Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

There has been a previous ruling from the Nixon era that ruled in order to have a press pass revoked you need very clear and documented reasons for doing so.

Thanks I didn't know that.

WaPo article on that case if anyone's interested: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.1c5412a3067b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

evilweasel posted:

as a northerner who lived in dc, it is every person's right who grew up with actual snowstorms to mock states that have snow days for less than a foot of snow

Sure. But right now in AAC there is ice all over the road.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/1063131179052806144

turnip kid posted:

Is it normal to show up for something like this when you haven't actually won? Do people do this? is this a first?

Not being there would hurt his legitimacy. Republicans want that to be unquestioned.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is it really a first amendment issue if Trump bans a reporter from his press conferences? Like does the press have a right to be there? Did Obama have to let in reporters from Breitbart or Infowars or whatever?

Milo asked Obama's Press Secretary to force Twitter to give his checkmark back.

The Republican got more votes but it's ranked choice, which he tried to stop after it became clear he would lose.

evilweasel posted:

as a northerner who lived in dc, it is every person's right who grew up with actual snowstorms to mock states that have snow days for less than a foot of snow

https://twitter.com/dresdencodak/status/684095376312303616

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2018

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Republican gun lovers are losing their goddamn minds over this.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201810&RIN=1140-AA52

The DOJ just issued a ruling proposal(not approved yet):

I spent all day on reddit gaslighting pro-Gun subreddits that it was in fact Republicans that hated guns and they just.... Tweeted it out

Re:weather chat I live in Texas and the hottest I've ever been was in New York City because they're a savage species with no ~central air~

let's please skip the snow/hurricane chat because it devolves into who's more prepared for what

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Having lived in many different places including areas with cold winters and snow, my experience is that people laugh at warmer climates that don't get a lot of snow and then immediately go out and forget how to drive in the first snow of the year and cause massive traffic problems as everyone runs off the road or rear ends everyone else and then maybe a few weeks later everyone remembers "oh yeah I have to actually drive more carefully when there's snow and ice on the road"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Young Freud posted:

As a resident of Texas, we freak out the second a snowflake hits asphalt.

OTOH, we laugh at you northerners who get worried when the temperature spikes over 90 degrees in the summer.

We here in New England are faithful servants to the almighty Snowmiser

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sorus posted:

Sure. But right now in AAC there is ice all over the road.

The streets and sidewalks here in the city are pure slush, with fun little patches of ice underneath. Good times!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Push El Burrito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRa2sFQ3d3k

Not pictured, packed stores with everyone buying up all the milk and bread.

Did someone say bread and milk?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Skex posted:

In Texas it kind of depends where you are, In the Panhandle where I'm originally from people know how to handle it because it's pretty common (I have pictures somewhere of my son playing the snow at my grandmothers funeral in May) but in the more southern parts of the state forget it, people suck at driving in it and we lack the infrastructure to support it. On the other hand we got to laugh for years at all the northern cars with rusted out floor boards and undercarriages from all of the corrosion caused by the salt on the roads.

People in Austin were dressed up like they were about to compete in the Iditarod once the temps got much below 60s, it was pretty pathetic.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

The amount of graft and patronage thrown at Amazon's feet would make any sports team owner die of a priapism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seems to me there's a reasonable legal argument in favor of the bump stock definition.

An automatic weapon uses the recoil from the firing action to reset and reengage the trigger mechanism without an independent trigger input from the user. The bump stock is doing the same thing, just with the storage and release of the recoil energy occurring outside the weapon, and there is no independent input from the user, the bumpstock mechanism pushes the rifle back onto the users finger to reengage the trigger.

