Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

We're starting to mull over getting a phone for my 11 year old stepdaughter, as she's starting to get involved in a lot more after school stuff that she may need to call from, as well as staying home alone.

We'll probably end up putting her on my Project Fi account as it's cheaper; I'm posting to ask about monitoring apps and all that junk. She already has a heavily monitored and shared Instagram account with my girlfriend. Mostly just looking for stuff to be able to track the location of the phone, control what apps are installed, who can call and all that stuff. I don't plan on being a helicopter parent that constantly hovers around, just check in sometimes and get notified about things.

Also things like restricting apps to WiFi only. That's probably going to be a setting per app? I don't want 8 gigs of lovely YouTube videos eating up the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You can use netguard to restrict apps to Wi-Fi only and you can use Google voice to allow her to call via the (presumable) Wi-Fi network at school for free

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I guess this is old news, but videos on the YouTube app get capped at 1080p now? Even the old ones I know went to 1440p.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Seems like they are for me, but my phone has a 1080p screen...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OhFunny posted:

I guess this is old news, but videos on the YouTube app get capped at 1080p now? Even the old ones I know went to 1440p.

On my Pixel 2 XL, I can still select 1440p60 for the same videos that allow it on my laptop or Xbox One X. Can't do 4K videos but the phone's screen is only 2880x1440 in the first place so 1440p is already as good as it gets here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Google's apps are being profoundly poo poo for me in the last week. Gmail, Photos etc won't sync on their own, no matter what I seem to do. Opening them up makes them do their thing just fine. The Play Store won't update any apps, they just sit there "Downloading.." without a filesize forever.

I get the feeling I'm gonna have to wipe this phone (Zenfone 3), but have is there any obvious troubleshooting stuff to try other than wiping cache?

e: I guess the Play stuff actually did download, eventually. Alright.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 10, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Google's apps are being profoundly poo poo for me in the last week. Gmail, Photos etc won't sync on their own, no matter what I seem to do. Opening them up makes them do their thing just fine. The Play Store won't update any apps, they just sit there "Downloading.." without a filesize forever.

I get the feeling I'm gonna have to wipe this phone (Zenfone 3), but have is there any obvious troubleshooting stuff to try other than wiping cache?

e: I guess the Play stuff actually did download, eventually. Alright.

This sounds like your Play Services ID got messed up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LastInLine posted:

This sounds like your Play Services ID got messed up.

Sounds plausible enough. Do I just clear the data for Play Services?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds plausible enough. Do I just clear the data for Play Services?

I knew you were going to ask and honestly I'm not sure how to fix it in a way that's sure to work. Basically what can happen is that your device becomes dissociated with the token Google thinks you have and then stuff fails in weird ways. I know what used to be the common cause of it was people clearing their Play Services data in attempt to "reshuffle the deck" for staggered OS update rollouts (basically making it seem like a new device to Google). I only mention it because your symptoms sound like those symptoms; the phone "works" but not well.

The thing is, I don't know how you'd go about fixing it that isn't the most obvious, which is wiping the device. If wiping data for Play Services broke things before and that's not your problem, well, now you have two problems. I guess if it's immediately obvious now then wiping PS data should either fix it or make it worse and you should know right away, but part of me is just like wipe the whole thing and start fresh.

Sorry if that doesn't help.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Sorry if that doesn't help.

Oh no, don't worry about that. And come to think of it, I do remember people doing what you mentioned for..might have been Nexus 4 updates or something.

I guess I'm staring down the barrel of a wipe either way - I'll clear Play Services and see if it does anything overnight, and if it's still not fixed, then, well. Guess I'll have to run through and take care of all those non-account linked token apps and such..

Thanks, though!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh no, don't worry about that. And come to think of it, I do remember people doing what you mentioned for..might have been Nexus 4 updates or something.

I guess I'm staring down the barrel of a wipe either way - I'll clear Play Services and see if it does anything overnight, and if it's still not fixed, then, well. Guess I'll have to run through and take care of all those non-account linked token apps and such..

Thanks, though!

You might be able to log out of your Google account and back in to reset it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone else had this problem? Your phone has been idle for some time. You open an app, it tries to go online but nothing happens, just sits there forever. Then you open a browser to check that you have a connection, a web page opens fine. You go back to the app, it now loads its online resource fine.

