Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wish if you got excommunicated and then ate the prestige hit to get it lifted, that the Pope couldn't just excommunicate you immediately again the next day. Give it a 5-10 year cooldown at least. Jesus Christ.

Dealing with the Pope in general is a massive pain in Italy unless he is happy and fat with a huge Papal States to rule.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Sad story time: I've been playing my Ghana game when I have the time, and the new warrior lodge/dueling mechanics are super fun. Instead of trying to own all holy sites and reform immediately, I'm trying to bring all of the tribal holdings out of the dark ages, but to keep my northern border safe from invasion or holy war, I've created tributary states of Songhay and not-quite-Mali. The chieftess of Yatenga, not-quite-Mali, was a child when she declared she didn't need to pay my tribute anymore. I wasn't having any of that. She turned 16 on the eve of battle, and her first experience as an adult was getting maimed, three times in the same battle.

RIP in pieces.

Been thinking about converting to EUIV, had a question. How do nomads play/convert to that game? Might be fun if the ironman game goes belly-up.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Are bloodlines in the patch, or dlc only? I have a UI slot for bloodlines now, but I think it's always empty...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Do animal kingdoms ever spawn in smaller bunches? I've been trying to land Ireland as Dogs and England as Cats and it seems animals culture bomb huge areas and can't split that area up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Asproigerosis posted:

am I a coward if I take off shattered retreat? It's absolutely miserable crushing a stack only for them to lose maybe 20% and having to chase them around instead of sieging.

Grab a siege leader of some variety and just take down a country or two while their army is on extended holiday. Killing a 10k stack 20 dudes at a time in two second no morale battles isn't that entertaining either

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

pidan posted:

Are bloodlines in the patch, or dlc only? I have a UI slot for bloodlines now, but I think it's always empty...

I think depending what start date you pick there may not be bloodlines already in the game. You can take an ambition to create a new one though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I'm obviously playing West Africa first but after that I'm giving serious thought to a loyal Papal vassal republic game. Make fat stacks, be the power behind the Throne of Saint Peter, get your nephews elected Pope and launch the Fourth Crusade.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

evenworse username posted:

I think depending what start date you pick there may not be bloodlines already in the game. You can take an ambition to create a new one though.

Nope, there are always bloodlines. Charles Martel or Sasan Sassanid died before even the Charlemagne start.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Huh, apparently you can pretty much just win the Crusades now.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/9xbsvj/you_can_now_win_the_crusades/

Forming the Empire of Outremer not only destroys both Caliphates, but also makes the entire Arabian peninsula a new de jure empire and gives you an insanely powerful bloodline for being the most badass Crusader King hey, that's the name of the show! who ever lived.

quote:

Damage Against Religious Enemies: +20%

Monthly Prestige: 0.30

Personal Combat Skill: +10

Christian Opinion: +5

Convert Counties to your Religion faster.

Most of the hype from Holy Fury is pagan-focused but I love that there's a ton of kickass Christian stuff too. :black101:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 15, 2018

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I feel like a failure if the first character I'm playing doesn't score a bloodline.

Also, the mali goldmines weren't as good as I thought they would be, they can dry up and then I'm out of gold. :berned:

That Guy Bob fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 15, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

People who get granted full Sainthood (not just Beatification) posthumously generate s bloodline. So I’m still holding out hope for Cadwgan.

ninjahedgehog posted:

gives you an insanely powerful bloodline for being the most badass Crusader King

That’s just a bog standard Crusader King bloodline. My sponsored kinsman got that when he became King of Sicily following a crusade.

Sure he got the bloodline, but my ruler got the title “Sword of Jesus Christ” :black101:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 15, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really REALLY wish there was a way to see how reformation stuff reacts. It's not even simple to figure out after you've reformed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All I know is don't take warmongering.

You'll instantly tank your MA because your vassals will constantly declare holy wars on neighbours 10 times the size of them.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Yeah, some kind of "synergizes with" note would be nice. I like that it's not too explicit, though - it's fun to discover stuff.

I still think that reformed paganism could really use dynamically-arising variants or heresies instead of just "Old X". It'd be neat if, a hundred years down the line, a once-united religion could have their own little version of the Great Schism or the Shia/Sunni split.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
This newer, more aggressive papacy is really tripping me out. I'm in constant fear of being excommunicated now as I try to forge an empire. Not complaining, mind, it's a huge improvement over just doing whatever I want and telling the Pope to shove it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

All I know is don't take warmongering.

You'll instantly tank your MA because your vassals will constantly declare holy wars on neighbours 10 times the size of them.

Take Relentless instead.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
what do you mean INCREDIBLY POOR ???

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I really wish there was a way to join random wars. I noticed there is a revolt going on to put the last Merovingian back on the throne, but I can't join it because I'm playing a Norse guy. Karloman only has 1k troops (he got absolutely destroyed when he tried attacking Hispania), so I've been raiding everything of his I can, but it's still taking forever for the revolt to progress. Last I checked it was around 30%, but they only have around 3k troops, so I'm worried that if Karloman gets enough money for some mercs that he'll win handily.

