Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

drilldo squirt posted:

Those are sad eyes.

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in case people who aren't from new york don't know why we don't like deblasio very much: its because he's bad at his job

https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1063249800299245570

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Niwrad posted:

Pelosi has already committed to "pay-go" which puts a big damper on any kind of real legislation to help poorer people in this country.

if she sticks with it that is not ideal, yes

although i may be convinceable by evilweasel

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

evilweasel posted:

i was discussing this in another thread (or this one, earlier on) but i disagree. it just means you attach tax hikes for the rich to every popular piece of litigation, which is a positive.

Barring some sort of sea change in american politics, any good legislation will be either dead in the senate or have razor-thin margins in the senate. If taxes of any form are included, razor-thin margins become unworkable as the Manchins of the world vote against it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

KickerOfMice posted:

Keep crashing down, ya wave. :)

(FYI!) Someone else who actually lives in orange county explain the former political situation, please. I used to live in CA but I fled north many years ago.

Earlier, someone not from CA was surprised that it was considered conservative, and I wrote this:

gandlethorpe posted:

The less affluent center (Anaheim, Santa Ana) is solidly Democrat, with a large Hispanic population. There's also a large Vietnamese population that doesn't lean highly towards either party. Apart from that, you have more affluent suburbs and coastal cities that have historically leaned Republican (except for Laguna Beach). Of the 4 districts that are mostly contained in the county, the Republicans have held 3 of them for quite some time.

One promising result of this past election is that Irvine solidly went not only for Democratic candidates, but ballot measures as well. Irvine is a huge portion of the suburban, southern district and a tech center economically.

Orange County went for Hillary in 2016, so it can easily be said that Trump's brand of Republicanism doesn't really fly here. It still leaned red otherwise and maintained a majority of Republican reps that year. I think this year's results are a combination of energized Dems and Rep leaning people who are fed up with their poo poo.

Surprisingly, according to this nifty map, Irvine went solidly for Dems downballot. They even voted against the gas tax repeal. Irvine is a booming tech center and probably attracts a lot of young educated people.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

in case people who aren't from new york don't know why we don't like deblasio very much: its because he's bad at his job

To be fair to Big Bill, none of the forecasts expected the snow to stick.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Brony Car posted:

To be fair to Big Bill, none of the forecasts expected the snow to stick.

That's not a very good excuse, weather forecasting isn't infallible. Plus it sounds like there was a slow reaction to it after it started sticking anyway.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

KickerOfMice posted:

Keep crashing down, ya wave. :)

(FYI!) Someone else who actually lives in orange county explain the former political situation, please. I used to live in CA but I fled north many years ago.

Orange County is an extremely wealthy and affluent area of Southern California, and has been for a long been seen as the bastion of rich California Republicans unwilling to live in scary liberal Los Angeles (let alone the Bay Area).

It's also considered the home of modern American Conservatism, as the birthplace of Richard Nixon and the seat of power for the California Republican Party, which exercised massive influence on national politics until their humiliating defeats in the last few cycles.

There's multiple reasons for that shift. Demographics in the county have skewed heavily towards minorities in recent decades, in particular with the Hispanic and Asian populations. Note these Asian-Americans aren't the resettled Vietnamese and their families that trended hard Republican after the Vietnam War, but rather more recent immigrants that tend to lean Democratic.

At the same time, some Conservative residents (along with their campaign contributions) have made the move to Texas, (to a lesser extent) San Diego County, and other more "reliably" Conservative wealthy areas of the country.

What has been a growing crisis for the California GOP has until now has been somewhat limited to state representatives and senators that have been limiting the political power of the GOP at home as Democrats now hold massive majorities in Sacramento.

That's finally trickled down (pun intended) to national elections and as a result for the first time Republicans from Orange County will no longer be represented in Congress.

I don't think anyone sees this trend reversing anytime soon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Earlier, someone not from CA was surprised that it was considered conservative, and I wrote this:

Orange County went for Hillary in 2016, so it can easily be said that Trump's brand of Republicanism doesn't really fly here. It still leaned red otherwise and maintained a majority of Republican reps that year. I think this year's results are a combination of energized Dems and Rep leaning people who are fed up with their poo poo.

Surprisingly, according to this nifty map, Irvine went solidly for Dems downballot. They even voted against the gas tax repeal. Irvine is a booming tech center and probably attracts a lot of young educated people.