You could make a textualist argument that the original authors didn't intend external modifications to count, so really it could go either way and will probably come down to the ideology of the judges. SCOTUS is Republican so they might strike it down just cuz but on the other hand maybe not. The NRA actually supports using existing law to ban bump stocks. Which is probably surprising to the dumbshit true believer gun nuts out there, but is actually not surprising if you look at what the NRA actually is: a lobbying arm for gun manufacturers. Since gun manufacturers don't make money on bump stocks, the bad publicity from supporting bump stocks wouldn't be worth it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that's the difference between northern and southern snow. In the south we 1) don't have large scale institutional prep because the events are rare, and 2) the snow almost always melts and refreezes into a thin layer of ice over everything

Here in Michigan I laugh and scoff at your puny levels of snowfall :smug:

(Please save me; winter is coming and we will all die in the super blizzards :ohdear:)

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Levitate posted:

Having lived in many different places including areas with cold winters and snow, my experience is that people laugh at warmer climates that don't get a lot of snow and then immediately go out and forget how to drive in the first snow of the year and cause massive traffic problems as everyone runs off the road or rear ends everyone else and then maybe a few weeks later everyone remembers "oh yeah I have to actually drive more carefully when there's snow and ice on the road"

This is pretty much my experience. I grew up in the Western NY snowbelt where it snows 100+ inches a year (one year when I lived in Syracuse it snowed 180!) and I saw people driving around like loving lunatics all the time. Every rear end in a top hat in a AWD vehicle drove down the highway and normal speeds and it wasn't uncommon to pass them spun out in a ditch on the side of the road 10 minutes later. People don't know how to drive in the snow across the board, despite where you might have grown up.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

About 10 years ago I worked during a blizzard where we got 2 feet of snow. You would not believe the people who ventured out in it not for milk and bread, but for beer and ice cream.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Your Taint posted:

I'm over here in Wisconsin LOL'ing.

I know it can cause problems in places that don't often see snow, but it's still amusing to me seeing people shut down over an inch of snow.

I was in Atlanta when the city shut down in 2011 and again in 2014. The snow instantly turned to ice on both the road and sidewalk, and it was absolutely the worst driving or walking conditions I've ever seen - doubly so because Atlanta is very bumpy. A huge number of motorist were stranded and ended up walking miles over ice, resulting in quite a few serious injuries. I grew up in Alaska, but I'm never laughing at southern snow again.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I bought milk, tissues, and paper towels this morning. It didn't have anything to do with the snow, we just needed those things, but it was sort of embarrassing nonetheless.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I honestly think if you put everyone in simulators and did rigorous tests on "I know how to drive in snow" you'd find like, maybe a 10% difference between normal people. People really really want it to be a personal responsibility thing and believe when they see someone in a ditch and it's them not me that it's because I'm a better person with more skills and they are a failure and a fool, instead of them hitting ice a certain way to have their car slip and me hitting it a different way and it just being a roll of some ice dice.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I was traveling at the time and Atlanta is a major hub so ice on the runway basically screwed the whole country over, but I remember hearing that the city owned ONE plow. Not really surprising and I'm sure most southern places don't have any at all, but simple infrastructure for dealing with weather is something everyone takes for granted.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
What happened to those cops that fraudulently arrested Stormy Daniels anyways?

edit: just googled it and the FBI is investigating the entire Vice unit of the Columbus police department. Lol

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 15, 2018

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Dubar posted:

I was traveling at the time and Atlanta is a major hub so ice on the runway basically screwed the whole country over, but I remember hearing that the city owned ONE plow. Not really surprising and I'm sure most southern places don't have any at all, but simple infrastructure for dealing with weather is something everyone takes for granted.

I'm an Atlanta native, we own a bunch of salt trucks and plows, more than most southern cities because we're a highway hub and the world's busiest airport, but the problem is when it snows here, it melts down during the day, and at night or when the temp drops, it turns to ICE. Very hard, very thin ice. The ice is immune to salting, and it's too narrowly pressed to scrape with a plow. Snowmelt/ice is the major hazard, not really the snow itself. In 2014, I had just got back from my last tour of active duty, up in the mountains we were okay because of 4WD, tractors, and ATVs, but in the city I had friends stranded on the interstate for 30+ hours.