At least I've made an absolute poo poo ton of money+prestige from all of the raiding. Ragnar may only be 6 years old, but he's already the most prestigious Norseman alive.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of bloodline merging, Old Gods Zoroastrians have a pretty easy opportunity for it. Vandad and Farah Karen have Parthian Blood, representing being descended from one of the Parthian clans that allied with the Sassanids, while Rostam Bavandid, the Zoroastrian vassal of the Alavids directly to the west of the Karen lands, and his son are descendents of Sasan himself and thus have his bloodline. As the Alavids are already a tempting target for the Karenas, and Rostam a potential ally for Vandad even if you don't quickly vassalize him, merging the two bloodlines is not only a strong move, it's really easy and can happen with little deviation from what you probably would be doing anyway.

On a tangent, perhaps somewhat ironically Parthian Blood is actually more useful than Sasan's bloodline, at least initially; the former gives an opinion boost with Iranians and can attract great warriors if you're Zoroastrian, while the latter's opinion boost is with Zoroastrians and maybe something else I'm forgetting while away from my computer, for their primary benefits. Since there are a lot of Iranians but few Zoroastrians of importance initially, and Vandad is likely to be on the warpath from the start and for a long time, the former is a lot more helpful, while the latter will most only matter after you have a larger realm with multiple Zoroastrian vassals, so while incorporating it into your line is a good idea if you survive long enough, it's not hugely pressing. Just make sure the Bavandids don't get eliminated or driven outside of your sphere of influence, because you'll want it sooner or later.

Different bloodline topic, since it took me a little while to find it, if you want to see a list of all living members of a particular bloodline, open up the bloodline menu (whether through clicking the button on a character with that bloodline or via clicking on that bloodline in the ledger), then click the bloodline button at the bottom of the founder's portrait. It's a nice little feature for hunting down members of whatever bloodline may interest you.

binge crotching posted:

I really wish there was a way to join random wars. I noticed there is a revolt going on to put the last Merovingian back on the throne,

That can happen now? That's really cool. I mean, it probably could happen before too, but given the addition of a Merovingian bloodline I wouldn't be surprised if that made it more likely. That's neat.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 15, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

GHOST_BUTT posted:

This newer, more aggressive papacy is really tripping me out. I'm in constant fear of being excommunicated now as I try to forge an empire. Not complaining, mind, it's a huge improvement over just doing whatever I want and telling the Pope to shove it.

It probably needs a tiny bit of fine-tuning because no matter how much the Pope wants the Duchy of Ferrara, un-excommunicating a King for going on a crusade only to excommunicate him again while he's neck deep fighting infidels in the Holy Land is excessive and would have caused a huge ruckus for a real Pope.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sulphagnist posted:

It probably needs a tiny bit of fine-tuning because no matter how much the Pope wants the Duchy of Ferrara, un-excommunicating a King for going on a crusade only to excommunicate him again while he's neck deep fighting infidels in the Holy Land is excessive and would have caused a huge ruckus for a real Pope.

In my first Ireland campaign I won the first crusade, the pope died like 2 minutes after the crusade ended, and I got excommunicated immediately by the new one. Pope AI be crazy

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sulphagnist posted:

This could probably be solved fairly easily by adding a (---- Recently Repented) reasons modifier lasting five-ten years, and maybe another one (--- On Crusade), I'd imagine.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Roland Jones posted:

That can happen now? That's really cool. I mean, it probably could happen before too, but given the addition of a Merovingian bloodline I wouldn't be surprised if that made it more likely. That's neat.

Theodoric's been around since Reaper's Due, I think, but he's an unlanded monk so you can't start as him. In the Charlemagne start he's one of a handful of people with strong claims on West and Middle Francia, so anyone with a bone to pick with Karl has a pretty good chance of backing Theo for the throne.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

pidan posted:

Turn off everything that annoys you. It's your game.

I like defensive pacts. It's fun when you decide to de jure claim some county and it kicks off world war one. If you want to paint the map, turn it off I guess.

I understand it's not really in keeping with the time period, but it would be cool if you could make pacts and alliances that would lead to poo poo like this without requiring a marriage or family relationship

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sulphagnist posted:

That's definitely part of it but the other part is that it doesn't seem like sending my court chaplain to just perpetually suck Pope dick works that well anymore, although maybe I've just had a string of wildly incompetent chaplains.

The reasons modifier solution seems elegantly simple though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In my Britannia game I was on a non stop excommunication train from every pope, despite being Catholicism's sole saviour and single handed winner of multiple crusades. I was the only kingdom to stay Catholic at one point, the only one to join the crusade to liberate Rome, the only one in North Africa, and the only one for the first crusade against Hispania. I was also the most pious person alive at a few points. The Pope was just so pissed off about my free investiture I guess.

Turns out it's also really easy to push an anti-pope's claim to the title, and that solved all my problems.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

GHOST_BUTT posted:

That's definitely part of it but the other part is that it doesn't seem like sending my court chaplain to just perpetually suck Pope dick works that well anymore, although maybe I've just had a string of wildly incompetent chaplains.

