Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/rustypolished/status/1062926919421779968?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's probably just the easiest and best way to avoid giving away potential spoilers and have people stop asking you about the movie all the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"I had to grab a green bag with tracker balls on it and spin around with a gun in the other hand. I was so sure the Russos were pranking me until I saw the movie with Rocket"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like the idea of Stan just being game for anything without question.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I was getting a Disney paycheck I probably wouldn't ask a lot of questions either

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wonder if that's gonna be a big thing going forward in movies. "Okay we're gonna pay you a bunch of money to be in this thing but you're not gonna get a script, just show up and we tell you what you're gonna do that day and then go on a pr tour and pretend you know what the movie is"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Isn't that how Iron Man 1 was made?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eventually they can just pay you for your likeness and cgi the whole works

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jamesman posted:

I think for iron man they had and outline and stuff to show rdj but they were writing the script as they went along, not just here do this thing and we're not gonna tell you why

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jamesman posted:

and Ragnarok

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

I think for iron man they had and outline and stuff to show rdj but they were writing the script as they went along, not just here do this thing and we're not gonna tell you why

If I recall, it was during the Writer’s Strike and Robert Downey Jr. was, like, calling Shane Black for ideas while they were filming.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samuringa posted:

and Ragnarok

really?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Nah, I'm exaggerating, but a lot of Ragnarok was improv.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It is a loving miracle that Iron Man was as good as it was. Jeff Bridges said the production was so chaotic that the only way he could make sense of it was pretending he was doing an indie arthouse film because a professional film couldn't possibly be run that way.

If that movie had been like... The Incredible Hulk or Ant Man or something, the entire MCU would've died right there.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Wow at putting The Incredible Hulk and Ant-Man on the same level

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm being generous to Ant-man if anything.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ant-Man is waaaaaaaaay better than TIH

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Ant-Man could've been the MCU flagship as well as Iron Man, maybe better.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lurdiak posted:

It is a loving miracle that Iron Man was as good as it was. Jeff Bridges said the production was so chaotic that the only way he could make sense of it was pretending he was doing an indie arthouse film because a professional film couldn't possibly be run that way.

If that movie had been like... The Incredible Hulk or Ant Man or something, the entire MCU would've died right there.

Ant Man rocks. It's one of my favorite MCU movies. Ant Man going into the Quantem Realm is some of the best 3D visuals from the MCU. It also has a good supporting cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ant man's the only marvel movie I wanted to bail on. At least Thor 2 had Loki in it.

Wait, maybe I wanted to bail on Iron Man 2 as well. That movie is so annoying.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I personally think Ant-Man is better than Iron Man but it's true that if it was the first movie then the MCU wouldn't be a thing. I wouldn't say that Robert Downey Jr is single-handedly responsible for the MCU getting off the ground so successfully, but the idea is not far off from the truth.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Robert Downey Jr is 100% the reason the MCU exists.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ant-Man is okay but it keeps trying to redeem a hero without letting him be guilty of actual sins.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Ant-Man. More than Iron Man's sequels, but not more than the original. Granted I haven't watched OG Iron Man in some time.

Rand Brittain posted:

Ant-Man is okay but it keeps trying to redeem a hero without letting him be guilty of actual sins.

This is also true. Scott is like a decent divorced dad whose entire character is just apologizing for life.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah but lets be real an upper middle class white woman and a cop treating even a low level criminal as a pariah is pretty par for the course irl

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will still go to bat for Incredible Hulk for being a better movie than most people give it credit for.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Madkal posted:

I will still go to bat for Incredible Hulk for being a better movie than most people give it credit for.

Me too buddy. I really enjoyed that flick. The action scenes in Brazil were stellar.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

I like the idea of Stan just being game for anything without question.

You and a million shippers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Madkal posted:

That's a movie I want to like more than I do but it really slows down in the back half. It's too bad they will never follow up on the plots left open from that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The Abomination will sucker punch Thanos and he'll drop the Gauntlet. That'll be his only scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ed Norton is great in it but I wouldn't trade Ruffalo for anything at this point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Ed Norton is great in it but I wouldn't trade Ruffalo for anything at this point.

Why though? Outside of Ragnarok, Ruffalo has been so boring and inoffensive that I can’t even think of a detailed explanation for why I dislike his Banner. He just... exists. At least Norton was somewhat interesting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Norton seemed to add a bite more complexity and turmoil to the character whereas Ruffolo just plays Banner closer to...I don't know...a Marvel films stock character .
Added to that the fight scenes in IH we're top notch and different, Roth played a great villain, and the stakes actually felt real.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Norton seemed to add a bite more complexity and turmoil to the character whereas Ruffolo just plays Banner closer to...I don't know...a Marvel films stock character .
Added to that the fight scenes in IH we're top notch and different, Roth played a great villain, and the stakes actually felt real.

I don't have a dog in the fight but would it be fair to say that it's harder to give a poo poo about Ruffalo's Banner because he's never been in a film that hasn't been an ensemble, he didn't get an origin film, and on top of that half of his screentime is split with a green CGI monster that only said three lines in his first two appearances?

I mean the fact that he's mostly been used for soft touch comic relief stuff surely doesn't help matters either, but then again that's the thing that people can't get enough of and when they try to make comic book movies gritty and serious (and also when they try to make Hulk/Banner serious, or have him date Black Widow or whatever) they end up sucking so :shrug:.

I can buy that Ruffalo couldn't carry the character if they wanted to work more pathos and Acting into it, but they're playing to his strengths for the most part.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We completely missed that two weeks ago today was the original release date for the Inhumans movie.

Haha, the Inhumans.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It's kind of unfair to compare Ruffalo to Norton since Norton did get a whole feature film where he had the lead while Ruffalo so far at best has been a supporting character with very limited screentime. I think Ruffalo could do really well if he got his own film because he is a good actor and can do both serious and comedic

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

We completely missed that two weeks ago today was the original release date for the Inhumans movie.

Haha, the Inhumans.
I try to forget about anything related to the Inhumans

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I try to forget about anything related to the Inhumans

It’d be cool if they at least tried to make a mini series out of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what the fate of the Inhumans - as a concept - within the MCU will be.

I mean, the interconnectedness of the MCU doesn't actually matter so they could just ignore them and pretend they didn't happen, but there's probably someone who has a clever idea about what to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder what the fate of the Inhumans - as a concept - within the MCU will be.

I mean, the interconnectedness of the MCU doesn't actually matter so they could just ignore them and pretend they didn't happen, but there's probably someone who has a clever idea about what to do with them.
Well I think the original idea was to make them the X-Men of the MCU, but now Disney owns the actual X-Men so....

• Locked thread