Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When I got Binx neutered I went to a free mobile clinic sponsored by a local shelter, their requirements for both puppies and kittens are 8 weeks 2 pounds. We took him in at 8 weeks and aside from being a big dumbo, which likely is not a result of the neutering, he's fine.

Interestingly they won't take animals older than 8 years unless their bloodwork looks okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Our first cat was probably around 5 months when we ended up spaying her because she started going into heat.. while I was home alone because the gf was visiting her parents in Florida. Boy was that a fun weekend. :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fiancee forgot to put the tissues up this morning before leaving for work.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I haven't looked into it in a while but a few years back Avoderm seemed to have few complaints and wasn't too expensive. I've had it on Amazon subscribe for a couple years now and my super picky older cat always enthusiastically eats it.

The two new kittens tear into it as well but they also eat everything (I've had to stop storing wood by the fireplace because one of them keeps gnawing on it).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

FuzzySlippers posted:

The two new kittens tear into it as well but they also eat everything (I've had to stop storing wood by the fireplace because one of them keeps gnawing on it).

On this note, are there safe chews that mimic wood for cats? My cat heckin loves chewing wood and branches every time we go for our walks.

cat tax:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

FelicityGS posted:

On this note, are there safe chews that mimic wood for cats? My cat heckin loves chewing wood and branches every time we go for our walks.

cat tax:

Try silvervine sticks for the added bonus of gettin him high as gently caress. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RN4248

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

For what its worth, I used to be one of those "higher cost = better product" type of people. In general, that's true, in that you probably don't want to be buying the bottom barrel tier of product of any type, including food, but you probably also don't need to buy Blue Wilderness Organic GMO-free Free Range Special Diet cat food for your cat.

I did feed my cats Blue for a while and now they are eating Purina One and they are not any less healthy or any fatter. At least, in no vet visits did the vet ever show concern over the weight of any of my cats, and they've all been said to have great pearly whites.

I can say that an exception to this is that if you feed cats mostly dry food they're likely to develop crystals in their urea, especially male cats. So you should try to find a brand of wet food they'll scarf down and feed it to them consistently.

but yeah, no need to splurge within the subcatagories. my two loving love fancy feast tuna in gravy and turn their nose up at the primo poo poo.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Kitten spay chat? My girl Tuesday was fixed between 3 and 4 mo. old and the vet said she’d already started ovulating based on what she found during the procedure. The guideline seems to really be weight. Tuesday was already about 6 lbs when she got spayed.

She ended up having that random edema near her incision but that’s resolved now. Keep an eye on your lil girl kittens after spay, since complications and random bullshit totally happen sometimes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
aw man, just read the paradise fire gbs thread.

rip repo man's cats :smith:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

A big flaming stink posted:

I can say that an exception to this is that if you feed cats mostly dry food they're likely to develop crystals in their urea, especially male cats. So you should try to find a brand of wet food they'll scarf down and feed it to them consistently.

but yeah, no need to splurge within the subcatagories. my two loving love fancy feast tuna in gravy and turn their nose up at the primo poo poo.

Yeah, I have 3 boys and feed them wet food on a fairly consistent basis, but they get to free feed dry food. No pee problems yet.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any suggestions on an automatic feeder that will work with wet food?

My vet strongly recommended that I use wet food, which is fine, but I won't be able to use the automatic feeder I ordered.

I travel 2 nights per week, so I was planning on using the auto feeder at least while they are babies to help make sure they don't gorge themselves. Adult cats don't typically have that issue, but babies sometimes do.

If there isn't an auto feeder for wet food, can I safely leave a pile of wet food in the bowl?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Annath posted:

Any suggestions on an automatic feeder that will work with wet food?

My vet strongly recommended that I use wet food, which is fine, but I won't be able to use the automatic feeder I ordered.

I travel 2 nights per week, so I was planning on using the auto feeder at least while they are babies to help make sure they don't gorge themselves. Adult cats don't typically have that issue, but babies sometimes do.

If there isn't an auto feeder for wet food, can I safely leave a pile of wet food in the bowl?

We use these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX6J8FV/

They work fine (you can get double ones also). They have little ice pack things to put under the food, too. They're not perfect, but I did a bunch of searching and it was the best I could find. The majority of timed feeders are for dry food.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sadly, the Pawbot is not available yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_cgH4HUI8E&t=68s

(and probably never will be)
(also it was $4000)

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Boogalo posted:

(also it was $4000)

Sweet unholy mother of balls, that's pricy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Boogalo posted:

(also it was $4000)

lol that thing is 100% guaranteed to break in a week.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Boogalo posted:

(also it was $4000)

I like how they put little eyes on the robot arm for personality. :3:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
For $4000 I'd rather just hire someone to come give my cats wet food while I'm gone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sweetheart had her first vet visit at the vet we found locally (as opposed to the one she was going to when she was at the rescue) and got a clean bill of health. :3:

(requisite tax payment)

She did really well and the vet praised how calm she was.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Someone could make a pawbot that works and costs less than 1/8 if they didn't try to use a robot arm to do everything.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

taqueso posted:

Someone could make a pawbot that works and costs less than 1/8 if they didn't try to use a robot arm to do everything.

I'm actually a bit surprised someone hasn't already made an automatic feeder with Keurig-style proprietary food packets/cans. Hell, tie it into smart home stuff so I can schedule it or command it from my phone or Google Home and I bet it'd sell.

Assuming it wasn't $4000.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Protocol7 posted:

For $4000 I'd rather just hire someone to come give my cats wet food while I'm gone.

No kidding. I get along with at least one of my 100 neighbors and we each have cats and just share feeding duties when the other is out of town and exchange bottles of scotch and gin.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

incogneato posted:

I'm actually a bit surprised someone hasn't already made an automatic feeder with Keurig-style proprietary food packets/cans. Hell, tie it into smart home stuff so I can schedule it or command it from my phone or Google Home and I bet it'd sell.

Assuming it wasn't $4000.

The wet food pouches might work as is, they are pretty close to the packs used by that ripoff juicer thing with DRM.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

For what its worth, I used to be one of those "higher cost = better product" type of people. In general, that's true, in that you probably don't want to be buying the bottom barrel tier of product of any type, including food, but you probably also don't need to buy Blue Wilderness Organic GMO-free Free Range Special Diet cat food for your cat.

I did feed my cats Blue for a while and now they are eating Purina One and they are not any less healthy or any fatter. At least, in no vet visits did the vet ever show concern over the weight of any of my cats, and they've all been said to have great pearly whites.

I feed mine blue but it is honestly more for my sake then theirs. It's the only thing I have found that doesn't turn them into walking war crimes when it comes litter box time.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm looking at adopting a couple cats (since I'm home most of the time with health issues and depression).. do you recommend a set that's already been proven to work well toghether, or does it not matter as much with younger cats?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Existing bonding pairs are harder to adopt out, I believe, so if you specifically look for one the rescue/shelter will be thrilled.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Get a pair, even with younger cats sometimes they just have incompatible personalities so why take the risk they won't be adorable buddies when you can get two who already are?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Buddy cats are great. They will force their love on each other.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

SirFozzie posted:

I'm looking at adopting a couple cats (since I'm home most of the time with health issues and depression).. do you recommend a set that's already been proven to work well toghether, or does it not matter as much with younger cats?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Existing bonding pairs are harder to adopt out, I believe, so if you specifically look for one the rescue/shelter will be thrilled.

To clarify for the OP, existing bonded pairs are harder for shelters to find people willing to adopt (many people are only looking for one cat at a time). It's not harder for you to do the adopting, and shelters love you for adopting bonded pairs.

At my local shelters, there are always a handful of pairs and the signs make it clear that the shelter would really prefer they go together.

It'll also just be easier on you as a new pet owner. You can read back through this thread (including my own posts) of people struggling and agonizing over trying to introduce two cats who don't know each other. It can be a gamble. But bonded pairs are already buddies, and will happily hang out and entertain each other.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The bonded pair I adopted are the lowest maintenance kittens I've ever seen. I'm used to kittens demanding a lot of play time and getting lonely easily but they keep each other entertained all day. Its fun to watch their endless games of chase. When I greet them in the morning they aren't absolutely exploding with energy but just want to hang with their human.

OTOH introducing cats to each other sucks. My older cat still hisses at them so I've still got them walled off from her. We're doing the site swapping / feeding close with a barrier between thing but she's still being a butthead about them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I mentioned something about this a couple of months ago but I don’t think I ever got a solid answer.

I think there might be a crazy person in my neighborhood shooting cats, but at the moment I don’t have an exact address. Is there anything whatsoever I can do about this?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
If you know who it is, you call law enforcement, but I'm not really sure what they'd be able to do without evidence. Best thing to do would be to keep your cat inside and encourage your neighbors to do the same.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My poor little dude's constipated. He's sitting in the litterbox trying to squeeze something out but nothing's happening :smith:

We're taking him to the vet in the morning, please tell me he'll be okay :ohdear:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Are you sure he's straining to poop and not to pee? Either way it's good he's seeing the vet soon, but straining at the box sends me on high bladder problems alert. It's treatable, but if he starts acting lethargic or sickly, it might be a good idea to look up some emergency vets if you can afford them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huntersoninski posted:

Are you sure he's straining to poop and not to pee? Either way it's good he's seeing the vet soon, but straining at the box sends me on high bladder problems alert. It's treatable, but if he starts acting lethargic or sickly, it might be a good idea to look up some emergency vets if you can afford them.

Not positive one way or the other, but he was running around when I got home and didn't seem too.. sickly. He's just been in and out of the litterbox a lot and sits in there for a while until walking out for a bit and going back in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's either got a blocked bladder or constipation and will need to see a doc asap.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

At the vet now. Thanks all.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

The bonded pair I adopted are the lowest maintenance kittens I've ever seen. I'm used to kittens demanding a lot of play time and getting lonely easily but they keep each other entertained all day. Its fun to watch their endless games of chase. When I greet them in the morning they aren't absolutely exploding with energy but just want to hang with their human.

OTOH introducing cats to each other sucks. My older cat still hisses at them so I've still got them walled off from her. We're doing the site swapping / feeding close with a barrier between thing but she's still being a butthead about them.

It's completely fine and normal for older cats to hiss at and bop kittens, it's how they learn good cat manners. As long as she's not making them bleed or chasing them down every time she sees them or something it's probably fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nothing crazy, bladder is small and not enlarged, and his colon isn't too big either. They weren't able to get any urine to test for crystals but they didn't think that was the problem. He's getting some fluid and we're taking him home. Still seeing the vet tomorrow though, hopefully they can grab some urine to be sure.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Now I'm wondering if you could straight cath a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I'm sure they do all the time, I know my boy Odin got a cath when he had a urinary obstruction (the brand name was "slippery sam" which amused me).

Here's Odin after his surgery to remove the bladder stones, all doped up on buprenorphine. He's so big they had to give him a dog cone.