Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Wachter posted:

Exactly, Usopp lucking into an ability which has nothing to do with sniping (and is also kind of humiliating) seems just right. And then he uses it in a one-on-one in some ludicrous fashion to tip the scales and absolutely bury someone.

For such a huge part of the OP world, I can't remember ever really seeing a user puzzling out and developing the abilities of their Fruits. The Gears are all developed off-camera, and up until the Gear Fourth homing pinch they've basically just been ways to hit people harder.

There was Kaku who was learning his fruit on the fly and trying to figure out how to apply it to techniques he already had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sub Harrison posted:

Moria's fruit is an exception to the knockout rule. He lost all the shadows because he ate them all and couldn't control the power. I guess the tradeoff is the people's whos shadows were taken can still fight back, while Sugar locks you in to slave mode for eternity

All of the shadows Moria acquired he got after his defeat from kaidou

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Wachter posted:

For such a huge part of the OP world, I can't remember ever really seeing a user puzzling out and developing the abilities of their Fruits. The Gears are all developed off-camera, and up until the Gear Fourth homing pinch they've basically just been ways to hit people harder.
It really pisses me off to no end that Sabo could do all of Ace's moves within like ten seconds of eating the Mera Mera

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He only did the fire punch. I quite liked that he jnstinctively dodged attacks because he forgot they'd go through him

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

He only did the fire punch. I quite liked that he jnstinctively dodged attacks because he forgot they'd go through him

He also had trouble controlling it and surprised himself with how big it got.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Also a fire fist punch seems like a pretty basic move.
I like how he combined it with his claw attack and pipe

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Cat Machine posted:

It really pisses me off to no end that Sabo could do all of Ace's moves within like ten seconds of eating the Mera Mera

Especially since he only remembered who Ace was after reading about Ace's death at Marineford. So [edit]presumably[/edit] he knew the name and method of Ace's signature attack without ever actually seeing it :shrug:

Kaku pretending to love his lovely fruit to save face is a great moment, but we still don't really see much of the learning process. I want to see Usopp freaking out because he keeps accidentally turning parts of himself into pastry or whatever

Wachter fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 15, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Kaku's fruit is actually pretty goddamn good given he's a physical fighter and expert martial artist, and the other two strongest guys in CP9 are also Zoan fruit users. Giraffes are goofy looking but they have no natural predators (on our Earth anyway) for a reason; it gives an incredibly strong physical fighter a multiplicative power boost and ridiculous reach.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wachter posted:

Especially since he only remembered who Ace was after reading about Ace's death at Marineford. So [edit]presumably[/edit] he knew the name and method of Ace's signature attack without ever actually seeing it :shrug:

Kaku pretending to love his lovely fruit to save face is a great moment, but we still don't really see much of the learning process. I want to see Usopp freaking out because he keeps accidentally turning parts of himself into pastry or whatever

Ace was a famous pirate whose signature move was in his name

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Ace was a famous pirate whose signature move was in his name

So Sabo knew of Ace, but just forgot their childhood together until he learned of Ace's death? I think I may have misread that scene.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
He might have caught up a bit in the time between remembering his past and eating the fruit too. It had been two years, after all.

poo poo, Robin might have told him a bunch since she presumably heard about the guy sinking 5 of their ships when she was second in command for BW.

There are also probably a bunch of people in the Revolutionaries who know a lot about famous strong people and Sabo just didn't care before remembering Ace.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

what do you mean on our Earth?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lpzie posted:

what do you mean on our Earth?

One Piece's world is clearly not the same Earth as ours.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Man with Hat posted:

He might have caught up a bit in the time between remembering his past and eating the fruit too. It had been two years, after all.

poo poo, Robin might have told him a bunch since she presumably heard about the guy sinking 5 of their ships when she was second in command for BW.

There are also probably a bunch of people in the Revolutionaries who know a lot about famous strong people and Sabo just didn't care before remembering Ace.

That's true. Replicating a move near-perfectly from hearsay is also typical OP "whoa look how powerful this guy is"

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

RatHat posted:

One Piece's world is clearly not the same Earth as ours.

Oh, OK.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
like everything else related to sabo, his entire relationship w/ ace, his amnesia, etc. are all awful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I rather liked anime Ace who joined the Straw Hats for some filler adventures, though I can't remember much of the details.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wachter posted:

So Sabo knew of Ace, but just forgot their childhood together until he learned of Ace's death? I think I may have misread that scene.

