Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tsaedje posted:

She literally considers stubbornness to be her greatest virtue

Reminds me of a politician that I know across the pond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Firos posted:

It is my birthday today so I am getting a burger and chips from a chip shop and watching this government burn to the ground :munch:
Happy burgday!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rather be pushed than jump, I guess?

Though in all fairness it's not like her party has ever had the stones to actually bring her down before now, so I guess gambling that they'll fall in line and she can make up the duppers with Labour defectors is not completely insane? Why she wants to be in this position at a time like this is beyond me though. If it was me you can bet that I would have hosed right off to lobby for corporations and take cushy speaking gigs long ago.

E; Burgers are excellent Happy Birthday Firos!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Firos posted:

It is my birthday today so I am getting a burger and chips from a chip shop and watching this government burn to the ground :munch:

Merry burgmas

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Maugrim posted:

My honest opinion is she sees this deal as a great achievement that nobody else could have done any better, and prides herself on being bloody-minded enough to see it through to the very end regardless of opposition. Mummy knows best. She'll go if/when she's forced to and not before.

Well she is a #bloodydifficultwoman

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Firos posted:

Happy birthday, Firos!

I was going to go to the chippy but I couldn't be arsed so I'm glad you went for me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Firos posted:

Every chip shop burg ive ever had has been terrible, go for a nice bit of haddock instead

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So I went to Subway for my dinner earlier because my wife is out this evening and gently caress it.

Paid with a £20 note and the girl on the till was looking at it funny, I could see as she was holding it up, the light shining through it and could see some writing but not what it said. I said "Oh is there some writing on it?", she said, "Yeah, it says Hitler", "... what? Really?".

Yup.

Hitler written across the queen's forehead in purple pen, and #WhiteGenocide above that.

I was like "Wow, that's extremely not cool". Luckily it was just me and the two girls working there at the time or I might have got some funny looks but they were pretty cool about it and we had a bit of a laugh about how crazy it was.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Every chip shop burg ive ever had has been terrible, go for a nice bit of haddock instead

Or don't go to the chippy at all because chip shops suck

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gosh darn it that speach was lame. I wanted blood dammit!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Best defaced note I ever had was a tenner where someone drew a speech bubble for the queen that said 'WANK'. Just the right level of profanity. A wanknote.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

notaspy posted:

A delusional sense of duty?

A irrational, ideological fear of the left?

A genuine sense that she is the best person for the job?

The fear?

Power. She's just trying to cling on as long as possible because every day she doesn't quit is another day when she's in power. Doesn't matter that it's pretty much all theoretical by now and she can't actually do anything with it. It's a Tory thing.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Ms Adequate posted:

Rather be pushed than jump, I guess?

Though in all fairness it's not like her party has ever had the stones to actually bring her down before now, so I guess gambling that they'll fall in line and she can make up the duppers with Labour defectors is not completely insane? Why she wants to be in this position at a time like this is beyond me though. If it was me you can bet that I would have hosed right off to lobby for corporations and take cushy speaking gigs long ago.

E; Burgers are excellent Happy Birthday Firos!

May believes in brexit. All these conservatives are believers in an ideology. That's how they can look past evidence that they end up hurting people when they get power. Just ascribe it to something else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Hi do we still have a government?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So seeing some confusion on what this deal is so here's the quick rundown in fake question form.

So is this passes we leave the EU next March right?
Sort of. Until December 2020 nothing will actually change, but we should be in that time working to implement everything about Brexit that's been discussed for the past few years. We will have left the EU, but other than not getting to vote on EU matters that's all that really changes.

Unsurprisingly the Hard Brexiters hate that.

Wait so if this passes it just means May can continue to delay and do gently caress all until the end of December 2020?
Yes. Welcome to hell.

Will EU citizens get to stay?
Yes, sort of. The UK must ensure a "smooth, transparent and simple" administrative procedure for people to stay, and application forms must be "short, simple and user friendly".

So that'll be a poo poo show then?
Oh boy will it ever.

Will there be a Customs Union and Free Movement?
Maybe? That's to be decided while in the Implementation period leading up until December 2020. Until then yes we will still have those.

What happens if by some miracle we fail to achieve anything and December 2020 comes about?
That's when the Backstop hits. This means we'll be forced to allow a Customs Union between Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

What about the rest of the UK?
We'll have to have a Customs Union to trade with the EU, but it's not as strict as the rules placed on the Republic of Ireland because the EU doesn't really care if the Great Britain wants to gently caress itself over, but it won't allow us to cause trouble in Ireland. This will mean a border in the Irish Sea, Arlene Foster strangling May to death and Dover becoming a Lorry filled wasteland of rotting food.

What if we decide we don't want to do the backstop?
That's not an option, the Backstop can only be ended by an agreement with the UK and the EU.

Why do people hate that?
Because technically the EU can force us to stay in the Backstop forever, essentially trapping us in a Customs Union until the end of 2099 at which point the backstop runs out. Ireland is never going to allow a deal that creates any kind of hard border and the DUP will never allow a border in the Irish Sea. So the only option is a Customs Union. Which the DUP don't want either and neither do most Conservatives. So basically even if by some miracle this does pass nothing has been solved except we're now technically outside the EU and so we have technically Brexited. Technically.

