Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I see. Thank you everyone. I’m sorry for bogging down the thread with basic questions, it’s hard to learn the jargon of another country’s politics. :shobon:

Edit: oh so you mean backbenchers actually sit in the literal back? That’s hilarious lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Noxville posted:

Which one? I’ve been to a single one also but my girlfriend and her friends try to do as many as they can so have probably eaten at dozens

House of tides since its the only one in newcastle

Bardeh posted:

posting about getting on the dole one day and then eating at a michelin star restaurant the next

quick, delete this post before someone sends it to whoever gets Esther McVey's job and they use it to justify slashing universal credit payments

lol it was my dads birthday today but i also never got anything back from my parents when it was my 30th because who loving knows what to get as a present and this had been planned for ages just never with the timing being right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It was real loving good

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lightning Knight posted:

I see. Thank you everyone. I’m sorry for bogging down the thread with basic questions, it’s hard to learn the jargon of another country’s politics. :shobon:

Edit: oh so you mean backbenchers actually sit in the literal back? That’s hilarious lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJf5wDGEiug&t=183s

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes. Because parliament is basically school.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pound_Coin posted:

I used to work in a kitchen years back, one friday the chef decided he wanted to do battered fish, but we had no deep fryer, this lead to two massive catering pans of oil sat on top of the hob.

This lead to us seeing if there was anything in the kitchen that we could NOT batter and fry.

Deep fry a gummi bear and what you actually get is a lightly battered napalm grenade that upon breaking of its shell will incinerate anything unlucky enough to be nearby

I've worked in kitchens before and I think every kitchen has the "Wait, what's stopping us from deep-frying <x>" fever descend upon them occasionally.

(Deep fried bananas are legitimately great, by the way, especially when you dip them in chocolate.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The prime minister is not like the US president, it's not a separate office because our government isn't designed to do that weird executive/legislative/judiciary thing the US one does. It all runs on spit and baling wire because it's been going in some form or another for centuries.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

serious gaylord posted:

Yes. Because parliament is basically school.

Its basically Eton's seventh form when you think about it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jose posted:

House of tides since its the only one in newcastle

If you ever fancy going a bit further afield the Black Swan at Oldstead (north York moors) is loving fantastic, they did a 14-course taster menu for like £100 and it was almost all phenomenal

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:( I’m extremely owned.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

How long until Jeremy Corbyn is Prime Minister?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Parliament as an institution inherits directly from when it was just an advisory to the king. And it technically still derives it's de jure authority from the queen. That's why the queen has to assent to government formation and stamp the laws through.

Also if you want to resign from it you do some weird thing where you take a centuries-since-defunct office which technically puts you under the direct pay of the monarch and thus renders you unable to be an MP. And nobody's felt the need to change this because it works.

If you want to get a feel for how the british government works it's helpful to assume that almost anything you would normally look to say, your national constitution to figure out, is not written down anywhere for the UK and we do it all based on habit instead.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
#throwbackthursday

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Onto actual content, I think this article speaks true to alot of things in the UK aswell, and speaks true to me in places. https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/573949/

This was quite interesting. If sad.

Part of me does seem to think I might need to start thinking about some stuff though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1062947682530938886

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lightning Knight posted:

:( I’m extremely owned.

no way, Cunk is the best

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, is QT always this angry? I see why people watch it now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/woke_hoover/status/1063213013518479361

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

McDragon posted:

What's happening

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

McDragon posted:

Speaking of, Claire Perry just did a libel?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Oh my Christ Question time tonight. First time I’ve seen it in a year. Oh Jesus

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lightning Knight posted:

Basically. So our MPs sit staring at each other, government MPs on one side of the chamber and the various opposition parties opposite them. The front benches by the dispatch box (where there's a big ceremonial mace for some reason) are where the cabinet and shadow cabinet members sit (though during a specific Minister's Question Time some more minor ministers will sit there and answer some of the questions). The row behind them is often junior ministers and PPS (Parliamentary Private Secretary, an even more junior role) who will pass notes to their minister and poo poo like that if needed.

Other than that, you end up with groups sitting together, vocal Tory Remainers are mostly in the back right of the government benches, Jacob Rees Mogg is always on the left side of the chamber, in about the middle, Labour's Dennis Skinner is often next to the SNP on the front opposition bench that's next to the shadow cabinet bench.

And yeah, the opposite sides of the chamber are I believe designed to be two sword lengths apart so MPs can't duel in the chamber. It's very silly and full of antiquated terms to confuse the poo poo out of people. You can bray and howl but clapping is bad apparently?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’ve got to assume that the end of Fantastic Beasts Grindelwald is all “I deserve to have total control over the muggles, they can’t look after themselves, look what’s happening in Germany for instance!”.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Lightning Knight posted:

It's OK, we secretly love explaining our weird political system to outsiders.

See if you can get someone to talk you through the class system next, that's always good for a laugh.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gum posted:

#throwbackthursday

the stupidity of "HEALTHY GLOW" briefly distracted me from the two Tories in the back who are going to celebrate the referendum by shagging

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

baka kaba posted:

What's happening

Lots of yelling, the Tory MP said Corbyn is an anti-Semite, more yelling. Just really angry and cross

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

Yup.

If Corbyn's lawyers do the same number on her as they did on Ben Bradley, May might be forced to ask for Perry's resignation.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Onto actual content, I think this article speaks true to alot of things in the UK aswell, and speaks true to me in places. https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/573949/

quote:

(It may or may not have helped that a course with overlapping appeal, Human Sexuality, was discontinued some years back after its professor presided over a demonstration of something called a fucksaw.)

this article is a hoot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

It's OK, we secretly love explaining our weird political system to outsiders.

See if you can get someone to talk you through the class system next, that's always good for a laugh.

Yeah honestly, it's always fun watching people coming from countries with formalized governments looking at ours and seeing the alternative :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

McDragon posted:

Lots of yelling, the Tory MP said Corbyn is an anti-Semite, more yelling. Just really angry and cross

What's the gammon vibe?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pound_Coin posted:

She was so shook. She knew very well she'd dropped a bollock

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

McDragon posted:

This was shoutier than normal, Claire Perry seems like an absolute twat (and not because she's a woman thank you)

Not So Fast fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 16, 2018

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pound_Coin posted:

I'm not watching Question Time because I don't hate myself quite that much, can someone who is and does please share the juicy gossip re: what libel was it she did? your sacrifice is appreciated

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Angepain posted:

I'm not watching Question Time because I don't hate myself quite that much, can someone who is and does please share the juicy gossip re: what libel was it she did? your sacrifice is appreciated

She called Corbyn an Anti-Semite.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
also said that dimbley didn't like it when women spoke?

when he tried to challenge her on something

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Here's the specific clip of Claire Perry's slanderous statement, that was not recanted at any point, and in fact was something she stood by in later comments.

https://twitter.com/GraemeDemianyk/status/1063217597343297536

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

mehall posted:

Here's the specific clip of Claire Perry's slanderous statement, that was not recanted at any point, and in fact was something she stood by in later comments.

and the BBC could have cut that before broadcast as well

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Some incredible shades of ham clapping

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

gross

hope Jezza throws the book at her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Claire Perry prepare yourself for your most retweeted comment yet.