Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

Nintendo hasn't had one in a while, they just air a pre-recorded Direct now

Oh

No wonder they're winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It seems like Sony are going further though and just aren't showing anything

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sony will probably be back next year, they most likely didn't want to show up with only a small handful of PS4 projects when all their efforts right now are concentrated on PS5

it'd turn out a lot like that nintendo conference with nintendoland being the big closer

assuming the PS5 releases in 2020 they will definitely be at E3 2020 and make a big deal of it, but an actual PS5 reveal would not be ready for E3 2019. more likely at an end of year event or even early 2020 for the first reveal and then E3 for the game showcase

they could've done what nintendo did when they built their E3 all around one game (breath of the wild) but sony doesn't have an in-house game that is on that level. they SORT of had that "we set up a special venue for TLOU2" thing but that was kind of negatively panned which is probably why they didn't want to repeat it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 15, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a sincere malicious hope that fallout 76 eats fuckin dirt and nobody lets Bethesda forget their stupid market miscalculation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

0 rows returned posted:

I don't think they put a lot of thought into it.

basically all of nisa's pc ports feel like afterthoughts that either only work after months of patches or just never work at all, so really this is the highest they've set the bar for themselves yet

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lets hang out posted:

I've never once seen anyone ever say anything nice about the camera in any game so maybe it's harder than it seems

Camera is one of those things where you don't notice when it's working well but if it's bad it's the worst thing in the world.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I have a sincere malicious hope that fallout 76 eats fuckin dirt and nobody lets Bethesda forget their stupid market miscalculation

Until the next Elder Scrolls, which will somehow figure out how to iterate into a worse thing than Skyrim and Oblivion before it

I know a lotta people love Skyrim but good lord was the setting puke-boring to me, probably from growing up in MA where endless dreary snow and coldscapes does not impress

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Black August posted:

*entire building turns into a pyroclastic coffin as it suddenly overheats trying to render a scene*

this is the most realistic graphical rendition of darksiders i've ever seen

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Black August posted:

Until the next Elder Scrolls, which will somehow figure out how to iterate into a worse thing than Skyrim and Oblivion before it

I know a lotta people love Skyrim but good lord was the setting puke-boring to me, probably from growing up in MA where endless dreary snow and coldscapes does not impress

the 2 second logo teaser showed generic green fantasy land, so

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

the only people that give a poo poo about e3 anymore are weirdo gamers that watch the live streams and post about them in real time with other weirdos, so basically everyone itt. it doesn't really serve a business purpose anymore, because publishers have other places to deal with retailers now that doesn't require a big expo, and have better ways of getting their customers' attention

nintendo hasn't had one in like, years

Sony isn't going because they don't have anything to show and they're scared

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My city is already lousy with dragons, I don’t need them in my fantasy game Bethesda

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ps5 is gonna be a monster, of sequels to mediocre open world games everyone won't shut up about for like a week

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

splintering off from an 'all-in-one' portal to do your own thing is what movie/TV distributors are doing with video services, and game publishers are doing with Origin/uPlay/Bethesda.net, and people aren't super happy about those

doing events AND E3 is one thing, but "we only have our OWN event" can't possibly work long term, you just guarantee less viewers

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

In Training posted:

I’m not going for the same reasons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

splintering off from an 'all-in-one' portal to do your own thing is what movie/TV distributors are doing with video services, and game publishers are doing with Origin/uPlay/Bethesda.net, and people aren't super happy about those

doing events AND E3 is one thing, but "we only have our OWN event" can't possibly work long term, you just guarantee less viewers

Sony is doing neither, they cancelled PSX this year too

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wonder what some of the first big titles will be for the PS5? Also how much better looking will the PS5 make games look? I aint no smart computers man but I wonder how far games can go since I assume it's not possible for games to eventually look like CG movies

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

b_d posted:

I’m not going for the same reasons

I don't go anywhere for the same reasons

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Sony is doing neither, they cancelled PSX this year too
yeah I think they'll be back at E3 in 2020

if they actually did show up at E3 in 2019 their show would just be "uhh here's TLOU2 again, and some late-stage remasters... PSVR, check it out.. bye"

Macaluso posted:

I wonder what some of the first big titles will be for the PS5? Also how much better looking will the PS5 make games look? I aint no smart computers man but I wonder how far games can go since I assume it's not possible for games to eventually look like CG movies
reliable framerate at ultra settings would be a realistic goal for PS5. it definitely would be possible for games to someday look like CG movies, but the problem is that takes a gargantuan amount of effort, resources and talent. and if game budgets don't start scaling back, major studio closures will be inevitable.

i'm sure 4K output will be a focus for next gen as well, which is why I said "reliable framerate" and not "60fps"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 15, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Open world games that allow you to basically gently caress off and do whatever, but with enough purpose that your wanderings aren't completely aimless are like catnip to me, so I will play basically every Bethesda RPG despite their numerous well-documented flaws. I will probably log 200 hours in TESVI if it can clear the low bar of "better than fallout 4" (which I still played 74 hours of)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah I think they'll be back at E3 in 2020

if they actually did show up at E3 in 2019 their show would just be "uhh here's TLOU2 again, and some late-stage remasters... PSVR, check it out.. bye"

For two years all they showed was Spider-Man and tlou2 and gow though, they didn't seem to mind doing that for a while

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Macaluso posted:

I'd rather they focus on loading times and stable FPS this time, but people want their detailed chiseled abs.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

axelblaze posted:

It seems like Sony are going further though and just aren't showing anything

Yeah not having any presence on the actual show-floor from them is gonna be weird. Like they'll be other companies showing off third-party stuff for PS4 a-plenty but no Sony booth either on-site or off-site is gonna be weird.

And like I mentioned in the opening post about this, weird for people like Geoff Keighley who probably make most of their money doing E3 coverage and having developers on his show or whatever. Is Death Stranding just like, NOT going to be anywhere in June? Will he get an EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIRE at the very least for it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope the PS5 is powerful enough to play PS1 games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my pc can barely run games from this gen so i don't have many thoughts about the next one

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wonder if the hacking of Fallout 76 will allow griefers to aim the nukes anywhere in the game and just endlessly obliterate folks

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The PS5 will just be a Switch except the controllers are "Play-Cons"

In Training posted:

For two years all they showed was Spider-Man and tlou2 and gow though, they didn't seem to mind doing that for a while

There's also Days Gone which feels like it's been at every E3 for the past 10 years

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

incidentally, people wondered just how much better graphics could get when the PS4 came out, but you should really play 360/PS3-era games on 360/PS3 hardware because BOY OH BOY did a lot of games not even hit 30fps half the time, let alone even native 720p

AC3 ran at 25 at best when I tried it a week ago, stranglehold often tanked into the teens, ratchet & clank quest for booty would constantly dip from 60 to 30

30fps actually native 720p was sort of the white whale for that generation, when more likely you'd get 25 and 600p upscaled or worse

digital foundry's breakdowns from that time period are interesting to read now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PS4 games still don't hit 30, even undeniable greatest game of the generation Bloodborne has lots of stability issues

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

I hope the PS5 is powerful enough to play PS1 games
it will play nintendo playstation games

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

That didn't stop Microsoft from showing up for the last 2 years

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

So... the PS5 is going to be "The PS4, just able to keep 60 FPS"

Wonder if Death Stranding will get a forward-port or cross development

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

homeless snail posted:

it will play nintendo playstation games

It's clear to me now that the Nintendo Playstation timeline is the one where things did not go irrevocably wrong

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That didn't stop Microsoft from showing up for the last 2 years

At least when Microsoft didn't have new games they were smart enough to let people play old ones, Sony both doesn't have new games and claim nobody likes old ones either

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

it's a survival game, like rust or dayz or whatever, but using fallout 4 assets

ugghhh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember Metal Gear Survive

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

not even pepperidge farm does

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
What a weird dissonance this thread has regarding the Ps4 compared to literally anywhere else

The 7th Guest posted:

remember Metal Gear Survive

Yup, it was great.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The PS4 was great as a JRPG machine for a while but now they're all on PC and Switch. Unless there's another genre/console realignment I don't think I'll be getting a PS5.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'll go wherever Bloodborne 2 is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It doesn't matter if Sony shows up to E3 or not. There are far better ways for them to market their games. It's super expensive to present at E3 and is only ever a negative thing to do so, at best you get a luke warm reaction from gamers that forget about your announcements a week later.

• Locked thread