Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

isndl posted:

Why can't tittybird nurse Sette? She has the tits for it! :v:

And they're toxic: Before - After

Her poison boobs are making the Khert too loving crowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Ssael was killed by being fed to lions. Mikaila and Duane talk about it in the flashback:
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_65.html

A few pages later Will references the Ssaelit armed forces being called the Lions of Mercy, so they were sacred to the Ssaelit and presumably the Gefendur wiped them out.

The fact that Ilganyag is calling Ssael a friend makes me wonder if she had something to do with how he was able to enter the khert without having his memories dispersed - much in the same way Duane's soul navigates it. Ilganyag probably gave Bastion whatever information he needed to pull off what he did to Duane, and either she or Ssael figured it out back in the day and shared information. I wonder when she started the Black Tongues relative to that. If she ever tells Duane any of that poo poo his not-brain will probably melt.

Also, anybody notice that the lion next to baby Sette doesn't have a tail?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly I can't really follow most of the Khert stuff. There's a real lack of clear information as well as a lack of...dramatic importance? I'm sure the ultimate destination of all these souls matters in the long run, but it doesn't seem like a pressing issue. They're not going anywhere; haven't for centuries.

It kinda does remind me of deviantart. Ilyanag, Murkoph, and the Khert have a bit of that kind of aesthetic, although better implemented. Also the fact that their narrative is happening mostly offscreen in lore infodumps. Don't get me wrong, I've read plenty of that kind of stuff, but it's not really the comic I bought into back in the day.

The pressing issue plotwise isn't the fate of peoples' souls, but that's what motivates Bastion and Delecieu, the latter of whom seems to have some kind of plan to destroy the Khert now (?)

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.

Cat Mattress posted:

And they're toxic: Before - After

Her poison boobs are making the Khert too loving crowded.

:vince:

also good catch! i never noticed the narrative part of the stained glass, just that it depicted ilganyag. rahm really has no right to be condescending about iori owning portraits of the queen when their house has a whole drat series of windows devoted to his bird boss flapping around committing infanticide.

one might say he has no leg to stand on.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The two new pages are excellent and I recommend rereading the preceding one too, so I'm linking N Minus Two: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_125.html

Sette would love playing Morrowind

also, 'ilganyag is tirna' just got a big ol' visual data point

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 16, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sette is too powerful

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

So Jivvi's hat being used as a soup bowl was just a pleasant side effect of robbing everyone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sette really doesn't know how to process people not treating her like dirt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
*blushes madly* HERE'S A LINK.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fabricated posted:

Sette really doesn't know how to process people not treating her like dirt.

you know what we call nice people in Sharteshane?

marks

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you know what we call nice people in Sharteshane?

marks

Woah now, the word mark comes from putting an actual literal mark on their back so the other carnies know they're a good target, and I'm sure any Sharte would ever make things easier for their competitors. They surely have some other synonymous word with a different origin.

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.
so this isn't related to the recent updates, more of a general question - any thoughts why doesn't unsounded have a bigger following? you'd think it'd hit all the same sweet spots that younger people in particular would like. yes, there's amazing art, and a huge overarching storyline, but what i think a big draw for younger people is something like classpects in homestuck or houses in harry potter or different benders in atla, and in unsounded you have the different nations people can sort themselves into, and the different castes, too. it seems really suited to that kind of following, and i'm not sure why it hasn't picked up.

basically, it reminds me of homestuck in a certain way, not in art or even in story, but in a sort of general sense, and it's surprising to me that it seems like such a hidden gem.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a little more gruesome about the child murder and it references pedophilia p openly. the worlds too overtly grindingly awful for it to be fun to slot oneself into one of its boxes

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Also its very dense and a slow burn. The caste thing doesn't show up for many many pages, for example. Even now if you don't read stuff like Cope's tumblr or her Patreon you don't have a full picture of the aldish castes just from the comic. I think the comic stands on its own if you take some time to reread and think about things a tad, but thats more investment than your average webcomic.

Also a few people I've shown the comic to don't want to read it because they don't like Sette which is a terribly wrong opinion but that is probably pretty common.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my roommate checked out after like 3 pages for that reason

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've been reading it for years and I'm still not sure I understand what's really going on. Homestuck had a bit of the "read it twice and mull it over" thing with major animations but for Unsounded it's every page.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its really quite impressive how dense it manages to be

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

its really quite impressive how dense it manages to be

the author repeatedly brings up Herman Melville as her primary literary inspiration and boy does it show

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the yellow dog posted:

so this isn't related to the recent updates, more of a general question - any thoughts why doesn't unsounded have a bigger following? you'd think it'd hit all the same sweet spots that younger people in particular would like. yes, there's amazing art, and a huge overarching storyline, but what i think a big draw for younger people is something like classpects in homestuck or houses in harry potter or different benders in atla, and in unsounded you have the different nations people can sort themselves into, and the different castes, too. it seems really suited to that kind of following, and i'm not sure why it hasn't picked up.

basically, it reminds me of homestuck in a certain way, not in art or even in story, but in a sort of general sense, and it's surprising to me that it seems like such a hidden gem.

