Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"What do you think, Tae?"
"Graaaargh."
"Hmm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I thought the cg was much improved actually, once they got past Ai's initial jitters. They were much more expressive than in past episodes, which was my main issue with it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

dogsicle posted:

if they keep balancing wacky stuff like ep5 with a few of these more character-focused eps i think i'll be pretty happy. i'm pretty attached to all the characters by now, Ai/Junko/Saki are real standouts, and i just wanna see them do well. Kotaro's general abrasiveness doesn't quite match with him getting an inspirational speech this ep, if only because i feel like all early gags of his cruelty aren't as in line with "secretly wants to help them succeed" compared to him obviously brushing off Sakura this ep with a backup plan to take matters into his own hands.

also cg seemed better this week, once they got past the point of Ai just kinda sucking due to her nerves. looking forward to their eventual 2d treatment like Iron Frill though...

I think the best insight into Kotaro is him being super shy when being interviewed before the mud race. It's pretty clear he's got no idea what he's doing and is overcompensating.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder if they are intentionally improving the CG bit by bit and then at the end we're gonna get a Precure ED quality blowout that won't, in fact, look like it was done on MMD

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They should end with an Aikatsu level cg performance

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder if they are intentionally improving the CG bit by bit and then at the end we're gonna get a Precure ED quality blowout that won't, in fact, look like it was done on MMD

I doubt it and just assume they weren't able to get the good CG people for this show.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cygames is in the shows producer and the uma musume game they are doing has CG thats 10 times smoother

We all talk about how this show is saga propaganda but cygames is leveraging some tax credits from this and they are going to spin it off into a phone idol game

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 16, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The lightning giving them all synth voices was such a stupid gag, I loved it.

And Tae continues to be the most legendary of the team, with so many amazing faces this episode.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I like that Tae appears to be getting smarter and can actually imitate vocalizations now. Also I lol'd pretty hard when they did the cheer after the huddle and you can hear her in there all like BLEEEEGH.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE2jcntX3nw

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i loving lost it at the autotune joke and then immediately lost it again when they were shooting laserbeams out of their hands

and yeah the iron frill performance pretty much confirms for me the cg is a deliberate joke. i love this goddamn show

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

fantastic

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sindai posted:

She's going to get struck by lightning again and just keep rocking out next episode.
I underestimated the show.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Given that this is a contender for top anime of the season for me, are there other shows (from any point in time)people recommend? Are idol shows usually this good?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CrazySalamander posted:

Given that this is a contender for top anime of the season for me, are there other shows (from any point in time)people recommend? Are idol shows usually this good?
As Endorph has mentioned (and me also deciding to tackle the show) I can confirm that the much referenced Aikatsu is pretty drat good at idol'ing anime.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Okay I binged it and am caught up now. Eps 3+ definitely aren't as good as the first two because it's not as rapid-fire in the jokes, but when it does make with the humor it's still great.

Some notes:

Specks is my favorite.
The cop is a solid second.
Saki in third.
Nice bird.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
At first I thought the lightning's gimmick was just to give them synthesized voices but a friend just pointed out that the glow plus that actually makes them look a lot like when vocaloids like Hatsune Miku have live concerts.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Homura and Sickle posted:

i loving lost it at the autotune joke and then immediately lost it again when they were shooting laserbeams out of their hands

and yeah the iron frill performance pretty much confirms for me the cg is a deliberate joke. i love this goddamn show

I'm beginning to think the CG usage is intentional as well. Any time they're doing performances that are like, sincere and/or off the cuff (like the death metal and rap battle, etc.) don't get 3D'd, and the more experienced idol groups like Iron Frill don't get it either. So they seem to be using it as a way to kind of represent their nervousness/inexperience with doing actual idol stuff. I think we're going to have to wait till the end to see if we get a full-blown non-3D performance from Franchouchou (like to show how far they've come) to really confirm if that's the case though.

Either way it still saves them production time in the end, so it's a pretty clever call on MAPPA's part.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I didn't think I was going to like this after the first episode, but it's become the show I look forward to the most every week. Puts a huge dumbass grin on my face every time. I really hope we get a second season.

CrazySalamander posted:

Love Live is a really good time, and each installment of it gets more over-the-top silly than the last. The drama bits mostly aren't really well-earned or well-executed but it makes up for it by being really charming and funny.

