Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Delayed to tomorrow

Is that good, bad, or meh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

cities debasing themselves in a bid to get an Amazon HQ is pretty loving gross

maybe if u taxed Amazon like the behemoth they are you could use that money to invest in your city! what a thought!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Your Taint posted:

Is that good, bad, or meh?

It's probably just because of the snow

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Are we talking about laughing at other people? Because I still feel a warm breath of shame from when I got scared about a tornado in Kansas.

It was an F1 a couple miles away and my friends acted like I was being scared of a rabbit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Soothing Vapors posted:

There are many reason to poo poo on Sasse but this is a dumb one. He's on the upper edge of gen x and was a teenager in the 80s, "dude" is not a millennial invention
one of the partners I work for loves to smugly tell me that I'll become a conservative when I get older and wiser. maybe 45 is the threshold. can't wait

It doesn't actually work like that. It's more that there are more conservative generations and more liberal generations. Most adults don't change much.

Edit: beaten.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 15, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Carlosologist posted:

maybe if u taxed Amazon like the behemoth they are you could use that money to invest in your city! what a thought!

But if they were going to be taxed like that they wouldn't move there.

But you should give the breaks you were willing to give them to stimulate small business growth or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Carlosologist posted:

You get that the reason they give perks to attract stuff is because they then get the tax money right? That is the literal whole concept of this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Amazon got literally 2x times the offers they got from New York and DC at other locations and still didn't go there, because it was never about the incentives. They already knew where they were going before they started this little grovel-fest. It was simply a matter of eating the public's lunch because they knew they could.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Amazon got literally 2x times the offers they got from New York and DC at other locations and still didn't go there, because it was never about the incentives. They already knew where they were going before they started this little grovel-fest. It was simply a matter of eating the public's lunch because they knew they could.

Boy if I'm an active voter in some of these cities that debased themselves only to be turned down by Bezos in the end, I name and shame the electeds responsible until the next elections and give them the heave ho. What whores.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mantis42 posted:

Yep, most people's partisan affiliation is set during their early adulthood and never changes. The biggest conservative cohort is the late Boomer/early GenXers who came of age during the Reagan Era. Them and the Silents, who came of age during the collapse of the New Deal Coalition during Vietnam and were turned on conservativism by Goldwater and Nixon.

I'm an early X'er who grew up under that gently caress Ronald Reagan and I can't explain how people who were teenagers at that time could grow up to be conservative assholes. I remember Watergate and Vietnam, and the Cold War and goddamn there wasn't a single bright spot to the "conservative" movement from that time all the way up to right now.

Back in high school I had a pin on my jacket with an unflattering caricature of Reagan and the words "SENILE DRIBBLING FOOL" and only one classmate had a negative reaction to it and I told him he could pound sand.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The new aristocracy's favorite pastime is mocking their own subjects.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pelosi should throw her support behind someone more visibly progressive than her but less publicly demonized and famous. That way she is not "ousted", people who pledged against her can honor that pledge and kind of have to vote for the only viable candidate.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The new Foreign Minister of Brazil believes climate change is a Marxist plot.

Trivia: Did you know Amazon was named after a now extinct rainforest?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Pelosi should throw her support behind someone more visibly progressive than her but less publicly demonized and famous. That way she is not "ousted", people who pledged against her can honor that pledge and kind of have to vote for the only viable candidate.

She should go back in time 8 years and start grooming this hypothetical person for the position

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jlemonsk/status/1062477197469011968

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You get that the reason they give perks to attract stuff is because they then get the tax money right? That is the literal whole concept of this.

Theoretically but in practice the tax revenue is often the first thing that gets handed back to the corp.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm an early X'er who grew up under that gently caress Ronald Reagan and I can't explain how people who were teenagers at that time could grow up to be conservative assholes. I remember Watergate and Vietnam, and the Cold War and goddamn there wasn't a single bright spot to the "conservative" movement from that time all the way up to right now.

Back in high school I had a pin on my jacket with an unflattering caricature of Reagan and the words "SENILE DRIBBLING FOOL" and only one classmate had a negative reaction to it and I told him he could pound sand.

Reagan benefitted from the end of an inflationary cycle (Ford, Carter), he also probably screwed up Carter's situation with the Iran Hostage situation via some back-channel nonsense. Note the date when the Hostages were released, January 20, 1981, same date as Reagan's inauguration.

Also, as a former marketing person, "Morning In America" is the 2nd best political ad ever created IMHO.

Oh, and Reagan pretty much started the end of the middle class in the USA.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lemming posted:

She should go back in time 8 years and start grooming this hypothetical person for the position

It's not like anyone she chooses would be less prepared than Marcia Fudge or Tim fuckin Ryan.