Homestuck didn't have "amazing art" it just had an audience participation component that drew a crowd and updated every single day until it got huge

there's a lot of well-drawn comics out there, and a lot of "huge overarching storylines", and every other loving fantasy comic has a way more obvious 'which Hogwarts house are you' classification tismo scheme, these are not special and they're not actually what gets the kids these days reading.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Straight White Shark posted:

the author repeatedly brings up Herman Melville as her primary literary inspiration and boy does it show

I was going to bring this up, to the author the denseness isn't a bug, but a feature, considering her favorite novel is Moby Dick.

the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Homestuck didn't have "amazing art" it just had an audience participation component that drew a crowd and updated every single day until it got huge

there's a lot of well-drawn comics out there, and a lot of "huge overarching storylines", and every other loving fantasy comic has a way more obvious 'which Hogwarts house are you' classification tismo scheme, these are not special and they're not actually what gets the kids these days reading.

yeah, i was talking about unsounded's art when i said that, and i wasn't saying that having a long narrative is unique. (homestuck DID have some amazing use of color, though, and was very pretty once it got further away from the sprite look and didn't have 6 billion guest artists shoving in 6 billion different art styles). i'm not even talking about what gets people reading, i'm more thinking about what kind of things catch on and develop a fandom, specifically on tumblr (i don't know what other sites are out there, if there are others.) i think the whole "being able to slot yourself neatly into the world of the story" is one of the big draws for that kind of engagement.

i get that it is really dense and can get confusing, but it's nice to look at, fun to read, and updates consistently. it also has been around for 6? years, and there's no sign of the author burning out. people waited what, two years for that insufferable homestuck/skyrim thing, but this has been 3x a week every week outside of very specifically scheduled breaks.

it just feels like it should have a bigger following, and i'm consistently surprised it doesn't.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gally posted:

Also a few people I've shown the comic to don't want to read it because they don't like Sette which is a terribly wrong opinion but that is probably pretty common.

Sette is really unbearable in the intro chapter. That can create a bad first impression if you don't have much tolerance for stories about obnoxious brats.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the ones that really take off have a strong wish-fulfillment component to them, the audience has want to slot themselves neatly into the world of the story, and Unsounded is mainly about awful people doing awful things to each other

that can make for a good read but it's not really the kind of thing people fantasize about, y'know?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

the ones that really take off have a strong wish-fulfillment component to them, the audience has want to slot themselves neatly into the world of the story, and Unsounded is mainly about awful people doing awful things to each other

that can make for a good read but it's not really the kind of thing people fantasize about, y'know?
This is part why it's funny to me that fantrolls took off so much considering Alternia is entirely based on awful people doing awful things to each other. But while Homestuck is entirely upfront about that it's also comedic, and Unsounded is... not, particularly.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah exactly

hell Homestuck and plenty of other popular media blow up the Earth and kill everybody the characters have ever known but because it's presented as dramatic and cool instead of fuckin wretched that becomes an escapist fantasy people swoon over, they wanna be the last survivor overcoming the evil monsters what blowed up their tragic backstory. Unsounded is wretched about it, when people die it's traumatic not a literary flourish to make the important peoples' own plotlines all the more noble.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

yeah exactly

hell Homestuck and plenty of other popular media blow up the Earth and kill everybody the characters have ever known but because it's presented as dramatic and cool instead of fuckin wretched that becomes an escapist fantasy people swoon over, they wanna be the last survivor overcoming the evil monsters what blowed up their tragic backstory. Unsounded is wretched about it, when people die it's traumatic not a literary flourish to make the important peoples' own plotlines all the more noble.
Eh, I could argue that Homestuck can actually get more brutal with that then what you're saying, but it's absolutely portrayed as cool and noble on the surface and Unsounded doesn't even do that, it just goes 'they're loving dead now and this fucks up a lot of people on a personal and societal level and you can never take it back, now let's watch Queen Sonorie dream about her sister choking on her own blood'.

Like don't get me wrong I'm absolutely a fan of Unsounded but it is really not escapist and a lot of times fantasy is an explicitly escapist genre. It's not as bad as Game of Thrones, but it's a really depressing story and even a bittersweet ending is going to have to be worked really hard for. Even with the 'sorting hat' esque possibility of people making fan characters or self-inserts, at least with the Hogwarts houses or even Homestuck castes there's like, cool things that go along with it, like 'my character can talk to dead people' or 'this means i'm really brave :)', which is definitely not how Unsounded presents things.

...does have a similar thing of the shortest-lived caste being really strong, but since not everyone is a young teenager even the tragedy of an absurdly short lifespan is much more in your face.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sette is really unbearable in the intro chapter. That can create a bad first impression if you don't have much tolerance for stories about obnoxious brats.