What happens if we don't vote for it?
:iiam: Maybe we'll get No Deal, maybe a General Election, maybe the Conservatives will change Leader and try again, maybe we'll get an extension. Who knooooows.

Fans fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 15, 2018

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Thanks thread for the birthday wishes. I got a 1/2 pounder with cheese and a small chips and they were thoroughly enjoyable. The humble chip shop is definitely something worth being proud of imo. I'm now watching V for Vendetta which has been marred somewhat by the fact Eddie "BTL-Landlord-Company-Owner" Marsan is in it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Firos posted:

Thanks thread for the birthday wishes. I got a 1/2 pounder with cheese and a small chips and they were thoroughly enjoyable. The humble chip shop is definitely something worth being proud of imo. I'm now watching V for Vendetta which has been marred somewhat by the fact Eddie "BTL-Landlord-Company-Owner" Marsan is in it.
Hes a complete poo poo irl but hes a great actor.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Or don't go to the chippy at all because chip shops suck

Ban Gonzo McFee

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Firos posted:

Don't forget History's Greatest Monster

(Happy birthday!)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

CptAwesome posted:

Ban Gonzo McFee

I'm considering it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1063161679096107010
Wait, what?

A free vote just increases the chance it won't pass, and if it doesn't pass the People's Vote brigade will have a field day saying Parliament can't decide on anything so another referendum is needed. What the gently caress is she smoking?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

So I hosed off for a couple of hours and come back to see that the press are saying the PM is seriously considering listening to Penny Mordaunt's calls for a free vote

Lets say for a minute that happens. She doesn't even have the numbers to pass the bill if her whole cabinet is unified behind her, never mind if half the cabinet is allowed to vote against it. gently caress, why are we wasting time with this poo poo? Michael Gove's idea of being allowed to scrap the thing and start from scratch 4 months out from the deadline was stupid enough but at least it'd be an attempt to find something that could pass our parliament (& then obviously get thrown in the bin by Brussels because Gove is a moron), where as this is dead in the water and May seems the only one not to have noticed. Well, her and the Fubpees who are rallying around her because the spectre of Jeremy Corbyn is lurking on the horizon.

Totally beaten on that scoop by being extremely slow writing this post.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont keep track of all this brexit poo poo. my understanding was that a second vote on it was pointless because they had already passed a point of no return from the EU's perspective?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still waiting on the result of a court case on whether A50 is revokable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Relin posted:

i dont keep track of all this brexit poo poo. my understanding was that a second vote on it was pointless because they had already passed a point of no return from the EU's perspective?

Your understanding is incorrect

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Relin posted:

The EU would like to see a deal done on exiting the EU in a controlled manner because while it'll gently caress us more than anyone it'd still have some negative effects for Europe for a hard Brexit to occur & I suspect they'd be fine extending the deadline even to make that happen. Although the problem is that May has shown no willingness to do that. Dumb dumb dumb

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1063172743993192456

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1063162182416977921

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

The EU would accept us back right now if it meant an end to this bullshit. After March? Who knows? Depends on whether we're worth more to them as a member nation over them getting to cripple a nearby nuisance.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Thanks Fans!

:siren: Also after discussing it with CB and amongst ourselves, we’ve decided we won’t punish people just for mentioning pissflaps anymore as long as it doesn’t cause an extended derail. What constitutes “an extended derail” is up to interpretation. :siren:

Pissflaps is still banned from the thread tho because lol he bad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Is it too little time to arrange a bunch of goons to barrage her with questions about having stairs in her house?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is it too little time to arrange a bunch of goons to barrage her with questions about having stairs in her house?

Goons stunned to find her answer "I am protected."

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Communist Bear posted:

Goons stunned to find her answer "I am pissflaps."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfKredivMU

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Where is the Brexit dividend? Where is it? Also, what is your favourite food?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As someone who watches Brexit in the way they would a noose tightening round their neck the thing I never really understand is where the time to do anything other than “crash out of the EU with no deal” would come from; four months is not enough time for anything else to happen, right? But everyone is acting like that isn’t the case, and I don’t understand why? Is it just kicking back the point that people stop making jokes and go completely batshit insane?

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
this is so much fun, i don't know why we don't just vote on brexit every year

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Someone put the cops on notice, there's gonna be a murder

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

smiling giraffe posted:

this is so much fun, i don't know why we don't just vote on brexit every year

yeah and Satan Brexit could come through the chimney and bring us presents

all the presents would be bits of poop wrapped in expensive paper

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It all makes sense now.

Doh apologies for empty quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
My favourite bit from today is the one or two times when May warned that "if you defy my will, there may be... NO BREXIT AT ALL"

Why shiver me willikers, what a threat. Rightly my soul is shaking in terror and slivers of coldylumps form on the forehead :monocle:

(ok I'm not quite fluent enough yet in British to pull that off, doing my best here ok)