Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Tokamak posted:

I can't stop thinking about how badly designed this train network is. In the far flung future where people are colonising planets and building cities from scratch, city planners are duplicating large sections of track to run routes consisting of two stops.

Apparently it isn't a programming issue, since the Gate 3 and Gate 4 routes share a segment of track. Also the six perimeter gate routes depart from two platforms. Which implies the engine code can handle routes sharing both track and platforms. CIG spent a heap of programming and artist man hours to get the engine and art assets ready, only for the level designer to come up with the least thoughtful layout possible. Chris is supposedly a perfectionist, but then lets poo poo like this slide by. smh.

Nine hundred and fifty years in the future, building new cities on new planets with the chance to start fresh with new technology and better understanding of the universe, and people still design train systems poorly. In a well written game this could be sold as a thing in lore, that humanity never really learns, that bureaucracy always wins and nothing changes.

But this is Star Citizen, so it's just designed poorly because the game designers don't know what they're doing.

Edit: taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I too live in a world where I see Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill and immediately can't picture him as anything other than that guy from that one game wing captain.

Maybe I'm nuts but he's Luke and he's the best Joker in my mind generally. :)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hav posted:

Not a recommendation, but take a look at ‘sunless skies’.

Probably a better idea to check out Sunless Sea instead. It is the previous game and is actually finished (and also cheaper). It's sea based, not sky based, but you can pretend it is spaceships with a nautical theme.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

The lengths that Citizens are dreaming up just to avoid the hangar congestion are kind of amazing:

OOOOOOOOOR

And I'm just spitballing here

They could quit loving building major player hubs with like 6 landing pads and also stop putting the spawn terminals more than 5 minutes of travel time away from the loving pads!

This idea is not immersive. :colbert:

Honestly it should be 10 minutes, and at least one elevator ride and a tram ride before you can get to your place.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Battlefield 5 AAR
----------------------------------

Combat: slick as ever, with very few hitches. Being able to pick servers means you can get the highest fidelity ping. Only issue i noticed was some stuttering from movement/player model, which also affected the revive mechanic. Not game breaking, and not all too common.

Guns: selection is limited, but its EA and Dice and theyve surely already planned a massive increase in the firearms and weapons category. Gun sounds are great, they "feel" great. Only major problem is bolt action rifles (again) really falter. They aren't good for close quarters stuff and they dont do enough damage to reliably down your target. And two shots as a sniper is hard enough with the scope moving all the drat time. Only major bug I had was when exiting a vehicle, the scope wasnt aligned with "my" eye whenever i zoomed in.

Static emplacements: building sansbag walls, barbed wire fences, trenches, and other poo poo is fun, rewarding and relatively useful. I feel like the AT guns are a little too vulnerable, as youll often die at the helm. No mortars, sadly, but mg turrets are always fun.

Tanks: havent driven one yet, they seem fun and dont nove at crazy speeds.you cant spam repairs so its much easier to take out. That being said they are tough and generally have tools to defend themselves against unfortunate infantry. Flamethrower tanks are fun.

Planes: I have the same complaints as for Battlefield 1. Flak guns do too little vs them, planes maneuver like poo poo and being able to repair while inflight can really abuse the system. If you have a good enough bomber pilot, you can easily win maps

Vehicles/transports: Funnest moments I had involved a halftrack I drove around and some friends in the back seats shooting aqay with mg34s. The ability to tow poo poo around is great, but is open to abuse by idiots who tow a valuable asset to a corner of the map and leave it stranded there.

Overall Id say its a decent entry in the franchise. Havent spent any time with the campaigns, but profression seems to be decently paced. I would hope theyd change some UI bits but if you liked any prior games in the series, you will enjoy 5.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Ah yes, I remember those "salty tears" he speaks of:

Don't tell Babbynix, but at the time I didn't even know I got rammed lol. I just assumed some glitch had killed me.

Look, Babuinix has to take whatever victories he can get, he's French after all

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
OH AND gently caress ACCURACY IM PLAYING AS A VIOLENT BLACK QOMAN KILLING NAZIS WOOOOOOOÒOO

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

OH AND gently caress ACCURACY IM PLAYING AS A VIOLENT BLACK QOMAN KILLING NAZIS WOOOOOOOÒOO

fukkin sjws ruining bideogames

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Titanic posted:

I too live in a world where I see Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill and immediately can't picture him as anything other than that guy from that one game wing captain.

Maybe I'm nuts but he's Luke and he's the best Joker in my mind generally. :)

please don't suggest that 54 Year Old Heroes Of The Mights OR Magics might have some mental issues.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Look, Babuinix has to take whatever victories he can get, he's French after all
Wait but I thought you were, you know...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fashionable Jorts posted:

fukkin sjws ruining bideogames

Hell yeah i dont want to play with whiny bitchass nerds anyways. Gimme the heavy drinkers that want to wring my neck because i launched a rocket in his face and then we meet at the bar and laugh it off with a pint or two.

