Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I understand making them stronger, but having the equivalent of a fully-evolved typical starter from the beginning of the game might be pushing it a bit.

Especially Evee as seeing as it has powerful moves that correspond to various elements at its disposal why would you ever need to use another Pokemon in battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Entropist posted:

Pokemon Go has Great Balls and Ultra Balls (but not Dusk Balls etc) so it'd be weird if it didn't have those.

Pokemon Go has Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon, so "Go has it so Let's Go should have it" is...uhh...not correct, probably.

Alxprit posted:

I understand making them stronger, but having the equivalent of a fully-evolved typical starter from the beginning of the game might be pushing it a bit.

I'm not sure how you could actually balance it though. Normally, starters are balanced by being three-stage lines so they keep relevant throughout the early, mid, and late-game. Uranium is a good example of why this is done, there all starters are two-stage mons and it causes issues for them. Let's Go is even more extreme since your starters are effectively one-stage, no evolutions at all. Since Pokemon BSTs are consistent throughout levels, you can't have that change, so I can't see any other way than having them be extremely strong at the early and mid-games so they're fine by the late-game, otherwise the titular characters for the game become useless.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the design of starters is actually pretty important and one of the core elements is 'they start off kinda scrubby and become very powerful by stage three', having a starter that won't even hit stage two means they need to ensure that by the elite 4 you can still have this unevolved baby dog be a big part of your team if you want so they have to juice it a bit and that means early game they're gonna be beasts.

Also remember, you don't have to use them, I'm probably not gonna use my Eevee much until later game personally.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Especially Evee as seeing as it has powerful moves that correspond to various elements at its disposal why would you ever need to use another Pokemon in battle?

What's the maximum amount of Coverage you can have with an Eevee?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

From my understanding, not only do you not have you use your starter, but they still ride around on your head if you don't have them in your party. Best of both worlds!

I can't wait to play this game! I made my husband promise he would co-op with me months ago (didn't take much convincing) and we are both :stoked: as hell. Why isn't it Friday yet?!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

torn between wanting to play a pokemon game i havent played already and really not wanting to play a game where the central mechanic is tapping A to throw ball

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

torn between wanting to play a pokemon game i havent played already and really not wanting to play a game where the central mechanic is tapping A to throw ball

What button did you press to throw a ball before?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pokemon Go has Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon, so "Go has it so Let's Go should have it" is...uhh...not correct, probably.

I'm not sure how you could actually balance it though. Normally, starters are balanced by being three-stage lines so they keep relevant throughout the early, mid, and late-game. Uranium is a good example of why this is done, there all starters are two-stage mons and it causes issues for them. Let's Go is even more extreme since your starters are effectively one-stage, no evolutions at all. Since Pokemon BSTs are consistent throughout levels, you can't have that change, so I can't see any other way than having them be extremely strong at the early and mid-games so they're fine by the late-game, otherwise the titular characters for the game become useless.

Could perhaps not give Zippy Zap to Pikachu until, say, Blaine. Much of the broken-ness is coming from the moves themselves that are awarded before the water gym, the tutors could be pushed back so Pikachu would have to win with the Thundershock button instead.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ShadeofBlue posted:

What button did you press to throw a ball before?

my issue is more with the central mechanic part rather than the button in question

e: polygons review, although polite as all their reviews are, pretty much made it sound like doing the pokemon Go ball-throw minigame is the main way to level your pokemon and you need to do a lot of it
I was hoping for easy catching but more battles, sounds like its the opposite

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 15, 2018

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can u nickname ur mew

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hentai Jihadist posted:

my issue is more with the central mechanic part rather than the button in question

e: polygons review, although polite as all their reviews are, pretty much made it sound like doing the pokemon Go ball-throw minigame is the main way to level your pokemon and you need to do a lot of it

catching is the core mechanic, yea, but it's also pretty fast and kinda neat. Maybe it's just me not playing Go so I'm not sensitized to it but stuff like timing your throw and pokemon juking and slapping your ball away and all is kinda more interesting to me than the old way. Ideally I'd love if everything was handled like the legendary battles where you have to beat them THEN go into catch mode but I can see why they focused on speed of catches for that, considering catch combos are a main thing and all.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, this game is especially easy if you have any experience with Kanto, understand the capture bonuses and are cool with mostly just using your starters.

Like, they straight up seem to give Pikachu something to be super effective against 3 of the first four gyms right before you get to them. The first of Pikachu's unique moves is kind of absurd for how early you get access to it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is there a breakdown anywhere of how the multi-player works

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Is there a breakdown anywhere of how the multi-player works

A second player joins in and runs around in the overworld when you shake the other Joy-Con. They can't do anything besides move around - can't pick up items, can't talk to people, can't get into encounters. All they do is add a second mon when battling other trainers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

What's the maximum amount of Coverage you can have with an Eevee?

I'm pretty sure it's got a Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric attack at any rate but I'm not sure about the other types.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Crawfish posted:

Man, this game is especially easy if you have any experience with Kanto, understand the capture bonuses and are cool with mostly just using your starters.

Like, they straight up seem to give Pikachu something to be super effective against 3 of the first four gyms right before you get to them. The first of Pikachu's unique moves is kind of absurd for how early you get access to it.

