Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah I've known its meaning for as long as I can remember, doesn't seem obscure to me or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

diablo 2 was released in 2000, but no, an M-rated game with "devil" imagery would not have been the most mainstream game in the 90s, an era when the satanic panic hoax was still believed by every parent in america

Apparently for quite a while it held a Guinness World Record for sales speed. So it was kind of a big deal?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II#Sales

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

People in junior high school couldn't shut the gently caress up about diablo

That said I'm pretty sure that at least half of the people in this argument have lost the thread of what was being argued about in the first place

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Frankly, I think your average American is about as likely to be familiar with the City of Pandemonium as they are to enjoy a sitcom reimagining of/response to No Exit which contains several dialogues about philosophical concepts.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

diablo 2 was released in 2000, but no, an M-rated game with "devil" imagery would not have been the most mainstream game in the 90s, an era when the satanic panic hoax was still believed by every parent in america

Hahahaha

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

qirex posted:

The word pandemonium, while Milton coined it, has been in common use in English for centuries.

Quoted because I can't believe people in this thread are acting as if this isn't the case.

Google books shows it peaked in the 30s but has remained pretty much at the same level of use from the 60s to the present.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The question isn't "do people know the meaning of pandemonium as used in everyday speech," it's "do people know the meaning of pandemonium as used by Milton, i.e. the name of a city of demons." The answers to those two questions are very different.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ulex minor posted:

There's a thousand other ways people would get that reference apart from having literally sat down to read Paradise Lost. It is in no way obscure.

Yeah I learned about from Hellboy Comics

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lutha Mahtin posted:

quote:

By April 2001, Diablo II had become one of the most popular online games ever. Major factors that contributed to Diablo II's success include what fans found to be addictive hack and slash gameplay and free access to Battle.net. Diablo II may be played as a single player game, multi-player via a LAN, or multi-player via Battle.net, with the latter being the most popular. It has also become one of the top thirty best selling computer games ever. Including Diablo II, the Diablo series has sold 17 million copies.

Doom (which *was* released in the 1990s) also sold millions of copies and sure people complained about the violence and demonic imagery but that did not stop it from being an incredibly popular game.

Toast Museum posted:

The question isn't "do people know the meaning of pandemonium as used in everyday speech," it's "do people know the meaning of pandemonium as used by Milton, i.e. the name of a city of demons." The answers to those two questions are very different.
As discussed it's frequently used in very popular works of fiction that are about Hell, Demons, Cities of Demons, etc. It's got the word Demon right in the middle of it. If pressed most people probably wouldn't know it was coined by Milton but they have probably inferred it involves something hellish?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’ve never heard before this thread that it has any Hellish connotations, and I have certainly played Doom, and have been generally aware of Hell all my life. I’s just a simple country boy though

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

pwn posted:

I’ve never heard before this thread that it has any Hellish connotations, and I have certainly played Doom, and have been generally aware of Hell all my life. I’s just a simple country boy though

Right. Somehow made it through high school and college without learning the word meant anything other than “poo poo hit the fan here”

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i'm a terrible person and must post that i'm giggling about the idea of this show having a story arc that incorporated 1990s pc gaming edgelords

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hilariously it never occurred to me to split it up - Pan = All. Then Demon. The word literally means "All the demons are gathered here" or "COME GET YER DEMONS AT DISCOUNT PRICES!"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Hilariously it never occurred to me to split it up - Pan = All. Then Demon. The word literally means "All the demons are gathered here" or "COME GET YER DEMONS AT DISCOUNT PRICES!"

No just all the demons named Ium

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Jamil proves she is amazing once again.

:nws: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqFl4ODFu7s/ :nws:

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 13, 2018

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I just want you all to know the animal training company that was used for this episode is called Paws for Effect.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Jamil proves she is amazing once again.

:nws: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqFl4ODFu7s/ :nws:

https://twitter.com/taxmanwesman/status/1062025304414261248

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Here

Comes

DOUG

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FUCKIN MICHAEL MCKEAN

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MICHAEL MCKEAN!?!?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chuck!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

holy poo poo what a casting choice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Michael's fanboying lol

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gosh, Michael's gonna get disillusioned, isn't he?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao this is literally how I played pool at like age 5

oh jason

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aww, Doug :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Michael McKean was a great choice.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they're going to break doug

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Jason and Chidi playing pool may be my new favorite thing this show has done.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Do they know if Doug actually has enough points?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

OH NO

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BORTLES

Well played Shawn

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh no, the Molotov cocktail failed

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

flatluigi posted:

they're going to break doug

Doug's already broken, man.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What a great demonstration of the extreme logical extension of the point system

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

how is this episode only half over

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"...AND I drank his piss!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WHAT THE gently caress

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
JANET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Yeah Janet!