LIKE THE GOOD OLE DAYS!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Spiderdrake posted:

Wait but I thought you were, you know...

I surrender, I surrender!

Hahahahahahahahaha

*slowly raises arms up*

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

This idea is not immersive. :colbert:

Honestly it should be 10 minutes, and at least one elevator ride and a tram ride before you can get to your place.

10 minutes, a trip through the parking garage, a tram ride, a one hour wait at customs, then an hour for ground crew readiness checks, another 15 minutes of preflight takeoff checks, then lift off and immediately hit the ceiling and explode because the hangar doors glitched and failed to open

Only then will Star Citizen reach its full potential

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And lo, he sighed heavily and withdrew his white flag from its sheath

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh also i hosed up a ju88 that flew over me with a panzerfaust and it was loving dope as i watched it spiral into the ground

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Vox Machinae

UGHGHHHH I want to play that with VR.

I also want Mechwarrior 5 or whatever it is going to be called.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mna6RrIM8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBFnoVr0_ck

I'm waiting for Godot along with a lot of other people. VR costs to much to upgrade as you don't have plug and play parts like PCs do. Hopefully the billions that Valve has skimmed off the top of every steam game sale has gone to good use.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh also i hosed up a ju88 that flew over me with a panzerfaust and it was loving dope as i watched it spiral into the ground

isn't that friendly fire?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

I bought into the Oculus DK1 and currently own a Vive headset. I think that VR is currently in a very sorry state. It has been captured by a bunch of C-suite execs who want to treat it as a walled garden akin to mobile phone games, instead of the ubiquitous "Monitor replacement" tech that it should have been. The games being released for VR are almost universally just lovely one-note cash ins or VR conversions of dated PC games, with a few notable exceptions like Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, or Elite Dangerous. Stuff like Orbus VR that really shows what virtual gaming should have been will never get the support it needs to grow beyond second rate steam-store dumpster fodder.

I think VR will eventually get up out of this ghetto, but it's going to be another decade.

Games/Experiences I recommend in VR if you can get them cheap:
Arizona Sunshine
Elite Dangerous
Hotdogs Horseshoes And Hand Grenades
IL-2 Sturmovik
Google's Paint App
Google Earth
"The Gallery" parts 1/2 and eventually 3
Vox Machinae

On PSVR, Hellblade VR and Moss are two gaming experiences one remembers for a long time. Especially Moss, it's an awesome VR game. Oh, and Resident Evil 7 in VR...but to be honest, I couldn't play it in VR for too long, it was too much for me....yeah, I'm a wuss...

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I want to man a flak88 and poopstomp troops i/o with it

can bf5 provide me with this gameplay

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ben alt account spotted as 54yroldHOTMOM?

Also lol that people think Sandi has these great acting chops, what evidence has anyone ever seen? Aside from her acting like a bitch 99% of the time on camera

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

tuo posted:

On PSVR, Hellblade VR and Moss are two gaming experiences one remembers for a long time.

Oh drat yeah hellblade. The face work they did with Senua is drat amazing.

Hav posted:

Not a recommendation, but take a look at ‘sunless skies’.

Tokamak posted:

Probably a better idea to check out Sunless Sea instead. It is the previous game and is actually finished (and also cheaper). It's sea based, not sky based, but you can pretend it is spaceships with a nautical theme.

I saw an LP of Sunless boats. Something about it kept me from really wanting to engage in it. I was looking forward to the submarine expansion and the joys of trying to claw around in the dark with only sound as your guide. I was sorely disappointed by what I saw. I've seen sunless spaceboat/train. I think something about their narrative universe is not to my taste. Not really sure. If it is on sale I'll probably try it. I have a bunch of SteamBucks from returning CoC-2018 after I experienced the worst idea in new gamedev for horror: The boss enemy that is alerted to your presence when you look at it (also in direct contradiction with opening cutscene for said boss).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

???

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Blue On Blue posted:

Ben alt account spotted as 54yroldHOTMOM?

Also lol that people think Sandi has these great acting chops, what evidence has anyone ever seen? Aside from her acting like a bitch 99% of the time on camera

look, Sandi says she's an actress, she must be a really good actress

*Sandi gets used by some film school student director and has every scene with her cut from the film*

ah, nevertheless...

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

I might download it for the free week but I doubt I'll be able to run it.

PC spec;

i5; 8gb RAM; GTX 960

I have an SSD. This is running AC Odyssey at 60fps on high quality no problems, but I expect store citizer needs about 32gb ram and a 8gb 1080 or some poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

It's not mysogyny, though. It's a general dislike for the very specific person behind the character.

