Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
everyone shut up, the important thing is we get the mods who keep banning avshalom defrocked or whatever the term is

e: also i guess read a webcomic or whatever, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

everyone shut up, the important thing is we get the mods who keep banning avshalom defrocked or whatever the term is

hell yeah

fun hater posted:

no. gently caress no.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

fun hater posted:

But both Dominic Deegan and Strong Female Protagonist ended, what am I supposed to read? Ctrl Alt Delete? Megatokyo? Sluggy Freelance?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

So Monster Pulse is currently performing No Children by The Mountain Goats as an anime OP in graphic form, have I properly understood the situation with those two amazing idiots

edit: also let it be remembered forever that I am a huge idiot and only just realized the central metaphor of MP is 'children with chronic illness'

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 8, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But both Dominic Deegan and Strong Female Protagonist ended, what am I supposed to read? Ctrl Alt Delete? Megatokyo? Sluggy Freelance?

SFP hasn't ended yet

Well in a literal sense

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Burkion posted:

SFP hasn't ended yet

Well in a literal sense

I know, but I really wouldn't bet on them finishing it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
read my webcomic you shitheads. mommas gotta eat

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

So Monster Pulse is currently performing No Children by The Mountain Goats as an anime OP in graphic form, have I properly understood the situation with those two amazing idiots

edit: also let it be remembered forever that I am a huge idiot and only just realized the central metaphor of MP is 'children with chronic illness'

It’s currently playing out an amazing tug of war between a women going “Wow, on second thought this whole thing seems like kind of a bad idea” and a man countering with “NO! This is a GREAT idea, take it from me, a man literally dying thanks to my own hubris and stupidity.”

Also, from the start Monster Pulse has been Digimon Tamers, only the Digimon are body parts and mental issues.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So yeah, Impalpable Godmass is a ridiculous thing to say. I just had to draw that moment.

I miss my old scanner.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
If you're not subscribed to John Allison's email newsletter, which has begun updating fairly regularly since his decision to stop using Facebook, you're missing out.

quote:

I was reminded yesterday evening that I have not had to commute to work for more than 15 years. Morning commuting from Mills Hill, the tiny railway platform near my then-home in Chadderton, was fraught with annoyance. Mills Hill was the second-to-last stop for the Calderdale line from Leeds, and the train around eight o'clock would stop, heaving with Calder Valley commuters. Perhaps twenty people on the waiting platform could force themselves on, the rest would have to wait for the next train from Rochdale, which always guaranteed a seat.

But here was the thing about Mills Hill: there were no signal boards. Well, there was one, but it was out of service (displaying error messages, day and night) when I arrived in 2000, and remained unreplaced until 2007, when it was felled like a tree and lay, behind the station fence, in a grave of beercans thrown by a generation of local Friday night funsters. This was pre-smartphone, pre the Live Departures website, pre-even the text service where you could pay 20p for the pleasure of finding out you were delayed or the train was cancelled. All you could do was stare at the distant rail signal, which would turn green when a train was imminent. We all did this. All eyes west. Sometimes the green was a lie. It could be a freight train. The upshot of all this was Neville.

Neville was a man of perhaps 32 who seemed fifty. With a clipped 1940s moustache, Sunday school teacher haircut, and an officious bearing, Neville was not going to risk the next train being delayed. He always wanted to get on the busy one. He was always going to be one of the twenty. Neville would force himself onto the packed stopper, his whistle-like voice entreating people packed like Tetris blocks to "PLEASE MOVE DOWN", as if he was the long 4-block that would empty the train just by his presence.

The train might be held up for two minutes as Neville worked his soft body into the throng so that the automatic door could close. The train would pull away with his victorious little face pressed against the glass, surrounded by other compressed faces of pure hatred. Neville didn't notice. Or perhaps he simply didn't care.

(There have also been +++ DESMOND FISHMAN UPDATE +++s at the bottom of each email. One recent one consisted of this one-day-only pivot to video.)

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

VERY CONVINCING, VELAS but maybe open your eyes up even wider, show him all the sincerity you got up in them

(Vattu updated)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm jonesin' pretty bad, man.....

... for ART

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I can't stop picturing unweight as basically huffing helium so his whole arc is amazing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I love the detail that every time we see his paintings they're completely devoid of blue.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Those not subscribed to John Allison's newsletter continue to be missing out.

quote:

I'd write more but I have to go and reply to people who aren't sure, when you write a tweet that says you hid a cooked sausage in your house a week ago and now can't find it, if you were telling the truth. Perhaps I will subcontract this work to the same people I used when I wrote a tweet saying my son (Proteus, 6) was stuck up the chimney and wouldn't stop playing his flute.

