Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

an anime would be cool but only if it's not like black clover levels of filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it seems like it would be more like mha, and they just adapt the existing completed arc and then stop until more material is available.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

We're nearly done with the second major arc so that's enough material for a season or two.

Also yeah, other than One Piece are there any shonen animes left that stick to the "an episode every week, for the next 20 years" model? It seems like the industry pretty much embraced the 12/24 episode model by this point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

We're nearly done with the second major arc so that's enough material for a season or two.

Also yeah, other than One Piece are there any shonen animes left that stick to the "an episode every week, for the next 20 years" model? It seems like the industry pretty much embraced the 12/24 episode model by this point.

there was way more than that to go on for black clover tho

the deciding factor isn't how much backlog there is; it's what studio the adaption is given to

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

Detective Conan
It will never end.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

a cartoon duck posted:

Obviously Naruto/Boruto and maybe Pokemon if you want to count it too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was way more than that to go on for black clover tho

the deciding factor isn't how much backlog there is; it's what studio the adaption is given to

it's gotta be related to a bunch of committee meeting stuff more than just the studio. even Pierrot isn't exclusively doing long-runners, there are plenty of recent adaptations that ran for one or two cours.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Toei is the one studio that comes to mind where I'd expect a full-year run, based mostly on their track record with Toriko and World Trigger, but those are also the only two WSJ adaptations they've picked up in the past decade. if you throw OLM in, i don't think they've done anything WSJ so it seems like a stretch.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lurking Haro posted:

Detective Conan
It will never end.

Detective Conan is still going? Have they even made any progress on the main plot or have they decided to just stick to case-of-the-week things for the foreseeable future?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Conan main plog progress is insanely slow but it's there, I think like 2-3 arcs per year are dedicated to it. There was a lot of lore dropping happening recently that connected a bunch of pre-existing characters into the main plot so it seems like it's building to a big reveal involving the second in command of the organization. The big issue right now is the author is taking several hiatuses.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
new chapter

This is a really good way to go at the petrifying mystery and fits perfectly in the setting. Much better than a sudden third group showing up.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I'm glad Senku's first act as the new world president was to bring back anime.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sooo what are they gonna do if whatever petrified everyone isn't in Japan? Oh who I am kidding, of course it's in Japan.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

RatHat posted:

Sooo what are they gonna do if whatever petrified everyone isn't in Japan? Oh who I am kidding, of course it's in Japan.

I'm sure Senku knows exactly how Polynesians and Vikings crossed oceans with boats that are well within the village's capacity to make.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gently caress, what a good comic

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

new chapter

This is a really good way to go at the petrifying mystery and fits perfectly in the setting. Much better than a sudden third group showing up.

yea that's a great set up for the next act. I like it a lot

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Patware posted:

gently caress, what a good comic
This forever, what a cool transition into the next arc.

That said, I hope Senku has one hell of a good theory as to where this petrification stuff came from because I'm not sure how long Tsukasa's gonna last with his lung all hosed up. It's just an Anime Wound and he's Really Strong though, so he'll probably hang in there while they do some science.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This forever, what a cool transition into the next arc.

That said, I hope Senku has one hell of a good theory as to where this petrification stuff came from because I'm not sure how long Tsukasa's gonna last with his lung all hosed up. It's just an Anime Wound and he's Really Strong though, so he'll probably hang in there while they do some science.

Well Ruri held on from chronic TB with nothing but hot water
Anime people are just plain better than you.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RatHat posted:

Its in south America I think.

I checked Chapter 44 Long time ago but they pinpoint the beams generalized area.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 9, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RatHat posted:

they already know where it is. it's in south america.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they already know where it is. it's in south america.

They're going to make a plane for the next arc. This should be good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man what a fantastic ending to a great arc. Stone Wars lived up to all the hype. I'm glad the initial skepticism some people had about this arc was proven unjust.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Darth TNT posted:

They're going to make a plane for the next arc. This should be good.

