Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

What about instead we do flying aircraft carriers that launch submersible fighter planes

Make it submersible rocket interceptors and I'll double the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I want Final Fantasy style airships :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

So many people here that apparently never played Supreme Commander. Boats that walk on land, submersible battleships, a submersible aircraft carrier that itself builds aircraft, a flying aircraft carrier that also builds aircraft, a tank that can drive underwater and builds more tanks, something like a dozen different flavors of artillery, an experimental rapid nuclear missile assembler/launcher, etc.
You forgot to mention that the flying aircraft carrier also has a giant deathbeam for leaving massive trails of scorched earth where enemy units and buildings used to be. If you have the economy for it you can spam them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hoi probably could support a gundum game.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Drone posted:

What about instead we do flying aircraft carriers that launch submersible fighter planes

But can they VTOL?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Ok, hear me out. A mobile dockyard. Put a couple dozen Maus tanks under the thing and blammo! You can launch, retrieve, manufacture and repair war ships that you can drive to any significant body of water. The dockyard, naturally, will be submersible.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Ok, hear me out. A mobile dockyard. Put a couple dozen Maus tanks under the thing and blammo! You can launch, retrieve, manufacture and repair war ships that you can drive to any significant body of water. The dockyard, naturally, will be submersible.

Just make an even bigger Maus with an inbuilt factory, several artillery guns the size of trucks, and a big ol landing pad for experimental flying ships.

Call it the Fatboy, rename the game to SupComm3.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hearts of Iron IV: The dockyard, naturally, will be submersible

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They really missed an opportunity with the Netherlands not having a 'submersing the nation' focus tree. The flooding was just the beginning...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
secret holland

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
People should've paid closer attention when Kevin Costner was announced as the new head of state.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MiddleOne posted:

They really missed an opportunity with the Netherlands not having a 'submersing the nation' focus tree. The flooding was just the beginning...

i've not wanted a DLC so hard since the prospect of alien invasion DLC

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe it could be the gimmick of Denmarks focus tree?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the danish gimmick can be losing faster than the netherlands

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The next DLC will be an overhaul of intelligence and counterintelligence mechanics in the game

new focus added for New Zealand

"Maps Without New Zealand"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

The next DLC will be an overhaul of intelligence and counterintelligence mechanics in the game

new focus added for New Zealand

"Maps Without New Zealand"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

where do you think khan sent all the nukes during the eugenics wars

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The strongest association with New Zealand in Star Trek lore is as a Federation penal colony

Congrats New Zealand, way to totally shake off those centuries-old Australasian stereotypes

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm psyched to do a cavalry build with Mexico. I've got it planned out, it should be pretty awesome particularly for conquering Central and South America. You get the cavalry genius and infantry expert advisors for sweet stacking bonuses (cav count as both infantry and cav at the same time). Then you go mobile warfare -> mobile infantry for the speed and organization bonuses, after that you can either go for the extra manpower of desperate defense, or get even more organization for your cav in modern blitzkireg. You could also just go superior firepower, which will give you better combat stats overall, but I like trying to maximize the speed of cav..... Actually now that I think of it, superior firepower gives you 20% soft attack, cav genius gives you another 15%, and infantry expert another 10% for a whopping 45% extra soft attack.... that's probably too good to pass up. Holy gently caress Mexico is going to be fun.

Edit: ahaha gently caress, I forgot you get another 10% soft attack from shock and awe. I can't wait to attack with +55% cav.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dramicus posted:

I'm psyched to do a cavalry build with Mexico. I've got it planned out, it should be pretty awesome particularly for conquering Central and South America. You get the cavalry genius and infantry expert advisors for sweet stacking bonuses (cav count as both infantry and cav at the same time). Then you go mobile warfare -> mobile infantry for the speed and organization bonuses, after that you can either go for the extra manpower of desperate defense, or get even more organization for your cav in modern blitzkireg. You could also just go superior firepower, which will give you better combat stats overall, but I like trying to maximize the speed of cav..... Actually now that I think of it, superior firepower gives you 20% soft attack, cav genius gives you another 15%, and infantry expert another 10% for a whopping 45% extra soft attack.... that's probably too good to pass up. Holy gently caress Mexico is going to be fun.

Edit: ahaha gently caress, I forgot you get another 10% soft attack from shock and awe. I can't wait to attack with +55% cav.