The only thing I really knew was that OC is home to John Wayne Airport, which is the biggest "'nuff said" about the political leanings of Orange County.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1063258425872781312

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

evilweasel posted:

Alexa, plow Manhattan

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Young Freud posted:

The only thing I really knew was that OC is home to John Wayne Airport, which is the biggest "'nuff said" about the political leanings of Orange County.

Can't forget the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

evilweasel posted:

i was discussing this in another thread (or this one, earlier on) but i disagree. it just means you attach tax hikes for the rich to every popular piece of litigation, which is a positive.

She couldn't even get her party vote no on extending the Bush tax cuts. Heck, she even fought with Obama on whether it should be dropped for people making over $250k a year (she wanted it to be $1 million!).

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1063256118527291392

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Re: WikiRapist

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1063232297674162176

Edit: he isn’t citing the specific filing so grain of salt and everything.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jesus someone caught a EDVA case where it looks like they used the template from the motion to seal Assange's indictment (as lawyers commonly do) but forgot to replace his name in this one instance

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1063263896696512512

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Fulchrum posted:

Actually, I can kind of see it. A drunken heckler thinks he's a comedian and just yells it out, completely misreading the room....I wouldn't be surprised if he is a CHUD, but its at least slightly plausible that this is just a dumbass blitzed on cheap wine from before the show.

In vino veritas

Zisky
May 6, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

In vino veritas

Right? I like my drink and all, but the only time I've made a public drunken political statement was when I yelled "gently caress Trump" after a rousing karaoke rendition of Neil Young's Old Man.

I certainly wasn't heiling Hitler...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

eke out posted:

jesus someone caught a EDVA case where it looks like they used the template from the motion to seal Assange's indictment (as lawyers commonly do) but forgot to replace his name in this one instance

Some poor intern needs to find a new career.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Some poor intern needs to find a new career.

I'm afraid that would be Kellen Dwyer, AUSA, whose signature is on it - they probably are having a Very Bad Night right about now

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1063189097181835269

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Niwrad posted:

She couldn't even get her party vote no on extending the Bush tax cuts. Heck, she even fought with Obama on whether it should be dropped for people making over $250k a year (she wanted it to be $1 million!).

Cite?

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
No place manages the first snowfall well - plows are often private citizens contracted out who aren't equipped or immediately available

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Get this though, my suburban NY neighborhood “repaved” a couple months ago ... with chip-seal

Been looking forward to tomorrow’s plow carnage for weeks

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Ague Proof posted:

Asian Confederate Hank Yoo, who once called his parents slurs and told them to get out of 'his' country, defended himself in court.

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1063208959702695937

Rawhide, no!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Wilhelm posted:

No place manages the first snowfall well - plows are often private citizens contracted out who aren't equipped or immediately available

Moreover, snow policy is game theory in action. You make a bet based on the weather reports. Pre-deploy when it doesn't stick and you've cut into the budget for later when it does. Bet wrong against accumulation and it eats you on the back end as you scramble to make up lost ground.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1063270710246821888
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1063269063676358656

no attribution, credit, or RT of the guy who found it lmao yep wikileaks is back!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Now that people have been digging, they're finding more of them

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1063268238438662144

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Now that people have been digging, they're finding more of them

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1063268238438662144

oh yeah that's not even digging really, just scrolling down on the same page - it's the same failure of editing, basically.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Wilhelm posted:

This is NYC, Bill DeBlasio is a loving nincompoop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

osker posted:

This is NYC, Bill DeBlasio is a loving nincompoop.

Too bad Amazon didn't demand they be required to handle snow well

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Carter/Carter 20/20

I don't care which is which.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

eric trump, tucker, lou dobbs, rand paul, grassley and gaetz also retweeted this conspiracy bullshit.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

631 people now missing in the Camp Fire.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bugsy posted:

eric trump, tucker, lou dobbs, rand paul, grassley and gaetz also retweeted this conspiracy bullshit.

:psyduck: Who... who do they think would be doing this when Trump is POTUS???

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bugsy posted:

Two loving US senators?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Bugsy posted:

Wait. What?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Confounding Factor posted:

Lol its like that Fox News graphic:

That's still 4 people out of 1000 without access to modern refrigeration. I'm no math person but if you have 1million poor households then that's like 4000 households without refrigeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The version I saw was trying to make it seem like the areas that were getting burned we on the path for the bullet train (I guess so the state can eminent domain it cheaper?), except they're not near the path as far as I'm aware.

They also did the whole forest fires can't melt aluminum beams over pictures of cars that melted during the fire