Every time something bad happens, the government says they'll do something, but then people get angry when their SPLOST/tax dollars go to pay for it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1063135874429472769

:zenpop:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Eat the Rich (Olds)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Proud to say that all Boomers that I consider family voted straight Dem.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

I'm an Atlanta native, we own a bunch of salt trucks and plows, more than most southern cities because we're a highway hub and the world's busiest airport, but the problem is when it snows here, it melts down during the day, and at night or when the temp drops, it turns to ICE. Very hard, very thin ice. The ice is immune to salting, and it's too narrowly pressed to scrape with a plow. Snowmelt/ice is the major hazard, not really the snow itself. In 2014, I had just got back from my last tour of active duty, up in the mountains we were okay because of 4WD, tractors, and ATVs, but in the city I had friends stranded on the interstate for 30+ hours.

Every time something bad happens, the government says they'll do something, but then people get angry when their SPLOST/tax dollars go to pay for it.

I'm honestly not sure what could even be done outside of shutting down the city. Like you say, plowing the ice is totally impractical, so that just leaves salt and/or gravel and neither are great for daytime thaw / nighttime freeze cycles. Gravel will just sink into the ice when it gets mushy during the day, and is really only marginally effective when not paired with AWD vehicles + winter tires.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

Eat the Rich (Olds)

Too many preservatives. Hard pass.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TulliusCicero posted:

Ben's rear end saying "some dude" is a very "how do you do fellow kids" vibe for me

gently caress off rear end-Man, you are in your late 40s
There are many reason to poo poo on Sasse but this is a dumb one. He's on the upper edge of gen x and was a teenager in the 80s, "dude" is not a millennial invention
one of the partners I work for loves to smugly tell me that I'll become a conservative when I get older and wiser. maybe 45 is the threshold. can't wait

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kimsemus posted:

Atlanta has something like 40-50 plows, which is better than 1 but still an order of magnitude less than a city that's really prepared for snow. Boston has something like 600 plows, and it's still not enough to avoid transit here making GBS threads the bed. We still had a bunch of closures, although some were due to extreme cold rather than sheer volume (you don't want kids out in sub-zero weather waiting for buses).

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1063135679897628672

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Soothing Vapors posted:

There are many reason to poo poo on Sasse but this is a dumb one. He's on the upper edge of gen x and was a teenager in the 80s, "dude" is not a millennial invention
one of the partners I work for loves to smugly tell me that I'll become a conservative when I get older and wiser. maybe 45 is the threshold. can't wait

There are studies out recently that show most of the "people getting more conservative as they age" effect is actually poorer, more liberal people dying younger.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pictured: The King of Dudes

Tell the partner to gently caress off. "Turning conservative as you age" is a myth, and it's pretty much just the Boomers that were (and have always been) overrun by assholes. And it's likely due in part to fetal/childhood lead exposure.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is that CNN court ruling still due in an hour or so?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Your Taint posted:

Delayed to tomorrow

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Your Taint posted:

Postponed until tomorrow at 10 AM.

Edit: so close.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus christ it is a massacre

https://mobile.twitter.com/maddow/status/1063137090576310273

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

And we're coming for her job next.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Proud to say that all Boomers that I consider family voted straight Dem.

This. Living in NH a lot of my family used to be “independent “ but now they all vote straight D. My father in particular used to be independent but usually voted straight R, but now just mentioning the R party to him sets him off on a tirade about how worthless they are and how he can’t believe he ever trusted them with anything. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

He also used to be dead-set against immigrants but now he volunteers at migrant shelters in his retirement. He’s kind of awesome in his old age.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Avenatti would have been sink if Wohl and his Surefire "intelligence" "agency" hadn't popped up and said something. I was watching Wendy Williams and she brought it up Avenatti and said that she thinks it's a setup, although she's waiting for more information.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1063090245053366272

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1063145421642575872
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1063146217960599552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are studies out recently that show most of the "people getting more conservative as they age" effect is actually poorer, more liberal people dying younger.

Yep, most people's partisan affiliation is set during their early adulthood and never changes. The biggest conservative cohort is the late Boomer/early GenXers who came of age during the Reagan Era. Them and the Silents, who came of age during the collapse of the New Deal Coalition during Vietnam and were turned on conservativism by Goldwater and Nixon.