Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

It's a stupid question but not for the reasons you're thinking.

it's stupid cuz that motherfucker should have known that if the military is going to find a way to gently caress them over, they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Volunteering for the military post 9/11 is incredibly stupid, anything said/done by the enlisted is just a reflection of that, hth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hi, I’m not in the military, I just had a question.

Is it just me or is this an incredibly stupid question to ask your boss’ boss’ boss’ boss’ boss’ boss?

Like, I’m just imagining a retail employee asking the company president if they need to do [some stupid extra menial task] for a store opening. In front of everyone.

quote:

“Let’s have at it, young Soldiers,” he said. “What’s on your minds?”

It would be a pretty lovely command environment if after saying that you were punished for that question.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mods changed my name posted:

He didn't ask about something really dumb like why his nco made him do extra pt in the morning so that's not as petty as it could have been

he's probably going to get PTed like a bitch for that question by his senior NCOs, and he's definitely going to be on whatever group has to pull up all that concertina wire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

he's probably going to get PTed like a bitch for that question by his senior NCOs, and he's definitely going to be on whatever group has to pull up all that concertina wire.

also hes going to see the sun rise in the east tomorrow

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

“Are we doing anything real or just posing for publicity” seems like a reasonable question

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/pottell/status/1063057301635059717?s=21

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

“Are we doing anything real or just posing for publicity” seems like a reasonable question

Yeah no it's not exactly the question it's the "asking the question on behalf of the E4 mafia" that's going to catch hell.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

Yeah no it's not exactly the question it's the "asking the question on behalf of the E4 mafia" that's going to catch hell.

That was author-introduced commentary, not direct quote of the soldier.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

That was author-introduced commentary, not direct quote of the soldier.

Ah, whoops, but yeah I know if I had asked a question to the secdef "on behalf of the E4 mafia" I would have paid for it basically immediately afterwards.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, all of those "get lower level people together to ask higher up people questions" things are bullshit, military or corporate. The higher ups have some prepared talking points, and your job is not to ask too obviously asanine or confrontational questions to allow them to vomit forth those talking points. They're never gonna tell you something they haven't already put out in public, and they're never gonna give firm answers that they haven't already given out.

It's just mastubatory dog and pony poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hey guys the Admiral is here to see if we have any issues!

We don't have any issues, right guys??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

I mean, all of those "get lower level people together to ask higher up people questions" things are bullshit, military or corporate. The higher ups have some prepared talking points, and your job is not to ask too obviously asanine or confrontational questions to allow them to vomit forth those talking points. They're never gonna tell you something they haven't already put out in public, and they're never gonna give firm answers that they haven't already given out.

It's just mastubatory dog and pony poo poo.

I mean, they probably haven't heard all the news so as far as he knew they'd already announced that they were starting construction on "the wall" at some point in the future and these temporary fortifications would come down then or something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

Hey guys the Admiral is here to see if we have any issues!

We don't have any issues, right guys??

Every once in a while, it is the only thing that can get someone's pay unfucked.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I've done it before.

I don't even care. I'm already miserable and don't need to be there, gently caress the command climate bullshit. I got a drat job to do, and if they're going to make it all-hands and ask for my input...?

Asked the Two Star why the gently caress our computer policy in Africa was dictated by some dbags in Germany, and set up in such a way that breaks the loving networks we're supposed to be managing and supporting.

We'd gone through the proper channels for months trying to fix it, and got stonewalled. Figured I'd shoot for the Stars.

Ended up getting an email asking to explain in detail from them, and ended up getting some of the poo poo figured out.

I also think I'm on the spectrum or something, because I just do poo poo like this. It's not like I'm trying to throw anyone under the bus, I'm just tired of people up top thinking poo poo is great in their command because intermediate shitheads keep filtering out the negatives.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 15, 2018

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
God those fire weirdos are off the rails.

Fire in the fireplace burned itself out last night but there's UNBURNT WOOD END of a log RIGHT NEXT TO BURNED wood. On same log! How can this happen where thing burns but same thing right next doesn't? Conspiracy! :tinfoil:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

Ah. OK, in that context it make sense.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

That is literally the best part. They could have easily just said "wow you lot are idiots innit mate I swear on me mum" and everything would've been fine.

I honestly don't know which country is more stupid, and which country's leader is more stupid. The conservative parties in both countries are obviously and clearly corrupt, and are compromised and / or funded by dirty Russian money. It would be funny if it wasn't loving over hundreds of millions of people.