I think I figured out a bit more, since an app that has this symptom also shows SSL info like a green padlock for SSL and a redirect URL with SSL in it. It sat there without anything happening. Tried the browser thing, worked fine. Then back to the app, now something happened, the green padIock appeared and its resources loaded as normal. I wonder if whatever OS resource the app needs to set up SSL has fallen asleep and something about how the app is written fails to wake it up, thereby blocking the API call. The browser which does this for a living works fine every time.

No solution to the problem, but perhaps more meat on the bone for a bug report.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

FunOne posted:

You might be able to log out of your Google account and back in to reset it.

Yeah that might have fixed it too, but it felt nice to work with a clean slate I guess. Ah well. The wipe certainly fixed it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm trying to figure out if my phone is having some legit GPS issues or if it's just Maps being dumb. Aside from trying alternatives (which I'm planning on) is there a goon-certified app for checking what the GPS radio is doing? I've googled some recommendations but obviously I want a second opinion to make sure I'm not downloading something that will send my location to the Russians or whatever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm trying to figure out if my phone is having some legit GPS issues or if it's just Maps being dumb. Aside from trying alternatives (which I'm planning on) is there a goon-certified app for checking what the GPS radio is doing? I've googled some recommendations but obviously I want a second opinion to make sure I'm not downloading something that will send my location to the Russians or whatever.

I've always used GPS Status & Toolbox to check things like satellite lock, A-GPS state, and the like.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I've always used GPS Status & Toolbox to check things like satellite lock, A-GPS state, and the like.

seconding this. used it last year to confirm just how loving bad the gps system took a perma poo poo on my fiance's moto g

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

This app has saved my rear end and fixed things so many times. A+++

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Awesome, thanks. In my case it turns out something is just wrong with Google Maps because Waze works just fine. Hello again old friend. I'm still hoping Maps gets fixed in an update because I've got a lot of sunk cost in there, data-wise.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Used that for years, even when I'm not diagnosing GPS issues it's great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've been using it since Froyo (remember diagnosing GPS on the Galaxy Ss or G2x?) and it wasn't until like a year ago that I used survey dollars to upgrade to Pro. I probably haven't opened in it a year or more but it's easily the oldest installed third party app I have.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just today I used it to reset my A-GPS data because for whatever reason my phone's decided I was a good 2km away in the middle of a river. Resetting it and redownloading that data instantly fixed it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I just twitched irl.

Why did you have to do that? WHY?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I just twitched irl.

Why did you have to do that? WHY?

TEGRA 2

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

For content, I had the most Google thing happen yesterday. I got a legit email from Nest and Gmail put it in the SPAM folder. Way to go guys.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bull3964 posted:

For content, I had the most Google thing happen yesterday. I got a legit email from Nest and Gmail put it in the SPAM folder. Way to go guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Edit: wrong thread

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 15, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's Microsoft, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

That's Microsoft, though.

It's extremely applicable to Google too. Lighten up

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I signed up for One and one out of the two welcome emails went to spam.

A+++, would pay for service again.

Also, Inbox has officially begun nagging you to stop using it. Boo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's extremely applicable to Google too. Lighten up

But it's not.

The whole "groups attacking groups" is a commentary on how stack ranking inherently forces you to sabotage your coworker and your group to sabotage other groups. It's the defining facet of Microsoft culture and it's visible in every product.

The actual comic wasn't really that good for Google:

If it were accurate it would probably just be a bunch of bubbles and no lines at all. Google is probably best exemplified by everyone doing their own thing without oversight which is how you get GMail flagging Nest emails as spam or twenty messaging clients.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

Give me Reminders and I will, jackasses.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Molten Llama posted:

I saw that today and thought "oh, so they must be finished incorporating all the cool stuff about Inbox into Gmail now."

Nope.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you're in the beta, Pocket Casts got an (inter)facelift and, whoo-buddy, does it ever feel like a step backwards. I'm sure they'll dial it in more before the official release, but it just feels half baked at this stage. I've always thought that, despite looking slick, it was always a little clunky to use though, so maybe I'll go back to BeyondPod (now that they've gotten it back to being useable after completely loving it up)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Sir Lemming posted:

I saw that today and thought "oh, so they must be finished incorporating all the cool stuff about Inbox into Gmail now."