Idolmaster is a lot of fun too, with a ridiculous variety of episodic adventures like "the girls run a TV game show" or "Makoto beats the poo poo out of some yakuza suits". Lots of gorgeous traditional animation from former Gainax folks, too.

Aikatsu! is a kids' show and it has some of the merchandising trappings of that, but it's also a good time if you have the time for it. The moment that sold me on the show was the sheer insanity of the main girl Ichigo taking an axe to a giant tree and then riding it down the side of a mountain to bring it to campus so that her depressed classmate can have a christmas tree. CG is nightmarishly awful in the first few episodes but improves dramatically as it goes on.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
me every thursday

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

cygames is in the shows producer and the uma musume game they are doing has CG thats 10 times smoother

We all talk about how this show is saga propaganda but cygames is leveraging some tax credits from this and they are going to spin it off into a phone idol game

They will be on Granblue soon and Tae will be a SSR

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/granbluefantasy/status/1063091774212603904

Maybe happening!

(Tae is totally gonna be a summon to strong to be a character)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KomeradeCanadian posted:

me every thursday

I feel like they put a pretty good low-key joke in this episode. They got hit with a waterproofing spray and then went on stage wearing red tartan outfits.

They're Scotchguard Idols!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

esselfortium posted:

I didn't think I was going to like this after the first episode, but it's become the show I look forward to the most every week. Puts a huge dumbass grin on my face every time. I really hope we get a second season.

Love Live is a really good time, and each installment of it gets more over-the-top silly than the last. The drama bits mostly aren't really well-earned or well-executed but it makes up for it by being really charming and funny.

Idolmaster is a lot of fun too, with a ridiculous variety of episodic adventures like "the girls run a TV game show" or "Makoto beats the poo poo out of some yakuza suits". Lots of gorgeous traditional animation from former Gainax folks, too.

Aikatsu! is a kids' show and it has some of the merchandising trappings of that, but it's also a good time if you have the time for it. The moment that sold me on the show was the sheer insanity of the main girl Ichigo taking an axe to a giant tree and then riding it down the side of a mountain to bring it to campus so that her depressed classmate can have a christmas tree. CG is nightmarishly awful in the first few episodes but improves dramatically as it goes on.

You didn't bring up Cinderella Girls you monster.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Argas posted:

You didn't bring up Cinderella Girls you monster.
Cinderella Girls is good, but the 2011 Idolm@ster series is a goddamn treat to the senses. :dance:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck am I watching.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pollyanna posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck am I watching.

Magic. :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm only halfway through episode 2 and this show gives me hella second-hand embarrassment but it's just so loving bizarre I can't stop watching.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGz4Z78-uUw&t=2m

edit 2: Er...how's the quality from episode 3 onwards? Does it still remain at 1~2 levels, or ease off?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 17, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, 5's great.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I love this goofy rear end show.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

I'm generally of the opinion that idol stuff is garbage, but that this is good.

Try Sekkou Boys for another idol group that doesn't have a pulse.

Viridiant posted:

At first I thought the lightning's gimmick was just to give them synthesized voices but a friend just pointed out that the glow plus that actually makes them look a lot like when vocaloids like Hatsune Miku have live concerts.

That'll come in handy when people take a closer look at that magazine article and recognize the legendary Yamada Tae.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 18, 2018

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Re: the CG animation improving, wasn't there a line an episode or two back about how one of the things that gets fans invested in idols is seeing them grow and improve?

Show is less humorous and more charming as it goes along. I think it's a good trade, since you can't just keep making genre jokes. And I think I'm actually really starting to like Mezame Returner.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/EBICHIRI_MAN/status/1063784573350248448

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/inaRNP/status/1064914038113501184

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I can't articulate why, but this is the funniest thing I've seen all week:
https://twitter.com/inaRNP/status/1065009561864523778
god bless fandom cross-pollination

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/suzu_x4/status/1065213806320599042

I like that the comments are asking is this Chris or is this Junko

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Why not both?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ummmmm lets just wipe this because...well

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 22, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Who put these feelings in my comedy zombie idol show :mad:

Look like next episode is about Saki's old gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Suddenly got awfully dusty in this thread... :unsmith:

That death was pretty funny though.

Saki owned this episode (and also every episode) and I can't wait to meet her gang. :dance:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 22, 2018