather non-trivial amount of elected officials are financially compromised and like 40% of the country thinks theyre owning the British equivalent of Mexicans by doing it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

But if they withdrew then the UK would have to admit they made a mistake and look silly in the eyes of the world and we couldn't have that now, could we.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

who have just been playing snap with their own poop.

That's an amazing image.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Brexit is going to be the textbook example (until someone else tops them) on why you don't crowdsource a decision like this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pretty strong chance the UK government falls by the end of the week. 3 Ministers gone today and Theresa May has poo poo the bed massively at Parliament today.

There is zero chance that her half-baked brexit deal will pass a vote.

This round of negotiations is hosed anyway. There is close to a zero chance that the current bill will make it through Parliament and when it doesn't, May doesn't really have any other option than quit, call a vote of no confidence herself, or let some fuckface like Gove try and renegotiate the deal, which won't happen because the EU isn't stupid.

I'm really curious. Do you feel at all complicit for the fact that your country is facing a massive disaster?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't think the EU will accept it though? Or they will make them jump through so many hoops it will be humiliating

Tusk has said openly that the EU would be happy to toss the art. 50 letter. As recently as today. Phone posting though so don't have a link.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

EBB posted:

But if they withdrew then the UK would have to admit they made a mistake and look silly in the eyes of the world and we couldn't have that now, could we.

Corbyn has no issue doing this, I'm no Labour fan but I like the fact that he seems broadly prepared to admit uncomfortable national truths (just don't ask him about antisemitism.)

As I understand it, article 50 can be repealed if there is a unanimous agreement between EU members, and I suspect that that wouldn't be a problem. Obviously massive national hat eating would follow.

On the UK side, if there was a general election and Labour campaigned with the pledge to have another referendum, then won, then passed another act of parliament superceeding the brexit one, then yes, it would kill brexit. There is a pretty hefty movement calling for that already, a march in London last month had more than half a million people calling for a second vote.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Corbyn has no issue doing this, I'm no Labour fan but I like the fact that he seems broadly prepared to admit uncomfortable national truths (just don't ask him about antisemitism.)

As I understand it, article 50 can be repealed if there is a unanimous agreement between EU members, and I suspect that that wouldn't be a problem. Obviously massive national hat eating would follow.

On the UK side, if there was a general election and Labour campaigned with the pledge to have another referendum, then won, then passed another act of parliament superceeding the brexit one, then yes, it would kill brexit. There is a pretty hefty movement calling for that already, a march in London last month had more than half a million people calling for a second vote.

A lot of the damage from companies leaving will be permanent but it won't be a complete disaster at least here. If Brexit goes through theres no way they could ever rejoin and keep the GBP.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
they should do a second vote

then all the olds that didn't vote the first time come out and push it in favor again

DOUBLE BREXIT

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

I'm really curious. Do you feel at all complicit for the fact that your country is facing a massive disaster?

Honestly, yes. I thought we would have handled the exit better, I wasn't dumb enough to think we would come out of it unscathed. This is just a farce.

By exit, I thought we would just leave without a deal, a year ago, take the initial hit and probably year of recession and re-negotiate a trade deal afterwards. Instead its hosed from start to finish because no one bothered actually negotiating with any urgency or a formative plan and really wasn't what I voted for at all.

I have a distinct feeling that this will drag on until January when we will end up with another General election, a repealing of Brexit and then a weak Labour government that hasn't got it's own house in order yet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So you're gonna vote stay this time, right?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

EBB posted:

So you're gonna vote stay this time, right?

Yep, I still want out, but we can't seem to loving manage it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Yep, I still want out, but we can't seem to loving manage it.

But... why

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I don't like how the EU manages trade with the rest of the world, mainly. Because of dumping taxes being used punitively in my industry in particular, we can't import from Asia and are forced to import, at a much inflated price, from French and German manufacturers. EU regulations and product standards get abused to act as a form of trade protectionism, which doesn't protect the consumer, just ends up driving up prices etc.