I'm actually hugely looking forward to seeing it, because there's almost no chance I'm going to buy Sq42, but I'm super eager to see other people's reactions to it.

I'm already imagining this is going to be the focal character. Really your character is going to be "cameraman" for whatever this character does. She'll be respected by everybody (because there's no way they'll have the real actors treating her poorly when half this thing was done so they could hobnob), and I fully wither to basically be the main character.

All the main story arcs will probably revolve around her in some way, and every big name actors character she will be a part of.

If this comes to fruition, it may be hilarious. I have a feeling more than a few people will be playing the game looking like this:

And frankly I can't wait. I hope Sq42 comes out sooner rather than later because it's going to be a treasure trove of cringe.

It'll be more like there will be male two commandos that, having Gillian Anderson and Rhona Mitra in front of them will be all like "Pusher is so incredibly sexy and attractive, and smart and intelligent, plus she's the best pilot. The old man even remembers her name! She walks like a ballerina, has the grace of a cat, the voice of an angel, and a heart the size of Crusader. I've also heard that she's also an excellent actress! It's such a shame she's so unapproachable and perfect. ".

Then Gillian and Rhona will approach and be all like "Yes! Our deepest regret is to have been born women in a world where Pusher is 100% heterosexual. But pay no attention to us boys! We'll go do our regular patrol and get captured or something, as we inferior women tend to do".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Pipes posted:

I might download it for the free week but I doubt I'll be able to run it.

PC spec;

i5; 8gb RAM; GTX 960

I have an SSD. This is running AC Odyssey at 60fps on high quality no problems, but I expect store citizer needs about 32gb ram and a 8gb 1080 or some poo poo.

It needs at least 16gb of RAM to run "properly". Don't bother.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Guys, lay off Pusher42, OR ELSE

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

Get TrinusPSVR on your PC and play Elite Dangerous.

Use a PS4 controller.

i will try that!! thanks

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

people keep saying this is a bad haircut, but it just looks like she's wearing a service cap to me

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

If this game ever releases, the only people playing it will be the whales and goons.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

iron buns posted:

If this game ever releases, the only people playing it will be the whales and goons.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

To the cultists:

I have some news to enlighten you: Star Citizen is going to be released sometime. No... not the game you've been fantasizing about. No... not the vast seamlessly blended MMO featuring planets, dogfighting, FPS gameplay, AI indistinguishable from players, 50-man carriers roaming space and defending small mining ships from pirates, procedurally generated cocktails and birds. That game doesn't exist, that game won't ever exist - despite the fact that that game has been sold to you to the tune of 200 million dollars.

But a game will release, and THAT game will be very little that you were promised. It will have abysmal netcode, shallow gameplay, decent visuals, and mediocre reviews. It will not draw populations of players like WoW, not even close. People will compare the game they "launch" to what they promised and take note of the stark differences. CiG will hand wave this away by claiming it's a "soft launch" and that "development never really ends." It's a weak shield to legitimate criticism, but you will eat it up. You will be playing the biggest flop in MMO history - but we all know you will love it to pieces despite having every rug pulled out from under you. Such is your faith and devotion to Chris Robberts.

This is the reality that you, and the goons face. A game will "launch", CiG will not implode to an FBI raid after CRYTEK leaks their financials - nor will they ever make the game they have sold to you. It will be a happy bland middle - falling drastically short of anyone's expectations.

Here's the kicker: The only interesting thing which will be going on in Star Citizen is the constant and unrelenting battle of goons vs. cultists.

You need us.

We are the only thing that can provide a glimmer of entertainment with whatever hot mess eventually makes its way to STEAM. We are the bad guys, we are your motive force. We are the only group of people who can be relied upon to play this game with you, regardless of how lovely Star Citizen is. We will be there.

So carry on trying to obfuscate, deflect, and conveniently forget everything CiG is doing during the development of this rolling disaster. When the day finally comes for your autistic birthday party - we are the only kids who are going to show up.

See you in the 'verse.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Update:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Armadillo Tank posted:

UGHGHHHH I want to play that with VR.

I also want Mechwarrior 5 or whatever it is going to be called.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mna6RrIM8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBFnoVr0_ck

I'm waiting for Godot along with a lot of other people. VR costs to much to upgrade as you don't have plug and play parts like PCs do. Hopefully the billions that Valve has skimmed off the top of every steam game sale has gone to good use.

I played it when it 1st came out, it was fun for a bit then you realise there's no depth. You kind of run around till you get a kill because the person you ran into was already damaged you take some damage during this fight then you become someones kill because you were damaged.

The VR mech side of things was pretty nice but the game was a very shallow, perhaps they will improve things and i'll buy back in, but I got my refund for now.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

isn't that friendly fire?

Not if you murdered a nazi to get it.