That makes it EVEN FUNNIER

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Madurai posted:

That makes it EVEN FUNNIER

I like the analogy that it’s like a car of five people voted 3-2 to drive off a cliff. And now they’re arguing about just how to drive off the cliff. And the driver refuses to simply not drive off the cliff despite absolutely having the power to just refuse to drive off the cliff.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's really good when people ask sharp but important questions like that. It's bad when someone takes 5 minutes to ask why sometimes the shopette runs out of their favorite color of energy drinks. Most commanders won't risk the latter if they have the ability not to. I think most higher-ups are aware of that and don't really like it but what are they going to do? Plus, senior enlisted is a whole different ballgame and they hate that poo poo. It still happens, which in the military is more or less tacit approval.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was really annoying when I had an MGen take away my mission resources to use for some pet project just because somebody bitched about it at an all call and she got a thrill out of “cutting through bureaucracy” without paying attention to the context

I still see it as a valid way to get poo poo done though

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We got our refrigeration trailer in Iraq because our BDE SGM that was there for a dog and pony on the border asked why there wasn't a menu whiteboard at our little DFAC. Someone wasn't paying attention to whom was asking and went 'because we have the same thing every day, duh'

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Sir, have you heard any of the rape jokes the Capt loves telling so much?"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

We got our refrigeration trailer in Iraq because our BDE SGM that was there for a dog and pony on the border asked why there wasn't a menu whiteboard at our little DFAC. Someone wasn't paying attention to whom was asking and went 'because we have the same thing every day, duh'

lol.

I got a major change by being very blunt on a conference call while not realizing 2 things: the guy whose plan I was directly poo poo-talking was a Navy Captain, not Army Captain, and the Admiral who said he would not be on the line was on the line but didn’t announce his presence.

I got yelled at, but poo poo changed!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

lol.

I got a major change by being very blunt on a conference call while not realizing 2 things: the guy whose plan I was directly poo poo-talking was a Navy Captain, not Army Captain, and the Admiral who said he would not be on the line was on the line but didn’t announce his presence.

I got yelled at, but poo poo changed!

That's always the best to correct non-maritime services when dealing with O6s.

"Why would I give a poo poo what a Captain wants," AF Major
"Navy Captain, sir," Me
"Oooooooh, right"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I had that happen a bunch of times at my old client. There was a mishmash of Navy, Army, and PHS officers all over and none of the Army officers usually had any joint time, somehow. It was amusing at times.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
2 SEALs and 2 Marine Raiders charged with murder in the Mali Green Beret murder. There are some motivation rumors, but I’ll leave that alone until clearer picture comes out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a stupid question but not for the reasons you're thinking.

it's stupid cuz that motherfucker should have known that if the military is going to find a way to gently caress them over, they will.

I can't believe the military would ever do that to someone.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

2 SEALs and 2 Marine Raiders charged with murder in the Mali Green Beret murder. There are some motivation rumors, but I’ll leave that alone until clearer picture comes out.

What the hell is a Marine Raider? Do they mean MARSOC marines?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

Yeah: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Raider_Regiment

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

They renamed themselves Raiders to sound cooler because Every Marine a PAO.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

BigDave posted:

Last time I heard of that was WW2

Yeah they rebranded in 2014 after the original Raiders rebranded in 1944 lol

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stultus Maximus posted:

They renamed themselves Raiders to sound cooler because Every Marine a PAO.

Why not just rename themselves the Hells Angels or Mongols, go full blown biker.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

tell me more you bougie cocksucker

I was trying to find the right way to come at the post of a well to do cocksucker raking his countrymen over the coals so he could make a few extra bucks via Chinese slave labor and I really think you covered all the bases for me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

Why not just rename themselves the Hells Angels or Mongols, go full blown biker.

Or if they're going to kill green berets in uniform, sicherheitsdienst

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

FAT BATMAN posted:

Ah. OK, in that context it make sense.

It is a sensible question, but it's dumb to think you'll get an honest answer. No general is going to be like "it's political bullshit" even if it is. Therefore even if it's NOT political bullshit, you can't trust the general when he says that to you. And also, you're in the military, your whole job is doing stupid poo poo because someone who outranks you says so.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

hobbesmaster posted:

Or if they're going to kill green berets in uniform, sicherheitsdienst

Halfway there already:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

I can't believe the military would ever do that to someone.

I too am skeptical of the military holding people accountable.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I saw John Cornyn walking through DCA a bit ago, he’s every bit as ghoulish rear end in a top hat looking in person as he is on tv.

E:

https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1063140516622225409?s=21

Just in case anyone reading is thinking about enlisting.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
The long ago heart felt story of the homeless man giving his last 20 to a stranded woman, which in returned raised 400k for the homeless man.. Turns out it was all a scam
https://www.ksl.com/article/46428127/couple-homeless-man-charged-in-charitable-scam