I'm normally pretty obnoxibrat intolerant but Sette really appealed as a character from the start. She hasn't even changed much fundamentally the whole time its just been contextualized more and more.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Gally posted:

Tollymain posted:

my roommate checked out after like 3 pages for that reason

Cat Mattress posted:

I've seen it recommended multiple times to just skip the first chapter and go back and re-read it. I can't argue, it works better as a flashback. After reading through the story, you get to know Sette more, and I think she becomes reasonably understandable and even likeable. If it wasn't for this advice, I would have skipped the comic entirely, which would have been a shame because it is really good.

Hitting the reader straight up head on at the beginning with "look at this obnoxious annoying brat of a main character, you wanna invest your time dealing with this? read on!" out of context seems like one of the best way to drive off readers possible.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Also, the above stated denseness of the comic is definitely a thing. While its true that the comic stands up on its own, it feels like following the tumblr is almost required reading if you want to even half know what is going on. I appreciate it being there, but it's strange to feel the need to read a steady stream of Ashley saying "Actually what I meant was..."

Having the whole Undsounded universe fleshed out in her head from years of roleplaying makes for a very unique and interesting setting with unique and interesting characters.

It also can leave a bit of unsatisfying emptiness where the reader feels a bit left in the dark, with the constant refrain on tumblr of "oh I can't explain what is going on because the comic will get to it one day" when the artist freely admits that "one day" is often years down the road. I totally understand not wanting to throw out spoilers, but with so many characters, settings, and story lines, moving at such a slow pace, it can be frustrating.

Again, don't get me wrong, the comic is really good, probably my favorite one currently online, and I have much praise. However, while wanting to understand things sooner isn't the worst criticism out there, it being slightly more transparent would be nice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think the comic does a pretty good job of standing on its own without supplemental materials, in part because of the denseness--there's a fuckin ton of context cues to fill in what's going on. Also exposition.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I liked Sette (and Duane) pretty much immediately so it's a bit weird to hear she's turned so many people away. I mean, I suppose I'd understand if this were one of those stories where the bratty kid is clearly the author's favorite who we're supposed to love by fiat, but three pages in is at least far enough to indicate she and Duane exist on a level playing field of giving as good as they get. Heck, page one, Duane's literal character establishing moment is him rocketing up the side of the mountain all graceful-like (Sette having climbed up the old fashioned way), blithely humoring her self-important boasting with barely-restrained sarcasm. The narrative wastes very little time establishing Sette isn't going to be babied or spared for her behavior, which I'll admit is a concern with some history in the webcomic community.

I can better understand Starfish turning people away, or possibly the density of it all. For as much as we loving talking, the Internet in general seems fairly hostile towards the actual act of reading (tl;dr). Either way, it's still my favorite webcomic, the only webcomic I've ever physically purchased, and I'll likely follow it all the way to the end.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't remember why but I found Sette really annoying when I first started reading this, so I can totally understand people not getting past the first chapter. I think "skip it and treat it as a flashback later" is good advice for getting into Unsounded in that case.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't understand that sentiment at all. Sette and Duane's relationship at the beginning is what got me into it. That's so strange.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, I loved the way Sette and Duane balanced each other out. Sette on her own or Duane on his own right up front might have been unappealing to me (even tho I definitely love them both now), but it's hilarious the way their personalities bounce off each other.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Been a while. There's been a bunch of updates since the last time this thread was active.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_132.html

Duane found a cozy place to sleep.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_133.html

lol @ the animated threatening display of inflated throat sacs.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_134.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_135.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_136.html

It's cute how artist girl doesn't want to write anything that would upset her plod readership in her comic, so she's asking Duane whether her plot is offensive.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_137.html

Now who could that Two-Toe deity be? I have no idea, really.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_138.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_139.html

I guess Duane doesn't ask questions because he's curious about Two Toes faith so much as because he wants some perspective about whether to trust Ilganyag.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Duane also seems pretty stoked to discover stuff about the two-toes, though - makes sense, he's a giant nerd and the only faith he hates is the Gefendur.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is this comic in any danger from the Tumblr purge? The homepage became a tumblr a while back.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is this comic in any danger from the Tumblr purge? The homepage became a tumblr a while back.

It is just a re-direct, Unsounded has a separate dedicated hosting. I don't know why the re-direct is a thing. The hosting is safe (as far as I know) and worst case scenario is the "ask" stuff would either go away or be hosted elsewhere (likely if need be).

I don't know all the ins and outs, I'm just a fan, but I wouldn't worry about it going anywhere, other then the imminent upcoming chapter break.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Twenty Four posted:

It is just a re-direct, Unsounded has a separate dedicated hosting. I don't know why the re-direct is a thing.

It's a makeshift replacement for her site's RSS feed system that broke down. Now she announced updates on tumblr and people can use tumblr's RSS feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only relevant thing is that she's moving NSFW surplus-to-actual-comic things from Tumblr to Patreon.

including a pending short story about Bastion and his brief tryst with an efheby chick that I am interested in reading because I find the efheby fascinating