Yeah this DLC can't come out fast enough. I really didn't expect Paradox to focus on Mexico, and i'm pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Dramicus posted:

Digging the implication of all those soft attack bonuses that the horses are walking around like this but with the weapons actually assembled.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If Mexico gets cores from the focuses to conquer Latin America, it's going to be a monster. I wonder if it's possible to do a Catholic-Communist run with Trotsky as head of state. And horses, lots and lots of horses. Going to invade the Soviet Union from the Steppes of Asia on horseback so hard that they will get flashbacks from 1240.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

popewiles posted:

Digging the implication of all those soft attack bonuses that the horses are walking around like this but with the weapons actually assembled.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Zt0I0JMKeOcn5M4/giphy.gif

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do achievements in this work if your tag changes? If you form Scandanavia as a Nordic country or whatever.

edit: I'm torn between going Communist or just staying Democratic as France in a game where I am planning on getting the "Reach 1948 as France without capitulating or surrendering." achievement.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 17, 2018

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do achievements in this work if your tag changes? If you form Scandanavia as a Nordic country or whatever.

edit: I'm torn between going Communist or just staying Democratic as France in a game where I am planning on getting the "Reach 1948 as France without capitulating or surrendering." achievement.

I did it Democratic, I found having the trade and naval support of the allies was worth more than a potential second front from the Soviets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dramicus posted:

I did it Democratic, I found having the trade and naval support of the allies was worth more than a potential second front from the Soviets.
I decided to go for the "Big Entente" achievement, too: As France, complete the “Little Entente” National Focus, and have all German cores owned by you or someone in your faction.

On the eve of victory in Germany, the Soviets attacked Poland and capitulated them in a month, which gave Germany all of its Polish-occupied territory back, which it then used to backdoor the Czechs and I just wasted like three hours :suicide:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the ucking soviets will stick their dick in the west if germany takes too long, which will gently caress everything up. Even if it means going against the allies, which makes the ussr and the axis allies. which is retarded. this will happen in 40 or something.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
IRL the Soviets were planning their own invasion of Europe by 1942, but if you have a peaceful Germany, that's 6 years of waiting for something to happen. So for the sake of something happening within a reasonable amount of time, they have the Soviets start poo poo in 40-41.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
it's actually because the soviet focus tree is poo poo and empty.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I bought this last week and while it's enjoyable, some of the behaviour/gameplay is pretty annoying. My main beef is I can't seem to get the lines to work right. For example, playing Italy once the war kicks off I take big chunks off the UK but they keep on popping up, rushing past my troops and taking behind me. The AI of my generals just ignore them and micromanaging them is painful. Is there an order combo that says 'take this country but stomp on any getting past'.
I had had one full army on garrison but that didn't work too well either. So I now have 2 full armies trying to push down toward South Africa but having to keep breaking bits off to chase down units coming in behind.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Thread came back just in time for this week's diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi-4-dev-diary-naval-rework-1.1130312/&sdpDevPosts=1

Mostly showing off the new interface, it also gives us more details on changes coming to the way navies will be organized and issued orders.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just want them to release Man the Guns already so that we can get to the focus trees because god is this expansion not going to make me play the naval game in any real capacity.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

feels bad to see both eu4 and stellaris get dlc announced and released before hoi4 even gets a release date

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
As I understand it both those teams have more to work with (and have probably also earned the company more, justifying their priority) so they're able to get things out faster.

And as much as I'd love the expansion to come out now (since they are greatly expanding the 2 countries I like to play most) I'd rather they just take the time and get it right rather then just releasing something for the sake of getting it to market. Last thing this game needs is a shallow, buggy expansion everyone rolls their eyes at.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If it's not out by early December, EU4 will have received two DLCs shipped since MtG was announced (iirc Dharma was released shortly after PDXCon)

Edit: and Stellaris too

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Stellaris sells better because it lets you do war crimes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ratzap posted:

I bought this last week and while it's enjoyable, some of the behaviour/gameplay is pretty annoying. My main beef is I can't seem to get the lines to work right. For example, playing Italy once the war kicks off I take big chunks off the UK but they keep on popping up, rushing past my troops and taking behind me. The AI of my generals just ignore them and micromanaging them is painful. Is there an order combo that says 'take this country but stomp on any getting past'.
I had had one full army on garrison but that didn't work too well either. So I now have 2 full armies trying to push down toward South Africa but having to keep breaking bits off to chase down units coming in behind.

The question is how are they getting past you? Are you leaving holes in your frontlines that the enemy is getting through? If so, you should probably put more troops on those frontlines. Are they coming through areas you don't have covered by a line of troops, such as flanks against neighboring countries? If so, you should probably put troops to block those areas. Are they coming in via naval invasions? If so, you should probably put troops on the coast (especially the ports).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Davincie posted:

feels bad to see both eu4 and stellaris get dlc announced and released before hoi4 even gets a release date
Yeah I find it a little disappointing but I imagine that the oil/fuel rework is on the same scale as one of the two major Stellaris overhauls (I dunno if you follow it, but they have completely rebuilt two major parts of the game from the ground up) and like Psychotic Weasel said, the HoI team probably has fewer resources to leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

From what I recall, HoI team has a lot less people because EU4 / Stellaris simply offer more creative outlets, and you also don't have to deal with as many Wehraboos.