Nope.

If they would just make Gmail blue I'd switch back easier. The red feels so jarring now.

That and the lack of useful bundling without spending an hour setting everything up. And the archiving everything in a category or day.

I will likely unsubscribe from a lot of spammy coupon lists (looking at you, Dick's Sporting Goods and Paula's Choice skincare) that will take more effort to sort properly now than simply ignore until I look at them.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

XIII posted:

If you're in the beta, Pocket Casts got an (inter)facelift and, whoo-buddy, does it ever feel like a step backwards. I'm sure they'll dial it in more before the official release, but it just feels half baked at this stage.

I'm thrilled they finally let you listen to episodes without subscribing, but yeah, they say it's a work in progress and they're definitely right.

Right off the bat, the inactive tabs are so low-contrast they not only violate Android's accessibility guidelines (which is amusing since the redesign sketches were held up as a shining beacon of New Material), but in fact disappear even for sighted people if your screen brightness is too low. The whole tabbed interface just feels half-considered and clumsy right now.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Are there any other BeyondPod users experience problems on Pie/Pixel devices? It takes so long to load up that the OS is asking me if I want to close it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Dark One posted:

Are there any other BeyondPod users experience problems on Pie/Pixel devices? It takes so long to load up that the OS is asking me if I want to close it.

I do get that occasionally (or I'll hit play on the widget and it'll do nothing until I actually open the app, which takes 10-15 seconds), but my bigger problem is that I can't get rid of the paused notification unless I swipe it away AND THEN clear out the playlist. If I clear the playlist before swiping away the notification, it'll repopulate my playlist and start playing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I want to set up turning on mono audio when I get to work and turning on stereo audio when I leave work (or get into the car and connect to Bluetooth would work).

Tasker?

I remember there being another app, but can't remember its name.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Trigger

e: or not, that's not in its list for audio actions

e2: not entirely sure tasker has access to that setting either, none of the accessibility switches appear to

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 16, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

If you're in the beta, Pocket Casts got an (inter)facelift and, whoo-buddy, does it ever feel like a step backwards. I'm sure they'll dial it in more before the official release, but it just feels half baked at this stage. I've always thought that, despite looking slick, it was always a little clunky to use though, so maybe I'll go back to BeyondPod (now that they've gotten it back to being useable after completely loving it up)

Molten Llama posted:

I'm thrilled they finally let you listen to episodes without subscribing, but yeah, they say it's a work in progress and they're definitely right.

Right off the bat, the inactive tabs are so low-contrast they not only violate Android's accessibility guidelines (which is amusing since the redesign sketches were held up as a shining beacon of New Material), but in fact disappear even for sighted people if your screen brightness is too low. The whole tabbed interface just feels half-considered and clumsy right now.

Didn't realize this was beta but I agree it doesn't seem great. I switched immediately to the light theme and hadn't noticed the contrast on the tabs being problematic but just as the dark theme was too dark the light theme is too light. There's just no color anywhere and it's really either dreary or blinding. I like the ability to sample without subscribing and I guess the archiving thing is fine (though I preferred the sort order of unlistened at the top and everything else below) but it feels like a step backward in a lot of ways.

One thing I can't even figure out is where the playlist is. You used to be able to long press an ep and it would trigger the multi-select function which you could then add to Up Next all at once. That's no longer possible. Further, you used to be able to view the Up Next list from the playback screen and I still haven't found it (though it must be there somewhere, right?).

I really feel like the main issues with Pocket Casts, mainly playlist management and a somewhat confusing interface have been exacerbated by these UI changes rather than addressed. Discoverability has been improved and that's what the blog post on it focused on but it seems like that could've been done without draining the interface of color and making managing the playlist so much more difficult when they already weren't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I see NPR has officially begun NPRing up my favorite podcast app, great.

EDIT: That's odd, Play Store says it updated like a dozen apps 6 hours ago when I know it didn't, and which their Play Store entries are saying last updated in October, or September, or even July in the case of Weather Timeline.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 16, 2018