The reasons modifier solution seems elegantly simple though.

my first move with my chaplain is always to send him to improve relations in Rome, and it's very very inconsistent. sometimes my hand picked 25 learning guy grows old and dies without ever doing it, sometimes the 8 learning dude auto-generated at start fires it three times in a decade. I can never predict if it'll do me any good.

what I can predict, however, is that if I install a new chaplain and forget to put him in Rome, within a month he'll out my spouse/heir/friend as a heretic and piss me right off

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Quorum posted:

This could probably be solved fairly easily by adding a (---- Recently Repented) reasons modifier lasting five-ten years, and maybe another one (--- On Crusade), I'd imagine.

This would be my solution, and then you just need to tune the number of years; and certain events could reset it, like if you're actually a horrible bastard, then yes, you do get to be excommunicated again because your repentance was clearly false. Other traits could even make you immune to it, like if you won a crusade.

edit: And it's not just me bitching, I see a lot of excommunication-induced wars breaking AI realms down.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 15, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Seems like every game I play 7000 heretics appear and annex the entire kingdom I'm a count in

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ninjahedgehog posted:

Theodoric's been around since Reaper's Due, I think, but he's an unlanded monk so you can't start as him. In the Charlemagne start he's one of a handful of people with strong claims on West and Middle Francia, so anyone with a bone to pick with Karl has a pretty good chance of backing Theo for the throne.

Oh, yeah, I know he's been there, I've just never heard of non-players trying to put him back on the throne. But since I personally haven't played in Charlemagne Europe much and most stories about him I heard involved other players trying to do stuff with him, I suppose that makes sense.

On a tangent from that, are there any legit ways to become a Merovingian (in terms of house, not just getting the bloodline, which is probably fairly easy), or switching houses in general? Besides renaming things with the customization DLC, since that's not a "real" change.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Land the Merovingian and then switch characters?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've had the ai put Theodoric on the French throne before, so it definitely can happen!

Speaking of ai, though, has anyone had the ai reform a religion yet? I've had it happen before holy fury, and right now me and Saxony both have two of the holy sites. If the ai will reform I need to do it like... now, but if not I could wait until the viking age.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Playing ironman again for the first time in a while (no mods) and I forgot how fun it was to gleefully accept demands that are supposed to be terrible. Oh, the faction wants me to play as the strong handsome uncle instead of a hunchbacked child? Oh noooooo

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

big dyke energy posted:

I've had the ai put Theodoric on the French throne before, so it definitely can happen!

Speaking of ai, though, has anyone had the ai reform a religion yet? I've had it happen before holy fury, and right now me and Saxony both have two of the holy sites. If the ai will reform I need to do it like... now, but if not I could wait until the viking age.

I saw it happen for Bön while playing a game in Africa, but I'm not sure if there's any special restrictions when you and the AI power in question are the same religion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

big dyke energy posted:

In my African game, the Norwegians/a descendant of Harald Fairhair reformed the Norse faith. You can disable the AI reforming on game start, but you probably didn't do it.

African pagans have a cool warrior lodge power. Forging fetishes gives relatively easy access to high tier artifacts.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Land the Merovingian and then switch characters?

Something you could do in an Ironman game, I mean. Unless that is possible and I just don't know how.

Anyway, man, it seems like I should start playing in Europe again too, between this and other stuff I've seen in the DLC. I still need to do stuff in Africa, mess with other pagans, do a shattered/random world thing for real, succeed in an Ironman Zoroastrian run... I need to play more in general, really. I haven't messed with the game in a while.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

my first move with my chaplain is always to send him to improve relations in Rome, and it's very very inconsistent. sometimes my hand picked 25 learning guy grows old and dies without ever doing it, sometimes the 8 learning dude auto-generated at start fires it three times in a decade. I can never predict if it'll do me any good.

I'm almost a century into the Brittany -> Britannia game I started last night and it's fired once, but it targeted a vassal bishop instead of the Pope himself :negative:

On the whole though, as I said, this isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's encouraged me to be performatively pious as I quietly gobble up neighboring realms. It's definitely made the monastic orders more appealing due to their high likelihood of giving you heavenly virtues as well as the inherent church opinion bonus just for membership.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

big dyke energy posted:

Friend of mine had Saxony reform Germanic last night. They had control of Saxony, Denmark, Norway and Sweden for decades before he could, so he was probably missing the piety or MA.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

Crusader Kings 2: Enemy killed pet cat. Went berserk. Still counting coup, full AAR follows

One of her descendants has turned into an even greater badass old murder lady (dragon).

She went on an epic journey to not-Russia to fight it's champions then chain killed about eight bad asses in separate duels whilst accumulating injuries. Fortunately no permanent injuries, she is completely immune to those. Now she has this cool bloodline trait and so do all of her female line descendants.

Currently pictured kicking in the teeth of the triple-dragon-king of the rest of sub Saharan Africa, Morocco and most of Spain. Her retinue tends to engage in fights with equal or slightly larger forces then literally kill everyone whilst taking maybe 1-200 losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:siren:

Crusader Kings 2 is 75% off and all the DLC is 50% off on Steam for the next 24 hours.

:siren: