Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Murder House was pretty drat shocking at the time too. Everyone stayed dead and there wasn't any winners. That was the main problem with Coven and Apocalypse. These witches just don't stay dead!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Doltos posted:

Murder House was pretty drat shocking at the time too. Everyone stayed dead and there wasn't any winners. That was the main problem with Coven and Apocalypse. These witches just don't stay dead!!

It was the show's strength and weakness: that unpredictability made it refreshing at the time, but now each season feels like that episode of Band of Brothers: Replacements. I don't even want to learn the new character's names because they'll just be dead soon.
:shrug:

edit: VVV yeah...no Asylum connection was a big miss since we threw so much spaghetti at the wall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 15, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was hoping aliens would come at the end.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

I was hoping aliens would come at the end.

At the end aliens land and it turns out this is a 2 part season and was actually a sequel to Asylum all along. Satan can possess Misty or smth

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm hoping there's a second season where Mallory has run over thousands of people as each has been chosen to be the antichrist

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

jerry seinfel posted:

I'm hoping there's a second season where Mallory has run over thousands of people as each has been chosen to be the antichrist

It's not beyond this show to do a comedy-montage of her running over dozens of people, aging visibly in each cut.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Why couldn't they stick with the bunker and what happened after. If the reset holds, I'd like to see Hayden have a ghost/ demon baby

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh my only real issue with the season is thinking the middle flashbacks coulda been easily condensed by an episode, without really losing anything. Give the finale two episodes to breathe while bridging the gap.

I thought it was cute to have an antichrist end days apocalypse season, but still have their cake with a chunk of nuclear post apocalypse episodes as well

I like this season I give it a solid B+. consistent but nothing super spectacular or interestin enough to push it over

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Murder House gave us Ghost Christmas. Let's get a full season of that.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m also confused as to who is the Supreme if Mallory goes back in time. Do her powers regress?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

good q. mallory seems to have permanently leapt into her past self so does cordelia not weaken or does it happen more rapidly now do we just have 2 supremes

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Overall it was a decent season but the ending was too rushed. I was kind of hoping we’d see more of the actual apocalypse happening or how exactly it started, or maybe go into any of the other bunkers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seeing the Sanctuary woulda been neato

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Leave in Murder House, Coven, and Hotel flashbacks, change Eichner's character to be hunting Michael and not being gung ho for the apocalypse in the first place, put in exposition that everyone invited into the sanctuary has the potential to birth more anti-christs, don't have Billie Lourd go back in time and just have her kill Michael then reset everything. Poor Michael didn't even have a chance.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doltos posted:

Poor Michael didn't even have a chance.

Bad luck runs in the Harmon fam

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Nan still rules at least

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheBizzness posted:

I’m also confused as to who is the Supreme if Mallory goes back in time. Do her powers regress?

I assumed she just went into her old body. She went back to a time when Cordelia was Supreme and her own powers hadn't blossomed yet - that's why they had her doing the butterfly trick from earlier. Which is probably why she went with the SUV rather than a magically-aided solution with Michael. She'll still become Supreme eventually unless something in the new timeline kills her.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Doltos posted:

Leave in Murder House, Coven, and Hotel flashbacks, change Eichner's character to be hunting Michael and not being gung ho for the apocalypse in the first place, put in exposition that everyone invited into the sanctuary has the potential to birth more anti-christs, don't have Billie Lourd go back in time and just have her kill Michael then reset everything. Poor Michael didn't even have a chance.

Wait was Billy Eichners character that was in the shelter..the same that was in the robot lab?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I believe tech bros were there own separate characters from any other setting in the show.

But I could be wrong.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dienes posted:

I assumed she just went into her old body. She went back to a time when Cordelia was Supreme and her own powers hadn't blossomed yet - that's why they had her doing the butterfly trick from earlier. Which is probably why she went with the SUV rather than a magically-aided solution with Michael. She'll still become Supreme eventually unless something in the new timeline kills her.

I agree, somehow she merged with her past self. Souls exist in that reality, and presumably you can only have one, so perhaps traveling to a time where you already exist automatically corrects the anomaly by merging them or replacing one. Or maybe she did a merge with magic. In any event there is no other Mallory to worry about.

She couldn't go back to her future because that future doesn't exist anymore. The new 2020 wouldn't have a Mallory shaped hole for her to fit in to. Maybe that's why the time travel ability is considered a myth, and they believe that anyone who ever tried it died. If you succeed nobody remembers it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just Chamber posted:

So, I thought the reason Michael was the anti-christ was because he was conceived in the Murder House and Satan set things up so evil/ his avatar essentially impregnated his mother. But then we find out actually these two normal people (though i guess genetically perfect or whatever which is why they were initially sent to the bunker?) just happen to have another spawn of Satan with no (as far as i can tell) evil interference, the Devil can just pick any baby to become the next anti-christ? Kind of takes the importance of how Michael was conceived and throws that out the window.

One possibility is that the devil didn't have just one plan to have a son. He had dozens. Hundreds. He wasn't sitting on his rear end for thousands of years waiting for someone to build a house on the murder house land, right? Having a ghost baby conceived in the murder house makes a compatible vessel, but it's not his only play. The genetically perfect couple could have been the result of a long term Kwisatz Haderach style breeding program. Along with dozens of other plans over the centuries. Each time a plan gets spoiled and the apocalypse doesn't happen he tries again. He's got all the time in the world and he only has to win once.

Another possibility is that the new baby IS Micheal. Maybe the whole ghost conception on a hell mouth was necessary for the creation of an antichrist soul, but once it exists it can be be reincarnated. Until they either trap or destroy the soul it will keep coming back.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The problem as always: you put way more thought into it than the people writing the show did.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheBizzness posted:

The problem as always: you put way more thought into it than the people writing the show did.

That's half the fun of impossible fiction. :colbert:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Like a lot of people here, I had issues with the flashbacks extending 6+ episodes but in the end... it worked?

I mean, I liked the length of time spent on the final battle. If Michael was going to be that strong, Witches were going to be dropping like flies. We didn't need an extended appearance by Angela Bassett (even though I would have loved it), we didn't need long individual battles, everyone was out for blood and death was in the bunker.

I think I'll be much more charitable to the season as a whole if I watch it again, but I don't know what they could have added before the fighting that would have made it better. Maybe if the battle went outside the bunker?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

Like a lot of people here, I had issues with the flashbacks extending 6+ episodes but in the end... it worked?

I mean, I liked the length of time spent on the final battle. If Michael was going to be that strong, Witches were going to be dropping like flies. We didn't need an extended appearance by Angela Bassett (even though I would have loved it), we didn't need long individual battles, everyone was out for blood and death was in the bunker.

I think I'll be much more charitable to the season as a whole if I watch it again, but I don't know what they could have added before the fighting that would have made it better. Maybe if the battle went outside the bunker?

Yeah, as much as I wish the finale had two episodes I'm not even sure what I would add, other than maybe have one of those episodes be the flashbacks we got in the first 20min or so of the episode. Maybe a little more cat and mouse in the bunker. But yeah dragging it out too much would have been silly, in a straight fight he would have won. Having him just tear through the witches while they bought Cordelia and Mallory time was good.

Maybe it's less I wanted the finale to be two episodes and more the last flashback episode just felt like too much padding for how little it really told us.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

When Michael licked the heart after he ripped it out, I was expecting Coco to say how many calories it was before he offed her.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Pinwiz11 posted:

I don't know what they could have added before the fighting that would have made it better.

That's the thing, I don't really feel like there was anything that could be added to the season as a whole that would make it a better story. It feels like they knew this, but were committed to 10 episodes, so some of them felt like they had a lot of filler, especially later on.

Really the biggest pacing problems were with the last three episodes: 8 and 9 felt incredibly slow and dull, and 10 felt rushed. If you cut out some of the unnecessary stuff from 8/9, you could have more time to properly set up the finale.

In terms of the actual story, I ended up enjoying it. It's a bit weird that 90% of the events we watched never happened in the new timeline, but that's always the danger with time travel plots. The thing I dislike the most is the new antichrist coming from a seemingly normal couple, and so far none of the explanations offered for why that's supposed to make sense ring true for me. It was a much more satisfying idea that the specific events of Murder House led to Michael.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe their house was also a murder house, and she too hosed a ghost?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just cutting that last bit from the finale would improve it by a lot.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Dienes posted:

1. Magic spells + magic mud
2. Because in the new timeline, Michael was dead and didn't burn their souls into nothingness.
3. Because Madison was the one who helped them and she's not going to tell the other witches she did something not-bitchy. No one went back because they didn't know they needed to. (Or they just went back off-camera...)
4. They remember the Antichrist was defeated because....this is the timeline in which the Antichrist was defeated (by running him over with an SUV). They remember the event because it happened.
5. Cordelia couldn't return Madison and Misty from Hell. Only Michael could, being the son of Satan. Now that Michael is dead in this timeline, he is not around to get them back. Hence, demon help for Misty. I'm not entirely sure anyone actually wants to go back for Madison now that they don't need absolutely anyone and everyone they can get to fight the Antichrist.

Fair points. Obviously I was pretty miffed when I made that list, although several questions are still unanswered, or raise further question, such as

sublyme posted:

The rubberman was a demon controlling the suit, according to an interview with Cody Fern (Michael) from Out Magazine.

If Michael had control of demons to do his bidding, why didn't he employ any of them to help kill the witches, or do literally anything else?

I think the thing that really sticks in my craw about the season is that, when you ignore the awful plot points and focus solely on the fanservice, as this was well advertised as the crossover season, it just .... really wasn't satisfying either. All the witches who died get to come back and either die again, have a private concert, or do next to nothing. The few ghosts that appeared in Murder House only really did so to explain what we already knew, then Tate is forgiven just because. Sure, Moira had her head-scratching moment where her bones reunited with her mother (although that was surely undone by the time jump.) But then characters like March and Laveau and Legba came back for a cup of coffee, and ultimately their lines were forgettable. And even Lange came back only to do a couple dramatic monologues that were really nice, but felt like more of the same.

Just saying, since it's all pointless at the end of the day, maybe you could have had even more characters appear in the time it took you to explain that Michael had two old ladies baby him, and a How It's Made chronicling how one became a robot, just in case that's too bizarre to believe.

Of course, not ignoring the plot, they actively make dumb decisions. It doesn't make sense that they would remember a minuscule detail like Constance's other daughter, but totally ignore that ghost + human = devil baby. It's one thing to have a really goofy scene where a man is killed by bees, it's another to blatantly ignore a law in your world building.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TOOT BOOT posted:

Nah I loved that, especially after having Michael screaming at Cordelia that you can't stop that which is prophecized.

tbh for pacing issues I almost wish we just cut some of the padded witch stuff in the flashbacks and spent more time with Micheal at Warlock school, rather than rushing straight to him doing the Seven Wonders.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pinwiz11 posted:

It could have been a lot longer and there could have been various episodes dedicated to Michael taking out individual witches. We barely saw Michael do anything besides the action hero shot of Emma Roberts and then all the minor witches getting killed. Way too short and not enough pay off for how much Michael was built up. There was also zero magic involved in Billie Lourd's hit and run or the witches battle.

My theory is that they couldn't afford CGI. There was a ton of it in the earlier episodes and then the last we saw of it was the really, really crappy animation of the Warlocks chanting up that chrome crystal. Angela Basset did an invisible wall spell. Specifically invisible. It was like Ryan Murphy had to come up with a big battle scene and he couldn't have it happen off camera so they had to do this ending.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Doltos posted:

It could have been a lot longer and there could have been various episodes dedicated to Michael taking out individual witches. We barely saw Michael do anything besides the action hero shot of Emma Roberts and then all the minor witches getting killed. Way too short and not enough pay off for how much Michael was built up. There was also zero magic involved in Billie Lourd's hit and run or the witches battle.

I think that could work. They'd have to do some rewrites to the final battle to make it flow better and not give too much away, but teasing one phase of the battle each episode could have been an option.

That, or I just watched the "catch up to the flash forward" episode of Viola Davis's Murder Babies and it works there so...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

I think that could work. They'd have to do some rewrites to the final battle to make it flow better and not give too much away, but teasing one phase of the battle each episode could have been an option.

That, or I just watched the "catch up to the flash forward" episode of Viola Davis's Murder Babies and it works there so...

Having snippets of the final battle, with Michael killing witches who featured prominently in w/e flashback (so Madison's death in the episode she goes to the murder house (though there's not much i'd want to cut from that episode personally lmbo) leading up to catching back up to the present could have been really cool. But then I worry the finale would feel too stretched out, unless they use it as a good excuse for more Angela Bassett and focus more on Michael tracking down Mallory while she's bleeding out and trying to do her time spell.

:shrug:

Any show can sound better w/ some tweaks. I was happy with this season in general, tho it did drag a little in 8 and 9. But it was coherent and I dug the story they told, and then Sandra Bernhard took me to church hail satan

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

esperterra posted:

hail satan

I liked this a lot. Good season. Ridiculous without going off several diff story tangents and instead being ridiculous in a coherent way, so A+ to you AHS I felt this season was consistent and lol at tying the first half cast of characters back in by having who seemed to be our heroes at first be the ones to rev the prophecy up again

real cute, AHS

Felt a bit rushed but :shrug: season's been weird pacing wise in a few spots

I liked it too! 😎🙏🏻😎

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

TOOT BOOT posted:

Which bit, all the scenes with that couple or just the Black Pope arriving? I think I would've liked the ending better if it just ended with them discovering the body, and left it a tiny bit of a mystery whether it's actually a new antichrist or not.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Doltos posted:

I have a feeling the two season renewal made them completely switch gears away from the apocalypse part of apocalypse. Billy Eichner's character was completely forgotten and he popped up to stab Billie Lourd in the stomach even though he was pissed off at Cocoa. I'm also pretty sure the promos showed some sort of zombie/mutant group amassing outside the bunkers which never was addressed in the season. All the flashback episodes also kept them from having to go into the apocalypse part. Not to mention the time rewind.

I think they realized they couldn't make three seasons of Fallout so they hit the brakes hard. Or they were in midseason and Ryan Murphy was like gently caress CGI and smoke machines go back to set pieces!

That only makes sense if the next two seasons carry on this storyline and aren't mostly self contained like the rest...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think Ryan Murphy wanted a 666 hail satan endtimes season but also wanted to do nuclear apocalypse and that's as simple as it was lmao, I doubt they switched any kinds of gears when learning the show would go on. This season and the next were ordered at the same time after Cult iirc.

FX loves Ryan Murphy and will prob let him make AHS til he gets bored of it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nibble posted:

Which bit, all the scenes with that couple or just the Black Pope arriving? I think I would've liked the ending better if it just ended with them discovering the body, and left it a tiny bit of a mystery whether it's actually a new antichrist or not.

Everything past the wrap-up of the witches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
The last frame with Ms. Mead smiling almost like the blissful smile she gave when she was burning was great. Also I'm sorta willing to bet Emily is an exception in terms of birthing another antichrist, but I don't particularly know why the father would be defined as special. I always kinda figured Emily was supposed to be Roanoke Lee's daughter, the first one, that went kidnapped/missing which later lead to her being so over the top protective of Flora. Main reasons why are she's the only cast member with no Surname besides Mallory, and while they establish the guy's family she's already captured with no real info. So who knows what kind of goofy poo poo has happened to her up to that point.

Also good thing Mallory was introduced after Fiona's death. Could you imagine if she heard about a deer's age being reversed? Christ, she'd have been locked up in a cage.