I'm not dumb enough to think that leaving will bring manufacturing back to the UK, in fact my family moved our manufacturing base out mostly to Turkey, but structured trade, collective trade negotiations and regulation are just by-words for trade protectionism.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Guess who Donnie Smooth Brains is considering offering to Turkey to ease Khashoggi tensions?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vasudus posted:

DOUBLE BREXIT

whelp now I know what I want for Christmas

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also god dammit I knew who it was before I clicked

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't like how the EU manages trade with the rest of the world, mainly. Because of dumping taxes being used punitively in my industry in particular, we can't import from Asia and are forced to import, at a much inflated price, from French and German manufacturers. EU regulations and product standards get abused to act as a form of trade protectionism, which doesn't protect the consumer, just ends up driving up prices etc.

I'm not dumb enough to think that leaving will bring manufacturing back to the UK, in fact my family moved our manufacturing base out mostly to Turkey, but structured trade, collective trade negotiations and regulation are just by-words for trade protectionism.

oh so it's stopping you from getting even wealthier

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Yes, in part.

It also keeps prices higher for the general public, instead of importing from South Korea, we have to buy semi-processed materials from Germany at prices that are 60% higher, that gets passed on.

I fail to see how any part of that equation benefits the UK.

It was a similar story when I worked for another family business about 10 years ago, they manufactured chemicals for the dry cleaning industry.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

You hate Europe for being Europe it sounds like

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Love 2 destroy my Nation for my families profit and pretend that it's for the people

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Yes, in part.

It also keeps prices higher for the general public, instead of importing from South Korea, we have to buy semi-processed materials from Germany at prices that are 60% higher, that gets passed on.

I fail to see how any part of that equation benefits the UK.

It was a similar story when I worked for another family business about 10 years ago, they manufactured chemicals for the dry cleaning industry.

tell me more you bougie cocksucker

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Compared to what they've been doing for the past 2 years?

Vasudus posted:

Brexit is going to be the textbook example (until someone else tops them) on why you don't crowdsource a decision like this.

The Boaty McBoatface of global politics.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/...ingawful.com%2F

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How else am I supposed to afford the third Jaguar if brexit doesn't happen

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Aren't jags just BMWs with a bit of a makeover, like the rest of british cars?

Plus I'm pretty sure my Camaro is faster 😎

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

they painted themselves into one hell of a corner with Brexit and have spent the past however long doing nothing to get out of it lololol

I will be so glad if at the last minute everybody just agrees to a brexit deal that is equivalent to not ever voting to leave in the first place.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Aren't jags just BMWs with a bit of a makeover, like the rest of british cars?

Plus I'm pretty sure my Camaro is faster 😎

They used to be Fords with more questionable electronics, until Jag was sold to Tata.

Edit: And with a tune, a Taurus was faster than a Camaro until recently.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Godholio posted:

They used to be Fords with more questionable electronics, until Jag was sold to Tata.

Edit: And with a tune, a Taurus was faster than a Camaro until recently.

A Ford Taurus? Also I got a 2017 so it's a newer one but I haven't done any work on it yet cause I was saving for a house. But I'm going to do an engine swap on my '87 supra for a 2jz first I think

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVe_PTODcM

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
...isn't that the entire point of why the EU trade agreements exist? To prevent capitalism from running rampant and destroying national economies for the sake of saving ten cents on the dollar, driving a colossal wedge of inequality and resentment into a region of the world that's largely been at war with itself since time began?

or is that :thejoke:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Vasudus posted:

...isn't that the entire point of why the EU trade agreements exist? To prevent capitalism from running rampant and destroying national economies for the sake of saving ten cents on the dollar, driving a colossal wedge of inequality and resentment into a region of the world that's largely been at war with itself since time began?

loving the poor is an English tradition

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

That's a pretty good description of it. It was to prevent the industrial and economic powerhouses of the EU from crushing the lesser members, and introduce some semblance of equality.

Of course someone who says "gently caress the poor I want to be rich" would have a dim view of the EU regs.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

A Ford Taurus? Also I got a 2017 so it's a newer one but I haven't done any work on it yet cause I was saving for a house. But I'm going to do an engine swap on my '87 supra for a 2jz first I think

The Taurus SHO I'm guessing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Well it is the joke, but one that bernard is making on everyone's expense but his

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

another house seat for dems in Maine was called. +33 seats now, 7 still to be called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/miketokes/status/1062908981281120256?s=21