No I’m just saying that in the interim between Sabo regaining his memories and Dressrosa it’s not much of a stretch to assume he had seen some game footage of the war, and even if he didn’t, figuring out “Fire Fist” is just a big fire punch doesn’t seem too complex to me.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Turn your fist into fire and blasting away with it seems like one of the first things you'd try when given this power.
Also talented people like the CP9 managed to master their abilities almost instantly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't moria where the "knock the guy out to release his devil fruit power" thing was introduced?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I still think it's because he had all the souls in his body. Any defeated zombie could have it's shadow returned to it's owner

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure it is literally stated that knocking moria out would release all the shadows

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I think it was stated at some point that everyone who eats a Devil Fruit gains some intuitive understanding of what it does and how it works, even if it takes some skill and effort to master. Kinemon doesn't even seem to know what a Devil Fruit is (I wonder if the Straw Hats filled him in on that point) but he does know that he can turn objects into clothes, and gets some pretty good utility out of it. However, as seen with Luffy and Sabo, ones that cause such drastic changes to your body and fighting style require a lot of training to get the hang of, Luffy had to outright re-learn how to use his body and Sabo probably has to do something similar to get the most out of his fruit. That said, it seems like Zoan fruits aren't too hard to get the hang of, possibly because they come with the intuition and instincts of the animal (or whatever) in question.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

IIRC Moria got knocked out by Shadow Luffy, but getting knocked out wasn't enough to release the shadows. They had to somehow force Moria to release them. They defeated Oz while Moria was unconscious. When he woke up, he became enraged and called all the shadows he controlled on Thriller Bark into his body to mimic Luffy's power up. However, Moria absorbed so many shadows that even he couldn't control them all. After getting punched in the stomach a bunch of times, Moria lost control and barfed out all the shadows, similar to how Luffy lost all his absorbed shadows.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbp posted:

like everything else related to sabo, his entire relationship w/ ace, his amnesia, etc. are all awful.

yeah sabo's kind of annoying because he's so obviously an example of Oda making poo poo up on the spot and clumsily filling in the blanks to try to make it fit

that amnesia bit was so painful

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't care about Sabo or Ace, but I like Sabo's design better and he has a sick pipe so that's cool I guess

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love both Sabo and Ace and the Fire Fire Fruit and I probably would have voted Ace for my favorite character pre-timeskip if not for Zoro.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

IIRC Moria got knocked out by Shadow Luffy, but getting knocked out wasn't enough to release the shadows. They had to somehow force Moria to release them. They defeated Oz while Moria was unconscious. When he woke up, he became enraged and called all the shadows he controlled on Thriller Bark into his body to mimic Luffy's power up. However, Moria absorbed so many shadows that even he couldn't control them all. After getting punched in the stomach a bunch of times, Moria lost control and barfed out all the shadows, similar to how Luffy lost all his absorbed shadows.

you were right

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Manatee Cannon posted:

you were right

:hai:

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
I may be mixing things up, but wasn't Crocodile's thing that he was holding back rain in Alabasta with his powers? Thus him getting knocked out cancelled his rain block.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr_Moose posted:

I may be mixing things up, but wasn't Crocodile's thing that he was holding back rain in Alabasta with his powers? Thus him getting knocked out cancelled his rain block.

I thought he was manipulating the rain with the Dance Powder rather than his DF, and the rain returning right after he was knocked out was just a coincidence. But I admit there's ambiguity there.

Mcmccarthy
Dec 3, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I thought he was manipulating the rain with the Dance Powder rather than his DF, and the rain returning right after he was knocked out was just a coincidence. But I admit there's ambiguity there.

I think smoker released all the dance powder from captured baroque works ships and thats why it rained.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mcmccarthy posted:

I think smoker released all the dance powder from captured baroque works ships and thats why it rained.

I think he explicitly says he didn’t

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was both with Crocodile. He was using both his powers to stop the rain, and Dance powder to create draughts.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 15, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was both with Crocodile. He was using both his powers to stop the rain, and Dance powder to create draughts.

kanpai

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Mulderman posted:

Turn your fist into fire and blasting away with it seems like one of the first things you'd try when given this power.

not me. i'd go up to a girl and say "you're really hot!" and then put myself on fire

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

U-DO Burger posted:

yeah sabo's kind of annoying because he's so obviously an example of Oda making poo poo up on the spot and clumsily filling in the blanks to try to make it fit

that amnesia bit was so painful

The only bad parts of One Piece are Sabo's introduction, the Birdcage, and the Nyaban brothers.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Lpzie posted:

not me. i'd go up to a girl and say "you're really hot!" and then put myself on fire

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tolth posted:

The only bad parts of One Piece are Sabo's introduction, the Birdcage, and the Nyaban brothers.

Are the Nyaban Brothers worse than the Yeti Cool Brothers?

let it be said that i like the yeti cool brothers but think they were weird in story since they got taken out so easily

Also Sabo is fine in Luffy's flashback, only his excuse for not being present up to that point (amnesia) is not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I've never discussed Usopp's arc before, but It feels fundamentally wrong to put East Blue characters in a bottom 3 list. The Meowban brothers, like Mohji and Capaji, set the standard of the series that our protagonists fight goofy, gross-looking dudes before fighting the big bad of the arc. The reason anyone invests in reading One Piece is because they enjoyed the first 100 chapters.

What happened to your avatar?! It's my favorite one.