I can think of someone she was grooming who is relatively progressive - Joe Crowley. How about him?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 15, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It's not like anyone she chooses would be less prepared than Marcia Fudge or Tim fuckin Ryan

I meant it as a broader criticism of Democrats that they've put zero visible effort in getting younger generations of candidates more visibility to get ready for when they get the torch passed to them

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's almost like Republicans have to cheat constantly to win.

The "Silent Majority!"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

I meant it as a broader criticism of Democrats that they've put zero visible effort in getting younger generations of candidates more visibility to get ready for when they get the torch passed to them

Well, when they try, they drool on themselves in a widely televised event

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Lemming posted:

As if anyone Pelosi started working with wouldn't be immediately labeled a bad dem.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

*sing song voice* my state is garbage!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VideoGameVet posted:

Reagan benefitted from the end of an inflationary cycle (Ford, Carter), he also probably screwed up Carter's situation with the Iran Hostage situation via some back-channel nonsense. Note the date when the Hostages were released, January 20, 1981, same date as Reagan's inauguration.

Also, as a former marketing person, "Morning In America" is the 2nd best political ad ever created IMHO.

Oh, and Reagan pretty much started the end of the middle class in the USA.

I'm curious which ad you think was the best one

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

2020 is going to be extremely dirty with the GOP trying to keep its gerrymanders in place. At some level they're probably far more concerned about that than keeping Dumbass in office.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

TulliusCicero posted:

It's almost like Republicans have to cheat constantly to win.

The "Silent Majority!"

There's some chud in the comments arguing the graphic is misleading because Milwaukee and Madison skew the numbers by having more people.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Winning the governor's race was critical. As irritating as this state house and congressional result was, winning the governor's mansion means the Dems will be able to force a "fair" map for the next decade in Wisconsin for the 2022 elections.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guze posted:

There's some chud in the comments arguing the graphic is misleading because Milwaukee and Madison skew the numbers by having more people.

Nothing more undemocratic than lots of people coexisting in the same tough geographical area

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Via Vox

quote:

Crow, an Army veteran who recently flipped a Colorado congressional district blue, also reiterated he’s an unequivocal no to Pelosi.

“Nothing’s changed,” he told Vox. “I know that’s a shock to a lot of people in DC that nothing’s changed. My position is pretty clear on it, I’m going to keep my promise.”

Remember this dude? Remember when he was in the news for a little while and everybody forgot about the humdinger he was involved in for the party primaries? That's Steny Hoyer's boy.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If the poo poo Dems manage to coup Pelosi in favor of some piece of poo poo “identity politics are bad, let’s compromise with Republicans” jackass I’m going to be pissed. Pelosi is many things but at least she can more or less lead the coalition to minimize harm while in control of only the House.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Glumslinger posted:

This is, IMHO, the greatest political ad of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Glumslinger posted:

Daisy, perhaps?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

This is a pretty normal part of doing business now. The entire visual effects industry has been moved around the country and abroad via subsidies. Canada pays 50% of vfx companies wages for them to make Avengers 4 up there with no back end participation. Literally all they care about it the "jobs" figure. Same with the Foxcon plant or a dozen other large interests. It's a tricky situation because as it becomes easier to move business around the country and world everyone gets caught up in this race to the bottom. It is self reinforcing as well because as one company gains a competitive advantage by extorting the public others have to follow the example. The odd thing about the Amazon move to Queens is that usually the community that will directly benefit from the investment helps the politicians sell the graft. In Vancouver everyone there will argue with you until they are blue in the face that their taxes paying a 50% wage subsidy is totally above board and fair and just "balances" out competitive disadvantage. Here the local community is saying gently caress you to Amazon because they see that there will likely be no upside for them. In essence they will directly subsidize the business to move in and displace them out of their community.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
This is all a New Coke style plan to get the "Dems are bad" people to come around to defending Pelosi and Schumer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's really hard to fuckin believe we basically have a democratic Freedom Caucus holding us hostage but there you are

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Daisy is hands down the most effective political ad of all time but I think the recent “we’re all [candidate]’s siblings and we’re here to tell you he’s trash” ad was probably the funniest. Did that guy lose, by the way?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rigel posted:

Winning the governor's race was critical. As irritating as this state house and congressional result was, winning the governor's mansion means the Dems will be able to force a "fair" map for the next decade in Wisconsin for the 2022 elections.

I'm not sure what they need to override a veto, but it looks like they might have it if it's the same as the federal override level :(

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

No.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
* Mike Gravel throws a rock in a pond and shuffles off *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Z. Autobahn posted:

This is all a New Coke style plan to get the "Dems are bad" people to come around to defending Pelosi and Schumer.

I’m totally willing to defend Pelosi from the right but Schumer may be a bridge too far lol.