Game Freak has very little faith in the incoming Niantic audience.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Kids will want to quit and play something else if they lose because their starter is bad

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Larryb posted:

I'm pretty sure it's got a Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric attack at any rate but I'm not sure about the other types.

It has one for every* Eevee evolution.

*most? I have no idea how many eevee evolutions there are now.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
There are 12: Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, Leafeon, Sylveon, Charmeleon, Kecleon, Empoleon and Lumineon

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

less laughter posted:

Game Freak has very little faith in the incoming Niantic audience.

After playing Kirby: Star Allies with my niece and nephew for an hour I understand it

Kids are dumb

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kids will want to quit and play something else if they lose because their starter is bad

Just like they did in 1996, ending this puerile fad before it started

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Just like they did in 1996, ending this puerile fad before it started

There are a hundred million more free games that can be downloaded onto the smartphone or tablet a family that owns a switch will have than there were in 1996

Infinitely more, in fact, because they didn’t exist

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are a hundred million more free games that can be downloaded onto the smartphone or tablet a family that owns a switch will have than there were in 1996

Infinitely more, in fact, because they didn’t exist

and yet they still play games like fortnite where they die and fail constantly

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 15, 2018

RME
Feb 20, 2012

dying and failing in fortnite lets you move to the next round immediately, which is a non trivial factor in why BR games got popular in the first place, it's not really the same as dying and failing and now you're walled

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

can u nickname ur mew

yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RME posted:

dying and failing in fortnite lets you move to the next round immediately, which is a non trivial factor in why BR games got popular in the first place, it's not really the same as dying and failing and now you're walled

I just haven't seen any indication that kids will stop playing when faced with any adversity in a game.

seems like old people yelling about kids these days to me

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmmmmmm

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

call it Mewtwo Sr

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An experienced player can make the game harder for themselves if they want, but a beginner can't make it easier for themselves. This is just the Super Guide argument all over again, and, look, that feature turned out fine and didn't ruin anything. It'll be okay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
MewOne

Bongo Bill posted:

An experienced player can make the game harder for themselves if they want, but a beginner can't make it easier for themselves. This is just the Super Guide argument all over again, and, look, that feature turned out fine and didn't ruin anything. It'll be okay.

Yea people are really overblowing this. If you want to breeze through early stuff you can, if you don't you can completely shelf your partner as a battler and just keep them as an adorable mascot

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I am concerned about the possibility that the catching mechanic will turn out to be more tedious than traditional random encounters, however. I'm not sold on the motion control.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I mean it's not like catching Pokemon has ever been this deep engaging thing, has it? Smack the thing until it's near dead, optionally put a status on it and then mash the A button screaming at the thing to quit breaking (out of) your balls.

The only things that were a challenge to catch were legendary Pokemon, and you still battle those before you catch them. All Let's Go does is cut out the boring stupid tedium, and the random encounters it takes to get there!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

MewOne

Yea people are really overblowing this. If you want to breeze through early stuff you can, if you don't you can completely shelf your partner as a battler and just keep them as an adorable mascot

Besides, anyone who knows what they are doing will breeze through any pokemon game if they try even a bit

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Catching pokemon is the main way to level up, so you're going to be doing a lot of it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Go-style catching should be optional. I really don't understand why they'd want to expressly prohibit a segment of disabled gamers from playing it especially after they caught poo poo over Go initially. some people can't do timing bullshit

e: also idk why they couldn't let your starters have an evolution-like mechanic mid-game so they wouldn't be insanely overpowered at first. like, give them a power up. maybe Marowak's spirit gives them a blessing or whatever in-universe reason you feel like cooking up. but I don't buy this "well according to the rules they HAVE to have OP base stats at first cause base stats never change!!" it's a loving game. program it differently

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 15, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

the Go-style catching should be optional. I really don't understand why they'd want to expressly prohibit a segment of disabled gamers from playing it especially after they caught poo poo over Go initially. some people can't do timing bullshit

Because the game is Let's Go. It's selling itself on the fact that it is a Switch version of Go. Making Go mechanics optional would be incredibly bizarre and go against the point of the game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

I am concerned about the possibility that the catching mechanic will turn out to be more tedious than traditional random encounters, however. I'm not sold on the motion control.

watching some streamers it seems pretty fast. It can get a bit finicky when a pokemon keeps moving side to side and the motion controls are a little bit slow to pick up the difference between dead on middle and curved throws, though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Because the game is Let's Go. It's selling itself on the fact that it is a Switch version of Go. Making Go mechanics optional would be incredibly bizarre and go against the point of the game.

making Eevee, the evolving Pokemon, not evolve goes against the point. these are fake rules you're imposing on a video game and acting like they're inviolable

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Andrast posted:

I just haven't seen any indication that kids will stop playing when faced with any adversity in a game.

seems like old people yelling about kids these days to me

I think people overblow it too but I’m not gonna part you get away with that dumbass comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Alxprit posted:

hot take: pokemon as a series would be even more staggeringly popular than it already is if they did this to every single pokemon so that everyone could have a good time trying their hand at competitive whatevers with the dudes they actually like instead of just whatever is Good