New folk: "You're going to build a boat?"

People who have met Senkuu: "He's going to build a plane."

Senkuu: "We're building a space shuttle!"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One thing that I really love about this series is just how well they're able to weave together silly and serious. One page you've got characters posing dramatically with well-defined faces and expressions, and then on the next they're doing a Tex Avery wild take. And it just works.

Great stuff in this chapter:

Hyouga getting zapped (carries over from last chapter)
Senku + Tsukasa high-five
Yuzuriha reveals the massive pile of shattered statues
The cell phone is fixed and they contact the village
The last few pages setting up the third arc

Also, I didn't realize that upcoming announcement is next week, not this week.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Boichi is genuinely a good and incredibly expressive artist.

also restating his bottomless well of horndoggo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's surprising how effectively they handled some of tsukasa's face turn by making it clear not that he was misguided, but that he definitely knew the weight of what he was doing and was doing it with at least some amount of manly japanese respect

plus it turned out it didn't matter because yuzuriha is a crazy person

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I love Dr. Stone

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Patware posted:

plus it turned out it didn't matter because yuzuriha is a crazy person
Technically Senku is the craziest person since he came up with the idea. I don't think anyone but him would have even considered that an option. But one cannot understate Yuzuriha's formidable craziness for agreeing to do it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1062943800241209344?s=19

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Get excited!

It's so cool that all of my favorite Jump manga are getting anime. It's unfortunate what happened to Black Clover, but I hope We Never Learn, The Promised Neverland, and Dr. Stone all get more of the Haikyu treatment and less of the Toriko/Black Clover/World Trigger treatment. They're shorter series' though, so I have higher expectations compared to long running battle manga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The biggest issue I see with a Dr. Stone anime is people dropping it early based on the initial presentation of Taiju as the protagonist, and the only good stopping point for a first season being just after the reigns switch over to Senku, when he discovers Ishigami Village.

That said I'm incredibly excited. Dr. Stone is such a unique spin on shonen and deserves to shine with a good anime.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

TriffTshngo posted:

The biggest issue I see with a Dr. Stone anime is people dropping it early based on the initial presentation of Taiju as the protagonist, and the only good stopping point for a first season being just after the reigns switch over to Senku, when he discovers Ishigami Village.

That said I'm incredibly excited. Dr. Stone is such a unique spin on shonen and deserves to shine with a good anime.

I'm hoping the first season continues all the way to the end of the tournament, or even the astronauts final fates. Or even better, 24 episodes till the end of the Stone Wars.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TriffTshngo posted:

Absolutely agree on the latter, it has more than earned a quality adaptation and I hope it finds the kind of success Haikyu and My Hero Academia did after their anime.

I don't think it would take a whole season for them to reach the Senku/Taiju breaking point though. I just checked and the Taiju/Senku split is only 13 chapters into the series. Even something as slow as One Piece could cover that in a season, but any decently paced adaptation could do that in half the time.

I honestly don't know where they'd cut it with a 12/13 episode season, but if they get a 24-26 episode run then they could easily get up to to the end of the tournament or right up to before the Stone Wars arc, either of those would make a great ending.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 15, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eeepies posted:

I'm hoping the first season continues all the way to the end of the tournament, or even the astronauts final fates. Or even better, 24 episodes till the end of the Stone Wars.

that would mean that they either wait for years to do season 2 like with attack on titan or we enter filler hell

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TriffTshngo posted:

Senku discovers the village at like chapter 15 or so. Stopping the first season there would mean going like a chapter an episode.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm going to be really interested in seeing how Boichi's artstyle translates to anime

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I'm going to be really interested in seeing how Boichi's artstyle translates to anime

I'm afraid it's gonna be like the golden kamui anime where the facial expressions suck

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm afraid it's gonna be like the golden kamui anime where the facial expressions suck

That was only true for like half of the first cour.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/83/page/1

New chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Sid Meyer's Civilization: the Manga.