John

+++ DESMOND FISHMAN UPDATE +++

I FOUND THE SAUSAGE! IT WAS UP THE CHIMNEY! I ALSO FOUND A FLUTE! THAT'S WHERE JOHN KEEPS ALL HIS CYLINDERS!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
poo poo got real in sword interval. That panel with all the hands is grotesque. In a cool way though

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

thrilla in vanilla posted:

poo poo got real in sword interval. That panel with all the hands is grotesque. In a cool way though

I like Sword Interval but I LOVED Derelict. I hope Benjamin comes back to finish it. The fact he let the domain expire doesn't instill me with hope that he does though :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Remember 2007 when Something Awful's webcomic threads were a big deal in the webcomics world? What a weird time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I like Sword Interval but I LOVED Derelict. I hope Benjamin comes back to finish it. The fact he let the domain expire doesn't instill me with hope that he does though :(

What gets me is that he abandoned it just when the actual plot started to happen and something approaching a main cast finally began to assemble. Like, okay, 200 pages of set up and world building, good, now plot is happening aaaaaand it’s gone.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

What gets me is that he abandoned it just when the actual plot started to happen and something approaching a main cast finally began to assemble. Like, okay, 200 pages of set up and world building, good, now plot is happening aaaaaand it’s gone.

Yeah. I can understand why - when you're making 2 webcomics and you're only getting paid for one, you concentrate on the one making you money, lest you burn out. I just wish it was the other one :(

It seems like Sword Interval MAY be coming to its climax, so I hope he shifts back to Derelict after that. Maybe he could get it on Webtoons too?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember 2007 when Something Awful's webcomic threads were a big deal in the webcomics world? What a weird time.

thank god thats over

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i vaguely suspect that theres a bit of a personal bias on fleuters part because the sword interval is very obviously a reworking of elements he loved from his first webcomic that he wrote into a corner

but i dont have any problem w it, i like the sword interval just fine

i should reread derelict sometime to see if i see anything interesting

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tollymain posted:

thank god thats over

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean to read spfc someday but everything ive seen has told me it would mostly just reinforce my brain bullshit rn and im kind of holding on to sanity by a thread

sfp-c

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

there's probably something wrong with me, because even all these years and creator drama later i still regularly run in to situations that make me think of a pfsc comic. i wouldn't say it's uniquely brilliant or anything but it's sure stuck with me just as much, if not more then, some of what i'd consider my biggest media influences

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pfsc is one of the most beautiful webcomics ever made, and my two physical copies of the pfsc books are some of my favorite things that I own.

One of them has a dead wasp in it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jalapeno_dude posted:

Those not subscribed to John Allison's newsletter continue to be missing out.

Well I would if you'd tell me where I do that. :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
pfsc was too precious and I'm sad it was taken down now that I can appreciate it's dark humor more

"it's like prayer, except you can hear us."
"it's like riding a bike that you hate."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

there's probably something wrong with me, because even all these years and creator drama later i still regularly run in to situations that make me think of a pfsc comic. i wouldn't say it's uniquely brilliant or anything but it's sure stuck with me just as much, if not more then, some of what i'd consider my biggest media influences

It's really good at expressing the subjective experience of being severely depressed in a way that few things, especially comics, are good at expressing anything, but yeah if you're too close to that it's probably not... healthy to give that kind of thinking articulate outside reinforcement. Also it's wild that all the kickstarter backers who presumably had actually read and liked the comic were so shocked and betrayed that the author was actually a genuine crazy person unequipped to singlehandedly manage a business empire.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well I would if you'd tell me where I do that. :colbert:

Took me <5 seconds to find the link from the Scary Go Round homepage, but if you absolutely insist...https://tinyletter.com/scarygoround

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Samuringa posted:

pfsc was too precious and I'm sad it was taken down now that I can appreciate it's dark humor more

There are archives out there, though I'm afraid nobody made a backup of Campbell's followup series "Michael Keaton"

(I've got a framed print of this one)

PFSC also had one of my favorite Kate Beaton guest strips:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the one strip where a person sees peter pan outside and he says "flying is easy, you just have to think positive thoughts" and the person quietly shuts the window, draws the blinds and goes to bed

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

There are archives out there, though I'm afraid nobody made a backup of Campbell's followup series "Michael Keaton"

really? one of the last things i got out of the kickstarter was a (mostly complete) site archive that included the michael keaton comics

i still have the 'brief history of art' comic shirt from the topataco store. i still wear it from time to time. it's held up fantastically well

Oxxidation posted:

the one strip where a person sees peter pan outside and he says "flying is easy, you just have to think positive thoughts" and the person quietly shuts the window, draws the blinds and goes to bed

the use of silent beat panels in the comics is great

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

(I've got a framed print of this one)

PFSC also had one of my favorite Kate Beaton guest strips:

i... may have a couple of the michael keaton images saved.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

JethroMcB posted:

I got the entire thing downloaded and some backups but it still is sad that it's not online anymore. A lot was lost due to missing the mouse-over comments.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Most of his stuff is in the kickstarter archive, including all of pfsc and michael keaton and the dmt comics. Some of the weird videos he did aren't in it though, I dunno if they still exist anywhere.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AriadneThread posted:

really? one of the last things i got out of the kickstarter was a (mostly complete) site archive that included the michael keaton comics

Oh, I had no idea. I really enjoyed that whole series...love the comic where Michael Keaton gets to LA and immediately meets Michael Douglas.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jalapeno_dude posted:

Took me <5 seconds to find the link from the Scary Go Round homepage, but if you absolutely insist...https://tinyletter.com/scarygoround

Thank you for accommodating my laziness/blindness.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It was a good comic but it was to relentlessly negative for me to enjoy or even like reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's excellent, and, in a pinch, reading it can be used as a substitute for having a friend with major depression.